Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,811 members, 7,806,275 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:53 PM

German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll (3377 Views)

US and EU Officially Lift Nuclear Related Sanctions On Iran / Death toll of South Africans Killed In Nigeria Megachurch Collapse rises to 84 / Independence Drive For Spain's Catalonia Falters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
lokoloko84: you got it bro,but most Nigerians are ignorant. Guardian news medium is a rabid anti America and left wing news outlet who sees nothing good in America and her allies.
Always trying to bring them down.

Lmao!!

So, the most Americanised UK newspaper is anti-American, no?

Is there any other newspaper in the UK with more American news, posters, and journalists than the Guardian? Guardian is so pro-American, most Brit liberals detest it for that.

I guess you don't even know that Pulitzer Prize is an American award, and The Guardian has won it several times. Poor you! grin

These American-bots are weasels!

3 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by omenka(m): 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
usba: ^^^
True but sometimes principles are as important as economics!
There is no such thing as "principles" when it comes to defending national interest my dear!! Uncle Sam couldn't care less if the economy of the rest of the world takes a deep plunge as long as its assets and domestic welfare remain untouched!!

I have always said it and will keep saying it, the Eurozone stands to lose a lot more than US will in an event there is a full scale face off with Russia. The US keeps pushing the Europe to engage Russia and they are ignorantly towing that line forgetting that the US remains largely insulated from the consequence of such misadventure.

It is in the best interest of the entire region to, if necessary, pacify the Kremlin and bring to an end this ugly trend which shows no sign of abetting. Matter of fact, I keep wondering why Merkel keeps doing the bidding of the US after the CIA hacking incident (how's that for "principles" ) blew open!! That incident runs afowl of every rule of engagement of allies!!

3 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 13, 2014
grin grin grin grin
EU this is just the beginning
Germany shud cut ties with US
After the spying shiit twice, damn!

Putin just wait eh, very soon naija go depend on agriculture then u do biz with GEJ

Fuc.k US. Fuc.k Zmapp
Fuc.k UN (this ones, I no knw their stand)
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by doctokwus: 3:25pm On Aug 13, 2014
Nobleval: you forgot that they signed $400b worth of gas deal with China.
Putin is wise.
U 4got that d gas has to pass thru ukraine and some other pro us countries bc d xtance frm russia to china is almost 6000km.Unless dey both want to spend billions of dollars and years to build a dedicated pipeline.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:25pm On Aug 13, 2014
omenka: There is no such thing as "principles" when it comes to defending national interest my dear!! Uncle Sam couldn't care less if the economy of the rest of the world takes a deep plunge as long as its assets and domestic welfare remain untouched!!

I have always said it and will keep saying it, the Eurozone stands to lose a lot more than US will in an event there is a full scale face off with Russia. The US keeps pushing the Europe to engage Russia and they are ignorantly towing that line forgetting that the US remains largely insulated from the consequence of such misadventure.

It is in the best interest of the entire region to, if necessary, pacify the Kremlin and bring to an end this ugly trend which shows no sign of abetting. Matter of fact, I keep wondering why Merkel keeps doing the bidding of the US after the CIA hacking incident (how that for "principles"wink blew open!! That incident runs afowl of every rule of engagement of allies!!

I think her hands her tied, and World War 2 fiasco is still lingering over Germany's head. I guess that was why all the sanctions against Russia were just for 3 months. I honestly don't think anyone envisaged Putin going that far and playing dirty, since the Russian sanctions might be against WTO.

Right now, there are divisions within the EU ranks...and I expect them to back out soon. The game of Russian Roulette is a suicidal game. The UK just witnessed its highest growth in more than a decade. Now imagine losing all that.

1 Like

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by lokoloko84(m): 3:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

Lmao!!

Is there any other newspaper in the UK with more American news, posters, and journalists than the Guardian? Guardian is so pro-American, most Brit liberals detest it for that.

I guess you don't even know that Pulitzer Prize is an American award, and The Guardian has won it several times. Poor you! grin

But most contributors on guardian online news medium are anti America, is not it?Guess this is a paradox.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
And Putin strikes again(breaking news):

RUSSIAN FOOD SAFETY WATCHDOG ROSPOTREBNADZOR BANS BEER AND ALCOHOL IMPORTS FROM UKRAINE - NEWS AGENCY RIA

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/13/russian-food-safety-watchdog-rospotrebna-idINL6N0QJ3KX20140813

^^^^This is going to be a long cold winter for everyone. sad
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2014
doctokwus:
U 4got that d gas has to pass thru ukraine and some other pro us countries bc d xtance frm russia to china is almost 6000km.Unless dey both want to spend billions of dollars and years to build a dedicated pipeline.
gas pipe line pass through Ukraine to China? The dumbest post ever! Do you know your map? You didn't not study geography? Chai! Look up the locations of China and Russia

this is russia and china [img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSDjaS2vCgjI8_uSb7B5BYmBZvxuB9VJpW1AMenPvg-pnTfKGlZQf8bHeo[/img].

