Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,881 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:17 AM

Why Are You An Atheist? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are You An Atheist? (14425 Views)

How Can You Prove To An Atheist That God Exists? / Seun Kuti Is Happy, He Is An Atheist / Why I Am Not An Atheist (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 1:38pm On Aug 13, 2014
A similar thread was made here some years ago by someone, the mods took it to the front page and it turned into the theist vs atheism argument and lost the main reason why it was put up here. I will like to ask the same questions to the atheist here in the house. I want the atheist and agnostics to state their reasons for not believing in god/religion. I will state mine later but I will like to hear from others. . .I don't want conversion stories, just state why you do not believe in god and religion to be true as portrayed by the theist. . .

NB: Mods pls do not take this to the front page.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Atigba: 2:22pm On Aug 13, 2014
I became agnostic when i was looking for job in Nigeria, i realized everything i was told in church and campus fellowship is nothing but scam all the seed i sowed ,All the tithe i paid,All the prayer i offered they were nothing but an exercise in futility.i was depressed as a christian, until i start seeing life the way it is until i faced reality until i stop looking up to the sky for help that was when i start experiencing breakthrough in life.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Empiree: 2:26pm On Aug 13, 2014
Op, are you atheist?. If so, what exactly is your official definition of atheism?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Oduduwaboy(m): 3:08pm On Aug 13, 2014
I used to describe myself as a born-again christian up till 3 years ago. Then , i started having doubts as a result of all sort of frauds going on in church; namely , tithe fraud, miracle & breakthrough fraud, sexual immorality, schemes designed to separate members from their money etc. Also, i found praying & fasting to be nothing more than psychological exercises. In short , i got tired of defending God against common sense. I realised i got better results when i applied rational methods to issues.

I had always read a bit widely outside of the bible and i had always had questions; there are just too many inconsistencies in that book. It takes a lot of cognitive dissonance to accept it as the unquestionable word of a PERFECT god, which provisions are meant to traverse all generations. Then i spent some time to study about Emperor Constantine and the role he played at the council of Nicea and i came to the conclusion that the bible is not the word of God but that of early Jews & Romans with early greek influences....

I have to cut this 'testimony' o.
Then some personal issues on which i prayed & fasted....with faith...with camp going...each exercise left me empty & with more questions.
Also, the daily tragedies that occur coupled with the evils of fundamental islamism left me with the conclusion that no self-respecting god can allow so much hatred to be exercised in his name. If a god must exist, he must be omnipotent & omniscient but human history has shown this not to be so.
If God created the ability in us to reason, then reason must of necessity lead us back to him. However, reason(science) has consistently shown how unlikely the existence of god is. So, i moved into this season of Agnosticism . I could call myself an atheist but for the mathematical impossibility of PROVING that a god does not exist!

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 3:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
I became an atheist when I found out the support of racism and slavery in the holy books of the Abrahamic religions (christianity, islam, judaism).

In fact, all gods are racist- they are only concerned with the tribe that worship them. Yaweh for Jews, Olodumare for Yorubas, Zeus for Greeks and Allah for Arabs.

This made me reason that those gods were actually created by the racist, barbaric men.....because any god who had basic knowledge of science and how the world works would know that racism is senseless

11 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 3:31pm On Aug 13, 2014
I found out that the thing was in direct opposition to ordinary common sense. By the time I got to contemplate the story of how Mary was impregnated by nobody, for the umpteenth time, I had already passed the threshold for tolerance.

I will submit to you that after a hard day's work as a carpenter, no human man will come home and accept the fact that it wasn't the neighbor, but an invisible person who impregnated his wife. I even slapped myself for believing that story as a child, when I should have known better. I don't give a dam)n if he had a dream after or before. Joseph would have sent that girl back to her father's house.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 3:33pm On Aug 13, 2014
Empiree: Op, are you atheist?. If so, what exactly is your official definition of atheism?
Yes I am an atheist. . Atheism to me is simply disbelief in the existence of dieties and gods. .
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 3:59pm On Aug 13, 2014
No evidence of any particular god. Didn't believe the stories I was told.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Zikdik(m): 4:20pm On Aug 13, 2014
#proudchurchofnairalandconvert
Is there any reason to be otherwise?

