Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,228 members, 7,780,432 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 02:10 PM

About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists (2093 Views)

Primate Ayodele: Buhari Can’t Take Us To Promise Land, Nigeria Will Break Up / Nigeria Will Gain Nothing By Killing Rev. King – Igbo Group Begs Buhari For Pard / Nigeria Will Overcome Challenges – Mbaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 2:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
Children growing up today are bombarded with so much information that they grow up fast. A 14 year old girl can tell you all about HIV, safe sex and condoms. This is because many of them have access to the internet and numerous channels on the television, in contrast to when we, the previous generation, grew up with books, newspapers and few channels on the television.

Last week, I told a child (13 years old) that Justin Bieber is 19 years old. Funny enough, after telling her, she quickly swiped a number of times on her smartphone and corrected me that Bieber is actually 20 years old. Children nowadays have the means by which they find the truth for themselves. The connection here with atheism is that the internet is a place where religion is heavily questioned and criticised, and therefore, children who spend a lot of time on the internet are going to encounter these criticisms of religion and have questions of themselves.

I also have the privilege of working with teenagers and young adults in Nigeria. Many of them watch shows like Naruto, South Korean dramas, Bleach, Death Note, Avatar, Disney Channel live-shows etc. Many of these shows are foreign and have no religious content. Animes like Naruto and Death note are Japanese and have a very trivial notion of "God". It should also be noted that Japanese and South Koreans are very atheistic in beliefs.

These shows affect both christians and muslim children. I had a discussion with a group of older teenagers (15-19) about the South Korean dramas that they watch. Many of the girls liked one South Korean actor, whom they felt was very handsome. I asked them if they would get married to the actor if he proposed to them. All of the girls that were fans of the actor agreed. I then added that the guy is probably an atheist or a Korean pagan, and yet, they still agreed. There were 2 muslims among them. Now, consider that in islam, it is forbidden for a muslim woman to get married to a non-muslim.

Naruto is an interesting cartoon because many youth watch it despite it have a parallel culture to that of Nigeria. First off, Naruto (the main character in the cartoon) himself is a pork-eater and is probably a pagan since there are different gods in the cartoon. The oddest thing about Naruto is that he has a demon inside of him and yet he is the good guy in the cartoon. How many Nigerian parents would like to know that their children are cheering for a demon-infested pagan boy?

Also, one other factor is the fact that many Nigerian youth travel out for their higher education. They mostly travel to Europe, USA, Canada and Asia. Europe is generally a very secular and atheistic continent with many people not taking religion seriously. Asia (Japan, China, India, Korea) has more of atheism or non-Abrahamic religions to experience.

For these reasons, I hold that an absolute majority of middle-class to rich Nigerian children will either become atheists or at least irreligious when they grow up. This will be so in the next 20 years.

However, one must consider that an absolute majority of Nigerians are below the middle class level. cry

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Omexonomy: 2:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
WRONG AGAIN.
Their are certain void that cant be filled physically unless spiritualy. The love btw a child and a mother, the essence of continuing living even when all hope are lost.
The place of God cannot be taken over by anything in existence or non existence.
Stop decieving ur self.

1 Like

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 2:30pm On Aug 15, 2014
Omexonomy: WRONG AGAIN.
Their are certain void that cant be filled physically unless spiritualy. The love btw a child and a mother, the essence of continuing living even when all hope are lost.
The place of God cannot be taken over by anything in existence or non existence.
Stop decieving ur self.

Many atheists have God-fearing and loving mothers. Try again

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 2:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
True talk. Accessing the internet is now as easy as unlocking your apartment door. The exposure of kids to immeasurable raw online content is rampant and they are usually victims of the unintended effect of the Internet's main purpose - information. However, your prediction doesn't present much hope for the spiritual lives of the kids. Somewhat pessimistic

3 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 2:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
Tazmode: True talk. Accessing the internet is now as easy as unlocking your door. The exposure of kids to immeasurable raw online content is rampant and they are usually victims of the unintended effect of the Internet's main purpose - information. However, your prediction doesn't present much hope for the spiritual lives of the kids. Somewhat pessimistic

Optimistic actually.

2 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by acenazt: 2:39pm On Aug 15, 2014
Point of Correction Naruto is not a Cartoon. Its an Anime(Animation) and Only the Poor care bout Religion. Why will someone keep believing all his life with out change?? Damn man,people are tired of being told God is in control,God will provide,God God God.

