Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,071 members, 7,807,207 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. (4158 Views)

'...know Thyself, For Ye Are Gods! / You Are Egiptians, You Are Gods / "ye Are Gods". . . Gods Of Money Too? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 5:05pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lol.
I have been trying to come out with the most appropriate title for this thread in view of the many many ideas that is inspiring this thread.

This thread is actually about the much bandied about concept of " Freewill", or should I say, the delusions of Freewill and Free Volition.

The Preamble:

Freewill, like so many words and concepts in the religious nomenclature, is just another imaginary concept used to plug the leaking holes, the many contradictions of the imaginary omni omni god. Freewill is just like the devil, and in many cases, seem to work hand in hand with the devil when it comes to taking the fall for an omni omni god gone AWOL. grin

Let me first of all state that we do have a will and a volition, ...but, and it's a big but..., They Are Not Free.
This is going to be the thrust of my argument.

The evidence to support this argument is soooooo wink much and cuts across all areas of knowledge and life, that I am going to present them in bits and pieces as we move along the thread.

Like all things in life, I am going to start from the tiniest , the simplest, and then work our way to the more complex.

Everyone is welcome to contribute.
But please if you are going to quote the bible or any religious scripture, please do so with proper context , otherwise, I would counter with a quote from my Marvel Comic book collection or from my book of children's Fables.

2 Likes

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by deflover(m): 5:42pm On Aug 15, 2014
ok ftc..........spreads mats.....bring it on....if it hits front page i will add my thank you to my daddy and mummy and all my well wishers and my friend that bought me 10mb today grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 6:02pm On Aug 15, 2014
YE Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. Lol, grin

To begin , it is my pleasure to take you to the science of microbiology and the incredible and fascinating universe of microbes, aka GERMS.

Many or all of you are walking about gallantly calling yourself Mr. A or Mrs. B, Muskeeto, Deepsight, MNwankwo, Anony, etc., branding yourself as intelligent self-conscious humans, god's perfect work. Deepsight and many others even see humans as beings with a divine provenance.

Well, I have some bad news for you all.
You are neither of the above.
You are just a 185kg plus or minus clump of bacteria colony, deluding yourself that you are human , special and divine.
grin cheesy

There are about 100 trillion microbes in the average human body.
Microbes outnumber our body cells by about 10 to 1.
The Microbial DNA in our body outnumber our human DNA by about a factor of 100. In other words, we have a second genome very active within our body.
The implications of these facts are very far-reaching.
One, it means that we are more than 90% microbes and less than 10% human.
We are all walking bacteria colonies. cheesy

Babies are born bacteria sterile, but are innoculated by their mother's microbial flora at the moment of birth. So, when the bible says that we are all born in SIN, maybe the authors were referring to the bacterial flora that takes over the body immediately after birth. Abi? wink cheesy

Our body is an entire ecosystem of diverse species and cultures of microbes. The most prominent and influential of these bacteria cultures are the ones that reside in our guts, our stomach linings.

Many diseases have their origins in the gut flora, and more and more are being discovered to be associated with the disturbances of the gut flora.

Hold on to your hat, here comes the kicker. wink

Studies of bacteria and other microbes show convincingly that microbes have social structures and social behavior.
Yes!
In their relatively miniscule lifespan, they exhibit behaviors that we are all familiar with.
They have Rural areas, urban areas, and metropolis. They have haves and have-nots, they have wars of aggression, wars of self-defence and also peace times. In short, they have similar social structures and constructs with all the contradictions and conflicts that we humans have.
Isn't that very interesting and scary ?

Now to the scary stuff.

The gut flora influences brain development and behavior, social behavior for that matter . They influence our body chemistry to satisfy their whims.
The domain of influence of these microbes on our lives include brain development, learning, unlearning, likes and dislikes, sexual preferences, risk tolerance, addictive and compulsive behaviors, our cultures, and of course, subsequently the rise and fall of civilizations.
Yup.

So now, I ask you: Who is really in charge? Who is the grand puppet master of your life? You or the 100 Trillions gods in your body?

