Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,442 members, 7,808,578 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:40 PM

Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? (4738 Views)

Are You A Software Developer Or Software Companies With Beta Solution? / Should I Go 4 Oracle or software engineering / Hardware Or Software For Postgraduate Program For A Computer Novice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by smartsoft(m): 4:19pm On Jul 23, 2006
i'm throwing this to my people in nairaland, WEB DEVELOPMENT AND SOFTWARE DEVELOPMENT, which is more lucrative ? because i faced a challenge after visiting METAL HOUSE ogba, where i met a software architect who is old enough to be my father, infact i gained alot from him and he was kind of advicing me to dump Web development because he found that their aren't money in it, so i said i'm going to throw it to the house, because i do really believe that no matter what you doing on IT, and you kind of focus on what you doing, you going to make it, i know why the very man was yarning because he don't really design website or make dynamic website, i know of a man who does website like beginers and he charged his client N300k, that is the lowest he charge.

Why Software you can develop a software that will take 8months or even more than, and at the end of the whole day you woun't get what the company really want the software to do for them,

Why Web Development, you can design a perfect website design in a day or (TWO)2, And a dynamic website that won't take you for a month or so and get paid N500k for "crying out loud" people out there charge 1 million for a website so what do you think guys?
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by skima(m): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2006
Both have a very good feature!

But in my own case i'd rather study web development to the maximum possible. Cos all those application they claim to be developing will still need to be available online,  so,  we will do that.

Those very complex softwares will still have web version. Think about image manipulation and text formating. This is just a tip,  the growth continues!

Everyone needs web .

Think about Mobile app!

1 Like

Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by Panache(m): 7:52pm On Jul 23, 2006
Software development and web development are kind of inter woven in today's Application development world. Most clients in today's world need an app that is web accessible. This is necessary to enable access by telecommuters (employees that work from home) and those in remote sites. For example in a system with infrstaructural limitations like Nigeria, web application development will be more lucrative than client app development.
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by clocky(m): 4:16pm On Jul 26, 2006
We will soon be interwoven in the web of the internet. Everthing in our lives would basically be accesible from the web. Future operating systems and so called desktop applications would reside on the intenet. The revolution has started with google.

True pioneers are people who do tomorrow things today. Web development is the future and i will advice u to stick to it .
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 10:27pm On Jul 26, 2006
hmm, i'd have to say software development in the end is more lucrative, and yes you are startign to have a "return to the desktop" paradigm these days, everyone wants the web to work like an application, no more fancy looks just outright efficient productivity & speed,

I know of two firms in lagos who developed software from HR to Asset Mgt/Stockbroking apps, they charge between 6-10 million and other extras in upgrades and support, WADOF has lots of clients so i expect they are in about 20m (on bad weather years) minimum per annum, now that is big money,

I love the web, but looking at the future a web that don't have the umph! of an app won't cut it anymore, so i do both, but i figure will land a very good commercial app in the next 12 months

I 'll stick with Appz,
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by praetor(f): 2:52pm On Jul 27, 2006
Ask the owner of this forum, Seun, how much he makes from this site and that should tell you that providing solutions for people's needs online is where the money is.

I bet no one is putting together a social networking site, like this one, and selling the concept to those big companies in Nigeria, building the site around their brand targeting young consumers e.g. if you developed a forum for guiness beer and asked Guiness Nigeria to sponsor it. Can you imagine the useful feedback and brand exposure that Guiness would get for that product, priceless.

If you are a really good developer, you can bid for projects online and get paid for US dollars. Just needs a bit of creativity and boldness

1 Like

Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by clocky(m): 4:20pm On Jul 27, 2006
uhmm i c
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by Bossman(m): 5:59pm On Jul 27, 2006
You can do both of  them. But, you need to learn software development (SD)very well.  A hard-core knowledge of  SD principles will go a long way in your career. With a good SD knowledge, you can easily do web development (WD). But, it's not the other way around. i.e. A person that only knows WD cannot just start to do SD. You can come across quite a few web developers that do not know much about programming.

