Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,776 members, 7,798,586 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 06:41 AM

How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace (753 Views)

My Experience With A Chinese Man Today In My Workplace / 12 Effective Ways To Gain Respect In The Workplace. / How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace by laivwire(m): 9:56pm On Aug 13, 2014
I was posted as an assistant branch manger to one of the my company offices within Nigeria. I am not small but quite slim with a very young look. Naturally I presented myself as a friendly person to all the staff working in that branch as I desired to inspire and not order people around. Unfortunately, this has not worked well in my favour. As a matter of fact, I got some inside information today that the top management noticed my performance and wanted to promote me a full manager, the only weakness that stood in my way was the fact that I could not delegate authority as I was too friendly and staff just take me for granted. I need advice! These guys are older than I am, probably more experienced but theres a reason I was posted here. To achieve goals while coordinating and working as a team. How do I make the turn around?

1 Like

Re: How Do I Gain Respect In My Workplace by abbccc(m): 8:36pm On Aug 14, 2014
laivwire: I was posted as an assistant branch manger to one of the my company offices within Nigeria. I am not small but quite slim with a very young look. Naturally I presented myself as a friendly person to all the staff working in that branch as I desired to inspire and not order people around. Unfortunately, this has not worked well in my favour. As a matter of fact, I got some inside information today that the top management noticed my performance and wanted to promote me a full manager, the only weakness that stood in my way was the fact that I could not delegate authority as I was too friendly and staff just take me for granted. I need advice! These guys are older than I am, probably more experienced but theres a reason I was posted here. To achieve goals while coordinating and working as a team. How do I make the turn around?

I use to act the same way as you and received the same treatment from my colleagues though of the same position..i advice you to still be good to staff under your leadership and diligent in your work..However, in issues that concerns work. You need to be a bit strict..i mean being formal in derogating task....when work is not involved,you can use that time to crack jokes with them..pay for their lunch atimes...not altogether but at your convenient time if it happens you eat at the same restaurant with the staff....atimes give them benefitting info to help in their careers....etc...all these will show them that you love them even though you are principled and strict in making sure work is done the appropriate way and as at when due...Hope this will help in some ways...

(1) (Reply)

Must Read – Do Women Have To Dress Like Men To Be Taken Seriously? / Exxonmobil 2015 Global Geoscience Campus / Protection And Logistics Services Limited Job Vacancy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.