Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,449 members, 7,808,605 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:11 PM

What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? (3090 Views)

Did Your Marriage Start With "Will You Marry Me" Or "Oga, I Don Miss My Period"? / How Did Your Husband React/cope During Labour? / At What Age Age Should Parents Teach Their Children Sex Education (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 5:03pm On Aug 13, 2014
Children are constantly watching and learning from their parents' marriages yet some parents underestimate the power of modeling.

Kids are consciously and subconsciously recording what a marriage looks like and those recordings definitely influence and shape their view of marriage. When these children grow up, they model the best and worst relationship dynamics of their parents' marriages.

Some dynamics build strong, healthy, long-lasting marriages- others are detrimental- leading to abuse, unhappiness, resentment, separation and even divorce.

Keeping this in mind...when YOU marry...do you want a marriage like your parents? Why or Why not?

Which positive dynamics of your own parents' marriage do you wish to emulate within your own marriage?

Which ones will you NEVER, EVER implement?

If you are presently married, what are you teaching your child/ren about marriage?

What lessons are your child/ren learning from YOUR marriage?
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by RoyalRoy(m): 5:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
They thought
me marriage is not by age.

They thought me love alone does not sustain marriage.

They thought me money is very very very essential in marriage.... Same level with good sex.

Finally... They thought me that a pretty face doesn't nessecarily make the best of partner..... A sincere and loving heart is what I should look out for.

Shalom.

5 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 5:11pm On Aug 13, 2014
My dad always beat my mum, but she never quit despite the pain... I learnt endurance, love, care, etc on her part.. While one thing I would never do is beating my wife, cos I hate it as a kid growing up n the whole beatin s as a result of his drinking too much alcohol....
In conclusion, my marriage can't be like theirs cos it sucks, despite the fact that my mum still loves my dad.. But tis a failure

4 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by UjSizzle(f): 5:47pm On Aug 13, 2014
How not to make mistakes.
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by dytbabe: 6:05pm On Aug 13, 2014
RoyalRoy: They thought
me marriage is not by age.

They thought me love alone does not sustain marriage.

They thought me money is very very very essential in marriage.... Same level with good sex.

Finally... They thought me that a pretty face doesn't nessecarily make the best of partner..... A sincere and loving heart is what I should look out for.

Shalom.
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by KanwuliaJara: 6:09pm On Aug 13, 2014
By their actions!
No need for long tok-tok!
I OBSERVED them!!! kiss
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by bellong: 6:30pm On Aug 13, 2014
Why not start by telling us what you learnt from your parents....

1 Like

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Aug 13, 2014
quarelling in front of the kids. I'll never do that

2 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by beeevan: 8:39pm On Aug 13, 2014
I learnt nothing from them undecided.

2 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 11:10pm On Aug 13, 2014
@Oooh Peee is always trying to hit front page. Na wah o!
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Aug 13, 2014
bellong: Why not start by telling us what you learnt from your parents....
I trust hoes; when the kids are around is when they'll make aggravating demands from you knowing you won't want to break this rule I think you'll break countless times. #never say never
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by bellong: 2:09am On Aug 14, 2014
TribalEAST: I trust hoes; when the kids are around is when they'll make aggravating demands from you knowing you won't want to break this rule I think you'll break countless times. #never say never

1 Like

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 2:51pm On Aug 14, 2014
zboyd: Children are constantly watching and learning from their parents' marriages yet some parents underestimate the power of modeling.

Kids are consciously and subconsciously recording what a marriage looks like and those recordings definitely influence and shape their view of marriage. When these children grow up, they model the best and worst relationship dynamics of their parents' marriages.

Some dynamics build strong, healthy, long-lasting marriages- others are detrimental- leading to abuse, unhappiness, resentment, separation and even divorce.

Keeping this in mind...when YOU marry...do you want a marriage like your parents? Why or Why not?

Which positive dynamics of your own parents' marriage do you wish to emulate within your own marriage?

Which ones will you NEVER, EVER implement?

If you are presently married, what are you teaching your child/ren about marriage?

What lessons are your child/ren learning from YOUR marriage?

