Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,546 members, 7,809,006 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:01 PM

Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. (8346 Views)

PDP To Sanction Governors For Not Recognising Jang As NGF Chairman / How The President And Governors Steal From Security Votes / Jonathan, Nwodo And Governors Celebrate Nigeria At 50 In London (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by gamechange(m): 5:17pm On Oct 20, 2008
I don't believe God is miraculously going to come to our rescue in Nigeria. I feel we should take the bull by the horns and fight for our country. Here is my proposal; We should promulgate a law that allows only women contests our presidential and gubernatirial elections for the next 24 years.

Before anyone jumbs on me, lets look at the facts, men have failed Nigeria woefully, every president and governors (males) we've had to date have been corrupt and done outrightly and absolutely nothing to move our development forward. Then take the few women we have had in key positions, like, Dora,  Okonjo-Iweala, Ezekwesili, etc. These women have been progressives, we have seen dramatic improvements in our fortunes as a result of their impact.

I think, this is so because women have that natural maternal instinct that makes them want to protect, preserve and nurture, rather than the destroy and carefree attitude our men seem to possess.

Our current system has'nt worked and will never work, we need to come up with something this radical and their is no point looking at the way its done in other countries, there does not have to have been precedence.

I also believe we need to practise meritocracy, rather than this idea of allocating positions to people based on what part of the country they are from.

I welcome your debate.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by olanajim(m): 6:04pm On Oct 20, 2008
You must be having fun at your own expenses. May I ask you why UK, US, Japan and other developed countries didn't hinged their development on Gender motivation. Perhaps you thought those countries didn't have more than Okonjo Iweala etc.

You sounded as if you are portraying menfolks as corrupt, irresponsible. Farida waziri had been out performing Ribadu. She had jailed all corrupt Gov and had their files kept securely in National Library. She has also recently concluded investigation of former president obasanjo. See why ALL ladies are better equiped as leaders. Etteh was the first Female house of Rep speaker. During her tenure, the House had relative peace and is corruption free. She was removed by greedy MENFOLKS who are bent on ensuring NO WOMAN ever rule this country.

Adenij Grange was another outstanding, corrupt free female leader Nigerian had produced. During her tenure, there is no bribe, no pilfering of public funds. All unspent funds were returned to Fed account. She is presently on trial because she is a WOMAN!

My friend, don't sentimentalise issues as this. We all know that we have better women than Okonjo Iweala, Dora Akunyuli etc. But, think of it, why weren't in public domain? The answer is not because they are chained. The answer can, if well researched, be found to be the same reason Good men don't have the chance of ruling Nigeria,

Nigerian destiny is in our hand. If we ended up with corrupt leaders, it is either because we helped put them there or we refused to actively vote for good leaders. Forget the fact the elections were rigged. We made the rigging possible in the first place when majority of the populace sold their votes for fez caps, T-shirts and flying Naira!
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by Kobojunkie: 6:13pm On Oct 20, 2008
@Poster, I am going to take it that you just wanted to post something on here for attention cause I do not see how a Nigerian, with eyes wide open, can take the stance you do here. What has the problem in Nigeria to do with sex/religion or tribe? What you are doing here is continuing to push the very problem we have in that country. How does pushing the thinking that women are better for the job help the current divided state of the country?
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by Nobody: 6:25pm On Oct 20, 2008
I'm patiently waiting for 95% of nigerians(corrupt and retarded tribalists) to tell us which tribe will be better off providing these so-called female presidents.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by olanajim(m): 6:43pm On Oct 20, 2008
Lol!

That would be WASOBIA tribe of course!

Hey I forgot to mentioned mama NSE! That Obama fund manager. She would make a perfect incorruptible president. With the way she went about Obasanjo Third Term agenda, and Obama Dinner, her track records is unasailable.

@kobojunkie,
that made sense. I just hope feminist campaigners see the logic.

My thinking is that the poster, like many of his ilk, equates academic and professional accomplishment with leadership capability. That kind of thinking is what is retarding Nigerian development.

All the ladies mentioned above no doubt has great academic and profesional records. But whether they will make a good leaders or not is another thing.

There are so many profesors in this country that are impoverished. Including professors of Economics! That is not a news. So let not decieve ourselves by looking at these people as the Nigerian savior.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Oct 20, 2008
olanajim:

Lol!

That would be WASOBIA tribe of course!

Hey I forgot to mentioned mama NSE! That Obama fund manager. She would make a perfect incorruptible president. With the way she went about Obasanjo Third Term agenda, and Obama Dinner, her track records is unasailable.

@kobojunkie,
that made sense. I just hope feminist campaigners see the logic.

My thinking is that the poster, like many of his ilk, equates academic and professional accomplishment with leadership capability. That kind of thinking is what is retarding Nigerian development.

All the ladies mentioned above no doubt has great academic and profesional records. But whether they will make a good leaders or not is another thing.

There are so many profesors in this country that are impoverished. Including professors of Economics! That is not a news. So let not decieve ourselves by looking at these people as the Nigerian savior.

And you sincerely think that Etteh and co have not done better than most of your retarded male leaders?
Don't even pick on Madam NSE. Trying so hard to write off her great contributions to nigeria because of 3rd term wahala and the Obama issue is simply ridiculous. Those were her private issues.

