Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,778 members, 7,802,388 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? (15440 Views)

Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Are You Proud To Be A Nigerian? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by onome710(m): 5:16am On Aug 15, 2014
...Because I have no choice! undecided

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by robinicule(m): 5:21am On Aug 15, 2014
am not a proud guy undecided
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Boland(m): 5:23am On Aug 15, 2014
Cos I still dey here.... grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by ElekeNtioba: 5:29am On Aug 15, 2014
I like d can-do spirit of my people. Fearless, courageous, pragmatic and indutrious. They are not afraid to take their destinies into their hands and fight back when pushed to d wall. They break down barriers and venture where others are afraid to. Risen from d ashes of a debilitating conflict to make sumtin out of demselves; they are not afraid to break new grounds and while some pple work so hard just to keep up with up them, others work harder to try keep them down.

*pauses*....am not so sure am talking abt Nigeria so.....go figure!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 5:42am On Aug 15, 2014
bigfrancis21: Because Nigerians have this can-do spirit, energy, liveliness, self-confidence(self-pride at times), and are achievement-driven and hardworking.

Nigerians generally are jovial, lively and somewhat noisy people. We also know how to keep chains/circles of friends for so many years(something i've noticed is rare among americans) etc. Their penchant for success and achievement drives them to aim for higher goals and achieve success, thus distinguishing them from other africans who tend to be more gentle, docile, relaxed and unpretentious.

On the streets of US here, when you see a black man properly dressed up in corporate shirt tucked in plain trousser, or dressed in sort of another refined dressing other than 'baggy jeans and shirts with miami or NY cap worn backwards on top and fancy sneakers footwears', holding his head up high in the air and walking with a somewhat prideful gait of self-importance, that man is most likely to be a Nigerian, who believes that he is better than everybody around him, can achieve whatever he wants to acheive, is hardly intimidated by anybody or anything, and goes for what he wants. This spirit has been identified as the key that drives Nigerians to success in US.
More like reasons to be proud of America. America creates an environment for people to succeed, something Nigerians have so far been inept at. Nigeria is not even among the 5 most successful immigrant groups in America, your submission pretty much much sums up the delusions of the average Nigerian. Citing the experience of less than 1% of your countryfolk living half way around the world should be the exception, not the rule.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by phreakabit(m): 5:49am On Aug 15, 2014
Who said I was?
Proudly Igbo that's it.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by elspycey(m): 5:59am On Aug 15, 2014
Nigeria is like a furnace where precious metals are forged into into valuable pieces, if u can survive in Nigeria, you can make it anywhere in the world (provided you're not daft). I'm proud to be a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by salam1(m): 6:04am On Aug 15, 2014
Am proud 2 b a Nigerian cos God made a citizen here nd I know he has a reason 4 doing dat

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Funniez: 6:08am On Aug 15, 2014
Like if u are proud of Nigeria yet cant find d reason behind it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by ArcBishopmarie(m): 6:20am On Aug 15, 2014
Nigerian are hard working, they no dey carry last, they always succed were others failed. To me Naija is da only country where a foreign feel at home in terms of police and immige intimidation. Naija is very friendly to strangers. Nwanne naija food is da best... No matter anything da world may say about nigeria.. Naija is da best. If not 4 bad government, no plans for da citizens : we will never step foot out of Niger ( S. O. S ). One day Americans with fight to get a Nigerian Visa: so help us Lord... God bless Naija
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Lakayanah: 6:22am On Aug 15, 2014
This is the only country babalawo clean up and call himself babalawo church of the supernatural. Where pastors dey take the position of God. Country where monkey dey work baboon dey chop. Steal 20k life in imprisonment 7billion chieftaincy title.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 6:27am On Aug 15, 2014
I can never be proud that I'm a nigeria, this deserted country! May God help us all!

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Okijajuju1(m): 6:28am On Aug 15, 2014
Why not..
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by bigfrancis21: 6:33am On Aug 15, 2014
Horayce:
More like reasons to be proud of America. America creates an environment for people to succeed, something Nigerians have so far been inept at. Nigeria is not even among the 5 most successful immigrant groups in America, your submission pretty much much sums up the delusions of the average Nigerian. Citing the experience of less than 1% of your countryfolk living half way around the world should be the exception, not the rule.

@bold...are you serious? Have you ever been to Nigeria before to see the ubiquitous competitive and hustling spirit of Nigerians? Have you been to Nigeria to see the high number of successful people there? Check Forbes list of richest black people on earth and count how many made-in-Nigeria billionaires on that list. Were you actually sober when you made that statement?

Nigerians have been identified as one of the 8 most successful immigrant groups in the US, and most educated group of immigrants with most Nigerians likely to have at least a B.sc degree and 3/4 of the B.sc holders likely to also have masters or PhD in addition.
http://nypost.com/2014/01/04/tiger-mom-some-groups-are-just-better-than-others/
http://www.bet.com/news/national/2012/03/20/survey-nigerians-most-educated-in-the-u-s.html

Nigeria was the only black nation to make that list of caucasians. Nigerians tend to be quite successful in their endeavours, often creating and making name for themselves. It is very hard to find a Nigerian lying on the streets of america, or in bus bays, or sitting down by the sidewalk with placards begging for money. They are way too prideful for that. If he is not in school pursuing some professional career, he is either working a white-collar job, or whatever paying job that houses his head, puts food on the table and keeps him 1 step away from the streets.

