Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,913 members, 7,806,651 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:53 PM

Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land (34295 Views)

Planting Tomato - My Experience(photos) / Pawpaw Hybrid Seed For Planting? / Plantain Sucker Planting Season (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 11:14pm On Aug 14, 2014
I want to plant ugu this month but some people I met while clearing the farm said I would have wait till September or October, If I wait till then, the land will get bushy again and will cost me more money to clear it. I want to plant it this month cos I have cleared the place already and...
1. The soil is well drained loamy soil and its not a water lodged land
2. I want to make ridges or moulds.
3. I dont have more money to clear it again and I will be doing the clearing and watering myself after planting.

Is it advisable to plant this month? How many seeds can I plant in each hole? Need ya advise sharp sharp on to make them grow well.... Thnks
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Nobody: 5:08am On Aug 15, 2014
RealChris: I want to plant ugu this month but some people I met while clearing the farm said I would have wait till September or October, If I wait till then, the land will get bushy again and will cost me more money to clear it. I want to plant it this month cos I have cleared the place already and...
1. The soil is well drained loamy soil and its not a water lodged land
2. I want to make ridges or moulds.
3. I dont have more money to clear it again and I will be doing the clearing and watering myself after planting.

Is it advisable to plant this month? How many seeds can I plant in each hole? Need ya advise sharp sharp on to make them grow well.... Thnks
It all depends on the area. However you must present some info on the availability of water and topography of the area for anyone to render a helpful advice.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Paulordiah(m): 1:55pm On Aug 25, 2014
Hi you can plant, do you have water supply?
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Nobody: 4:12am On Aug 27, 2014
Abeg realchris..where did you get the ugwu seeds from? Please write back..
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Paulordiah(m): 10:33am On Sep 02, 2014
You get the seed at oyinbo market lagos

1 Like

Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by smithboela(m): 7:04am On Sep 05, 2014
I am also interested in planting Ugwu too.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 12:25am On Sep 14, 2014
oneangle: Abeg realchris..where did you get the ugwu seeds from? Please write back..

Sorry for the late reply. I got it from a man in Edo state and he is selling 3k per custard or small paint can
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 12:45am On Oct 22, 2014
pls I need to know the kind of fertilizer to apply
to my ugu.... Urea or NPK which one is best?
Someone said Urea is good for leaves while NPK
is good for seed... I dont know how true is it... I
need leaves.... Ya advice pls...Thanks
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Kalusam(m): 8:32am On Oct 22, 2014
Hello Chris, Urea is a single fertilizer which contains mostly Nitrogen (which is essential for the vegetative growth of plants). But remember that as you want to have vegetative growth, you also don't want to have yellow leaf or weak vines, so while urea is good N.P.K will be better, I suggest you use N.P.K 20:10:10 or Urea+Farm yard manure.

RealChris:
pls I need to know the kind of fertilizer to apply
to my ugu.... Urea or NPK which one is best?
Someone said Urea is good for leaves while NPK
is good for seed... I dont know how true is it... I
need leaves.... Ya advice pls...Thanks
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by mogentle(m): 3:28pm On Oct 22, 2014
Kalusam:
Hello Chris, Urea is a single fertilizer which contains mostly Nitrogen (which is essential for the vegetative growth of plants). But remember that as you want to have vegetative growth, you also don't want to have yellow leaf or weak vines, so while urea is good N.P.K will be better, I suggest you use N.P.K 20:10:10 or Urea+Farm yard manure.

@Kalusam, do you know how one can get NPK fertilizer?.....at least a bag for now.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 9:25pm On Oct 22, 2014
Kalusam:

Thanks Kalusam.... I will buy that next time. I hv bought Urea n NPK 15:15:15 to mix them and apply. Hope it will have no effect on the vegetables.... Thanks once more Kalusam
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 9:39pm On Oct 22, 2014
Attached is a shot of ma ugu farm

3 Likes

Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by anienge001: 4:43am On Oct 23, 2014
RealChris:
Attached is a shot of ma ugu farm

Any harvest yet? Looks good though!
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Kalusam(m): 7:58am On Oct 23, 2014
I cannot categorically tell you whether it will have a bad effect or not. Fertilizers are meant to supplement available soil nutrients, so how rich is your soil in Nitrogen? Is it necessary to add more of Nitrogen rather than phosporus or other elements? Answering these will help you to make a more informed decision.
RealChris:

Thanks Kalusam.... I will buy that next time. I hv bought Urea n NPK 15:15:15 to mix them and apply. Hope it will have no effect on the vegetables.... Thanks once more Kalusam
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 10:26pm On Oct 24, 2014
anienge001:

Any harvest yet? Looks good though!

Yes but not from this section... will upload those I hv harvested from. thanks..
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 10:36pm On Oct 24, 2014
Kalusam:
I cannot categorically tell you whether it will have a bad effect or not. Fertilizers are meant to supplement available soil nutrients, so how rich is your soil in Nitrogen? Is it necessary to add more of Nitrogen rather than phosporus or other elements? Answering these will help you to make a more informed decision.