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Empiree: 4:46pm On Aug 13, 2014
Okay now guys. I wont like to derail your thread but let me just input this before I commot. So, atheism simply means disbelieve in existence of God or deity according to mazaje and probably that's official definition of it. Good enough.

Now guys, including urban2 read this. Very soon I will be going for vacation in carrebean Island of Trinidad. I honestly dont mind inviting you guys and i will be responsible for costs. The flight will take us some hours to get there. I will come back to this thread a month before my vacation so that we could get ready. This is going to be private jet okay?.

However, when we board the plane, I have to instruct our pilot to cruise at 35,000 altitude over atlantic ocean. When we get to that altitude, I will instruct him to put the jet to dive (that's, crash it in the ocean). What will be your reaction at that point?. Sincere answer please.

CASE STUDY: I sponsored 2 atheists on the same trip 9 yrs ago. When we reach 30000 above sea level, pilot dived the jet to the ocean. These atheists guys sat not far from me.They notice something's wrong with the aircraft and looked through the window. What they saw was terrible. They started crying and creaming "oh God , Oh God Oh God" then i was wondering why they didnt shout "Oh nothing Oh science, Oh nothing, Oh science" ?. I was suprized. So pilot recorved from dive and everything was fine. Then i was like guys what just happened?. They said we thought something happed to the plane but thank "God" we are saved. I said oh I'd thought you guys dont believe in God?. They smiled.

So my question to you guys is dont you think you are deceving yourselves when you said you dont believe in God?. It doesnt matter what your concept of God is. At least for now God being Supreme Being. In other to proof this theory i just gave you, i will post a video of aircraft scheduled for testing with Atheists on board. Then, aircraft develpoed tech problems unknown to them and dived into the ocean. They screamed Oh God Oh God. I was wondering why they didnt say "Oh nothing", Oh science"

So guys, do you want me to invite you to Trinidad with condition attached (to dive the plane toward the ocean)?.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by onetrack(m): 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
Empiree: Okay now guys. I wont like to derail your thread but let me just input this before I commot. So, atheism simply means disbelieve in existence of God or deity according to mazaje and probably that's official definition of it. Good enough.

Now guys, including urban2 read this. Very soon I will be going for vacation in carrebean Island of Trinidad. I honestly dont mind inviting you guys and i will be responsible for costs. The flight will take us some hours to get there. I will come back to this thread a month before my vacation so that we could get ready. This is going to be private jet okay?.

However, when we board the plane, I have to instruct our pilot to cruise at 35,000 altitude over atlantic ocean. When we get to that altitude, I will instruct him to put the jet to dive (that's, crash it in the ocean). What will be your reaction at that point?. Sincere answer please.

CASE STUDY: I sponsored 2 atheists on the same trip 9 yrs ago. When we reach 30000 above sea level, pilot dived the jet to the ocean. These atheists guys sat not far from me.They notice something's wrong with the aircraft and looked through the window. What they saw was terrible. They started crying and creaming "oh God , Oh God Oh God" then i was wondering why they didnt shout "Oh nothing Oh science, Oh nothing, Oh science" ?. I was suprized. So pilot recorved from dive and everything was fine. Then i was like guys what just happened?. They said we thought something happed to the plane but thank "God" we are saved. I said oh I'd thought you guys dont believe in God?. They smiled.

So my question to you guys is dont you think you are deceving yourselves when you said you dont believe in God?. It doesnt matter what your concept of God is. At least for now God being Supreme Being. In other to proof this theory i just gave you, i will post a video of aircraft scheduled for testing with Atheists on board. Then, aircraft develpoed tech problems unknown to them and dived into the ocean. They screamed Oh God Oh God. I was wondering why they didnt say "Oh nothing", Oh science"

So guys, do you want me to invite you to Trinidad with condition attached (to dive the plane toward the ocean)?.

