Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,510 members, 7,808,866 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:18 PM

How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? (1304 Views)

A Father's Pain / Things We Believed While Growing Up / Could You Really Be A Committed Father That You Would. . . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Truckpusher(m): 1:46am On Aug 13, 2014
A friend of mine was having lots of issues with his dad at a point I had to intervene and he said his father doesn't deserve what he gets from him.
Then my question is ;How do you repay a father that never believed in you and your siblings but you all proved him wrong?

Oya Nairaland make una come helep me reconcile papa and son if and only if both of them go swallow their pride.
I want some contributions please.

Children please keep off ,I don't wanna catch any child pooing on this thread sad

1 Like

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 2:02am On Aug 13, 2014
First of all, the children proved their father wrong- that's enough payback
Try and convince the son to talk to papa, after all he is his father. The father will end up breaking the ice and he'll ask son for forgiveness
I think its shame that is holding papa, not pride.
My 5 kobo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Truckpusher(m): 2:38am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: First of all, the children proved their father wrong- that's enough payback
Try and convince the son to talk to papa, after all he is his father. The father will end up breaking the ice and he'll ask son for forgiveness
I think its shame that is holding papa, not pride.
My 5 kobo
Good ,but certainly not when the man in question is manipulative and always scheming things just for his own selfish interest which reminds the son of the bitter past.

In this case you have a whole lot of problems and they are both emotional and psychological in nature.

What will you?
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 2:45am On Aug 13, 2014
So that means papa is not repentant and he wants to show his children 'pepper'?
What sort of problems, if I may ask(be more precise)
Truckpusher: Good ,but certainly not when the man in question is manipulative and always scheming things just for his own selfish interest which reminds the son of the bitter past.

In this case you have a whole lot of problems and they are both emotional and psychological in nature.

What will you?
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Truckpusher(m): 3:00am On Aug 13, 2014
Ladystewie: So that means papa is not repentant and he wants to show his children 'pepper'?
What sort of problems, if I may ask(be more precise)
From what I have seen he's not repentant and he wants to play his role that he never did before and their parts crosses eveynow and then.Though I have this feeling that he hated him because he proved him wrong and he questioned the rational behind every move his dad makes and he has his mothers ear and heart which is a dream too far for his dad.......This is a family war and it is a reality you'll never wish your enemy.
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 3:04am On Aug 13, 2014
that's deep
seems like papa does not wish son well
It's a family issue
An it can only be resolved within the family
Truckpusher: From what I have seen he's not repentant and he wants to play his role that he never did before and their parts crosses eveynow and then.Though I have this feeling that he hated him because he proved him wrong and he questioned the rational behind every move his dad makes and he has his mothers ear and heart which is a dream too far for his dad.......This is a family war and it is a reality you'll never wish your enemy.
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 3:13am On Aug 13, 2014
Proving him wrong is enough payment. Its a strange world, maybe if the father had believed in them they wouldn't have been motivated to do well. Sometimes having people not believing in you is the catalyst we need to succeed.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by temi4fash(m): 5:57am On Aug 13, 2014
The fact that he was abe to prove the father wrong is one way of pay back.. Anoda way is to just treat him like a father and do in arms length by that I mean.. Probably sending cash and d likes to take care of his needs.. Whether he ask for it not... D man wuld no he doesn't deserve it... Now the holy book says we shld takia of those who do not wish us well by doing that we are pouring coals of fire on dere head... And it also says we shld honour our parents (weda dai Bleep up or not since dere is no condition attached) just honour them so dat ur days wuld b long..
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Pitykitten: 6:53am On Aug 13, 2014
One word. SUCCEED.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 8:41am On Aug 13, 2014
He has received the payback already by his kids proving him wrong
baba is just doing braggado and unless he is mentally ill, in the corner of his bedroom he will know that he judged his children wrong

What your friend needs to do is to continue to prove him wrong and to continue to do what a good kid will do for his father. He should not even argue with the father.
The more he is at loggerheads with the father the more he is giving the father an oppourtunity to justify his actions.

Your friend should continue to do well and treat his father with respect and love. In the end its guilt and conscience that will make the baba call his children and make peace with them.

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Dygeasy(m): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2014
chaircover: He has received the payback already by his kids proving him wrong
baba is just doing braggado and unless he is mentally ill, in the corner of his bedroom he will know that he judged his children wrong

What your friend needs to do is to continue to prove him wrong and to continue to do what a good kid will do for his father. He should not even argue with the father.
The more he is at loggerheads with the father the more he is giving the father an oppourtunity to justify his actions.

Your friend should continue to do well and treat his father with respect and love. In the end its guilt and conscience that will make the baba call his children and make peace with them.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 9:11am On Aug 13, 2014
let him shower his mother with plenty gifts and money and leave his dad empty just like Michael jackson did to his abusive dad. He died and didn't even mention him in his will. That's the sweetest payback of all times

3 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by kendrababy(f): 1:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
Add me up(29680E62)
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by chidamysy: 1:55pm On Aug 13, 2014
why this guy just dey post him pin for everywhere, u no get work ni?
kendrababy: Add me up(29680E62)
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 2:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
Daddy na daddy. The father gave him life and there is no amount of favour that will equals that let alone paying him back in bad.

