Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,880 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:33 PM

UCH Recruitment Malfeasance - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / UCH Recruitment Malfeasance (1029 Views)

Uch Ibadan Recruitment Examinations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

UCH Recruitment Malfeasance by Olookoba: 5:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
After the recruitment scandal by the Immigration, one would think that other federal government parastatals would have learnt not to organise kangaroo recruitment exercises thereby putting the lives of innocent Nigerians at risk. In 2012, University College Hospital, Ibadan placed an advert in The Punch announcing vacancies for about 35 positions. It was not until I got to UCH that I discovered that I would have to pay the sum of N1,000 to obtain the application form. I did this, followed the stipulated process and and submitted the required documents including my O'Level result. I was applying for the position of Information Officer II. The sole requirement for this post was a Bachelor's Degree in English (which I have), Mass Communication or Social Sciences. I never heard anything until about few days ago.

On Tuesday, 12/08/2014, I received a text message from UCH inviting me for a test scheduled for Thursday, 14/08/2014. The text included an instruction for candidates to bring along their original credentials, 3 passport photos and the receipt of the application form purchase. I did all I could to sit for the test and I had all the requirements with me. I got to the venue about 25 minutes before 9am when the supposed exam was scheduled to start. No official of UCH attended to us until almost 3 hours later, at about 11. 35am, when we were told to gather in front of the exam hall and we would enter the hall as each person's name is called. The number of candidates who showed up for the test were less than 300, out of the thousands who paid and applied for the jobs. It was at this point that they examiners made the announcement that there are other requirements for the positions. The one for Information Officer was that candidates must have 5 credits at a sitting or 6 credits at two sittings including Mathematics and English. Out of almost 100 candidates who applied for the post of Information Officer, only about 30-35 ended up sitting for the exam. Even when we complained to the coordinator, she snubbed us and said, 'Okay, noted.' Other invigilators simply laughed at us and said the same thing.

Many of us decided not to just walk away. We went to see the Director of Administration and the Chief Medical Director to register our displeasure. None of these principal officers was around and the only officials who attended to was the Personal Assistant to the CMD, who introduced himself as Mr. Taiwo, and the Head of the Security Department of UCH, a man popularly addressed as Captain. After keeping us waiting for several minutes, the 'Captain' came back to address us and said that it was the policy of the Federal Government. He even bragged that his alma mater, University of Ibadan, requires credits in both Maths and English for admission into any course. Many of us countered this, letting him know that we have obtained degrees in the Humanities from UI without a credit in Maths at the O'level. Eventually, everyone dispersed with the painful knowledge that we have used as puppets for a 'recruitment show' that was staged with the motive of securing employments for their choice candidates.

My anger is not at them for stating 'phony policy' they claimed was made by the Federal Government. But why would they make people waste their time and money as well as risk their lives just to be played on? They already knew what they were going to do. Why didn't they just invite their own people? I met two people there who claimed that they had come from Nassarawa and Benue respectively. Some of the candidates probably borrowed the money used in transporting themselves to the venue only for their hopes to be dashed. I arrived at Ibadan at about 10pm on Wednesday, 13th of August, just to be at the exam venue early the next day.
I submitted my O'level result along with other credentials. I was disqualified from sitting for the exam because I don't have a credit in Maths. If the claim was that the requirement was based on a Federal Government policy, on what criteria was I shortlisted?

I owe the world a duty to report this malfeasance. It's high time we disallowed a wicked act like this to go unnoticed.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How Do I Tell My Boss That I Want To Quit? / What Tinder Did For Dating, Tableau Wants To Do For Spreadsheets (BI) / Save My Unemployed Life

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.