Two times I have been on flights that had to make emergency landings due to problems with the plane (in one case, one of the engines blew out). I did not pray either time; in one of those I was actually reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I kept reading.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by DeepSight(m): 5:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
Empiree: Okay now guys. I wont like to derail your thread but let me just input this before I commot. So, atheism simply means disbelieve in existence of God or deity according to mazaje and probably that's official definition of it. Good enough.

Screaming "Oh God" is actually a mere exclamation and means nothing. People who do not believe in Christ use the phrase "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation all the time. As such your argument does not stand.

However if you simply mean to indicate that in the most extreme of circumstances, supposed atheists will turn to God, then yes, perhaps, for some supposed atheists, you have a point.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Empiree: 5:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
DeepSight:

Screaming "Oh God" is actually a mere exclamation and means nothing. People who do not believe in Christ use the phrase "Jesus Christ!" as an exclamation all the time. As such your argument does not stand.

However if you simply mean to indicate that in the most extreme of circumstances, supposed atheists will turn to God, then yes, perhaps, for some supposed atheists, you have a point.

You sound confused. Sounds like you suffering from hyponatremia. Just listen to yourself
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Empiree: 5:57pm On Aug 13, 2014
onetrack:

Two times I have been on flights that had to make emergency landings due to problems with the plane (in one case, one of the engines blew out). I did not pray either time; in one of those I was actually reading the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. I kept reading.

Fantasy....story story
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Zikdik(m): 5:57pm On Aug 13, 2014

First of all, you own a private jet. Really?
Secondly, anyone sensible enough to be an atheist would know that, neglecting external factors, neither you nor the pilot is willing to die or go to jail. Hence, neither of you would be willing to exert fatal damage to either one or all of the occupants of the jet. No reason to worry.
Finally, the "Oh God" exclamation is more of an impetuous action than an assertion of belief. It might as well be "Jupiter's Co.ck", "bloody fu.c.k", "holy sh.it", e.t.c. Not an assertion of belief.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 5:58pm On Aug 13, 2014
DeepSight:

DEEPARDO!!!!! grin grin

Glad to see you back!
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by qstar(m): 6:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
Empiree:

You sound confused. Sounds like you suffering from hyponatremia. Just listen to yourself

Actually, i do not fear death. The reason you may dread death so much is probably because of your belief in Heaven and Hell.
On several occasions i've been involved in some frightening-accidents, i never panicked, just thought of my loved ones and how they'll miss me. That was all.

Now, you'd rather open another thread, you're obviously derailing this thread.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by EyesWideOpen(m): 6:20pm On Aug 13, 2014

This absofuckinglutely proves nothing, that's a remnant of lifelong habit that may never go away. But then theists are usually just dense.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by frank317: 6:23pm On Aug 13, 2014

You started up as a guy with wits and ended up like a dullard. Honestly I became angry that a reasonable human thought this was wise arguement to derail the thread.
If they Had screamed 'Holy shhitt! Or amadioha' whould that have meant they believe in holy shittt or amadioha? And if they had shouted these word would it have made holy shit or amadioha the creator of this world?

Ok, will be back on why I stopped believing.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by qstar(m): 6:27pm On Aug 13, 2014
@OP, after so much thought and research, i realised that the universe/god does not give a phuck about us(the inhabitants). I also noticed how religions personalise god, it reeked of egocentrism. I couldn't believe that such a god could exist, i.e. a god that will give you an edge over your neighbour and to the detriment of the neighbour.
A god that'll judge people based on their belief rather than what they did, to me, was a human invention and politically inspired.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 6:29pm On Aug 13, 2014
I've had females moan "oh my God" during sex. Even I say the s)hit. It's more of a meme than anything else.

