Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,787 members, 7,798,627 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:27 AM

Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 (2264 Views)

Google Nexus 7 Vs Amazon Kindle Fire HD / Window 7 Vs Window Xp / Window 7 Vs Window Xp (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by mazizitonene(m): 12:28am On Aug 15, 2014
I'm a student who just got a brand new laptop pre-installed with windows 8. But my friends, those that are IT inclined advise me to change/degrade it to windows 7 that's its more better. Some even suggested I can run d two simultaneously which they called "partition". Just wana know from the elders/gurus in the house if its worth it and what are d adverse effects...tanx
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 12:33am On Aug 15, 2014
mazizitonene: I'm a student who just got a brand new laptop pre-installed with windows 8. But my friends, those that are IT inclined advise me to change/degrade it to windows 7 that's its more better. Some even suggested I can run d two simultaneously which they called "partition". Just wana know from the elders/gurus in the house if its worth it and what are d adverse effects...tanx

Your friends have no idea what they are talking about.

I don't even see how they can call themselves 'IT inclined'

Windows 8/8.1 (you should really upgrade to 8.1) is quite a bit better than Windows 7, faster bootup times and much tighter built-in security features. Windows 8.1 UI is different, but if you fool around with it on a daily basis, it takes like 30 minutes to 1 hour to get used to. By no means should you downgrade to Windows 7, instead upgrade to Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 is quite a stellar OS despite what the computer illiterates say. Those who have taken the time to learn how to use it agree that it is quite good. Don't listen to Microsoft haters. Most people just don't want to learn new things. You are a young man, you should be willing to learn new things.

3 Likes

Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by OmichaelO: 12:57am On Aug 15, 2014
@fulaman said it all..My last experience of windows 8.1 was not really good tho'.. Damaged my brother's Laptop. I guess it's because that was the first release and it was quite unstable...

IMO @OP keep running windows 8,once you fall in love with it,you won't let go!! Besides inside of partition and running both W7 N W8. I replace with something cool and uncommon like OPENSUS (Linux)
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by 3RNEST(m): 1:14am On Aug 15, 2014
Windows 7 rock cool (For beginners, superkool) but Windows 8 (For beginners, No u go reget buying that computer)..... grin
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by mazizitonene(m): 8:28am On Aug 15, 2014
Fulaman198:

Your friends have no idea what they are talking about.

I don't even see how they can call themselves 'IT inclined'

Windows 8/8.1 (you should really upgrade to 8.1) is quite a bit better than Windows 7, faster bootup times and much tighter built-in security features. Windows 8.1 UI is different, but if you fool around with it on a daily basis, it takes like 30 minutes to 1 hour to get used to. By no means should you downgrade to Windows 7, instead upgrade to Windows 8.1

Windows 8.1 is quite a stellar OS despite what the computer illiterates say. Those who have taken the time to learn how to use it agree that it is quite good. Don't listen to Microsoft haters. Most people just don't want to learn new things. You are a young man, you should be willing to learn new things.
hian! Na advice abi na quarrel ??....na advice I ask for.....anyways, tanx 4 d info, but their arguement is that windows 7 support more/ a higher variety of programs/softwares than windows 8..that there are some useful program that won't run/function well on windows 8 but work perfectly on 7...is this true ?
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by 3RNEST(m): 11:39am On Aug 15, 2014
mazizitonene: hian! Na advice abi na quarrel ??....na advice I ask for.....anyways, tanx 4 d info, but their arguement is that windows 7 support more/ a higher variety of programs/softwares than windows 8..that there are some useful program that won't run/function well on windows 8 but work perfectly on 7...is this true ?
Well said....... cool
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by phemoluv02(m): 2:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
Windows 8 is good and it has more features and inbuilt programs but Window 7 is still far more better because it support many programs/applications. it rocks and easy to understand for beginner.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by 3RNEST(m): 2:56pm On Aug 15, 2014
phemoluv02: Windows 8 is good and it has more features and inbuilt programs but Window 7 is still far more better because it support many programs/applications. it rocks and easy to understand for beginner.
On my side....So windows 7 Rock..... cool
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 4:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
mazizitonene: hian! Na advice abi na quarrel ??....na advice I ask for.....anyways, tanx 4 d info, but their arguement is that windows 7 support more/ a higher variety of programs/softwares than windows 8..that there are some useful program that won't run/function well on windows 8 but work perfectly on 7...is this true ?

