Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,977 members, 7,806,854 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:22 AM

OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee (39814 Views)

School Fee Schedule For Covenant University 2016 / Crash: OOU Students Block Sagamu-ore Highway, Curse Driver / 11 OOU Students Die In Tragic Car Accident (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Samoranopapa(m): 1:54pm On Aug 14, 2014
OOU students protesting @ Oke Mosan Abeokuta

2 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Samoranopapa(m): 1:58pm On Aug 14, 2014
OOU Abeokuta Protest Update.....
Four injured as students clash in Ogun
Four students were injured on Thursday as
two factions of students from various
state-owned tertiary institutions clashed in
Abeokuta over the recent reduction of
school fees announced by the state
government on Tuesday.
The fracas happened around Federal
Secretariat, Oke Mosan, about 100 metres
away from the governor’s office.
The students who were from Olabisi
Onabanjo University, Ago Iwoye, Tai Solarin
University of Education, Ijagun, Moshood
Abiola Polytechnic, Abeokuta, Gateway
Polytechnic, Igbesa, and other ICT
polytechnics in the state broke into two
factions, and they engaged each other in
physical assault.
The pro-Amosun faction had staged a
solidarity march from Kuto Roundabout to
the governor’s office at Oke Mosan to
thank him for reducing the school fees,
which was 61 per cent accross board.
This faction, was received at the arcade
ground by the state commissioner for
education, Mr. Olusegun Odubela, deputy
speaker of the state House of Assembly, Mr.
Tola Banjo and Special Assistant to the
governor on Student affairs, Mr. Olusegun
Clement.
They were armed with placards which
eulogised the governor, Senator Ibikunle
Amosun.
Odubela, who also eulogised the students
for appreciating Senator Ibikunle
Amosun’s gesture, advised them to take
their studies seriously, and that he would
deliver their message to the governor who
was in Abuja.
But the second faction did not see
anything good in the fee reduction, as they
saw it more as a mere ‘political gimmick’.
This faction led by the Students Union
Government President, Olabisi Onabanjo
University, Ago Iwoye, Olusegun Ifade,
argued that the said fee reduction should
have taken effect from 2013/2014 session,
and not the 2014/2015 session
announced by the state government.
This faction had earlier addressed
journalists at Iwe Irohin House, Oke Ilewo
in Abeokuta.
Ifade said they had made demand for fee
reduction since 2011,which the governor
failed to yield to.
The students leader vehemently opposed
the gesture, arguing it was greek gift
coming at a wrong time, “because election
is fast approaching.”
Some of the students were armed with
placards with various inscriptions, some of
which read: ‘No reduction in 2013/2014,
no vote’,’Amosun reduce our school
fees’,’SIA must obey now’,and ‘Bring down
our fees.’
They also demanded among others further
reduction of the fees, as they argued that
any fee above N50,000 was still too high.
The students also headed for the
governor’s office, and on the way they ran
into the other faction, where a free-for-all
ensued.
After the dust settled, four of the students
had been injured, as they were said to
have hurled stones and other dangerous
objects at one another.
This led to a gridlock along the Oke Mosan-
Kuto axis for some hours.

2 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by agitator: 2:05pm On Aug 14, 2014
second to yarn, I no try? angry angry angry

why them come reduce the fees na
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Samoranopapa(m): 2:09pm On Aug 14, 2014
agitator: second to yarn, I no try? angry angry angry

why them come reduce the fees na
. The students self no accept him reduction,he wan use us play politics

4 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by agitator: 2:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
Samoranopapa: . The students self no accept him reduction,he wan use us play politics

I think say you be papa, abi you just borrow the name? grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Samoranopapa(m): 2:16pm On Aug 14, 2014
agitator:

I think say you be papa, abi you just borrow the name? grin grin grin
. grin grin