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 6:37pm On Aug 13, 2014
Agnosticism means 'truth cannot be known',but how does agnostics know that truth(dat statement) and if that statement is nt true,it is false.also someone said 'all knowledge must be scientific' but is that statement itself scientific,if nt d statement itself is useless.Someone else claim that all religions are racists and supporters of slavery.But d message of Christ is 'there is neither jews nor greek,there is neither bond nor free,there is neither male nor female:for ye are all one in Christ Jesus '(Gal 3:28).There are more than enough scientific,logical,rational reasons to believe in God.The earliest scientists were theists.Go and consider d second law of thermodynamics for example,they all speak of a beginning by a creator.Another person talked about errors in d bible.You must understand that the manuscripts were copied by men who could make errors like writing 8 instead of 18, but d numerous manuscripts and d discovery of the dead sea scrolls has helped to solve almost all of the supposed errors.the message of the bible is consistent and coherent,God did nt made mistakes neither did the writers,every mistake is from copyists and translators.If u are sincere,i will suggest u read these e books that u can get online WHEN CRITICS ASK BY NORMAN GIELSER,RECEIVING THE WORD-SAMUEL PIPIM.For all others that complain abt d church,judge a religion nt by its abuse.The center of Christianity is Christ.There are too many perversions in today's christianity,take the bible and read it for yourself and u will find Christ who nt only explain ur origin but places a value on u because u are created in God's image,he gives u a purpose to live for,he tells u dat u are the light of d world,on morality,he tells u to love God and recognise the sanctity of the lives of ur neighours,he gives u a destiny beyond d grave,'because i live u will live also',..
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by TheBigUrban2: 6:44pm On Aug 13, 2014
^^
Sharrap.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Oduduwaboy(m): 6:45pm On Aug 13, 2014
qstar: @OP, after so much thought and research, i realised that the universe/god does not give a phuck about us(the inhabitants). I also noticed how religions personalise god, it reeked of egocentrism. I couldn't believe that such a god could exist, i.e. a god that will give you an edge over your neighbour and to the detriment of the neighbour.
A god that'll judge people based on their belief rather than what they did, to me, was a human invention and politically inspired.
Infact, i once told someone that religion ( in any form) is the greatest disservice to the god idea. Recently, i saw some ISIS beheading- pictures and i couldnt help wondering how people could think they are doing a god's work by cutting helpless peoples' neck with knives and swords...and the supposed god sits quietly upon a golden throne with a diamond-studded gilded crown upon his head in heaven , waiting patiently for the judgement day to send more of his 'enemies' who did not practice his 'chosen' faith into hell. aaarghhhh!...its all so ridiculous.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by nnofaith: 6:54pm On Aug 13, 2014
Oduduwaboy:
Infact, i once told someone that religion ( in any form) is the greatest disservice to the god idea. Recently, i saw some ISIS beheading- pictures and i couldnt help wondering how people could think they are doing a god's work by cutting helpless peoples' neck with knives and swords...and the supposed god sits quietly upon a golden throne with a diamond-studded gilded crown upon his head in heaven , waiting patiently for the judgement day to send more of his 'enemies' who did not practice his 'chosen' faith. aaarghhhh!...its all so ridiculous.
lol!
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by Weah96: 6:59pm On Aug 13, 2014
paulcr7: Agnosticism means 'truth cannot be known',but how does agnostics know that truth(dat statement) and if that statement is nt true,it is false.also someone said 'all knowledge must be scientific' but is that statement itself scientific,if nt d statement itself is useless.

Mister, these are very good questions. It's a pity you don't ask questions like these about your own God. Why do you stop thinking like this when it comes to validating your deity?