Not under my experience, no
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by maxjax(m): 10:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
windows 8 or 8.1 tha BEST for professionals.....if it doesn't support some of your wares, then u can make it support.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by mazizitonene(m): 11:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
maxjax: windows 8 or 8.1 tha BEST for professionals.....if it doesn't support some of your wares, then u can make it support.
and how can I do that ?
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 6:16am On Aug 16, 2014
mazizitonene: and how can I do that ?

Run it in compatibility mode, but I highly doubt you will find something like that.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 12:44pm On Aug 16, 2014

Oga the line in bold is very untrue!

Tell them to mention one program that doesn't run well on Win 8 but works just fine on Win 7, just one.

2 Likes

Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 12:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
Some people just hate Win 8 for no good reason.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 12:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
In fact OP should make new friends! angry
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 4:59pm On Aug 16, 2014
Bawss1: Some people just hate Win 8 for no good reason.

That's exactly what I have been saying. They just don't want to learn new things. A lot (if not all) programmes work on Windows 8/8.1
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by mazizitonene(m): 6:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
Bawss1: In fact OP should make new friends! angry
grin

4 Likes

Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by ARico(m): 2:19pm On Aug 18, 2014
Pls nairaland people help..I'm using window and I downloaded window 8 activator key and installed it. The system shut down and restart immediately, I put my password but not showing anything again except blank screen. Pls what can I do?
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 8:22pm On Aug 18, 2014
^ Is your copy of Win 8 genuine? I'm guessing not, there are elements of risk in using a pirated OS, that blank screen might be one of such risks.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by ARico(m): 7:54pm On Aug 20, 2014
^ I dnt think the window 8 is genuine because I took it from friend. But Pls what is the solution for it now.?
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 8:21pm On Aug 20, 2014
ARico: ^ I dnt think the window 8 is genuine because I took it from friend. But Pls what is the solution for it now.?

You need to find a non-pirated copy of Windows
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by ARico(m): 7:01pm On Aug 21, 2014
^ if I find it will I reinstall it because the screen is not even displaying anything.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 5:53am On Aug 22, 2014
ARico: ^ if I find it will I reinstall it because the screen is not even displaying anything.

Ouch I see
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Shawl001(m): 6:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
ARico: Pls nairaland people help..I'm using window and I downloaded window 8 activator key and installed it. The system shut down and restart immediately, I put my password but not showing anything again except blank screen. Pls what can I do?
. The only option left for you is to wipe the OS..mean format it and reinstall from scratch..with a genuine OS..
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Shawl001(m): 6:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
Fulaman198:
That's exactly what I have been saying. They just don't want to learn new things. A lot (if not all) programmes work on Windows 8/8.1
. Bro, dat one na lie oo. Not all softwares will work on windows8. I had win7 on ma lappy initially bfor I upgraded to win8. Softwares lik; Autocad, Revit Architecture, dah were once on ma laptop, working fine and good thru win7, can no longer work on win8..telling its not compatible.. #What nonsense# I had to *downgrade it back to win7.. Now its working perfectly again..and morever, in win8, u have to be *updating this, updating that,* all d time..more frequent than win7. So win8 isn't for 9ja network cos of d high cost or unavailability of constant browsing network... Well, I'm not confusing u or anytin. Jes sharing ma OPINION WIF U!. Buh, if you want *graphics, speed, greater efficiency..* go for windows8..thanks!
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by scantee(m): 9:00am On Aug 23, 2014
....Well as IT Professional I will advice if your experienced enough with MS -OS keep the windows 8 is cool but if your not that advanced my dear widows 8 is damm boring and it will make you condemn the product, that is the manufacturer but trust me is the OS, for efficient and effective/better understanding of your laptop i think I will give windows 7 a nod.