2 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Forzap: 2:29pm On Aug 14, 2014
Mehn dis mapoly student don spoil our peaceful protest
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Nobody: 3:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Amosun wanted to pull a 'fashola-like' stunt on the students but it was an Epic Fail

16 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Amanyanabo(m): 3:40pm On Aug 14, 2014
dem high sch fees dem to complain, dem reduce sch fees dem go still complain. truly nigerians r insatiable

106 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Emmaesty(f): 3:44pm On Aug 14, 2014
OOU students are not protesting against the reduction of the school fees but are protesting against it taking effect from the next session cos Election is next year and if he gets re-elected, the policy might not be effected..... Long live OOU #SaveOOU #Oke-Imosan2014

61 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by emmyw(m): 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2014
Hmmm
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Nobody: 4:07pm On Aug 14, 2014
These students had better shut up and go face their studies.

7 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Naijalane: 4:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
if men were God

3 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Nobody: 4:08pm On Aug 14, 2014
All these mushroom universities sef

23 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Codedboy1: 4:09pm On Aug 14, 2014
Na wa o
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by GboyegaD(m): 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
They had better make use of the opportunity and save their sponsors the difference.

2 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 14, 2014
pDude: All these mushroom universities sef
my broda,d thing tire me..

1 Like

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by datguru: 4:11pm On Aug 14, 2014
Mtcheew

1 Like

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by hayoakins(m): 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
hmmm

1 Like

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Dymaco(m): 4:12pm On Aug 14, 2014
I no undastand

1 Like

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by stanisbaratheon: 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
i don't get it, was the school fees reduced or increased??

4 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by 573V31D(m): 4:13pm On Aug 14, 2014
Source or adonbelieveit... I suppose there is something else they r protesting for or it could be the time the reduction will take effect...the latter sounds more logical.

2 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by j4sure(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Why was d fee increased before? Why d reduction 4months to Election. GOD DEY OO

3 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by PrinceAdepoju(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
I'm not sure if they had paid the fees before the reduction.

The governor had forgotten these guys are literates and they understand his plight.

if him like, make he reduce hostel and transport fee.
our people are now wise

3 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Nobody: 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
I smell Jonathan's hand in this...

4 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by davades(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Na wa o.....wetin make we do again!!!
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by bunmioguns(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Let them protest... Our Governor is not trustworthy... He says something today and another tomorrow... He once promised to reduce the money immediately he emerged as the governor... He was there for the past 3years, gave deaf hears to the educational sectors in the state... Now it remains less than a year... He wants to start playing on our intelligence.. We the people of Ogun State are not mugun... The coming back of Amosun will be the Worst thing that will ever happen in Ogun state...we the good people of ogun state says.... Amosun Must Go (AMG)

Abeg I dey come, I wan go check the beans wey I put for fire....

3 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Forzap: 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Amanyanabo: dem high sch fees dem to complain, dem reduce sch fees dem go still complain. truly nigerians r insatiable

Ode

6 Likes

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by jaryeh(m): 4:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
Well, the governor should try to shift grounds. But truth be said, the burden of tertiary institutions on Ogun state government is too much. Imagine a state having to maintain two Universities. He once tried to merge the two but students protested. They should understand that managing the two Universities cannot be done with low fees na. Even Lagos state with a higher IGR does not have as much tertiary institutions.

On the reduction being political on not, the fact remains that: Amosun has done well in Ogun state and he'll be re-elected in 2015. That's not debatable.
Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by Miscellaneous(m): 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
Always get such news from the website below in my signature.

For example see full details of this news here...

http://eduatstake..com/2014/08/oou-students-protesting-over-reduction.html

1 Like

Re: OOU Students On Protest Over The Reduction Of School Fee by free2ryhme: 4:15pm On Aug 14, 2014
Educational form of arab spring in western nigeria

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Female Students Sent By Jonathan To Philippines (Photos) / How The Phrase ‘my Dear’ Can Put You In Trouble / 16 University Students Beheaded In Edo Cult War - Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.