You are not an independent free thinker. No sir/madame.
The behavioral edits of your microbial overlords are mainly responsible for the attitudes and events that shape your life and human civilization.
Not any Big Papa in the sky.Nope.

We are all simply mouthpieces, spokespersons, PR managers for the noisy and often discordant parliaments of our microbial gods.

grin cheesy cool

3 Likes

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 6:10pm On Aug 15, 2014
^^^
Hint: Now we can see why prayers directed towards the sky are never answered.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Nobody: 6:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
U have not told us how the microbes affect us. U only stated it. "He who asserts must prove".
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 6:31pm On Aug 15, 2014
olire: U have not told us how the microbes affect us. U only stated it. "He who asserts must prove".

This is not an opinion sir, these are concluded scientific facts. There are tons of written material on this subject.

Anything that affects your brain development and social behavior, invariably affect or even directs your life.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Joshthefirst(m): 6:40pm On Aug 15, 2014
Lol.

Source of the studies please
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 6:44pm On Aug 15, 2014
Joshthefirst: Lol.

Source of the studies please

As a medical student, you are a person who should be familiar with the world of microbiology.
Now, which of the statements above would you say is not part of what you learned in your studies?
Which sounds strange and untrue to you?

Is it that there 100 trillion microbes in the average human body?
Is that they outnumber our body cells by 10 to 1?
Is it that their Genetic materials outnumber ours by a factor of about 100?
Is it that gut microbial flora affect brain development, diseases and social behavior ?
Or is it that microbes have social lives?
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by blueyedgeek(m): 6:51pm On Aug 15, 2014
Men, these kind of posts just make me hungry. Microbes at work I think.

4 Likes

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Joshthefirst(m): 8:12pm On Aug 15, 2014
plaetton:

As a medical student, you are a person who should be familiar with the world of microbiology.
Now, which of the statements above would you say is not part of what you learned in your studies?
Which sounds strange and untrue to you?

Is it that there 100 trillion microbes in the average human body?
Is that they outnumber our body cells by 10 to 1?
Is it that their Genetic materials outnumber ours by a factor of about 100?
Is it that gut microbial flora affect brain development, diseases and social behavior ?
Or is it that microbes have social lives?

The gut flora influences brain development and behavior, social behavior for that matter . They influence our body chemistry to satisfy their whims.
The domain of influence of these microbes on our lives include brain development, learning, unlearning, likes and dislikes, intimate preferences, risk tolerance, addictive and compulsive behaviors, our cultures, and of course, subsequently the rise and fall of civilizations.

Yup.

Source for the quoted, especially the bolded.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 8:33pm On Aug 15, 2014
Joshthefirst:

Source for the quoted, especially the bolded.

I am the source. The bolded is an extrapolation from facts that are widely known and accepted.

That gut microbial flora affects the body in general, and brain development in particular, is the abc of medical school.
So I don't know where you are coming from.

First, whatever influences your brain development influences your social behavior.
Your social behavior influences the choices that you make, not only as an individual, but as a group at the general level of society and civilization.

Secondly, there is nothing controversial or hotly debated about the biological facts presented. The information is widely available in the public domain, something that I thought a medical student should be well aware of.

There are tons of studies on this subject, most notably at Harvard.
I challenge to do your due diligence and come back with a rebuttal , if you can.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by macof(m): 9:01pm On Aug 15, 2014
Oh! Plaeton grin

But then are you saying the human brain doesn't act by it's own will without the influence of these "microbes"

1 Like

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 9:21pm On Aug 15, 2014
macof: Oh! Plaeton grin

But then are you saying the human brain doesn't act by it's own will without the influence of these "microbes"

Anything that strongly affect you, invariably control you.
For example, a glass, or several shots of scotch whisky changes your mood, your perception, your motor skills, and invariably controls your actions for the brief time it stays in your blood stream.

Now , imagine something that is a permanent part of you from the day you were born, something that outnumbers your human blood cells 10 to 1, 90% of your body cells, something that has it's own survival agenda. Imagine the kind of influence that something would have on you, your development, your immunity to certain diseases, your preferences, your choices, your outlook and your social behavior.
That is what I am talking about.

Therefore, from the foregoing, my proposition is that we are not free thinking humans.

