Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,286 members, 7,807,968 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:22 AM

Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups (27446 Views)

Top 5 Nigerian Soups The Whole World Should Know And Love / Top 5 Nigerian Soups And Their Health Benefits. / How To Prepare Edikaikong Soup With Saliva Inducing Pictures 4rm A Nairalander (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2014
smartchoice:

undecided I may not agree with what you say but I respect your right to express your views....say no to intolerance.
@ Smart,well you are entitled to your own opinion but your post shouldn't be channelled to me but to the okpo-ebot i responded to grin. However,a nice plate of meal with a bottle of heineken will make you agree completely wink.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 3:36pm On Aug 13, 2014
lomomike:

Chief ma binu joo, you won't understand until you partake of that meal then and only then will you knw that once you go that road, there ain't no going back.

Osisikankwu I know the soup is well appreciated but the heart mostly wants what it wants. Hence my esteemed Eyop should give "oily" people a chance to express themselves biko!
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2014
smartchoice:

Osisikankwu I know the soup is well appreciated but the heart mostly wants what it wants. Hence my esteemed Eyop should give "oily" people a chance to express themselves biko!

@ Smart again like i previously commented,i gave the unam-ikot the opportunity to appreciate what he wants but he didn't allow the sleeping dog rest so i had to give it to him. Again like i previously posted,his point his business i don't care undecided.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2014
Eyop:

@ Smart again like i previously commented,i gave the unam-ikot the opportunity to appreciate what he wants but he didn't allow the sleeping dog rest so i had to give it to him. Again like i previously posted,his point his business i don't care undecided.

Take it easy bro....some of my best meals as a bachelor were made by an Urhobo lady ochuko....they weren't my tribal meals but I was open enough to try them and enjoyed them....if I .,.I mean I cook okra for yee yet life won't remain the same..... You still owe me a plate of pounded yam and edika soup o....rich man edika ni o!
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 3:57pm On Aug 13, 2014
smartchoice:

Take it easy bro....some of my best meals as a bachelor were made by an Urhobo lady ochuko....they weren't my tribal meals but I was open enough to try them and enjoyed them....if I .,.I mean I cook okra for yee yet life won't remain the same..... You still owe me a plate of pounded yam and edika soup o....rich man edika ni o!
My brother am easy sir smiley. Just like you've said,myself i appreciate Oha and bitter leaf soup prepared by my Igbo sisters(priscaoge will do justice to it for me soon grin) and does that make that my tribal meals? You need to go back to this thread and see what that guy commented that made me respond to him that way. As for pounded yam,i don't eat it ooo. Pounded yam and Fufu is a no no thing for me but i will do you better than what you propose which is Semolina with Atama soup(all assorted orishirishi inside) grin grin. hmmmm...i just pray i wouldn't encounter difficulty taking you back to your house
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
Eyop:
My brother am easy sir smiley. Just like you've said,myself i appreciate Oha and bitter leaf soup prepared by my Igbo sisters(priscaoge will do justice to it for me soon grin) and does that make that my tribal meals? You need to go back to this thread and see what that guy commented that made me respond to him that way. As for pounded yam,i don't eat it ooo. Pounded yam and Fufu is a no no thing for me but i will do you better than what you propose which is Semolina with Atama soup(all assorted orishirishi inside) grin grin. hmmmm...i just pray i wouldn't encounter difficulty taking you back to your house
Hmmmm am holding you to your words...... Tpia get ready and eyop bring priscaoge along.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by fightforchange1(f): 4:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
dellaziz:

uhm no stress.... so did Jamaicans forget that part of Africa.... I mean the SOUP CULTURES

not sure...but I kno I haven't had breakfast n that soup looks very appealing. I'm just now learning....never to late to learn.....
I feel like life is filled with opportunities to try to new things...
that's Wat it's about.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 4:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
smartchoice:
Hmmmm am holding you to your words...... Tpia get ready and eyop bring priscaoge along.
No wahala sir...and sure i trust her abilities to prepare a sumptuous meal cos she's a darling kiss she should even be in the kitchen by now grin