Actually, I didnt do any soil test but farmers around do apply only NPK15:15:15 to their own but I was told that Urea mks it to produce good leaves while NPK helps for seed production... So I just decided to mixed the 2. I also use extra boost to spray the leaves. I know soil test is very very compulsory n important but I dont know where to do it and how much it can cost me. Thanks for ur replies Kalusam, It helps....
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 10:37pm On Oct 24, 2014
Kalusam:

Actually, I didnt do any soil test but farmers around do apply only NPK15:15:15 to their own but I was told that Urea mks it to produce good leaves while NPK helps for seed production... So I just decided to mixed the 2. I also use extra boost to spray the leaves. I know soil test is very very compulsory n important but I dont know where to do it and how much it can cost me. Thanks for ur replies Kalusam, It helps.... I will appreciate if there are more advice for improvement.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 5:53pm On Nov 13, 2014
Good day, pls I want to know if anyone here have used GNLD Super Grow. If any, pls how was the yield like? thanks for ya quick response.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by ptoall: 2:00am On Nov 20, 2014
Why don't you put poultry dungs around the plant?
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 4:18am On Nov 21, 2014
ptoall:
Why don't you put poultry dungs around the plant?

There is no poultry around but i have applied urea n npk fertilizer. Only wanted to know how super grow works. thanks
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by Juliana7: 5:11pm On Nov 21, 2014
@ realchris, pls in one of ur earlier posts u mentioned dat u "used extra boost to spray the leave" are saying u sprayed chemical on d leave. Is it herbicide or insectide, i learnt d formal will kill ur vegetable. So which did u use?
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by focus7: 11:12pm On Nov 21, 2014
RealChris:

There is no poultry around but i have applied urea n npk fertilizer. Only wanted to know how super grow works. thanks
RealChrist hi, happy to u as a colleague on the forum. I am an Ugu farmer, we planted almost the same period. I did my first planting first week of October and the second and third weeks after. If u don't mind I will like us to be sharing experience together, both here on the forum and outside. 08162782398.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 3:10am On Nov 22, 2014
Juliana7:
@ realchris, pls in one of ur earlier posts u mentioned dat u "used extra boost to spray the leave" are saying u sprayed chemical on d leave. Is it herbicide or insectide, i learnt d formal will kill ur vegetable. So which did u use?

Yes, I used boost extra. Boost extra is like a liquid fertilizer which enhances d veg to grow fast but frm my observation it only changes the colour of the leaves n mks it to look fresh, just like treatment; use it when the leaves are yellow. Will advise U apply normal granule fertilizer like npk15:15:15 or urea. but I mixed both n applied once n the ugu looks sweet. will try n get some shots
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 3:17am On Nov 22, 2014
focus7:
RealChrist hi, happy to u as a colleague on the forum. I am an Ugu farmer, we planted almost the same period. I did my first planting first week of October and the second and third weeks after. If u don't mind I will like us to be sharing experience together, both here on the forum and outside. 08162782398.

I'm glad Focus. Was really lonely here, good to have U here. hope ur vegs are good. where do U base? will b glad to share experience.

Called but seems its a wrong number.

1 Like

Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by focus7: 1:44pm On Nov 22, 2014
RealChris:

I'm glad Focus. Was really lonely here, good to have U here. hope ur vegs are good. where do U base? will b glad to share experience.

Called but seems its a wrong number.
am sorry for the error, the right number is 08162782389
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by smartoskie(m): 9:55pm On Nov 22, 2014
RealChris:

Yes but not from this section... will upload those I hv harvested from. thanks..

Have u harvested any from this section yet? what is the quantity like and at what rate did u sell them?
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 11:27pm On Nov 22, 2014
smartoskie:

Have u harvested any from this section yet? what is the quantity like and at what rate did u sell them?

Yes.... Got 25pieces from there. it was sold for N100 each piece. its not much since its d first harvest from it. Harvested frm the first set I planted today again, its the forth time I hv harvest frm it. Didnt complete an acre at first due to d community youth disturbance n unavailability of seeds. Just finished it this month n I hv added an acre to mk it 2 acres. My issh is tht I'm not sure if its a complete size; thts 2acres but I'm sure of getting over 200 - 300pieces in every 10days harvest by January.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 11:28pm On Nov 22, 2014
focus7:
am sorry for the error, the right number is 08162782389

Noted.
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by OrlandoOwoh(m): 7:49am On Nov 23, 2014
Please, what is the Yoruba word for oregano?
Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by smartoskie(m): 5:18pm On Nov 23, 2014
RealChris:

Yes.... Got 25pieces from there. it was sold for N100 each piece. its not much since its d first harvest from it. Harvested frm the first set I planted today again, its the forth time I hv harvest frm it. Didnt complete an acre at first due to d community youth disturbance n unavailability of seeds. Just finished it this month n I hv added an acre to mk it 2 acres. My issh is tht I'm not sure if its a complete size; thts 2acres but I'm sure of getting over 200 - 300pieces in every 10days harvest by January.

Great job bros. Keep it up.
Please i like to know where u are base, i wish to pay a visit to your farm if permited and learn from you. Can i reach you on the phone?

1 Like

Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by RealChris(m): 7:34pm On Nov 23, 2014
smartoskie:

Great job bros. Keep it up.
Please i like to know where u are base, i wish to pay a visit to your farm if permited and learn from you. Can i reach you on the phone?

I live in Benin City, Edo state and you are permitted and free to visit anytime n anyday

1 Like

Re: Planting Ugu This Month On An Acre Of Land by ptoall: 9:49pm On Nov 23, 2014
RealChris:

@Realchris, what do u refer to 1 piece. You said 25 pieces was sold for 100 naira. Is it the stalk? Can u post some pictures?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

‘It Has No Nutrition’ — FG To Ban ‘Ponmo’ To Revive Leather Industry / See The Coloured Corn I Harvested From My Farm / Poultry Farmer Cries Out After Losing 100 Broilers In A Day

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.