11 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 2:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
acenazt: Point of Correction Naruto is not a Cartoon. Its an Anime(Animation) and Only the Poor care bout Religion. Why will someone keep believing all his life with out change?? Damn man,people are tired of being told God is in control,God will provide,God God God.

Point of correction- I did say that Naruto is an anime. Furthermore, an anime is a cartoon.

And yes, people are beginning to wise up about God and religion.

4 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
Actually they will become Traditionalists. I will see to that.

Nigeria will become a PAGAN Nation.

4 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
PAGAN9JA: Actually they will become Traditionalists. I will see to that.

Nigeria will become a PAGAN Nation.

While I admire your determination, YOU WILL FAIL.

Unless you accept some kind of Hindu-Buddhist syncretism with Naija religion.

Many scientists who left Abrahamic religion are actually atheists with an interest in Buddhism or modern spirituality

1 Like 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by PAGAN9JA(m): 3:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

While I admire your determination, YOU WILL FAIL.

Unless you accept some kind of Hindu-Buddhist syncretism with Naija religion.

Many scientists who left Abrahamic religion are actually atheists with an interest in Buddhism or modern spirituality

Nigeria is a Nation of farmers and daily wage workers.. not scientists.

Nigeria needs the GODs to get through her every day problems.

5 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 3:48pm On Aug 15, 2014
PAGAN9JA:

Nigeria is a Nation of farmers and daily wage workers.. not scientists.

Nigeria needs the GODs to get through her every day problems.

I wish you goodluck

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by pickabeau1: 5:17pm On Aug 15, 2014
The observation is grounded on logic however the percentage is way over estimated

So is this a good thing or bad..

The guy saying naruto is not a cartoon is funny

2 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 5:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
pickabeau1: The observation is grounded on logic however the percentage is way over estimated

So is this a good thing or bad..

The guy saying naruto is not a cartoon is funny

It can be argued that the percentage is way overestimated. Yes, but it is possible given that it is a percentage of a small percentage of Nigerians (60% of the 35% of Nigerians who are well to do)

It is a good thing...

1 Like

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by kevoh(m): 5:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
Following the thread silently.
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by pickabeau1: 5:32pm On Aug 15, 2014
The well to do nigerians are actually less than 35%

More than 5-10%.. (this support the population at large) - a pop of 16 million (max)

Then 60% of this...

Good?Bad? Depends on the side you look at

TheBigUrban2:

It can be argued that the percentage is way overestimated. Yes, but it is possible given that it is a percentage of a small percentage of Nigerians (60% of the 35% of Nigerians who are well to do)

It is a good thing...
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 1:23pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ehen naw, see how we (skeptics/atheists) plenty for nairaland. They say give a man a mask (anonymity) and he'll show you his true face. I think even currently there are a lot of us out there laying low, and the thing be say we no dey organize crusade and outreach tongue people are just finding out the fraud of religion by following their own curiosity. But I feel the correlation is stronger between the level of exposure and access to information and skeptism than wealth, and you've rightly pointed that out already, since you don't, these days, you don't have to be rich or even middle class to own an internet enabled phone or have access to foreign movies, soapies etc. I think the level of exposure is climbing and so is the wealth margin too. If a guy brought up as a moslem (knowing fully well the implication of apostasy) will go on to challenge his alfa in Zaria then you know we have come a long way.

3 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 1:46pm On Aug 16, 2014
Xcapist: Ehen naw, see how we (skeptics/atheists) plenty for nairaland. They say give a man a mask (anonymity) and he'll show you his true face. I think even currently there are a lot of us out there laying low, and the thing be say we no dey organize crusade and outreach tongue people are just finding out the fraud of religion by following their own curiosity. But I feel the correlation is stronger between the level of exposure and access to information and skeptism than wealth, and you've rightly pointed that out already, since you don't, these days, you don't have to be rich or even middle class to own an internet enabled phone or have access to foreign movies, soapies etc. I think the level of exposure is climbing and so is the wealth margin too. If a guy brought up as a moslem (knowing fully well the implication of apostasy) will go on to challenge his alfa in Zaria then you know we have come a long way.

I agree....it doesnt cost much nowadays to get on the internet.