Sure, we have a will and a volition, but they are not free.
They are encumbered by many many factors, one of which is the power and influence of our 100 trillion microbial gods..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Rilwayne001: 9:52pm On Aug 15, 2014
Yawnss undecided
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Nobody: 10:35pm On Aug 15, 2014
Shoot me embarassed
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:35am On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton:

I am the source. The bolded is an extrapolation from facts that are widely known and accepted.

That gut microbial flora affects the body in general, and brain development in particular, is the abc of medical school.
So I don't know where you are coming from.

First, whatever influences your brain development influences your social behavior.
Your social behavior influences the choices that you make, not only as an individual, but as a group at the general level of society and civilization.

Secondly, there is nothing controversial or hotly debated about the biological facts presented. The information is widely available in the public domain, something that I thought a medical student should be well aware of.

There are tons of studies on this subject, most notably at Harvard.
I challenge to do your due diligence and come back with a rebuttal , if you can.

It is well known that the body has a connection with its natural microflora, and that the brain has developed an adaptive relationship with the microbes in the body, especially those in the gut, but your extrapolation is jumping hurdles.

Gut bacteria do not influence our bodies chemistry to satisfy their whims. That is a bold and idiotic lie I'm afraid.

They affect the expression of certain genes and they produce certain neurotransmitters for the bodie's benefit.

Lolz. 'They influence our bodies to satisfy their whims'. Lol. This man won't kill me before my time.
grin

Edit: You turn it the other way round as if the normal microflora are behind our essense and conscious actions. You misunderstand(deliberately it seems). The brain has simply formed a 'beneficial' relationship with these organisms, relying on their products to run certain mental and psycho physical actions. Thats a simple way to put it. You turn things upside down in an effort to merge scientific findings with your nihilistic and shallow, self-degrading world view.

I can see some have already swallowed your nonsense hook, line and sinker.

All your 'extrapolations' are more like the ravings of a mad man.

Good day Sir. smiley
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 12:58pm On Aug 16, 2014
Joshthefirst: It is well known that the body has a connection with its natural microflora, and that the brain has developed an adaptive relationship with the microbes in the body, especially those in the gut, but your extrapolation is jumping hurdles.

Gut bacteria do not influence our bodies chemistry to satisfy their whims. That is a bold and idiotic lie I'm afraid.

They affect the expression of certain genes and they produce certain neurotransmitters for the bodie's benefit.

Lolz. 'They influence our bodies to satisfy their whims'. Lol. This man won't kill me before my time.
grin

Edit: You turn it the other way round as if the normal microflora are behind our essense and conscious actions. You misunderstand(deliberately it seems). The brain has simply formed a 'beneficial' relationship with these organisms, relying on their products to run certain mental and psycho physical actions. Thats a simple way to put it. You turn things upside down in an effort to merge scientific findings with your nihilistic and shallow, self-degrading world view.

I can see some have already swallowed your nonsense hook, line and sinker.

All your 'extrapolations' are more like the ravings of a mad man.

Good day Sir. smiley

Ok. So you Joshthefirst, a medical student, is here on record denying the scientific fact that the gut flora affects brain development, is associated with many diseases, and interferes with our body chemistry for their own benefit?

Please confirm if this is what you are denying.

Before I make you eat your own words, I advise you to quickly go back and read up on this and come back.

Don't let your foolish human ego obstruct your absorption of scientific facts.

I will give you some time.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Joshthefirst(m): 1:08pm On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton:

Ok. So you Joshthefirst, a medical student, is here on record denying the scientific fact that the gut flora affects brain development, is associated with many diseases, and interferes with our body chemistry for their own benefit?

Please confirm if this is what you are denying.

Before I make you eat your own words, I advise you to quickly go back and read up on this and come back.

Don't let your foolish human ego obstruct your absorption of scientific facts.

I will give you some time.
I DENY THE BOLDED.

You are the one twisting scientific facts in this case.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by basille(m): 1:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
Was expecting an expatiation of freewill in relation to the Society ( a topic for another day), then again freewill in relation to microbiology of humans is more advanced.