As regards to professional ladies in office; wont it be much more comfortable to have a professional as your leader than to have military officers with WAEC leading you?

Your first post made sense, but this second one shows that you are definately a sexist.

Shame on you.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by olanajim(m): 9:16pm On Oct 20, 2008
You seem to have lost the key element of my argument. I am afraid, I don't argue for argument sake. You may find it hard to draw me into that.

My point is simple and clear. MERE ACADEMIC AND PROFESIONAL ACCOMPLISMENT IS NEVER THE BEST WAY OF ASSESSING LEADERSHIP CAPABLILITY WHETHER IN MALES OR FEMALES. If you have difficulty getting that point, then we need you as Nigerian Next President.

Madam NSE was not the most accomplished public official in the land. Without the Banking Consolidation and other reforms, instituted outside NSE, she could NEVER have achieve so much. Don't give her the credit that isn't her own initiative.

Akunyili succeeded NOT because she alone went about chasing fake drug manufacturers. Without the BACKING OF SECURITY AGENTS (which was lacking in the past) she would never have achieve so much. Okonjo Iweala was credited with many economic reform of OBJ, but we tend to forget that she was operating with the president economic team. Which comprises, El Rufai, Soludo, and other worthy citizen. According to reliable source,( these was confirmed by Iweala herself), these kitchen cabinet of Obasanjo dictated the tune of the economic policy of that era.

When you guys talk about individuals, you talk as if those people act unilaterally. It is cheer ignoramous to expect an individual, no matter how intellectually sound he/she may be to succeed when everyone else is against him/her.

I refuses to believe anyone can save Nigeria without everyone else.

I male or female, leadership is not entirely subject to career/educational success.

I bet if you are in United States, you would say only Hilary Clinton can solve American economic woes! Or that Obama/Mcain are the most intellectually endowed in USA. If that is not so, the
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by Kobojunkie: 9:38pm On Oct 20, 2008
Abegi !!! Please tell me you are joking ooo!!! Wasn’t it in the papers a while ago that Edo state happens to be the one state with the most PHD’s in that country; many of the leaders from that state CLAIM to be PHD holders. Look at the situation in the state and tell me how academic achievements translate to better leadership skills.

Was just thinking the other day of a debate with someone on how educated Ibos really are today in Nigeria compared to yesteryears. If Ibos are the most educated, according to JAMB success Stats, considering the state of Ibo land today, don’t you think the arguing that “Educated” leaders in Nigeria will do better does not seem to hold much water?? Are we really sure we will be better off with “educated” leaders than the barely educated one’s we have today? Wait a second . . . Isn’t Yaradua supposed to be a former Chemistry teacher?? Roflmao!!!
SHUDDERS!!! Roflmao!!!
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by gamechange(m): 9:44pm On Oct 20, 2008
I am enjoying your responses, keep them coming.
Both genders are capable of malfeasance, but Nigerian men moreso, what we have now will continue forever, we need change, only women leaders can be catalyst for that change.  I am not interested in academics, but practicality, women tend to be dogged when it comes to achieving goals/targets, men have the tendency to be easily swayed.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by olanajim(m): 10:45pm On Oct 20, 2008
Kobojunkie,
I feel you jare. The guy need to be reminded that Nigeria is blessed with talents. So many Doctorate Holders home and abroad that the rest of the world envy us. But we are still underdeveloped even when those prof. Found their way to govt. Think of Babalola Borishade, the prof who failed woefully in managing 3 ministries including that of his own constituencies. Anyway, I also need to remind him that developed countries don't place emphasis on education and career alone in choosing their leaders.
Re: Nigeria Needs Only Female Presidents And Governors For The Next 24 Years. by olanajim(m): 11:11pm On Oct 20, 2008
@nuzo,
I am not a sexist. You are probably reading my post for the first time. Go do the research.

Secondly, It is better to have a WAEC holder with human compasion and ability to deliver on target is far better than the man with multiple Doctorate Degree that don't know how to lead. Is a surprise that most of the world greatest achievers are not academia? Thomas Edison, the man with one of largest patent to his credit didn't spend up to a year in the class. Bill Gates was said to be a school drop out. Segun Awolowo hasn't got a Degree when he began his political career. We can go on and on.

Thirdly, on why some women tend to perform better when given leadership position. I have an idea here. It is always true though.

One, they are the underdog when it come to public life. And therefore the whole community would be watching to see what they do. Critics are on hand to magnify their failure etc. So, smart women, conscious of this complex would go extra mile to prove they can also perform. It wasn't as if they possess any special gift, it is just that they want to show they want to show they have something to offer. Men on other hands are the predator, they are only afraid of the canibals among themselves not among the women.

Finally, male or female, the brain and the mind remain the same. I don't think people who think with their "sex" organ ever go farther than their extended family.

(1) (Reply)

The Beauty Of Akwa Ibom State (pictures) / Saraki Receives Amended Gender Equality Opportunity (GEO) Bill / NDLEA Arrests 73 Drug Offenders, Seizes 1,781.85 Kg Of Indian Hemp In Osun

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.