and worst of it is that windows 8 rejects handy of architectural softwares especially autocad, is none compatible with many programs.

the choice is yours
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Webmasterjames(m): 10:51am On Aug 23, 2014
Everyone using a Windows computer will need to make an important decision: Windows 8 vs. Windows 7 -- which one should I go with? Microsoft is touting Windows 8 as the next big thing in computing, and while it definitely has a lot of great aspects, there are still many good things to love about Windows 7. I will prefer windows 7, it's provides best and easy features and also I taken reviews from my technical friends and tech support company such as Click4Support.

Thank you!!
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Bawss1(m): 5:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
Please it is very incorrect to say Win 8 doesn't support Autocad and the likes. First of all an ancient version of autocad will not work on any recent Windows OS. For the 2014 version you need to follow some minor steps to get it to work like

1. Fresh install of 8.1 x64 (not upgrade).
2. In Windows Control Panel 'Programs and Features' uninstall 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable'
3. Download and Install .Net 3.5 Framework for 8.1  (right click run as admin) file = dotNetFx35_W8.1_x64.exe

(The 2015 version works on Win8.1 without any need for the steps above.)

There are people using autocad on win8/8.1 computers. How do you think they manage it.

undecided

It's not necessary to jump on Win 8, it's predecessor win 7 is still a very capable OS and for many people it meets their needs just fine. What I think is misleading is when people don't know how to do certain things and then they make blanket statements like Win 8 not being able to work just as well as Win 7.

2 Likes

Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 6:13pm On Aug 23, 2014
Bawss1: Please it is very incorrect to say Win 8 doesn't support Autocad and the likes. First of all an ancient version of autocad will not work on any recent Windows OS. For the 2014 version you need to follow some minor steps to get it to work like

2. In Windows Control Panel 'Programs and Features' uninstall 'Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable'
3. Download and Install .Net 3.5 Framework for 8.1  (right click run as admin) file = dotNetFx35_W8.1_x64.exe

There are people using autocad on win8/8.1 computers. How do you think they manage it.

undecided

It's not necessary to jump on Win 8, it's predecessor win 7 is still a very capable OS and for many people it meets their needs just fine. What I think is misleading is when people don't know how to do certain things and then they make blanket statements like Win 8 not being able to work just as well as Win 7.

I give up trying to explain to some people man, since you already explained it there is no further need for me to elaborate. Thank you!
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by scantee(m): 6:21pm On Aug 23, 2014
Bawss1: Please it is very incorrect to say Win 8 doesn't support Autocad and the likes. First of all an ancient version of autocad will not work on any recent Windows OS. For the 2014 version you need to follow some minor steps to get it to work like

undecided

Bro I never said it does not support Cad at all, I said not all version of CAD can run efficiently on win8 without encountering errors, I use windows 8 as well and I have used different versions of CAD but Version 2010 bro na work.
Re: Windows 7 Vs Windows 8 by Fulaman198(m): 6:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
scantee:

Bro I never said it does not support Cad at all, I said not all version of CAD can run efficiently on win8 without encountering errors, I use windows 8 as well and I have used different versions of CAD but Version 2010 bro na work.

Are you attempting to run said application in compatibility mode Which means you have to be on an admin account, right click the programme and run it in compatibility mode.

(1) (Reply)

Download Tubemate App For PC Windows Laptop (7/8/8.1/10) / Successfully Installed My First Hackintosh (mac Os X On A Windows Pc) / HP Pavilion 14 Available SOLD

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.