But his goodness and generosity towards the dad will so humble him.
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by GreenBobo: 4:19pm On Aug 13, 2014
If every one had believed in him, who knows? Sometimes, unbelief, distrust,wickedness and their likes are only But catalyst that we should be grateful of! It's still possible that papa meant well fr his pikin! Just saying! Your breakthrough n continued success is enough payback (So to say) .
JustMakeSureThatYouContinueToSucceed cool cool cool
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 4:33pm On Aug 13, 2014
The betrayal is there. It will never change. Now he sees his father as a stranger. He might be preached to, forgive but small bitterness will still come in mind once a while.

He should just give what he has and dont sweat it. If I had a father who wasn't there for me until I had something, he is good as dead. Yes,, I forgive but you can't eat your cake and have it. I can even give all to total stranger I barely knew than give to someone who doesn't deserve it just because he donated a sperm.

As per reconciliation . He is an adult, he should find a way to do what he feels comfortable in doing.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by baralatie(m): 5:34pm On Aug 13, 2014
honour your father and your mother that it may be well with you!

the child that cuseth his father and his mother,his lamp will be blown out!

a wise son maketh his father glad,but a foolish son bring shame!

the only way is up!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by soulglo: 6:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
chaircover: He has received the payback already by his kids proving him wrong

In a fairy tell it ends this way. In reality it does not. Especially in Nigeria. It is not unusual for fathers to abandon their children and the mother slaves for her children and one day he expects something in return simply because he donated sp3rm. People would even support it because after all he is their father. Forgetting that in doing so you are further victimizing the victims. We even had a case here on NR were a mother abandoned her children when they were toddlers. Dad raised them by himself. Bought bras and pads for the girls when they hit puberty and gave them the love and attention their mother denied them. Years later they locate their mom and she has been a thorn in the flesh ever since. They owe this man nothing and if he refuses to respect himself and let his children enjoy a happy life that he denied them in childhood they should keep him at arms length. My opinion. Life is a precious gift and no one should subject anyone to suffer through it because they laid down with their mother. You only live once.

5 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by EfemenaXY: 7:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
lofty900: let him shower his mother with plenty gifts and money and leave his dad empty just like Michael jackson did to his abusive dad. He died and didn't even mention him in his will. That's the sweetest payback of all times

Revenge never leaves anyone feeling fulfilled. It only widens the already yawning gap.

Deliberately showering his mother with gifts and ignoring his dad is not only spiteful, it would only serve to highlight the hurt and pain he's had to bear during his growing up years. Let him get on with his life and be civil to his dad.

I'm suspecting his dad might have been a "traditionalist". You know, the old-school sort of men who when they return from the farm, the kids run into hiding on sighting their dad... not daring to look him in the face...no real communication with them as his words are law and non-negotiable.

My opinion though.

1 Like

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 7:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
soulglo:

In a fairy tell it ends this way. In reality it does not. Especially in Nigeria. It is not unusual for fathers to abandon their children and the mother slaves for her children and one day he expects something in return simply because he donated sp3rm. People would even support it because after all he is their father. Forgetting that in doing so you are further victimizing the victims. We even had a case here on NR were a mother abandoned her children when they were toddlers. Dad raised them by himself. Bought bras and pads for the girls when they hit puberty and gave them the love and attention their mother denied them. Years later they locate their mom and she has been a thorn in the flesh ever since. They owe this man nothing and if he refuses to respect himself and let his children enjoy a happy life that he denied them in childhood they should keep him at arms length. My opinion. Life is a precious gift and no one should subject anyone to suffer through it because they laid down with their mother. You only live once.

A fairy tale that many people are living all over the world.
It wouldnt surpise me if a third of the fathers in Nigeria, didnt do what they were expected to do as fathers especially the old generation ones.

Many many people have been brought up single handedly by single mothers. . .but attend any wedding today and so long the father is alive, you will see both mother and father on the high table.

People have a choice and that is whether to live in bitterness over a father that didnt really care for them or "show" the man his folly by paying him back in coins he didnt even know existed (Love) and free themselves and let fresh air into their lives. when you hold people to ranson, you are holding yourself too to ransome.

Also when you also start having your own children, its not just about you anymore. Its about grandchildren too. Will you deprive your children of enjoying a relatonship with their grandparents. Grandparenting is different from parenting as many of us who have children have found out.

I am not forcing anyone to love their father if they dont want to.

Personally I wont let any one and I mean anyone push me to come short of what my Maker expects of me and if it were me, I will do what I can for the baba within my capability.
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by soulglo: 7:28pm On Aug 13, 2014
chaircover:

A fairy tale that many people are living all over the world.
It wouldnt surpise me if a third of the fathers in Nigeria, didnt do what they were expected to do as fathers especially the old generation ones.