Just yesterday I was at my school library and on a folder was a collection of a select few best-selling novels of this year with a placard placed on the shelf saying same. Right there sitting on the shelf was Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's novel, 'Americanah' among other american/european best-sellers. I could never have been prouder of being Nigerian. Next year, I am sure 'Sunset in Biafra' or some other explosive book in the making of hers will rock Emelika. Ngozi Adichie is said to be Chinua Achebe's replacement. Chinua Achebe's 'things fall apart' rocked America for decades, having been included in the American educational curriculum for compulsory reading in primary and secondary schools, and taking over from the legacies of Achebe are Adichie's books.

Are you even aware other Africans admire Nigerians a lot?

9 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by achi4u(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2014
I'm no longer proud of this country, so many things are going zigzag.
I rep Biafra.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by jmoore(m): 6:38am On Aug 15, 2014
9ja for life.
No one chooses his or her biological parents. No one chooses his or her country of origin.

I am proud to be a Nigerian.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by pappyrose(f): 6:43am On Aug 15, 2014
I'm proud of my country cos I'm not a bastard and I know there's no place like home. I'd rather stay home as an heir and repair my home than to go to someone else's home and be a slave.

Proudly Nigerian
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by slap1(m): 6:56am On Aug 15, 2014
I don't really have a choice, that's why.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by eduxerxes: 7:01am On Aug 15, 2014
I'm proud of Nigeria cos of the following reasons:

1) EBOLA Virus that we can't control

2) Corruption

3) 419'ers every where

4) Bribery at all levels

5) Brutality of law enforcement agencies (police, army, even LASTMA)

6) Strike action every month...even doctors, one day e go be prisons officers on strike.(Wonder why dem neva still go strike till now)

7) Suffering pensioners every where complaining abt the same thing...non-payment

cool Exam malpractice has become a norm...

9) No electricity

10) No pipe-borne water!

Finally, I provide electricity for myself (I pass my neighbor), provide shelter with my meagre salary, provide water for myself (my bore-hole), provide security for myself (Musa my gate man), we contributed money to grade our roads here... etc.

What does the government do? And u tell me to be proud of this country of shyt? Damn!

Any way, I STILL LOVE MY COUNTRY because WE STILL SURVIVE and are Happy DESPITE THE BULLSHIT WE SEE EVERYDAY!

5 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by davdandam(m): 7:06am On Aug 15, 2014
Was working with a Malawian, he got a job offer in another country guess what he said.....I m too used to Nigeria, I'm a Nigerian lol, the way I felt that day was soooo I dunno even patrick Sawyer trusted Nigerian hospitals more than his country, we ain't there yet but we ain't where we used to be.gradually Nigeria is progressing and I'm proud of this great nation even though e hard 9ja man go still make am.and apc supporters of APC don't quote me
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:07am On Aug 15, 2014
seriously? Anyone who is genuinely proud to be Nigerian needs their head checked! Honest truth....Please look at your country again and tell me what is there to be proud of.....Mtchewwww....

6 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Naijalastborn(m): 7:10am On Aug 15, 2014
Because i am a Nigerian..

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by conyema12(m): 7:10am On Aug 15, 2014
Because we are noisy people. ...you can imagine 2 Nigerian friends seeing themselves again after a very long time at the lobby of a five star hotel in America or Europe.....it will be like.

O boy far!!!!! * with serious shout*
Guy I dey oh!!!. Weyy you go hide since now!!!!
Wetin you dey do for here!!!!!.
O boy you don hammer oooo
and they will keep shouting the pleasantries in the serene atmosphere even when other nationals will be looking at them awkwardly. ..they don't care..

I love that I don't care attitude.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Phlakes(f): 7:10am On Aug 15, 2014
Cos i don't have a choice
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by KanayoIkeh(m): 7:15am On Aug 15, 2014
Honestly, I am proud of Nigeria only because it's the country I was born into and I'm supposed to be proud of my country. That's all.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by NadiaSA1(f): 7:21am On Aug 15, 2014
Proudly South African , Nigerian by heart

3 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:26am On Aug 15, 2014
I am proud to be a nigerian because whether the devil and his cohorts like it or not, I am a Nigerian.

One thing I love about we Nigerians is our never die attitudes. No matter how helpless a situation is, we never give up on life.

We are fun to be with, have our own way of doing things. Anything that life throws our way, no matter how helpless and impossible it seems to other nationalitys, we nigerians always find way to come out of that situation victorious........

2 Likes

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by popson1st: 7:35am On Aug 15, 2014
Everything for naija na spiritual.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by newguy1(m): 7:40am On Aug 15, 2014
Who said im proud, well im not disappointed either as d saying goes a boy that never goes out tinx his mothers cookin is d best
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:42am On Aug 15, 2014
Right now, i'm very swayed. I love my country, most of its people, most Naija people know what they want and go for it with the confidence of a hawk even if na to go bomb or swindle.
But am I really, really proud? I don't think so. But....if you ask me if I am proud to be a Yoruba person? hell yeah!!!!

"Omo owoyele Ogun yede, otoshi o ye omo eniyan... Adiye otosi ni nje larin igbe, ti omo owoyele a je ni gbangba oko..."

I'm rocking the tribe, a reason to love the country but not be proud of it....for now!

In a year, you can ask me again.
Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Nobody: 7:48am On Aug 15, 2014
Proud of Nigeria?! Nucca please!!!! I love Nigeria like one would love a delinquent child but proud of her I am most certainly not.

1 Like

Re: Why Are You Proud To Be Nigerian? by Emmanuex(m): 7:48am On Aug 15, 2014
Terrorism nd corruption.. In other words am nt proud being a nigerian

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Showcasing Bonny(ibani) Culture- / Who Is Kiliwi Nwachukwu? Is He Real Or Just A Folklore? / Yoruba Origin Revisited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.