Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,317 members, 7,808,068 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 AM

10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case (24513 Views)

Article: The Frustration Of Life - Lordoftheweed / 10 Sexist Scenarios That Women Face At Work / Nigeria Immigration Service Application Forms On Sale For The 2012/13 Intake (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by davidif: 12:02am On Aug 16, 2014
Sehindemi: On a very serious note,@all single working class guys,wat'z y'all still doing unmarried?? Una truly get mission!!! cheesy cheesy

My goodness!! the way Nigerians think, its sooooooooo frustrating and irritating at times. Must everybody conform to your standards and expectations? So what if he doesn't intend to marry, is that anybody's business? Na wa o. What a lack of professionalism in that posters work place. Absolutely awful.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by davidif: 12:05am On Aug 16, 2014
This should be moved to the frontpage.
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 12:25am On Aug 16, 2014
davidif:

What?? why do a lot of Nigerians think like this?? na wa o.
...if u cant understnd wat i posted... D op understnds it n i think am fulfilled...
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 12:30am On Aug 16, 2014
WILLIAMS99: [s]Greetings,
Are you a young man or women seeking or interested in sugar mummy,daddy,gay and lesbian.Are you good in bed ?Do you really need a rich sexy sugar mummy or sugar daddy that can change your life completely with money and influence, so get the opportunity to meet sugar mummies from all works of life,politician,bankers,oil ladies,executives,directors,gold ladies,cash money ladies,Global Network group friends,doctors,dubai ladies,london based ladies,ladies willing to pay as much as 90-150k
per night,and get the best exclusive VIP arrangement anywhere in nigeria,LAGOS,ABUJA,CALABAR,DELTA,ANAMBRA,PORTHARCOURT,,RIVERS,KOGI,KADUNA,JOS,ABIA IBADAN,ONDO,BENIN, ETC we have some rich sugar mummies who are urgently in need of sugar boys and some rich daddies who are looking for young girls to spend their money on, Here is the opportunity you have been looking for,all you have to do is Get back to us via our email : sugarmummyinstanthookup@gmail.com or reach us via our mobile line Agent williams 07054226994
We await your response.[/s]
mods kindly ban this fellow till when Naija hosts another Worldcup!!!

5 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Tymax(m): 12:39am On Aug 16, 2014
J12: Its very annoying I swear. Any little complain you make always ends with an advice for you to "settle down". I go soon punch person for face angry angry

Lol. Bro I sense anger....hmmmm u need to settle down. grin grin cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Rooneyboy(m): 3:27am On Aug 16, 2014
Sehindemi: On a very serious note,@all single working class guys,wat'z y'all still doing unmarried?? Una truly get mission!!! cheesy cheesy
women are everywhere but wives aren't, u are not a man so I don't expect u to understand.

7 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 4:19am On Aug 16, 2014
Rooneyboy: women are everywhere but wives aren't, u are not a man so I don't expect u to understand.
Hmmm.......deep thoughts...
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by cc150615(f): 4:21am On Aug 16, 2014
op should just get married already!
But on a more serious note u should let them know firmly that being single doesn't mean you don't have worries or dependants so ur rights shouldn't be denied specially stuffs like leaves nd you having to relocate. I believe if u place yourself well they'll take u for that, but don't forget to invite us to the wedding, nl peeps like owanbe!

2 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 8:48am On Aug 18, 2014
Rooneyboy: women are everywhere but wives aren't, u are not a man so I don't expect u to understand.
I see....
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 9:00am On Aug 18, 2014
grayht: mods kindly ban this fellow till when Naija hosts another Worldcup!!!
cheesy
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 9:26am On Aug 18, 2014
davidif:

My goodness!! the way Nigerians think, its sooooooooo frustrating and irritating at times. Must everybody conform to your standards and expectations? So what if he doesn't intend to marry, is that anybody's business? Na wa o. What a lack of professionalism in that posters work place. Absolutely awful.
D last time I checked,I can't remember referin to U in my quote...Who sayz U must get married & Wat does Nigerians' mentality has to do with wat am sayin here?? Was I quotin on behalf of Nigeria?
Plz & plz,mind Ur own biz wax and stay off my track... embarassed
#Teamdavidf.oversabi undecided
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 4:59pm On Aug 18, 2014
Sehindemi:
I see....
Nice pix smiley. I liked it first smiley. Are you married? wink
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 8:37am On Aug 25, 2014
gudrated:
Nice pix smiley. I liked it first smiley. Are you married? wink
awww....Not yet cheesy
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by joyce01(f): 9:36am On Aug 25, 2014
Hmm..@Gudrated, I foresee you "settling down" with Sehindemi. Lol
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 10:15am On Aug 25, 2014
joyce01: Hmm..@Gudrated, I foresee you "settling down" with Sehindemi. Lol
shocked Actually,It'z true coz I saw mine in a vision...buh it was Joyce & I,getting married to him at desame time cheesy cheesy
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 11:24am On Aug 26, 2014
joyce01: Hmm..@Gudrated, I foresee you "settling down" with Sehindemi. Lol
cheesy cheesy Can I say amen to that?
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 11:28am On Aug 26, 2014
Sehindemi:
awww....Not yet cheesy
Hmmm. That's good news for me. wink You just disappeared for days. I was waiting for your response for a long, long time
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Sehindemi(f): 11:56am On Aug 26, 2014
gudrated:
Hmmm. That's good news for me. wink You just disappeared for days. I was waiting for your response for a long, long time
Oh owk..
Hope U'r gud
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by sucess001(m): 1:56pm On Jul 06, 2015
@ OP...

