Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,202 members, 7,807,683 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:21 PM

At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . (23321 Views)

Is Your A/C Very Cool While Driving And Warm At Idle? / Make A Call While Driving And Be Jailed - FRSC Warns / At What Age Did You Buy Your First-Car And How Much Then? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Mcweber(m): 6:28am On Aug 15, 2014
I started steal driving at 18 With my grandpa's abandoned but cherished Peugeot 404 but by 20 I can drive very well and nobody taught me how to drive......na only trailer I never drive before
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by ritux: 6:28am On Aug 15, 2014
I started driving codedly at the age of 16. My mom was aware but my dad did not know. One fateful day, he caught me driving in our street. The fear of him catching me driving got into me that I started fumbling. He was so upset that he got home very angry and started shouting on my mom and I. Later that evening, he could me aside and started advising me. He said he had no problem with me driving but since my hand wasn't strong, I should not drive on the street that I could easily hit someone or run into some buildings. That was the green light for me. At 17 I drove from Warri to Ekpoma, Edo state and from Warri to Port Harcourt. I did not even wait till 18 before I got my Licence.

When I was learning, I never used the L symbol lol
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by makzeze: 6:29am On Aug 15, 2014
At 51 years. It took me 2 days
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by malele(m): 6:30am On Aug 15, 2014
Jss3 I was 14yrs old that's when I drove my mums car, and. Nobody thought me tto drive.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by ogtavia(m): 6:31am On Aug 15, 2014
Started at age 15,was home on holidays,was bored with movies and video games,saw my mom's car and decided to actualise what I av bin practicing during early morning warming,d first movement was a reverse,out of d garage, a few meters(like 15m) then back into it,my leg was shaking all over when I came out,I was actually frightened,my mom saw me and smiled and said be careful,but I wasn't allowed to drive out by myself until I was 16,it was my mom's car,so each she was goin out,I offered to go with her,just to have a chance to drive,I drove till we got to a quite busy road,then she took over,this continued till i got a break,d house was busy,mom was prepping for dad's hosting his town's people on a sunday,so I was asked if I could take my sisters to church,I was happy,it was quite a distance,but gets less busy and chaotic on sunday,on my way back,I picked up a woman who thought I was a pro,nearly ran into a taxi on d way back,d woman alighted not long after,from there,I was allowed to be goin to some places myself,by 18,I was driving alone myself,my dad got me by learners permit,after three issues,I got my driver's license at 20,was very happy,I had been driving well since I was 17 though,it took a while to gain my parent's confidence,whenever I drove my dad,he will say,don't pass 40km/h,mom will say,don't ever get to 60km/hr,but with time,they loosened up,I av bin driving now,for 9 years,haven't got my car,currently driving a hand-me down from my dad,working towards getting my first car....yet,I daresay,I get better each time,compared to my driving last year,I av gotten better,u can never be a whole driver,u get better by experience...experience makes good drivers not turning the steering and working the pedals..

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by eduxerxes: 6:33am On Aug 15, 2014
I started driving at age 20. I learnt how to drive with one "agbaya" motor that is probably at the museum now! Luckily I'v perfected and I'm driving fleet of cars now! Oluwa Oshe
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 6:34am On Aug 15, 2014
So you still on nairaland.hi.
babyosisi: Mine is pathetic
I didn't start driving till I was 26
It took 2 months grin
I was too scared to learn grin
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by hzamani(m): 6:37am On Aug 15, 2014
started driving @ age 8....
believe it or not

later later.... I learnt how to balance on my bicycle cheesy
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Foma2: 6:38am On Aug 15, 2014
@ 16yrs, jux a day of pratice and within sum hrs, I drove on an expressway. It took me sum tym 2 perfect it though.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by yunisco: 6:38am On Aug 15, 2014
If u knw u started driving at Age 18 below, come to my left, age18 above come to my right, let knw those that will be charge to court. People perish bcus dey disobey the laws of d land, oya all d undere age should come 2 my left with speed.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by kadas01(m): 6:39am On Aug 15, 2014
At 17, I started driving; but got perfect when I was 18 with the help of my mum's driver!

Personally, I feel it's better to learn how to drive when you're younger!
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by femi4love(m): 6:40am On Aug 15, 2014
15 years old and it took about 3 weeks to get a hang of it.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by tunshe: 6:41am On Aug 15, 2014
babyosisi: Mine is pathetic
I didn't start driving till I was 26
It took 2 months grin
I was too scared to learn grin

There is nothing pathetic about that.

You had a poor background and you shouldn't be ashamed to state that afterall it wasn't your fault. ("Nigeria is a useless country"...babymama1 babyosisi. )

Atleast you are now a babymama in "amelika", showing us what you eat, drink, TV, roads, hospital, your car rental windscreen, kitchen.....Thank for your life.

@OP,the first time I drove a car....... sad I crashed into a fence at Ajao Estate in Lagos, close to CHI Ltd. We had to fix the company fence and the car. I was 19 yrs old.

Thank God for the gift of life.

Driving is classical conditioning, practice it for sometime and you don't have to think about it afterwards. It becomes part of you.

