Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,883 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:20 PM

Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer (1307 Views)

Interview Questions For A Software Developer ! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by asalimpo(m): 5:03am On Aug 13, 2014
Windows application dev.
What does a microsoft c++ programmer use?
Is native windows programming usg win32 api obsolete?
Is there any advantage to usg it over the dot net lib?

What is the mfc? (microsoft foundation classes )
what language is used on it?

Can latest versions of windows (7,8+) b programmed natively in c++?

Wat free compilers are compliant with d latest cpp standards (c++11,c++14)?
And for win32 systems.

Is there any justfcation to learng c++ being tht there are faster devlopmnt languages out there
(c#,vb etc)

in terms of making a living, is a c++ programmer @ risk in 9ja?
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by GodMode: 5:45am On Aug 13, 2014
C++ is the fastest... Its only problem is bulky codes...
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 13, 2014
I cannot answer all those questions (as I am only an average c,c++ programmer). But newer generation programmers like me tend to move with the times.
MFC as far as I am concerned belongs to the museum, I normally use Microsoft Visual Studio earlier, but kept having problems. Seun Osewa once recommended CodeBlocks on a thread like several years back (maybe 4 - 5yrs now or more, i cannot remember), and I find it very fantastic. All my working C/C++ apps were creating using CodeBlocks - http://www.codeblocks.org/.

Generally speaking, concerning win32 api, c#, and languages in general should be dependent on the platform you wish to deploy and the functionalities you wish to deliver. However, these days I find myself drifting off in the direction of more recent technologies like python, node webkit etc which seem to get the job done faster for me.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by spikesC(m): 11:58am On Aug 13, 2014
More questions:

Which language would you recommend for embedded programming: C or C++
If possible, why?
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by asalimpo(m): 12:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
@dhtml
som1 new to programming will b touted higher languages(java,python,scala,ruby,php) that are easier,more popular , in vogue.
But i know theyre places these languages dnt go inspite of d awaited hope of fast processors and gigantic memory.
But i've also readabout how horrible it is to use this c,c++ languages. Programming without array bounds checking (c++) and without a boolean type and Exceptions (c) seems insane to sombdy who's used to them.
Not to talk of manually managing memory. But there must b som advantages.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 4:57pm On Aug 13, 2014
I first burst into laughter when I read your post. With few codes of python, I can pull stunts that will scatter the head in C/C++.
But yes you are write, I have found myself from time to time in need of one C thingy or the other. And yet, in programming one cannot be jack of all trades.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Olyboy16(m): 10:12pm On Aug 13, 2014
asalimpo: @dhtml
som1 new to programming will b touted higher languages(java,python,scala,ruby,php) that are easier,more popular , in vogue.
But i know theyre places these languages dnt go inspite of d awaited hope of fast processors and gigantic memory.
But i've also readabout how horrible it is to use this c,c++ languages. Programming without array bounds checking (c++) and without a boolean type and Exceptions (c) seems insane to sombdy who's used to them.
Not to talk of manually managing memory. But there must b som advantages.

Programming in C/C++ is like holding raw unlimited, undiluted and unrestricted power!! It takes the most sneaky,smart, creative and logic oriented brains to become masters in these languages.
C/C++ is meant for die hard, matyr, principled and hardcore programmers!
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Olyboy16(m): 10:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
spikesC: More questions:

Which language would you recommend for embedded programming: C or C++
If possible, why?
C.
Why? There are tons of existing support available unlike c++.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 10:49pm On Aug 13, 2014
Olyboy16:
Programming in C/C++ is like holding raw unlimited, undiluted and unrestricted power!! It takes the most sneaky,smart, creative and logic oriented brains to become masters in these languages.
C/C++ is meant for die hard, matyr, principled and hardcore programmers!
But business-oriented programmers like me specialize in seeking the fastest way out of any task. I mix technologies when necessary.
Like the phpbrowserbox i have on sourceforge made use of C, node.js, and node webkit. Sometimes i even do very funny combinations, make the application sha work be my own by hook or by crook.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by BlueMagnificent(m): 10:51pm On Aug 13, 2014
asalimpo: Windows application dev.
What does a microsoft c++ programmer use?
Is native windows programming usg win32 api obsolete?
Is there any advantage to usg it over the dot net lib?

What is the mfc? (microsoft foundation classes )
what language is used on it?

Can latest versions of windows (7,8+) b programmed natively in c++?

Wat free compilers are compliant with d latest cpp standards (c++11,c++14)?
And for win32 systems.