That you are married doesn't exclude you from being an errand boy o...we have one in my office....yet me that am not married i dont do all that...and both of us are more or less age mates...its your skill, carriage and charisma that determines that....

cant deny the other things in your list though.

1 Like

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Laredojohn(m): 1:57pm On Jul 06, 2015
Sehindemi:
On a very serious note,@all single working class guys,wat'z y'all still doing unmarried?? Una truly get mission!!! cheesy cheesy
lolz....what about single gals working?? what you gals waiting for too??

1 Like

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Omotayor123(f): 1:57pm On Jul 06, 2015
When you are punctual, they will say it's because you are not married yet..
Imagineundecided

2 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by martineverest(m): 2:02pm On Jul 06, 2015
hope u arent pressurized to get married?
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nosyke(m): 2:03pm On Jul 06, 2015
@Op, so true...somehow I am exactly in your shoes.

I perfectly understand.

But the good thing is that no pressure from family yet wink
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 2:04pm On Jul 06, 2015
gudrated:
I work in a multinational company in Nigeria. Pay is very good. Life is wonderful, but unfortunately I find myself in a division in which I am the only single (unmarried) person out of over 100 people working in the unit. I face daily harassment and discrimination just because I am single. For goodness sake, it isn’t a sin to remain single after 2 years of working there. angry Gosh! Some of the issues I face are as follows:

1.Everyone expects you to work harder than others – My boss gives me more work than others. He keeps hammering on my head that he expects me to work harder than others simply because I have no wife or kids to worry about- Same annoying stuff everyone around me keeps telling me! angry I am expected to close later than everyone else simply because I don’t have a family! I am expected to bear more work burden because they think I don’t have other issues in life to worry about. Even when you work so hard, it is never enough because you are assumed to have abundant energy for the singular reason that you are yet not wedded! Isn’t that funny, or rather simplistic, or just plain annoying? undecided

2.You are treated with lesser respect sad– In a gathering of colleagues, your opinion is not as highly regarded as others. No one really cares much about your opinions (especially non work related issues). Some pretend that they do, but in their actions, you can really tell that they don’t. Many think you aren’t responsible. Some think that all you do is to pursue interns or girls all round.

3.In an argument or debate, you hear “it’s because you are not yet married, you won’t understand’ angry – This is the most disgusting. When an ordinarily intellectual argument gets to a point when your fellow colleague seems to be losing out, he/she resorts to the cheap punch line “It’s because you aren’t yet married, you simply can’t understand” or “you are still young”. And I simply wonder – what does this discourse have to do with whether I am married or not? It’s just another smear remark on your singlehood.

4.You are an easy pick for relocation/ field work cry– When issues of relocation or extended field work crops up, you are easily handpicked for that. Reason: You have no family to relocate with. In other words, ‘na only you waka come’. My unit is considering relocating me from Lagos to one of the semi-developed state in Nigeria. I will resist as much as possible. But I know it’s almost a lost battle. No one cares about my reasons for not wanting to move. All because I am single. I was almost considering marrying urgently to block the relocation but it’s not advisable. I am assigned almost every time for field work on behalf of my unit. My other colleagues are easily exempted because of their marital status. Why me always?

5. Everybody reminds you every day of your singleness angry – Another frustrating issue I have learnt to live with every working day until I finally get married. Everyone reminds you that you are getting older. People ask you when you will finally present your wedding IV. People remind you that you have been working for the organization for quite some time. Colleagues (both senior and junior) ask you what you have been doing with your money. It’s just so vexing. Must I be told every single day at work? I already know for goodness sake.

6. You avoid celebrating your birthdays in office because people will admonish you to get married – Celebrating your birthday, which ordinarily is a thing of joy, becomes a plague (in office) which you have to avoid at all cost. Why? It’s another opportunity for colleagues and other ‘well-wishers’ to preach to you on the need for you to marry. It presents another opportunity for your bosses and colleagues to remind you that your clock is ticking. The bulk of the prayer you receive is “By God’s grace, you will be married by this time of the year”. And everyone shouts a big AMEN! This piles a lot of indirect pressure on you to meet the ‘target’ set to you by others.

