Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,439 members, 7,781,285 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:45 AM

I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian (1826 Views)

Check Out These Achievements And U Will Be Proud To Be Yoruba... / Why I’m Not Proud To Call Buhari My President — Aribisala / Will You Be Proud to fly Nigerian Colour Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 3:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
What does Nigeria represent?

Look
I am not proud of being a Nigerian
if you are, well, that's good for you
as for me, I choose to be pragmatic

But why do I say that am I not "proud to be a Nigerian"
well, it boils down to my interpretation of that phrase
For me, it means that I should take delight in the character of the coutry
or its aspirations

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 3:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
And Our national vision is...

Let's start with its aspirations
the over-arching aspiration of Nigeria is plain:
"that the country remains one no matter the cost to its individuals"
The pursuit of our eternal unity is why each state produces a minister,
and why we have a federal character charter devoid of the need of a meritocratic character.

Obasanjo, IBB and other political elites might like that
..it serves their purpose
...it doesnt serve mine

Now, don't get me wrong. I do not wish for a disintegration
but, I'd rather that our primary aspirations be for values that are globally enduring
I mean there is a difference between marrying a wife for love and companionship
rather than the primal need for a cook.

Choose the second, and you'd be extremely lucky to get the first
choose the first, and the other things will be added unto you.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
How we project Nigeria to the world

I'll move on to the Character of Nigeria
I'll avoid being intellectually gibberish here
I love my fellow Nigerians -whatever that means
I seek to bring out our best narratives in public spaces, especially foreign ones
but when I sit back to objectively appraise who we are,
or rather what the world says we are because of our extremely visible few I recoil
I'm not talking about the crooks -every country has them
I'm talking about our official representatives and their supporters

...I mean if a critical mass of our leaders are world reknown fraudsters
then that is our real character no matter how saintly you are.
I'll stop there to keep this short

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 3:13pm On Aug 15, 2014
I look forward to being proud of Nigeria

Now I ask you,
If your mum was a known prostitute
Would you sincerely say that you are proud to be her son
No matter how you much you love her??,
.. I bet you wont

You'd only be proud of something that fills others with a glorious awe
For example, when you go to a Nigerian airport with your green passport,
and are harrased by your own Nigerian officials
while the queue with holders of British and American passports are treated with deference
Are you proud to be a Nigerian at that moment?
.....I doubt you are

So I repeat,
...i'm not proud to be a Nigerian
but I'm extremely proud to be someone who wishes my country Nigeria well

....as much as a dad will wish well for his erring son so that he can someday be proud of him

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 3:16pm On Aug 15, 2014
Understood. Not too late to change citizenship grin

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by slimthugchimee(m): 3:19pm On Aug 15, 2014
somalia accepts everybody oh

4 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Joshuadon: 3:25pm On Aug 15, 2014
THEN MOVE TO NIGER

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by An0nimus: 3:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
frontpage? cc: mynd44, obinoscopy
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by jmoore(m): 3:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
You are free to go. Why are you posting this on a Nigerian forum? smh

3 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by ULSHERLAN(m): 3:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
Please deactivate your account ASAP. I didnt even bother reading your bullcrap...... Since you arent proud to be a Nigerian, i dont see reasons why you should see anything good in Nigeria

5 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by larride(m): 3:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
I am proud to be a Nigerian!!!

Of course Nigeria is faced with challenges from all corners but despite those challenges, we still remain strong, we remain unresolved and strive daily for a better and greater nation. Our challenges cannot be overemphazied but despite those struggles i can still wave my green white green flag up in the sky for everyone to see that i'm a proud NIGERIAN. Just like our athlete making us proud in Morroco, i can stand tall among others and say Yes, those are my country men and i'm proud of them. There is no country without their own internal problems and i won't trade being a Nigerian for any other nation. I refuse to give up on this great nation, i refuse to cover myself in shame because of some elite few who has soiled our name in the mud. Nigeria will rise again someday, whether that time is now, tomorrow or in 20yrs time, i don't know but i do know that wherever i go inspite of any discrimination that may occur, I'm still a Nigerian, A Proud Nigerian

Yes, I'm Black
Yes, I'm a Nigerian
Yes, I'm proud to be a Nigerian.

Nigeria: Great Nation, Great People!!!