Is there any justfcation to learng c++ being tht there are faster development languages out there
(c#,vb etc)

in terms of making a living, is a c++ programmer @ risk in 9ja?

1. Microsoft C++ compilers or compilers from other vendors made for the Windows platform, like GCC.

2. No it is not obsolete, its just that there are now libraries to make programming with it easier

3. All applications running on Windows directly or indirectly make use of the Win32 API.
The Windows API (Win32) is primarily focused on the C programming language and since C++ is more of a superset of C it goes for it as well. A some what slight exception is the WinRT api that is additionally provided by Windows 8. WinRT is implemented in C++.
Basically anything that wants to talk to the Windows system, be it the dot net lib or Java Virtual Machine, has to go through the Windows API.

But you don't have to take the gruesome task of programming with Win32 when you have wrapper libraries like MFC, dot net and other third party libs like wxWidgets and Qt

4. MFC is a C++ wrapper for the Win32 API. It groups the Win32 functions into logical components like Classes.
If you've tried creating a simple window in Win32 you should know how tasking it is, but MFC simplifies these steps for you.

5. MFC is implemented in C++

6. Yes Windows 7 and 8 can be programmed on with native C++ ( and also with Win32 API)

7. I am very sure of MinGW (GCC 4.7.2 and upwards supports C++ 11), better still you can go for MinGW-w64 which is a port of MinGW with added goodies smiley . C++14 implementations is not all that good to go yet, vendors haven't even implemented the complete C++11 in there compilers (implementing these standards are not as easy as it seems)

8. There is no justification. But there are places those languages can't go that C++ can.

9. you might be at risk depending on what you are hunting for.

And just in case of IDE you can go for QtCreator, its free and has features to make your C++ programming sweet. CodeBlocks is also good
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 11:34pm On Aug 13, 2014
^^^Excellent, that answers the questions. Imagine me thinking that MFC died with visual studio 6. kudos.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by asalimpo(m): 12:05am On Aug 14, 2014
@blue mag
If d process is too agonizg , i'll chill out. They really are instances where d api is the only solution. E.g i've found no high level language with an api for detectg d disc drive and ejectg,closg or initiatg disc burning. I guess only api knowledge will do here.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 12:32am On Aug 14, 2014
Sometimes i might create a commandline application with C and call if from wherever i am working.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by BlueMagnificent(m): 6:11am On Aug 14, 2014
asalimpo: @blue mag
If d process is too agonizg , i'll chill out. They really are instances where d api is the only solution. E.g i've found no high level language with an api for detectg d disc drive and ejectg,closg or initiatg disc burning. I guess only api knowledge will do here.

I currently use wrapper libraries for the Windows API except there is need for low level implementation. Though if you intend on solely targeting the Windows platform its generally advisable to learn a bit of how to the API
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Olyboy16(m): 11:22am On Aug 14, 2014
dhtml18:
But business-oriented programmers like me specialize in seeking the fastest way out of any task. I mix technologies when necessary.
Like the phpbrowserbox i have on sourceforge made use of C, node.js, and node webkit. Sometimes i even do very funny combinations, make the application sha work be my own by hook or by crook.
Your project is a quite interesting one. If i may ask please, which php interpreter did you mount on the software? Php-GTK? I also need a good SPI and since u av one working, i'l b glad to knw wich one u used.thanks
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 11:50am On Aug 14, 2014
Me I no too sabi all these terminologies, I downloaded php 5.5 or is it 5.6 and also downloaded mysql 5.5
As you probably know, php 5.5 has an internal server which can run the commandline.
What I need is:
1. A small standalone EXE that can start the server from commandline (C)
2. A standalone browser (node webkit)
3. A small standalone application that will link them together and not mix up working directories and all that (VB 6)
That was what led to the app in a nutshell. A true expert could have done the full app with any of the 3 technologies above, I have different level of strenths, so I always learn to join them together. You can find the downloadable of the app on sourceforge or on the left navigation of my blog - www.dhtmlhub.com
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by asalimpo(m): 1:20pm On Aug 14, 2014
Your knowledge of c was a secret weapon then. You took d path less trodden (by typical web devs) and it made all d difference. Mayb, win api knowledge cud b justified too.
Re: Questions For The Seasoned Ms C++ Programmer by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 14, 2014
Thanks, I was an average win32 programmer before porting to web development (i can use a lot of languages to limited extent like c,java,visual basic,python etc), so I am not just a professional web developer.

(1) (Reply)

Please How Can I Convert This Mysql Code To Mysqli / Java API Documentation: How To Download / Title Program To Create GUI For Bank App

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.