7. People call you ‘boy’ undecided - How dare you call me boy? But colleagues do all the time. Many times it is unintentional, but this is because they still see me as a ‘boy’ in their mindset simply because I don’t have the wedding ring on my finger yet! I live on my own, cater for myself, support my parents and some relatives financially and live a comfortable life. Am I still a boy? Damn NO. It’s shocking that even my boss calls me boy when he is scolding me, but never does the same to others. For goodness sake, that’s a form of harassment. angry

8. You hardly receive compassionate leave cry – No one wants to consider you for compassionate leave, even after spending your holidays and weekends working. I recount the number of times my married colleagues have enjoyed compassionate leave. But my boss will not hear my plea after working myself out for him. It’s even a sort of battle to go for my company approved leave as he will insist that the leave is of little significance to me since I am yet to marry.

9. You become the errand boy angry- This infuriates me too, especially when there are no interns around. You do the running around for your bosses. You are sent to the bank, to shops, to pick stuffs, to run some personal errands for your unit. You are expected to do some dirty or menial jobs simply because you are a single man. I have almost become my manager’s personal assistant despite the fact that I am employed a core professional.

10. You are the odd one out – No one will understand how it feels to be the odd one out of over 100 people. That feeling of knowing that you are just different from everyone else only because you are unmarried. You tend to avoid departmental get togethers because everyone else brings their spouses except you. When you aren’t discussing work or sports with colleagues, then it’s most likely that the discussion will be on family issues. People keep throwing it at your face one way or the other. They talk about family friends, timeout with kids, house helps, vacation with hobbies, etc. but you remain silent, hardly able to contribute. It feels awkward to be odd.

These are some of the frustrations we single men face at work daily. Your experience may be slightly different from mine, but we demand equal and fair treatment. The good news is that we won’t remain single for a long time. tongue tongue smiley wink

GUY GET MARRIED, WHY DYU MAKE URSELF A SITTING DUCK.
IF YOU HAVE ENUF TO TAKE CARE OF YOUR EXTENDED FAMILY GET MARRIED AND GET THE RESPECT U DESERVE. STOP NAGGING ABOUT YOUR FRUSTRATION OF BEING SINGLE.
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by boyebussy: 2:04pm On Jul 06, 2015
Na wa o
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by comos: 2:05pm On Jul 06, 2015
gudrated:
I work in a multinational company in Nigeria. Pay is very good. Life is wonderful, but unfortunately I find myself in a division in which I am the only single (unmarried) person out of over 100 people working in the unit. I face daily harassment and discrimination just because I am single. For goodness sake, it isn’t a sin to remain single after 2 years of working there. angry Gosh! Some of the issues I face are as follows:

1.Everyone expects you to work harder than others – My boss gives me more work than others. He keeps hammering on my head that he expects me to work harder than others simply because I have no wife or kids to worry about- Same annoying stuff everyone around me keeps telling me! angry I am expected to close later than everyone else simply because I don’t have a family! I am expected to bear more work burden because they think I don’t have other issues in life to worry about. Even when you work so hard, it is never enough because you are assumed to have abundant energy for the singular reason that you are yet not wedded! Isn’t that funny, or rather simplistic, or just plain annoying? undecided

2.You are treated with lesser respect sad– In a gathering of colleagues, your opinion is not as highly regarded as others. No one really cares much about your opinions (especially non work related issues). Some pretend that they do, but in their actions, you can really tell that they don’t. Many think you aren’t responsible. Some think that all you do is to pursue interns or girls all round.

3.In an argument or debate, you hear “it’s because you are not yet married, you won’t understand’ angry – This is the most disgusting. When an ordinarily intellectual argument gets to a point when your fellow colleague seems to be losing out, he/she resorts to the cheap punch line “It’s because you aren’t yet married, you simply can’t understand” or “you are still young”. And I simply wonder – what does this discourse have to do with whether I am married or not? It’s just another smear remark on your singlehood.

4.You are an easy pick for relocation/ field work cry– When issues of relocation or extended field work crops up, you are easily handpicked for that. Reason: You have no family to relocate with. In other words, ‘na only you waka come’. My unit is considering relocating me from Lagos to one of the semi-developed state in Nigeria. I will resist as much as possible. But I know it’s almost a lost battle. No one cares about my reasons for not wanting to move. All because I am single. I was almost considering marrying urgently to block the relocation but it’s not advisable. I am assigned almost every time for field work on behalf of my unit. My other colleagues are easily exempted because of their marital status. Why me always?