Btw, that is NOT the meaning of agnosticism. All it says is that certain claims cannot be substantiated or refuted, especially the existence of Gods, not all claims. Russell's Teapot would be an example of another such claim. Stop making things up.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by nnofaith: 7:02pm On Aug 13, 2014
Became an atheist cos i read somewhere how my "holy" prophet beheaded 700 Jews (of Banu Quraiza), i mean why would a God meant for everybody have favorite tribes, towns and people? why will god create some as believers and others as infidels? and he now tells the believers to kill the infidels. Religion doesn't make any sense.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 7:15pm On Aug 13, 2014
qstar: @OP, after so much thought and research, i realised that the universe/god does not give a phuck about us(the inhabitants). I also noticed how religions personalise god, it reeked of egocentrism. I couldn't believe that such a god could exist, i.e. a god that will give you an edge over your neighbour and to the detriment of the neighbour.
I dont know how many religions u considered before making d claim that God does nt care.In d message of Christ, i see a God who sent his only son to die for people who hated him and did nt accept him.I see in him, a God who left d beauty and splendor of heaven to a world of pain and sorrow to deal with our sins and our sinfulness.I see a God who became man and walked the earth in healing the sick,giving hope to the despodent,meaning to the confused,providing food for the multitudes,he is always described as looking at d multitudes with compassion.I see a God who told us to value the lives of others and to love them.do u know how many hospitals,institutions,sanitariums,orphanages,clinics that were built in his name? And till tomorrow u will still see Christian missionaries in prisons and hospitals,u will even see them die helping ebola patients.I see a God who deals with everyone personally as if he were d only one existing and he says to us 'i am with u always to the end of the world',' and in our troubles he says 'my grace is sufficient for you'..2.the economical system we have today is not d purpose of God.In ancient israel and d early church,he told them that there should nt be one poor person among them,even though people had different abilities, strenght and talents,yet there was a communal system where everyone was satisfied and no one was lazy,'they had all things in common,sold their possessions and parted them to all men,as every man had need'.it is normal to have diff abilities and opportunities but Christ statement that u should 'love ur neighbour' as urself makes d different..3..if God judge us based on how works,we cannot meet his standards but instead he gave us his son to deal with our sins and sinfulness and give us a renewed and transformed heart that desires to do only those things that are pleasing in his sight.We cannot be saved by works because God has a better offer.through faith in Christ,the works naturally follow.
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by paulcr7: 7:25pm On Aug 13, 2014
Weah96:

Mister, these are very good questions. It's a pity you don't ask questions like these about your own God. Why do you stop thinking like this when it comes to validating your deity?

Btw, that is NOT the meaning of agnosticism. All it says is that certain claims cannot be substantiated or refuted, especially the existence of Gods, not all claims. Russell's Teapot would be an example of another such claim. Stop making things up.
'some truths cannot be substantiated or refuted'- can that statement be substantiated or refuted.if it can be substantiated(as agnostic except),then why cant God's existence be substantiated.Agnostic has no rational basis because no matter how much evidence u present,they can still choose to say it is nt substantiated.so,what test does agnostic apply to know when a claim can be said to be substantiated?
Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by qstar(m): 7:29pm On Aug 13, 2014
Can PaulCr7 stop typing incoherent gibberish and posting on this thread please?

1 Like

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by mazaje(m): 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2014

So your reason for believing in god is because you are afraid?. . .Pls if you have nothing sensible to say just shut up. . .Your opinion is not needed here if foolishness is all you can display. . .

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You An Atheist? by finofaya: 7:40pm On Aug 13, 2014
I am agnostic cos I haven't seen any good reason to believe in God. Especially Jehovah and Allah. Those two are just ridiculous. undecided

Most of the questions that lead to the issue of God can be answered without positing God. And even the ones that are answered by invoking God are not correctly answered, since God himself, if he is anything like us, will have to ask the same questions again. For instance, if we can't be moral without God, then what is the source of God's morality?

Also, given the state of the world today, any God that does exist is either not as nice as he is being made out to be or he is just not interested in our affairs. Either way, I haven't seen anything that suggests that he is a personal God, so he is of no consequence.

Lastly, I am agnostic cos I enjoy the company of other infidels.

12 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

DIG Haruna's Tragic Death Prophesied By?? Guess?? TB Joshua! / Do Dreams Affect Our Reality? / Bishop Kukah Celebrates 45 Years Of Priesthood, 10 Years As Bishop (Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.