The above is assuming that by WD we mean just web interface development. Such as HTML, JSP, etc.

I am a software developer (Mainly in Java). But, I am also involved in some web development. Because, I write web apps. I use HTML, JSP, JavaScript, etc. 

On this end, ordinary web developers are a dime a dozen. And, they make a whole lot less than software developers.

1 Like

Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by dipotepede(m): 9:16pm On Jul 28, 2006
For every technical skill to profit, you require one more skill which is sales.

No matter how good you are in any of the two, you cannot beat one who has a better sales skill.

Taking my humble self as ensample; I started the www.dipotepede.com with little skill in HTML coding but with my experience as a Voice Traffic Analyst where a lot of sales skill is needed, I grew the site to 25,000 hits in 8 weeks which generated me some cool dough.

No matter the skill be it web development or carpentry, if your sales skill is strong, you can make mega box.

It really does not matter which one it is, as long as you can sell snow to the eskimo.
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by oshkosh(m): 7:42am On Jul 29, 2006
The web is the future, however make sure you learn solid software programming skills, expecially OO paradigms. Transmuting this to the web is the easy bit as all you'll need to learn are the web concepts and scripting languages (which are often a subset of standard problems. For example, JSP is a java subset language, ASP for VB etc etc).

I for one started out as a developer and now a java architect. And all I did was apply the same java concepts with a 'web' construct and markup for web deployment.
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by praetor(f): 4:42pm On Jul 29, 2006
learn PhP or ASP.net and brush up on relational databases mySQL. PhP and mySQL, thrown in with XHTML and CSS, and you are away. PhP and mySQL are open source and therefore free; tutorials can be found anywhere on the internet. Develop sites that contain good content and people will flock to it, slap on some ads and you are away. Keep optimising the site and keep an eagle eye on your traffic figures.

As long as you have a logical mind and intelligence you can become a developer. You don't need to go on a course or pay money. A lot of developers are self taught, all it's takes is the will to succeed. There are so many opportunities nowadays for a lot of money to be made.

2 Likes

Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by smartsoft(m): 5:55pm On Jul 29, 2006
Preach it preacher i feel you mama
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by incomeboostng: 7:34am On Mar 17, 2017
Panache:
Software development and web development are kind of inter woven in today's Application development world. Most clients in today's world need an app that is web accessible. This is necessary to enable access by telecommuters (employees that work from home) and those in remote sites. For example in a system with infrstaructural limitations like Nigeria, web application development will be more lucrative than client app development.
yeah...
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by rioemmanuel(m): 8:10pm On Mar 17, 2017
This topic was created 11 years ago. Op please come update us.
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by Nobody: 9:51pm On Mar 17, 2017
It is a very controversial topic. A lot of factors are involved - as a freelancer software developer in Nigeria there is almost no market for you unless you create one, and you need to beg people but good companies can employ you if you get the leg.
If you are a good web developer however, there is market for you whether employment or freelancer-on-the-streets (like me).

I rest my case!

3 Likes

Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by Xenisha: 2:57pm On Dec 01, 2022
Hi! In the most general sense, React JS is a JavaScript library that was created and even maintained by one of the most famous social networks - Facebook. However, React.js has proven itself to be efficient and even flexible for a number of sources found in the JavaScript library for more details here https://www.gadgetgram.com/2021/08/19/the-best-reasons-to-use-react-js-in-your-project/ This also means that the React JS system will allow users to build scalable and fast web applications.
Re: Web Development Or Software Development: Which Is More Lucrative? by olamidedivotee(f): 6:04pm On Dec 28, 2022
H

(1) (Reply)

What Is Recommended To Have A Successful Career In Web Development / How Can I Download Udemy And Linda Courses? finally solved! / The Most Popular Programmer On Nairaland 2016 Edition (verification Round)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.