We can even see it here on nairaland- many people are still shocked finding out that there are people who dont believe in God
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by plaetton: 4:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
Tazmode: True talk. Accessing the internet is now as easy as unlocking your apartment door. The exposure of kids to immeasurable raw online content is rampant and they are usually victims of the unintended effect of the Internet's main purpose - information. However, your prediction doesn't present much hope for the spiritual lives of the kids. Somewhat pessimistic

What is a spiritual life?
What percentage of god-believing Nigerians live a spiritual life?
Will a child, for example, who ditches the abrahamic religion for Buddhist philosophy or any one of the Oriental philosophies be deemed non-spiritual, according to you.

My opinion is that religious spirituality is a pretended spirituality, and that religion is perhaps the greatest impediment to living a spiritual life.
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton:

What is a spiritual life?
What percentage of god-believing Nigerians live a spiritual life?
Will a child, for example, who ditches the abrahamic religion for Buddhist philosophy or any one of the Oriental philosophies be deemed non-spiritual, according to you.

My opinion is that religious spirituality is a pretended spirituality, and that religion is perhaps the greatest impediment to living a spiritual life.
according to me? pls, do not attach falsities to me grin a question: are you saying that religion is unconnected to spiritual life? ... Another question, what is your understanding of spiritual life? ... Pardon me, final question (though you may refrain from responding) what do you believe in, in relation to spirituality?
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Oduduwaboy(m): 9:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
...at least the non-existent sky-papa is being phased out!
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by davien(m): 9:44pm On Aug 16, 2014
I'm sick of pretending to be a theist in public,it's freaking nauseating....
"god" is this the mafia based "love" I have to join or burn forever?, I'll gladly burn...

2 Likes

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
davien: I'm sick of pretending to be a theist in public,it's freaking nauseating....
"god" is this the mafia based "love" I have to join or burn forever?, I'll gladly burn...

I swear. Acting like a good christian and going to church when you dont believe that sheit

I would have to ask judas how he does it without feeling disgusted

1 Like

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 6:47pm On Aug 19, 2014
Oduduwaboy: ...at least the non-existent sky-papa is being phased out!

Good riddance, I say!
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 7:06pm On Aug 19, 2014
This is because in the Christian circles, it's all about health, wealth, success and prosperity! When you tell a lazy man that if he believes in God that he will be rich and he 'believes' and is not rich, such a man will sooner or later think that there is no God since there is no manifestation of what was being said! Because he would think that God will make him rich irrespective of the fact that he is lazy and doesn't do anything!

Christianity in Nigeria is 98% faulty! Forget the big churches, they all preach lies!
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 7:07pm On Aug 19, 2014
Mrdifferent: This is because in the Christian circles, it's all about health, wealth, success and prosperity! When you tell a lazy man that if he believes in God that he will be rich and he 'believes' and is not rich, such a man will sooner or later think that there is no God since there is no manifestation of what was being said! Because he would think that God will make him rich irrespective of the fact that he is lazy and has done anything!

Christianity in Nigeria is 98% faulty! Forget the big churches, they all preach lies!

In fact, most churches dont even preach, they just find new ways of telling members to give them money

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 7:11pm On Aug 19, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

In fact, most churches dont even preach, they just find new ways of telling members to give them money
I'm happy for you bro, you know the truth. We seem to be on the same page here. It's all about the money!

1 Like

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
Mrdifferent: I'm happy for you bro, you know the truth. We seem to be on the same page here. It's all about the money!

I realised this when I went to a catholic church that had shiny roofing, AC's and marble altar but the school next to it was in a dilapidated state. I wondered if they couldnt see that the school had a more important function

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by ElFenomeno1: 7:16pm On Aug 19, 2014
Nonsense!
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 19, 2014
I would hv agreed many will be Atheist as the OP noted but not when we hv a religion that is on the rampage forcing people to convert to their religion or die.

I Want to believe someone is atheist because he has "too much" knowledge not to believe there is a God or He/she just refuses to accept the truth because of human pride and laziness to find out the truth.

Even beyond religion there are evidences of the supernatural. I believe that if a man is being sincere, even without religion, He will know there is a God.

My Opinion.
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by Nobody: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

I realised this when I went to a catholic church that had shiny roofing, AC's and marble altar but the school next to it was in a dilapidated state. I wondered if they couldnt see that the school had a more important function
grin grin
Re: About 60% Of Middle-class To Rich Children In Nigeria Will Grow Up To B Atheists by TheBigUrban2: 7:23pm On Aug 19, 2014
ElFenomeno1: Nonsense!

You sound pained......constipation?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between Charity And Tithe,which One Is Better? / Bishop Emeritus Makozi Alexius Is Dead / What Is Islamophobia?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.