10 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by jmoore(m): 3:36pm On Aug 15, 2014
larride: I am proud to be a Nigerian!!!

Of course Nigeria is faced with challenges from all corners but despite those challenges, we still remain strong, we remain unresolved and strive daily for a better and greater nation. Our challenges cannot be overemphazied but despite those struggles i can still wave my green white green flag up in the sky for everyone to see that i'm a proud NIGERIAN. Just like our athlete making us proud in Morroco, i can stand tall among others and say Yes, those are my country men and i'm proud of them. There is no country without their own internal problems and i won't trade being a Nigerian for any other nation. I refuse to give up on this great nation, i refuse to cover myself in shame because of some elite few who has soiled our name in the mud. Nigeria will rise again someday, whether that time is now, tomorrow in 20yrs time, i don't know but i do know that wherever i go inspite of any discrimination that may occur, I'm still a Nigerian, A Proud Nigerian

Yes, I'm Black
Yes, I'm a Nigerian

That's what I'm talking about. Nice one.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by stinggy(m): 3:45pm On Aug 15, 2014
larride:
Yes, I'm Black
Yes, I'm a Nigerian

Nigeria: Good People, Great Nation!!!
cool
Omo naija till mother earth caves in!

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Rich4god(m): 3:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
OP... The last time I check, you dont need much visa crossing into W/African country... Just relocate to one and claim citizen ship...

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 4:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
THE DINOSUAR STORY

FATHER: "My son, I'll tell you a story. Listen attentively"

"By whatever fluke of nature
a prehistoric dinosaur egg hatched in the thick forrests of Africa

The lurch unchartted greens of the wild provided a nuturing canopy for the Dinosaur to grow undisturbed by man
With the passing of time, now standing over 10 foot, the dinosaur became obvious to the human eye

seeking some adventure, it wondered away from the wild into a village

When the villagers saw him they were first seized with fear
what manner of monster was this?

The villagers soon overcame fear, and all they could see was a massive meat on two legs
they banded together with clubs, stones and sticks
determined to make a carving off this new delicacy that must have been sent by the Gods

There was one in the village that had some knowledge
He recognised at once that this was a rare happening.
This beast standing before them was more valuable than being mere meat
he pleaded with them to stop and sought to share this nugget of information with them
the villagers would have none of this
...this was meat on two legs provided by the Gods for their contentment.

And so they killed the dinosaur, roasted and ate it
and with this, they roasted an oppurtunity to be in the annals of great kingdoms."

SON: "father, what does this story mean?"

FATHER: "Son, look around you. The villagers are armed with their clubs"
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by nitrogen(m): 4:14pm On Aug 15, 2014
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Ishilove: 5:37pm On Aug 15, 2014
larride: I am proud to be a Nigerian!!!

Of course Nigeria is faced with challenges from all corners but despite those challenges, we still remain strong, we remain unresolved and strive daily for a better and greater nation. Our challenges cannot be overemphazied but despite those struggles i can still wave my green white green flag up in the sky for everyone to see that i'm a proud NIGERIAN. Just like our athlete making us proud in Morroco, i can stand tall among others and say Yes, those are my country men and i'm proud of them. There is no country without their own internal problems and i won't trade being a Nigerian for any other nation. I refuse to give up on this great nation, i refuse to cover myself in shame because of some elite few who has soiled our name in the mud. Nigeria will rise again someday, whether that time is now, tomorrow or in 20yrs time, i don't know but i do know that wherever i go inspite of any discrimination that may occur, I'm still a Nigerian, A Proud Nigerian

Yes, I'm Black
Yes, I'm a Nigerian

Stirring words, but how have we as Nigerians contributed to making Nigeria great? Us Nigerians are the country's biggest problems. When the policeman or the civil servant demands for a bribe before he can perform his duties, have we stood our and declared and emphatic HELL NO?? When our leaders steal billions (they don't steal millions again. That's old school), have we taken to the streets to demand accountability? Don't we shake our heads and curse them, then carry on with our lives? When our roads remain in deplorable states despite the billions of invisible naira disbursed for road building and maintenance, have we gone to the state government office to picket the place??

I know I haven't.