Many many people have been brought up single handedly by single mothers. . .but attend any wedding today and so long the father is alive, you will see both mother and father on the high table.

People have a choice and that is whether to live in bitterness over a father that didnt really care for them or "show" the man his folly by paying him back in coins he didnt even know existed (Love) and free themselves and let fresh air into their lives. when you hold people to ranson, you are holding yourself too to ransome.

Also when you also start having your own children, its not just about you anymore. Its about grandchildren too. Will you deprive your children of enjoying a relatonship with their grandparents. Grandparenting is different from parenting as many of us who have children have found out.

I am not forcing anyone to love their father if they dont want to.

Personally I wont let any one and I mean anyone push me to come short of what my Maker expects of me and if it were me, I will do what I can for the baba within my capability.

It has nothing to do with bitterness. You can forgive someone without letting them keep being toxic to you. Holding unto something toxic is not a solution. Even with grand kids. In fact it is more crucial because of the grand kids. He does not have to bad mouth his father. It is possible to be civil without inviting the person to bring toxicity in. I think this is why so many relationships in the Nigerian context are so toxic and it is allowed because of some false sense of responsibility. We can all learn to be civil and being civil has nothing to do with accepting ill behavior as a norm in your life. Everyone should be respectful of each other. That is a more valuable lesson to teach your children. Not teach them that in some cases abominable behavior is allowed simply because of some honor you place on someone who never earned the honor. In fact this is what's killing our society today.

4 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
soulglo:

It has nothing to do with bitterness. You can forgive someone without letting them keep being toxic to you. Holding unto something toxic is not a solution. Even with grand kids. In fact it is more crucial because of the grand kids. He does not have to bad mouth his father. It is possible to be civil without inviting the person to bring toxicity in. I think this is why so many relationships in the Nigerian context are so toxic and it is allowed because of some false sense of responsibility. We can all learn to be civil and being civil has nothing to do with accepting ill behavior as a norm in your life. Everyone should be respectful of each other. That is a more valuable lesson to teach your children. Not teach them that in some cases abominable behavior is allowed simply because of some honor you place on someone who never earned the honor. In fact this is what's killing our society today.

You dont seem to understand.
No one is saying he should keep a toxic relationship as you say, but you can still show love and respect to the person.

Back to the OP; Truckpusher said his friend said his dad does not deserve what he gets from him.
I read that to be financial
If he can afford it, then why not give it to his father.

Unless we want to kid ourselves, its easier to deal with people peacefully than the opposite.

As for things killing our society . . .we are on a looooooooong thing.
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Nobody: 7:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Revenge never leaves anyone feeling fulfilled. It only widens the already yawning gap.

Deliberately showering his mother with gifts and ignoring his dad is not only spiteful, it would only serve to highlight the hurt and pain he's had to bear during his growing up years. Let him get on with his life and be civil to his dad.

I'm suspecting his dad might have been a "traditionalist". You know, the old-school sort of men who when they return from the farm, the kids run into hiding on sighting their dad... not daring to look him in the face...no real communication with them as his words are law and non-negotiable.

My opinion though.
u r absolutely right, I was only saying what I would have done in that Position. I'm the kind ThaT HaRdly fORGetS
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by shaybebaby(f): 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2014
soulglo:

EOD!!

1 Like

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by shaybebaby(f): 9:57pm On Aug 13, 2014
chaircover:

You dont seem to understand.
No one is saying he should keep a toxic relationship as you say, but you can still show love and respect to the person.

Back to the OP; Truckpusher said his friend said his dad does not deserve what he gets from him.
I read that to be financial
If he can afford it, then why not give it to his father.

Unless we want to kid ourselves, its easier to deal with people peacefully than the opposite.

As for things killing our society . . .we are on a looooooooong thing.
Or not deal with them at all. I'm with soulglo on this one. Baba was happy all those years without his son, he can carry on being on his own.
It's not about bitterness, how can you love someone simply because of the title " father".
Any man can father children, but a real father is the one who remains and raises his children without shirking his responsibilities. Now that includes children that were not aired biologically.
As far as I'm concerned, he is simply the person who got his ma preggers and that's where it should end in as much as he had no hand in the person the child is today. You cannot be allowed to reap where you did not sow!

2 Likes

Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 12:00am On Aug 14, 2014
For me...its to ignore such a father. Let him hear my success story from outsiders... whatever... I dont care... seriously! Everyone was once a child and needed encouragement...and someone to believe in him/her.. and where was he? What has changed?
Re: How Do You Repay A Father That Never Believed In You? by Quirekoon: 8:20pm On Dec 01, 2020
Cut him off.

(1) (Reply)

She Finally Expose Me / Please Advise: What A Life, Or What A Mentality? / How North And Islam Became A Scape Goat For Teenager's Folly

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.