Today if there's a road from US to Nigeria, I will hit the road. cheesy

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by SpcAgtOko: 6:41am On Aug 15, 2014
I "stole" the car and got took to jail at 12... sad Then I waited until I was old enough to drive legally which was 14 for me.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egopersonified(f): 6:49am On Aug 15, 2014
adekayo1234: I started driving before age 1.
Before you crucify me, na baby seat be my first car and I sabi drive am wella grin grin

please how old are you so I can verify this info?
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Pool4us(m): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2014
At d age of 16, bt i almost kill one old woman at d road side, and i crushed front left pointer sid of d car¿
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egopersonified(f): 6:50am On Aug 15, 2014
mokaflex: 5tc. That's good.

when did this start?
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Shadeolad(f): 6:51am On Aug 15, 2014
Chynx: I started driving at the age of 13. My Dad owned a scrap Peugeot 404 truck which was obviously a Manually transmitted vehicle. My elder brother (who was 15 at that time) and I, used to start the truck by joining two wires together because the key ignition system was bad and my Dad had it hotwired. (Money no dey to buy new ignition). We use the handle of a spoon or any flat metal to release the steering lock, by turning on the ignition first before joining the wires. The truck was always at home, while Dad and Mum were away at work. The family only took it to the farm on Saturdays. That gave room for plenty of time to practice what we watch Daddy do. grin

I Did my first interstate drive from Benin to Owerri at 14. It was my Dad's Peugeot 504 this time. My Mum had to travel for August meeting; needed to be mobile in the village but did not have the heart to drive herself through the highway. I took the vehicle down to the villa for her...and enjoyed almost two weeks of a lovely August villa experience.

I still have my very first learner's permit which was arranged for me at the age of 14 (Naija Factor), and which I would have shared on this forum...but for security reason due to the "faceless forum" thingy. I believe I was one of the youngest drivers on the streets of Benin at some point.

My longest drive was from Owerri to Sokoto. That was during my NYSC days. My Dad had got me a brand new car then (Toyota Corolla 1.8GLI...European) as a graduation gift. I did not want to leave the car for anyone to damage...so I insisted on taking my car with me for the twelve (12) months that I was going to be away, serving my country.

It was a tough trip...as I had to tango with a "The Young Shall Grow" luxurious bus driver somewhere around Minna in Niger state. He agreed to show me through the rest of the journey if i stayed close; so I followed his trail through Kaduna, Katsina, Gusau in Zamfara and finally, Farufaru in Sokoto. I hear whiiiiiiin!

Driving is pleasurable...if you've got the will.

Cheers.
farufaru sokoto. U got me nostalgic. I also served in sokoto

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egopersonified(f): 6:57am On Aug 15, 2014
smudge2079: I don't drive. Jesus always take d wheels grin
Amen.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Vicjay1(m): 7:00am On Aug 15, 2014
I started driving when I was 12. No body taught me. My dad was surprised when he saw me driving his tortoise car. Did my first interstate driving when I was 16. Sapele - Benin City.since then I have been driving but hate driving at nite.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egopersonified(f): 7:00am On Aug 15, 2014
fyneboi79: 62 grin

Kindly upload your birth certificate, thanks.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by smudge2079(m): 7:01am On Aug 15, 2014
egopersonified:
Amen.
And amen.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 7:01am On Aug 15, 2014
I learned how to drive at 17 & seriously no one but my curiosity taught me. I had sternly watched people drive earlier.

My uncle's family-friend parked their car in their house while they travelled & i went to spend the after-WAEC holiday there. When they go out, i'd reverse the car out of the gate(i still wonder how i did that successfully severally with a manual) and drive round the estate. It wasn't long before they found out & i was heavyly scolded, but by then i was already driving well.

My parents got a carina -e some months later & instantly, i started driving to ibadan, ibafo etc

Really it took me just minutes to learn to drive a manual.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by egesie(m): 7:05am On Aug 15, 2014
Atmmachine: I started driving at age 13
I started doing inter country at age 15.. Anambra state to Accra Ghana.

When i moved to America, i realized that the most professional driver in Nigeria can never pass an ordinary driving test here in America.

What we do in Naija is playing not driving
pls I'm curious to know how you got past uniformed officers on nigeria road

2 Likes

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by adsonstone: 7:07am On Aug 15, 2014
Started (fully) at 16.

I learnt at age 14 for twelve consecutive days.
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by roufy235(m): 7:09am On Aug 15, 2014
at the age of 16
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 7:10am On Aug 15, 2014
I'm 21and ii still dunno how to drive
Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Oilandgas1(m): 7:13am On Aug 15, 2014
I started driving at 53yrs and it took me a whole 4yrs to perfect my driving. I'm a professional now.

1 Like

Re: At What Age Did U Start Driving And How Many Days It Took You To Be Perfect . by Nobody: 7:13am On Aug 15, 2014
Atmmachine: I started driving at age 13
I started doing inter country at age 15.. Anambra state to Accra Ghana.

When i moved to America, i realized that the most professional driver in Nigeria can never pass an ordinary driving test here in America.

What we do in Naija is playing not driving
Really, what does driving abroad entail that makes people fail the tests over & over? Do they fly with cars? Or is it mastery of road signs? I strongly believe i can drive easily anywhere on earth.

You may correct me.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

7 Myths About Fuel Economy / Five New Cars To Buy In 2013 / 10 Fuel Saving Tips Every Driver Should Know Today!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.