What do we do? We draw memes and funny cartoons. We fold our hands, cross our legs, shake our heads and mumble "e go better. One day go be one day", yet nobody does a damn thing to see that 'one day' materialise. We just watch while things get shot to shiit around us and our leaders torture and disgrace us before the whole world.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Ishilove: 5:41pm On Aug 15, 2014
esere826: THE DINOSUAR STORY

FATHER: "My son, I'll tell you a story. Listen attentively"

"By whatever fluke of nature
a prehistoric dinosaur egg hatched in the thick forrests of Africa

The lurch unchartted greens of the wild provided a nuturing canopy for the Dinosaur to grow undisturbed by man
With the passing of time, now standing over 10 foot, the dinosaur became obvious to the human eye

seeking some adventure, it wondered away from the wild into a village

When the villagers saw him they were first seized with fear
what manner of monster was this?

The villagers soon overcame fear, and all they could see was a massive meat on two legs
they banded together with clubs, stones and sticks
determined to make a carving off this new delicacy that must have been sent by the Gods

There was one in the village that had some knowledge
He recognised at once that this was a rare happening.
This beast standing before them was more valuable than being mere meat
he pleaded with them to stop and sought to share this nugget of information with them
the villagers would have none of this
...this was meat on two legs provided by the Gods for their contentment.

And so they killed the dinosaur, roasted and ate it
and with this, they roasted an oppurtunity to be in the annals of great kingdoms."

SON: "father, what does this story mean?"

FATHER: "Son, look around you. The villagers are armed with their clubs"
Esere darling, believe me when I say this little metaphor will be completely lost on majority of Nairalanders grin
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by EdCure: 5:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
When will Nairalanders stop reactions based on just topics?
The vilagers sure came with their clubs and not their might... grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
I can never be proud of a nation where
a child that scored 69% is denied admission while the one that scored 1% is offered the same admission.
such a nation is not worthy of existence.

such a nation sounds like nations in folk tales when tortoise was the king!

I am sorry folks, i have given up on Nigeria since and the Jihardists up not are not helping matters!
have they ever felt matters before?

Excuse me, how can I be proud of a nation whose founding father was a foreign slave trader whose idea of the nation he found was an enclave of a conquered race less than normal man?

No I am not Nigerian, I am Biafran!

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 6:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
That he is not proud of this country doesn't mean he doesn't love this country or that he wishes to change citizenship. If you had a bad child, would you be proud of him?

I think those who shout their unrelenting love for this country in spite of the mess she is in are the real enemies we need to do away with if we ever hope to make this country great again.

I love my country and I hope to be her president one day but the fact remains that there is not much to be proud of yet.

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by larride(m): 6:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ishilove:
Stirring words, but how have we as Nigerians contributed to making Nigeria great? Us Nigerians are the country's biggest problems. When the policeman or the civil servant demands for a bribe before he can perform his duties, have we stood our and declared and emphatic HELL NO?? When our leaders steal billions (they don't steal millions again. That's old school), have we taken to the streets to demand accountability? Don't we shake our heads and curse them, then carry on with our lives? When our roads remain in deplorable states despite the billions of invisible naira disbursed for road building and maintenance, have we gone to the state government office to picket the place??
I know I haven't.
What do we do? We draw memes and funny cartoons. We fold our hands, cross our legs, shake our heads and mumble "e go better. One day go be one day", yet nobody does a damn thing to see that 'one day' materialise. We just watch while things get shot to shiit around us and our leaders torture and disgrace us before the whole world.

Definitely Ishi, I'm not for sitting down and doing nothing, if you go through some of my post on here you would say that i'm among those who clamour for accountability and transprancy from our government, i don't just grumble and move on, I try to make my voice heard. Nigeria belongs to all of us and the responsibility to make it great rest on all our shoulders. The government has its part to play and we do have our own part to play as well. I just happen to be someone who believe in Nigeria so much that sometimes people term me as being crazy.

Check my other post here

https://www.nairaland.com/1856746/apc-not-making-efforts-integrate/3#25480123
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by lilprinze: 6:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
i am proud to b a NIGERIAN no country like NIGERIA we might b going through sum challenges nw bt am sure we would overcome all our challengez and dy would become history one day. no gr8t country becomes gr8t without going through challenges.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 6:24pm On Aug 15, 2014
Ishilove:
Esere darling, believe me when I say this little metaphor will be completely lost on majority of Nairalanders grin

lol
i'll be surprised if it is
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by An0nimus: 6:26pm On Aug 15, 2014
hifaif: That he is not proud of this country doesn't mean he doesn't love this country or that he wishes to change citizenship. If you had a bad child, would you be proud of him?