What I learned about marriage from MY parents:

- marriage will NEVER work, unless there is mutual respect, trust and compromise
- have each other's back at ALL times
- what goes on IN the house STAYS in the house - keep relatives out of your business
- keep the kids out of grown folks' business
- fight clean - not dirty - then kiss and make up
- husbands have bad memories when it comes to special days - use a BIG calendar and circle those special days in red and label them
- Valentine's Day is only ONE day out of the year - the other 364 are what really matter
- a family that prays together should also play together - all day churching is not necessary - Sunday is Family Day
- don't hold grudges
- husbands need their own space - just keep the door closed if he's a junkaholic and don't move ANYTHING
- wives need time away from the house to keep sane - so do husbands
- Date Night is a MUST at least once a week
- working too much can cause problems - try not to bring work home - Family Time is important
- "I love you"..."Yes, Dear"..."Yes, Baby, you're right!"..."I'm sorry"..."I apologize"..."...Do you need some help?"..."I was wrong" keeps down arguments
- don't keep secrets - they have a nasty way of coming out
- don't 'advertise' your husband - you might find a 'buyer'
- it's good to take short vacations with the kids AND away from each other
- you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar
- keep yourself looking good for each other
- compliment and flirt with each other - don't mind the kids' "Ewww...ya'll so nasty!" comments
- surprise each other with little gifts for no reason
- if your husband hates to go around certain relatives (his or yours), don't pressure him - just make sure he has some beer and snacks on hand and you and the kids go
- don't plan ANYTHING, when his favorite sport team is playing - just make sure he and his buddies have plenty to eat and drink and you and the kids go do your own thing
- don't ask your husband to go and buy your feminine necessities - he hates it - so stock up or go and buy them yourself
- if your husband says "We can't afford it" but you really, really want it, bribe him with his favorite dinner, a big bottle of his favorite drink and be dressed in his favorite outfit when he comes home - works almost every time
- give your husband at least one hour of uninterrupted 'HIM TIME' when he comes home from work - keep the kids away too - then attack him
- husbands aren't mind-readers - if something is bothering you - come out with it
- there is no sleeping on the couch - talk it out - no matter who has to get up in the morning
- friends shouldn't stay at the house ALL DAY LONG - learn to tell them when it's time to go home and mean it
- your house is not a restaurant - you can't feed everyone who comes through your door a full course dinner - especially if you have kids
- having 3 bank accounts - His, Hers and the House avoids fights over money
- your wife is not a maid- roll up your sleeves and help out around the house and that includes helping out with the kids and the cooking
- don't allow friends or relatives to bad mouth each other or your kids - if they continue - cut them off until they can control their mouths
- husbands and wives don't go to strip clubs or any other club - period - no matter what mutual friends may say
- no snooping - no eavesdropping on phone calls - no opening up each other's mail, etc. - that's an invasion of privacy
- be wary of women - single or married - who show a little too much interest in your husband - don't hesitate to confront them - immediately
- put up a united front when it comes to the kids...e.g. chores, school, discipline, etc. - kids can smell division a mile a way and will use it to their advantage
- husbands own the remote - deal with it - you may want to buy your own TV to keep down fights
- husbands usually hate to go shopping with their wives - they don't understand going to six stores and then going back to the first one to buy something
- husbands aren't kids - so you shouldn't pick up or clean up after them - you do enough of that with the kids
- if someone snores - invest in a good pair of earplugs and/or ease out of the bed and go sleep on the couch or in the guest room

WHEW!!!

lol

Is that ENOUGH?!

10 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by bellong: 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2014
Wow......

You learnt all these and you still show off like a male hater.....

3 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by pickabeau1: 4:01pm On Aug 14, 2014
Beats me.... undecided
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Godmystrength: 4:48pm On Aug 14, 2014
@zboyd - only you learnt ALL these? wow!!! that's superb o undecided
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Fkforyou(m): 5:01pm On Aug 14, 2014
Always settle your matters privately as couples,I can't say that about my parent,never involve your children whenever you have disputes.
Ego can be dangerous,my mum always feels she has to be right all the time..but most importantly marry someone whom you can't live without infact marry your best friend.
Imagine having marrital dispute in the morning and yet he drops her at work and by 2pm she is calling to say hi,when he comes at night they act as if nothing ever happened....I've learnt never to take sides again.

3 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by helen4(f): 7:22pm On Aug 14, 2014
using there negative(mistakes) to work on myself and home positively.
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 7:23pm On Aug 14, 2014
bellong: Wow......

You learnt all these and you still show off like a male hater.....

Correction:

I HATE MALE BRUTES.sad

Don't you?

I HATE ABUSE OF ANY KIND- AGAINST ANYONE.sad

Don't you?

Question:

How will a wife and mother of four kiddos- married for over 20 years to a man hate men?

Nonsense!

7 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 7:27pm On Aug 14, 2014
Godmystrength: @zboyd - only you learnt ALL these? wow!!! that's superb o undecided

Not ALL women (or men) over here grow up in dysfunctional, single parent homes...no matter what the stereotypes claim...OR...what people choose to believe.

3 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by bellong: 9:21pm On Aug 14, 2014
zboyd:

Correction:

I HATE MALE BRUTES.sad

Don't you?

I HATE ABUSE OF ANY KIND- AGAINST ANYONE.sad

Don't you?