Go to school.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
lokoloko84: But most contributors on guardian online news medium are anti America, is not it?Guess this is a paradox.

How are they anti-American?

Most Brits don't like the American government(not the people), is that too hard for you to understand?

The Guardian newspaper as a company is Pro-American, and over the years, everything it reports, has always been the American side of the story - save for a few traditional British liberal and American left-wing contributors, who don't like the American government. However, that doesn't negate the fact that it's more pro-American than the average British newspaper, with tons of American, Canadian, and Australian academics and professionals mingling with their British middle class counterparts - to discuss all kinds of topics.

Also, the newspaper talks about almost everything going on in America, including American sports that most Brits don't even give two fvcks about. That's how pro-American the newspaper is.

1 Like

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by oldenglish: 3:38pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex: And Putin strikes again(breaking news):

RUSSIAN FOOD SAFETY WATCHDOG ROSPOTREBNADZOR BANS BEER AND ALCOHOL IMPORTS FROM UKRAINE - NEWS AGENCY RIA

http://in.reuters.com/article/2014/08/13/russian-food-safety-watchdog-rospotrebna-idINL6N0QJ3KX20140813

^^^^This is going to be a long cold winter for everyone. sad
This is definitely a game changer, now Ukies will ban export of gas to EU through Ukraine. Am parking my bags already. This winter gonna be bloody.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by lokoloko84(m): 3:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

Lmao!!

But most contributors on guardian online news medium are anti America,is not it? Guess this is a paradox.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by oldenglish: 3:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
Nobleval: gas pipe line pass through Ukraine to China? The dumbest post ever! Do you know your map? You didn't not study geography? Chai! Look up the locations of China and Russia.
When I read that line I stopped and jump over to another post.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by oldenglish: 3:41pm On Aug 13, 2014
McD is under investigation too.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by castrogee(m): 3:42pm On Aug 13, 2014
[quote author=doctokwus]
U 4got that d gas has to pass thru ukraine and some other pro us countries bc d xtance frm russia to china is almost 6000km.[i]Unless dey both want to spend billions of dollars and years to build a dedicated pipeline.[/q[/i]uote]

That's exactly what they are doing.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by castrogee(m): 3:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

I think her hands her tied, and World War 2 fiasco is still lingering over Germany's head. I guess that was why all the sanctions against Russia were just for 3 months. I honestly don't think ayone envisaged Putin going that far and playing dirty, since the Russian sanctions might be against WTO.

Right now, there are divisions within the EU ranks...and I expect them to back out soon. The game of Russian Roulette is a suicidal game. The UK just witnessed its highest growth in more than a decade. Now imagine losing all that.

Pleas shymex kindly explain what you mean by- anyone envisaged Putin going that far and playing dirty, since the Russian sanctions might be against WTO?
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
lokoloko84: But most contributors on guardian online news medium are anti America,is not it? Guess this is a paradox.

Well, contributors are just what they're - contributors - not The Guardian. The Guardian itself is pro-American. Heck, even the website is registered under ".com" not ".co.uk."

And like I said in my other post: the contributors are traditional British liberal and American left-wing folks, who don't like the American government.

BTW, it's a liberal newspaper, so where do you expect the contributors to come from? -right-wing nutters?

Anyway, The Telegraph, a right-wing newspaper for British conservative middle class broke the news.

1 Like

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by lokoloko84(m): 3:47pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

How are they anti-American?

Most Brits don't like the American government(not the people), is that too hard for you to understand?

The Guardian newspaper as a company is Pro-American, and over the years, everything it reports, has always been the American side of the story - save for a few traditional British liberal and American left-wing contributors, who don't like the American government. However, that doesn't negate the fact that it's more pro-American than the average British newspaper, with tons of American, Canadian, and Australian academics and professionals mingling with their British middle class counterparts - to discuss all kinds of topics.

Also, the newspaper talks about almost everything going on in America, including American sports that most Brits don't even give two fvcks about. That's how pro-American the newspaper is.
I think you should read comments of posters on guardian online so that you can get my brief. Even telegraph is more pro america than guardian.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 13, 2014
castrogee:

Pleas shymex kindly explain what you mean by- anyone envisaged Putin going that far and playing dirty, since the Russian sanctions might be against WTO?

Apparently, according to the EU trade commission, the Russian sanctions are against WTO regulations, and they're planning to lodge complaints to the WTO.

check this:

Russia and Europe will engage WTO in sanctions dispute

The Russian agricultural embargo against EU countries has hit some nations hard. Poland is considering bringing a complaint against Russia's refusal to buy Polish produce to the World Trade Organization.