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by priscaoge(f): 5:14pm On Aug 13, 2014
Eyop:
grin grin grin Oha soup na my favorite too
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by dellaziz(m): 5:22pm On Aug 13, 2014
[quote author=fightforchange1]

not sure...but I kno I haven't had breakfast n that soup looks very appealing. I'm just now learning....never to late to learn.....
that's Wat it's about.[/quote

u not. being sure guess u don't. live in Jamaica then
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Forwetinnah: 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2014
whitecat007: Maybe because we set the standard you all are measured by. You even started your comment with Yoruba word and then singled out an "Efo Riro" out of all other stews/soups here. Is it because you know the your now "Edikaikong" was not originally yours? Ikokore was even made recently, with some leaves tossed in it and wahla! It Was called something else.

The Edikaikong I have tasted once about 7yrs ago in Riverdale and have seen many times at mama calabar restaurant and others in Atlanta was not inviting enough for me to want to try it again. The closest plates to pictures on this thread I've seen is that of Efo Riro.

Which standard..? Park well!! I guess you didn't see the "biko" in my post too. Its just a common slang used on social media these days. The hype about the standard thing is amusing cheesy
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Itoroetti(m): 5:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
DankemzI:

Eyen eka mmi idioko. Yak ecreate thread for mmon Akwa Ibom so that idiongo idem nyin na? Afo kid dieh?

atang akpaniko eyen eka
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by bukatyne(f): 5:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
Aitee1: That's what most of them don't grab, they all mistaken normal vegetable soup with edikaikong soup, it's only in standard restaurants and hotels like 5star one can find edikaikong soup all what u ppl eat in an eatery is vegetable soup prepared with pumpkin leaf and water leaf

What is the difference?

Seems you are a native
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by dellaziz(m): 5:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
fightforchange1:

that's Wat it's about.
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by dejavski(m): 5:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
That feeling when you're having Edikaikong as your meal right now......#heavenly grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Aitee1: 5:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
Sure I'm a proud native of Akwa Abasi Ibom state! My dear there is a big difference starting from the leaf, it is the strong almost dried kind of pumpkin leaf that's being used in cooking edikaikong soup unlike the vegitable soup where soft fresh leaf of pumpkin is used for normal vegetable soup, then the method of preparation also differ same goes with cost
bukatyne:

What is the difference?

Seems you are a native

1 Like

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 5:53pm On Aug 13, 2014
priscaoge:
grin grin grin Oha soup na my favorite too
Oh! you are such a darling kiss kiss. This our collabo is fantastic oooh cheesy. If i go to any correct restaurant and i see a well prepared Oha soup,that will be my order. That soup is something else prisca. If you sabi cook am very well,then you don get medal for my heart be that. I don't joke with a well prepared meal e.g a well prepared Oha soup(with goat meat,stockfish,dry fish,etc).
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by bukatyne(f): 6:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
Aitee1: Sure I'm a proud native of Akwa Abasi Ibom state! My dear there is a big difference starting from the leaf, it is the strong almost dried kind of pumpkin leaf that's being used in cooking edikaikong soup unlike the vegitable soup where soft fresh leaf of pumpkin is used for normal vegetable soup, then the method of preparation also differ same goes with cost

Ok, apart from the dried pumpkin(which I will never try anyways), the major difference is cost?

I cook edikaikong well and I wanted to be sure the one I cook grin

Thanks
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Aitee1: 6:20pm On Aug 13, 2014
If it is the fresh soft leafy pumpkin that you used then it's definitely not edikaikong that's normal vegetable soup that you cooked
bukatyne:

Ok, apart from the dried pumpkin(which I will never try anyways), the major difference is cost?