Question:

How will a wife and mother of four kiddos- married for over 20 years to a man hate men?

Nonsense!

I am sorry but your previous posts and topics say otherwise.

4 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by xynerise: 9:30pm On Aug 14, 2014
Dad always thought I was a virgin till I got married. He never said a word relating to relationship. Mum only advised me to marry who my heart desires no matter her tribe.

Actually, I didn't pick any of their advices
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by egopersonified(f): 9:33pm On Aug 14, 2014
Fkforyou: Always settle your matters privately as couples,I can't say that about my parent,never involve your children whenever you have disputes.
Ego can be dangerous,my mum always feels she has to be right all the time..but most importantly marry someone whom you can't live without infact marry your best friend.
Imagine having marrital dispute in the morning and yet he drops her at work and by 2pm she is calling to say hi,when he comes at night they act as if nothing ever happened....I've learnt never to take sides again.

this taking sides issue is something else
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 9:35pm On Aug 14, 2014
bellong: I am sorry but your previous posts and topics say otherwise.

I am sorry that you seem to possess selective amnesia and selective blindness toward the brutality rained down on women- brutality which the following poster has personally experienced between his mother and father:

2. polymathic(m)

"My dad always beat my mum, but she never quit despite the pain... I learnt endurance, love, care, etc on her part.. While one thing I would never do is beating my wife, cos I hate it as a kid growing up n the whole beatin s as a result of his drinking too much alcohol....
In conclusion, my marriage can't be like theirs cos it sucks, despite the fact that my mum still loves my dad.. But tis a failure"
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

GOOD MEN don't brutalize their wives.

BRUTES DO!

So...when you accuse me of being a "man hater', because I dare air the dirty deeds of SOME of your fellow brothers...you are indirectly supporting their brutish behavior.

If you consider yourself a GOOD MAN...then you should be standing on your own soap box protesting the brutal treatment some women suffer at the hands of their brutish husbands...especially those who profess themselves to be God-fearing Christians, washed in the blood of Jesus.

Of course, YOU could be a BRUTE yourself- a man who abuses women- and this issue is cutting too close to the bone.

Maybe this is why you deem my posts discussing abusive men as man hating, otherwise, why are standing on your hind legs baying at the moon?

Nonsense!

5 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 9:39pm On Aug 14, 2014
zboyd:

What I learned about marriage from MY parents:

- marriage will NEVER work, unless there is mutual respect, trust and compromise
- have each other's back at ALL times
- what goes on IN the house STAYS in the house - keep relatives out of your business
- keep the kids out of grown folks' business
- fight clean - not dirty - then kiss and make up
- husbands have bad memories when it comes to special days - use a BIG calendar and circle those special days in red and label them
- Valentine's Day is only ONE day out of the year - the other 364 are what really matter
- a family that prays together should also play together - all day churching is not necessary - Sunday is Family Day
- don't hold grudges
- husbands need their own space - just keep the door closed if he's a junkaholic and don't move ANYTHING
- wives need time away from the house to keep sane - so do husbands
- Date Night is a MUST at least once a week
- working too much can cause problems - try not to bring work home - Family Time is important
- "I love you"..."Yes, Dear"..."Yes, Baby, you're right!"..."I'm sorry"..."I apologize"..."...Do you need some help?"..."I was wrong" keeps down arguments
- don't keep secrets - they have a nasty way of coming out
- don't 'advertise' your husband - you might find a 'buyer'
- it's good to take short vacations with the kids AND away from each other
- you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar
- keep yourself looking good for each other
- compliment and flirt with each other - don't mind the kids' "Ewww...ya'll so nasty!" comments
- surprise each other with little gifts for no reason
- if your husband hates to go around certain relatives (his or yours), don't pressure him - just make sure he has some beer and snacks on hand and you and the kids go
- don't plan ANYTHING, when his favorite sport team is playing - just make sure he and his buddies have plenty to eat and drink and you and the kids go do your own thing
- don't ask your husband to go and buy your feminine necessities - he hates it - so stock up or go and buy them yourself
- if your husband says "We can't afford it" but you really, really want it, bribe him with his favorite dinner, a big bottle of his favorite drink and be dressed in his favorite outfit when he comes home - works almost every time
- give your husband at least one hour of uninterrupted 'HIM TIME' when he comes home from work - keep the kids away too - then attack him
- husbands aren't mind-readers - if something is bothering you - come out with it
- there is no sleeping on the couch - talk it out - no matter who has to get up in the morning
- friends shouldn't stay at the house ALL DAY LONG - learn to tell them when it's time to go home and mean it
- your house is not a restaurant - you can't feed everyone who comes through your door a full course dinner - especially if you have kids
- having 3 bank accounts - His, Hers and the House avoids fights over money
- your wife is not a maid- roll up your sleeves and help out around the house and that includes helping out with the kids and the cooking
- don't allow friends or relatives to bad mouth each other or your kids - if they continue - cut them off until they can control their mouths
- husbands and wives don't go to strip clubs or any other club - period - no matter what mutual friends may say
- no snooping - no eavesdropping on phone calls - no opening up each other's mail, etc. - that's an invasion of privacy
- be wary of women - single or married - who show a little too much interest in your husband - don't hesitate to confront them - immediately
- put up a united front when it comes to the kids...e.g. chores, school, discipline, etc. - kids can smell division a mile a way and will use it to their advantage
- husbands own the remote - deal with it - you may want to buy your TV to keep down fights
- husbands usually hate to go shopping with their wives - they don't understand going to six stores and then going back to the first one to buy something
- husbands aren't kids - so you shouldn't pick up or clean up after them - you do enough of that with the kids
- if someone snores - invest in a good pair of earplugs and/or ease out of the bed and go sleep on the couch or in the guest room