Poland's agriculture minister went on television to announce the country was taking action against Russia's new import ban. "We believe Russia has broken international law in both its embargo against Poland and its embargo against the EU," Marek Sawicki said.

Russia banned the import of Polish fruit and vegetables in early August - a move Sawicki said would cost Poland 0.6 percent of GDP.

Last Thursday (07.08.2014), Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev announced a one-year ban on imports of food from the rest of the EU and the US. Russia also said it was considering turning to the WTO to challenge the legality of EU and US sanctions imposed on Russia following its intervention in Ukraine.

"If a WTO member state believes another WTO member state has taken a measure that is not in conformity with WTO rules, the affected WTO member state may request mediation," attorney and WTO expert Eric Pickett said.

If these consultations do not lead to a peaceful settlement, he said, Poland could request that the WTO's Dispute Settlement Body (DSB), convene a panel to look at the case. The DSB is made up of representatives of all WTO member states.

http://www.dw.de/russia-and-europe-will-engage-wto-in-sanctions-dispute/a-17847288

^^^The US buried them, and I doubt they have any say to be honest. And I don't even see Russia lifting those sanctions. Russia can also lodge complaints to the WTO about the sanctions imposed on it, but it's not crying like these EU weasels.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:52pm On Aug 13, 2014
lokoloko84: I think you should read comments of posters on guardian online so that you can get my brief. Even telegraph is more pro america than guardian.

The Guardian is my home. So, I know what the comments are like. I'm a liberal, btw.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
oldenglish: This is definitely a game changer, now Ukies will ban export of gas to EU through Ukraine. Am parking my bags already. This winter gonna be bloody.
winter is coming.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by aresa: 3:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
NL and micky mouse analysis sef....

Russia's sanctions means little or nothing to UE in the long run since they have reserve funds to mop up any excess produce by EU farmers going to Russia which is exactly what they are doing. This is even good for EU food reserve.

EU is a diversified economy while Russia is basically a one pony Oil economy that they can not even service with new technology and equipment from the west . Russia is crumbling under sanctions and they've lost over $100 billion already and the ruble, has lost 10 percent of its value.

Russia's sanction means little or nothing to EU...PERIOD.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by castrogee(m): 3:55pm On Aug 13, 2014
@ shymex, I got you... So when EU was imposing sanctions on Russia they didn't remember there was A WTO, goodness, how hypocritical can people be to satisfy the rage of Uncle Sam.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by lokoloko84(m): 3:57pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

Well, contributors are just what they're - contributors - not The Guardian. The Guardian itself is pro-American. Heck, even the website is registered under ".com" not ".co.uk."

And like I said in my other post: the contributors are traditional British liberal and American left-wing folks, who don't like the American government.

BTW, it's a liberal newspaper, so where do you expect the contributors to come from? -right-wing nutters?

Anyway, The Telegraph, a right-wing newspaper for British conservative middle class broke the news.
Alright,I understand what you are trying to say.
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by omenka(m): 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex:

I think her hands her tied, and World War 2 fiasco is still lingering over Germany's head. I guess that was why all the sanctions against Russia were just for 3 months. I honestly don't think anyone envisaged Putin going that far and playing dirty, since the Russian sanctions might be against WTO.

Germany has paid the price for whatever damage it caused the world during those wars, from the Versailles Treaty to turning the entire country into a big mass of rubble by the end of the war. What has the States done for its war crime in Nagasaki and Hiroshima Squat!!

Germany rose from the dust to establish itself as the principal power in Europe and has been bailing the region from all manner of economic woes since the '70s. If you ask, Germany needs such leaders as Jung Un or Putin to mitigate the overbearing influence of Washington over the Eurozone.

In the final analysis, all I see is US desperately trying to bring the Kremlin to its knees so she can have the leverage to bargain for the release of Snowden whom I believe still possesses materials and intel that could prove potentially catastrophic to her national interests.

Good thing they have a leader like Putin who's anything but a novice when it comes to engaging Washington in a game they've proven so adept at over the years!!

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 4:00pm On Aug 13, 2014
doctokwus: What's d point of this thread?To glorify one nation annexing another?Putin's ambition if not checked wud not stop @ukraine.The man's aim is to annex all former soviet territories.If anyone is under any delusion dat d EU wud suffer d most,den its a pity.
D russians are going dis far to apply retaliatory sanctions bc its faltering economy wud b left in ruins if any extended sanctions on it are applied.
D EU,though wud take a hit,but once russia gets cut off frm dat mkt for its oil and gas,den we wud see if it wud not back off frm its dangerous path.
Stop peddling lie's a referandum was done before crimea joined russia. And besides crimea was a russian territory from the onset.

3 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 4:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
castrogee: @ shymex, I got you... So when EU was imposing sanctions on Russia they didn't remember there was A WTO, goodness, how hypocritical can people be to satisfy the rage of Uncle Sam.