I think those who shout their unrelenting love for this country in spite of the mess she is in are the real enemies we need to do away with if we ever hope to make this country great again.

I love my country and I hope to be her president one day but the fact remains that there is not much to be proud of yet.

Clearly (and quite sadly) about 70% of the previous commentators didn't get that point.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by esere826: 6:27pm On Aug 15, 2014
hifaif: That he is not proud of this country doesn't mean he doesn't love this country or that he wishes to change citizenship. If you had a bad child, would you be proud of him?

Now that ^^ is wisdom
Wisdom cries out in the market place
hear her and buy of her wares

2 Likes

Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by MrT2011(m): 7:22pm On Aug 15, 2014
Those who are shouting "I Love Nigeria # are the sons, daughters and beneficiaries of those thief-thief government. grin cheesy grin

For me, I Love Biafra!
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
esere826:
And Our national vision is...

Let's start with its aspirations
the over-arching aspiration of Nigeria is plain:
"that the country remains one no matter the cost to its individuals"
The pursuit of our eternal unity is why each state produces a minister,
and why we have a federal character charter devoid of the need of a meritocratic character.

Obasanjo, IBB and other political elites might like that
..it serves their purpose
...it doesnt serve mine

Now, don't get me wrong. I do not wish for a disintegration
but, I'd rather that our primary aspirations be for values that are globally enduring
I mean there is a difference between marrying a wife for love and companionship
rather than the primal need for a cook.

Choose the second, and you'd be extremely lucky to get the first
choose the first, and the other things will be added unto you.

this exactly why some of us gave up on Nigeria!
the fact is that we are never going to get to that stage where " our primary aspirations be for values that are globally enduring ".

Religion has kept North so backward that they cant aspire for the greatness of the country.
The region thinks more of Arabic and Sharia studies than other fields in Science and Arts.

The next other thing they think of is how to conquer the rest of us and rule over us with their mentality.

"Boko Haram" did not start today!

I served in Kaduna and one of my friends thought in a secondary school.
When eh enters class, the students would jump through the window muttering "dogo trenchi" (Long grammar)
but if the it is Arabi studies, classes would fill up.

the North is not ready to move forward! Islam is more important to them than Nation building.

That is why their governors where competing on who will implement the real sharia instead competition on who will develop the most human capital! We send corps members to them and they will kill them! How many corps members have been killed in the South?

if you guys think this will change, then you are on a long thing!

The worst part of it is that when some of us raise this issue, instead of the die hard Nigerians to tell us the way forward, they simply shout "one Nigeria" till eternity and call us names.

I am not a pessimist, I am positive thinker but also pragmatic!

I believe that a sick horse might recover, but I wont waste my time on dead horse!
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by stinggy(m): 7:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
noblezone:
No I am not Nigerian, I am Biafran!
Good riddance undecided undecided
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Nobody: 8:26am On Aug 16, 2014
stinggy:
Good riddance undecided undecided

Of course bro. Good radiance.
Nigeria does not make sense!

A product of criminality of slave traders who invaded Africa from Europe. They took away our rights, lands and heritage!

Nigeria is a curse from the brutish British to our heritage.

Luggars was criminal and a nation founded by criminals cannot stand!
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by stinggy(m): 8:35am On Aug 16, 2014
noblezone:

Of course bro. Good radiance.
Nigeria does not make sense!

A product of criminality of slave traders who invaded Africa from Europe. They took away our rights, lands and heritage!

Nigeria is a curse from the brutish British to our heritage.

Luggars was criminal and a nation founded by criminals cannot stand!

Nigeria is here to stay and together, we'll grow.
Believe me bro cool
Re: I Am Not Proud To Be A Nigerian by Tobbie9(m): 8:42am On Aug 16, 2014
Noblezone you forever have my respect

(1) (2) (Reply)

Omisore’s Orderly Dies Of Stray Bullets / Shakau:another Fat Lie From The French Puppet / Discovering Nigeria's Educational Excellence Of Achebe's There Was A Country

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.