WHEW!!!

lol

Is that ENOUGH?!

I just love it. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by bellong: 10:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
zboyd:

OK......

I need not join you in exchanging insults. Maybe you need to read over what I wrote. "Your posts show off like a man hater" is quite different from direct accusation.

And how has the rants here reduced abusive men in the society?

If you care so much about abuse in the society, your crusade should first start against the female gender who are abusive- except there are no female abusers.

If I were a BRUTE, it is nothing for you to worry about. At least the females surrounding me enjoy my abusive nature grin cheesy.

Peace to you.

4 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 10:52pm On Aug 14, 2014
bellong:

OK......I need not join you in exchanging insults. Maybe you need to read over what I wrote. "Your posts show off like a man hater" is quite different from direct accusation. And how has the rants here reduced abusive men in the society? If you care so much about abuse in the society, your crusade should first start against the female gender who are abusive- except there are no female abusers. If I were a BRUTE, it is nothing for you to worry about. At least the females surrounding me enjoy my abusive nature grin cheesy. Peace to you.

Why are throwing stone and hiding hand?

Please do not insult my intelligence by indirectly calling me names and thinking I won't catch it.

If you have been following my topics and posts, I have spoken about abusive women more than once...case in point...this thread..."How To "Emasculate" A Man - Family - Nairaland.

Why did I earlier state: "I HATE ABUSE OF ANY KIND- AGAINST ANYONE?" Selective amnesia again?

Domestic abuse is not gender specific.

As for as stating: "At least the females surrounding me enjoy my abusive nature,"...I don't see the humor in making light of domestic abuse.

But...if what you stated is true...then...the females you mentioned are fools.

6 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by pickabeau1: 10:59pm On Aug 14, 2014
Never believe everything you read online
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by zboyd: 12:35am On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1: Never believe everything you read online

Why not?

You want NL to believe the following about me:

*********************************************************************************************************************
"actually zboyd is a anti-naija, misandrist...I wont be surprised if she is the product of an intellectual mum who took her for feminist rallies..upon maturity she finds out she is the product of naija fada who abandoned her mum due to that one's uncontrollable ways..Coupled with the fact that the man was untraceable... common themes across her threads...Man Hating, Daddy issues, abandonment syndrome.. a lethal cocktail...Lawd help her"

Source: Re: How To "Emasculate" A Man by pickabeau1: 1:34am On Jul 05 - Page 0
*********************************************************************************************************************

Add the above to your sly references to me being a bitter, man-hating lesbian, coupled with the usual worn-out stereotypes about cross-cultural relationships between Nigerian men and non-Nigerian women, specifically African-Americans.

And...you continue to look for co-signers.

Like I stated before...not everyone over here in the States grows up in a dysfunctional home headed by a single mother...and this just pains you to no end.

Also, there ARE successful cross-cultural relationships/marriages between Naija men and non-Naija women.

It just shoots all kinds of holes in your stereotypical mindset, huh?

Tough tittie, mate!

Anyways...say or believe whatever floats your boat.

No worries.

You'll eventually pick up more co-signers.

Carry on!

4 Likes

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 4:08am On Aug 15, 2014
All I know is nothing that you are thought really works,you have to study your partner, and work out rules that would work for you family.
Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by pickabeau1: 6:31am On Aug 15, 2014
Zboyd..good u know people r seeing thriugh your smoke screen

Its only a matter of time.....

Motives speak louder than words....

Anyone can portray family utopia online

1 Like

Re: What Did Your Parents Teach You About Marriage? by Nobody: 7:22am On Aug 15, 2014
grin grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Can A Guy Get Married With N100,000? / What Age Should A Man Stop Sucking Br*ast? Pic / Wife Behaving Badly?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 92
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.