5. Everybody reminds you every day of your singleness angry – Another frustrating issue I have learnt to live with every working day until I finally get married. Everyone reminds you that you are getting older. People ask you when you will finally present your wedding IV. People remind you that you have been working for the organization for quite some time. Colleagues (both senior and junior) ask you what you have been doing with your money. It’s just so vexing. Must I be told every single day at work? I already know for goodness sake.

6. You avoid celebrating your birthdays in office because people will admonish you to get married – Celebrating your birthday, which ordinarily is a thing of joy, becomes a plague (in office) which you have to avoid at all cost. Why? It’s another opportunity for colleagues and other ‘well-wishers’ to preach to you on the need for you to marry. It presents another opportunity for your bosses and colleagues to remind you that your clock is ticking. The bulk of the prayer you receive is “By God’s grace, you will be married by this time of the year”. And everyone shouts a big AMEN! This piles a lot of indirect pressure on you to meet the ‘target’ set to you by others.

7. People call you ‘boy’ undecided - How dare you call me boy? But colleagues do all the time. Many times it is unintentional, but this is because they still see me as a ‘boy’ in their mindset simply because I don’t have the wedding ring on my finger yet! I live on my own, cater for myself, support my parents and some relatives financially and live a comfortable life. Am I still a boy? Damn NO. It’s shocking that even my boss calls me boy when he is scolding me, but never does the same to others. For goodness sake, that’s a form of harassment. angry

8. You hardly receive compassionate leave cry – No one wants to consider you for compassionate leave, even after spending your holidays and weekends working. I recount the number of times my married colleagues have enjoyed compassionate leave. But my boss will not hear my plea after working myself out for him. It’s even a sort of battle to go for my company approved leave as he will insist that the leave is of little significance to me since I am yet to marry.

9. You become the errand boy angry- This infuriates me too, especially when there are no interns around. You do the running around for your bosses. You are sent to the bank, to shops, to pick stuffs, to run some personal errands for your unit. You are expected to do some dirty or menial jobs simply because you are a single man. I have almost become my manager’s personal assistant despite the fact that I am employed a core professional.

10. You are the odd one out – No one will understand how it feels to be the odd one out of over 100 people. That feeling of knowing that you are just different from everyone else only because you are unmarried. You tend to avoid departmental get togethers because everyone else brings their spouses except you. When you aren’t discussing work or sports with colleagues, then it’s most likely that the discussion will be on family issues. People keep throwing it at your face one way or the other. They talk about family friends, timeout with kids, house helps, vacation with hobbies, etc. but you remain silent, hardly able to contribute. It feels awkward to be odd.

These are some of the frustrations we single men face at work daily. Your experience may be slightly different from mine, but we demand equal and fair treatment. The good news is that we won’t remain single for a long time. tongue tongue smiley wink

Stand your ground man!
these are the exact reason that push me to marry when actually I wasn't ready
Today I know the hell I am passing through all in the name of marriage,
but non of those people are there to be found, instead it is blame and accusation from them.
I will advice you to find true love and choose your right time to marry.
It is your life not theirs.

8 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Nobody: 2:09pm On Jul 06, 2015
OP

DEPEND ON THE TYPE OF WORK OHH

SINCE I BE FIELD WORKER, WHO GET TIME FOR WHO undecided

ME NO DEY MAKE FRIENDS LIKE THAT, NA THEM DEY EVEN COME FIND MY TROUBLE COMOT, AND THEM CLASSIFIER ME AS BLACK SHIP COS OF MY INTROVERTIVE NATURE.

EVEN THE MARRIED WOMEN AND MEN DEY MEET ME FOR ADVICE..

THE BASIC NA JUST HOW YOU INTERACT WITH PEOPLE
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Agbgift(f): 2:10pm On Jul 06, 2015
It is well sad
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Hawlahscho(m): 2:11pm On Jul 06, 2015
Ivanspring:
Op you know what to do to stop these 'frustrations'. Why not just do it? sad

so will you marry him
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by kevoh(m): 2:12pm On Jul 06, 2015
OP, no mind them. Married people are some times FINANCIALLY frustrated and are always looking out for singles, who earn as much as them or even more to drag into that same frustrated hole/cage with them by chanting the marriage mantra to them.

2 Likes

Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Adultnextdoor(m): 2:12pm On Jul 06, 2015
Nawa o!!....Nairaland!...una try!!.....Since August 2014.....see when this thread just dey enter frontpage!!...e go soon complete one year!!....It is obvious that nairaland are getting short of stories to put in frontpage.....too bad for the kind of mods and supermods we have!!
Re: 10 Forms Of Frustration Single Men Face At Work – My Case by Hawlahscho(m): 2:14pm On Jul 06, 2015
So, I've to start saving money for marriage now nawa o sad

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

1,000 South African Gold Miners Stuck Underground / Nigerian Air Force Recruitment 2019 For Trade And Non-Trades Men/Women / Which Hand-work Should I Learn?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.