The whole thing is just going to get messier, to be honest.

I'm scared for the UK right now, to be honest. It seems Russians have started started moving their money to Hong Kong. And once the tit for tat gets to the next stage, analysts are predicting a total collapse. Russians can endure hardship, but most Europeans can't. Also, with Euroasia, BRICS, and Latin America joining the fray for partnership with Russia - things are going to get pretty bad soon.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by usba: 4:04pm On Aug 13, 2014
omenka: There is no such thing as "principles" when it comes to defending national interest my dear!! Uncle Sam couldn't care less if the economy of the rest of the world takes a deep plunge as long as its assets and domestic welfare remain untouched!!

It is in the best interest of the entire region to, if necessary, pacify the Kremlin and bring to an end this ugly trend which shows no sign of abetting. Matter of fact, I keep wondering why Merkel keeps doing the bidding of the US after the CIA hacking incident (how that for "principles"wink blew open!! That incident runs afowl of every rule of engagement of allies!!

I was referring to the EU not America, and total agree America is the world selfishest country when it comes to foreign interest, Self interest has proven to be more important in recent times than principles. My point it is the EU interest to oppose a lot of the actions Russia is taking, like annexing Crimea, to supporting rebels in Ukraine. At the end of the day whether it is Russia, the EU or the US, all seem to be different sides to the same coin!

1 Like

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Quelme: 4:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
doctokwus:
keep quiet! Russia shares a large expanse of border with China in the Far East. And both countries are currently working out modalities toward setting up an industrial zone around that region.

1 Like

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by usba: 4:07pm On Aug 13, 2014
SirShymex: ^^^^Principle for an inconsequential country and the people have to suffer because of the adventurism of another country on the other part of the planet, across the Atlantic, no?

What's in Ukraine for Europe, apart from scroungers, an economy that's basket-case, and fracking that America has already appointed Joe Biden's son as the head of Ukrainian oil company?

EU shouldn't look away while Russia acts in a way that is destabilizing to Europe. At the end of the day, it is Europe that would suffer from the imperialist tendencies of Russia or America!
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 4:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
omenka: Germany has paid the price of whatever damage it caused during those wars from the Versailles Treaty to having turning the entire country into a big mass of rubble by the end of the war. What has the States done for its war crime in Nagasaki and Hiroshima Squat!!

Germany rose from the dust to establish itself as the principal power in Europe and has been bailing the region from all manner of economic woes since the '70s. If you ask, Germany needs such leaders as Jung Un or Putin to mitigate the overbearing influence of Washington over the Eurozone.

In the final analysis, all I see is US desperately trying to bring the Kremlin on its knees so she can have the leverage to bargain for the release of Snowden whom I believe still possesses materials and intel that could prove potentially catastrophic to her national interests.

Good thing they have a leader like Putin who's anything but a novice when it comes to engaging Washington in a game they've proven so adept at over the years!!

However, Germany is still paying for it, and I believe the US still has military bases in the country. Angela Merkel is a decent leader, and I believe she's from the former East Germany. So, I honestly don't think she's that much of an American puppet and the German economy is more intertwined with Russia than most countries in Western Europe(maybe Italy but Italy is more or less Southern Europe to an extent). But the pressure is just to big to do something, as the leader of the Eurozone.

Honestly, I don't think Snowden has a bearing on this. He's more or less a bait. I think it has more to do with the elites from both sides, and American elites wanting free access of Russian resources. And also US domination of the EU, since the Euro is more or less also a threat to the dollar. The dollar is pretty much on its last legs, and America's ability to print money is what's keeping it afloat.

2 Likes

Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by mankand(m): 4:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
doctokwus:

Dude do you know where China is on the world map? whereas, Russia is already working on building a new pipeline route to bi-pass Ukraine.

tongue
Re: German Economy Falters As Russia Sanctions Take Their Toll by Nobody: 4:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
usba:

EU shouldn't look away while Russia acts in a way that is destabilizing to Europe. At the end of the day, it is Europe that would suffer from the imperialist tendencies of Russia or America!

Russia can't destabilise Europe. Europe is more about terrain, and apart from the Baltic states with Russian population - Russia isn't a threat to anyone in Europe.

If Russia cares that much about Europe, Mikhail Gorbachev wouldn't have allowed Germany to be re-united despite the fact that the UK and France against it, and Thatcher lobbied him not to re-unite Germany. The only ones trying to colonise Europe are the yanks, with their unnecessary expansion further east, despite agreements not to do so.

Ukraine is next to Russia with a huge Russian population, in the East, where majority of Ukraine's wealth comes from. What's the US looking for in the country? That's like Russia getting involved in Mexico - will the US allow that to happen?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Would You Believe This Was America?? / Barack Obama Is Time Person Of The Year 2012. / South Africa Vs Naij Vs Kenya

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.