I cook edikaikong well and I wanted to be sure the one I cook grin

Thanks
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Sixix: 6:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
I concur wink
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by lepasharon(f): 7:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
Yessss cool

Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by saiprojects(f): 7:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
I love love Edikaikong, but meanwhile check me out making Amala and Okra Ogbono grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tHcXYjsfCA?list=UU7acI0vCWJ_abEhQOm0CmyA
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 8:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
saxywale: OP, that's your own opinion. Nothing beats my efo elegunsi

This looks so weird (to me) ... what is in this soup... Iv never seen anything like it shocked
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by flowjoe: 8:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
Chaiii see Wetin I dey miss ohh ..I be calabar boy but I never go home for once & I wan contest for local govt. Chairman grin
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by jmaine: 9:21pm On Aug 13, 2014
OdenigboAroli:

This soup isnt better than Onugbu soup cooked by an Anambra woman nor Nsala soup prepared by Asaba woman. Abeg,celebrate your food but dont say its the best.
Go to Bini,Lagos,Kano,Abuja,Jos and all the major towns in Nigeria Igbo restaurant rule indisputably. Nobi mouth,your food is popular in your hood but outside you no fit collect silver.
Even when it comes to national dishes like Okoro,Igbo woman will use ogbono to slam the taste enter your nostrils. Egusi nko,look at an Egusi that is prepared by an Igbo and tell me you dont see the difference. I have to be honest Ekoi women can cook no doubt but trying to crown then the best is share Ojoro.

Taa Quiet there . . .Just placing a sign board reading "Calabar Kitchen" , attracts customers like Hornet bees to honey . . . . Calabar dishes ranging from Afan , Edikang ikong to Ekpang Nkukwo na fire . . . The fire be like hell fire wey no dey quench . . . .

But me dey follow enjoy the Nsala soup of the Igbos wella, cos it is the equivalent of the Afia Efere of the Efiks . . . . . grin
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by jmaine: 9:23pm On Aug 13, 2014
Chillisauce: I grew up having friends from diff part of Nigeria. We make our cuisine and eat from one another. I love trying diff food. But you have to tell me what it taste like in order to program my mind earlier.
This is the ONLY soup that made me eat eba in the morning before lectures. After eating it the day before, made by my room mate, I woke her up the next morning for breakie.

See as we chop finish, enter class. See sleep shocked. I slept throughout the lecture. I had to return back to continue the sleep. Anyway, I didn't regret eating it for breakie.
Learnt the step, cooked at home, now this is what we eat in place of the normal spinach soup. My dad banned that normal spinach soup.

If you don't try this soup, before dying. Sorry,

cheesy
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 9:24pm On Aug 13, 2014
jmaine:

Taa Quiet there . . .Just placing a sign board reading "Calabar Kitchen" , attracts customers like Hornet bees to honey . . . . Calabar dishes ranging from Afan , Edikang ikong to Ekpang Nkukwo na fire . . . The fire be like hell fire wey no dey quench . . . .

But me dey follow enjoy the Nsala soup of the Igbos wella, cos it is the equivalent of the Afia Efere of the Efiks . . . . . grin
cheesy grin grin @ the bolded in Red
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by jmaine: 9:27pm On Aug 13, 2014
Eyop:
cheesy grin grin @ the bolded in Red

Na authentic confirmation . . . . . grin
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Eyop: 9:30pm On Aug 13, 2014
jmaine:

Na authentic confirmation . . . . . grin

That "Taaa Quiet there" can make someone urinate in his or her pants grin. Abeg take it easy brother
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by jmaine: 9:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
Eyop:

That "Taaa Quiet there" can make someone urinate in his or her pants grin. Abeg take it easy brother

grin grin
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by Nobody: 9:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
DankemzI:

afo aya create? So that 23rd september anye hit f.p?
. Ikpa yak ise. Mme do busy tutu....
Re: Edikaikong - The King Of Nigerian Soups by jmaine: 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
ideepaul: This is the most expensive and most difficult food to prepare in akwa ibom and cross river(can take more than 10000 for a family of more than 5)I am talking out of personal experience, 60 percent of people saying that they have eaten this soup don't know they ate Nkong soup(a soup with the same ingredients:fresh pumpkin leaves and water leaf, but easier preparation technique)... please nkong and edikanikong are not d same,its like comparing a self-contained with a duplex
just pray someone cooks this for you one day..your life won't be the same again.(maybe that is why corpers don't like returning home after service)
PROUDLY AN AKWA IBOM SON

Na lie joor, A correct Nkong Soup is the same as Edikan Ikong . .Nkong is the shortened version of it . . .All semantics . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

How To Make Goat Meat Stew / Ingredients For Cooking Half Bag Jollof Rice. / 4 Delicious Soups To Relish When In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.