To me, i don't think there's such a thing as absolute freewill (or atleast it can't be easily attained) for the common man, there's a lot of factors involved.

2 Likes

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 2:16pm On Aug 16, 2014
Joshthefirst: I DENY THE BOLDED.

You are the one twisting scientific facts in this case.

I am not twisting anything. i am just putting in simple language what is already scientifically known.

Ok. Lets make this simple.

Pls let me know which of these statements you disagree with.

1. You agree that gut flora affects brain development. Yes or NO ?
2. That gut flora is associated with many human diseases, including neurological diseases. Yes or No ?
3. That gut flora interferes with our our body chemistry. Yes or No ?
4. That gut flora manipulate our body chemistry for their own benefits. Yes or No?
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 2:23pm On Aug 16, 2014
basille:
To me, i don't think there's such a thing as absolute freewill (or atleast it can't be easily attained) for the common man, there's a lot of factors involved.

Exactly what I am trying to prove here.

basille: [color=#000099]Was expecting an expatiation of freewill in relation to the Society ( a topic for another day), then again freewill in relation to microbiology of humans is more advanced.

I will be addressing that later.
I just wanted to start from the simplest and tiniest factors that encumber free will. To show that even tiny microbes in our body have a direct influence on our will and volition, talkless of many other factors that I will be addressing as we move along on this thread.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 2:28pm On Aug 16, 2014
If we agree that the microbial flora make up more than 90% of our body cells, and that they are social creatures with social structures that resemble our own, then the important common sense question is :
Are they mimicking us or are we mimicking them ?
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 2:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
^^^
Considering that these creatures are a few billion years older than we are in the evolutionary timetable, it is extremely important, funny and even scary to consider that we might very well be living our lives unconsciously manifesting the wills of our microbial gods, while erroneously looking up to the sky for meaning, sucour and salvation.
Lol.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by basille(m): 2:48pm On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton: If we agree that the microbial flora make up more than 90% of our body cells, and that they are social creatures with social structures that resemble our own, then the important common sense question is :
Are they mimicking us or are we mimicking them ?
Logically, you can't mimick what is part of you. The variations in structures of the acclaimed "microbial flora" is what make up the social structure of humans. No one is mimicking each other, the microbial flora are the basic component that make up the social structure of humans.
P.S: i have no idea what or if the microbial flora makes up the body cell. This post is based on the assertion Are they mimicking us or are we mimicking them ?
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by plaetton: 3:05pm On Aug 16, 2014
basille:
Logical, you can't mimick what is part of you. The variations in structures of the acclaimed "microbial flora" is what make up the social structure of humans. No one is mimicking each other, the microbial flora are the basic component that make up the social structure of humans.
P.S: i have no idea what or if the microbial flora makes up the body cell. This post is based on the assertion Are they mimicking us or are we mimicking them ?

Comment appreciated.
Ok, so mimicking is perhaps not the best word in this context.
Ok, lets just say that we may be acting or living according to their social blueprints.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Nobody: 5:41pm On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton:

This is not an opinion sir, these are concluded scientific facts. There are tons of written material on this subject.

Anything that affects your brain development and social behavior, invariably affect or even directs your life.
explain the "Facts" to us.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
Rilwayne001: Yawnss undecided

Way over your head? grin grin
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Rilwayne001: 7:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
rationalmind:

Way over your head? grin grin

grin grin grin lol grin grin

First class "mu*u" thats your name grin grin ahahahah

1 Like

Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Joshthefirst(m): 7:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
plaetton:

I am not twisting anything. i am just putting in simple language what is already scientifically known.

Ok. Lets make this simple.

Pls let me know which of these statements you disagree with.

1. You agree that gut flora affects brain development. Yes or NO ?
2. That gut flora is associated with many human diseases, including neurological diseases. Yes or No ?
3. That gut flora interferes with our our body chemistry. Yes or No ?
4. That gut flora manipulate our body chemistry for their own benefits. Yes or No?
4 is wrong for Pete's sake. Especially the bolded.
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Nobody: 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
Rilwayne001:

grin grin grin lol grin grin

First class "mu*u" thats your name grin grin ahahahah

Allah will be very proud of you grin
Re: Ye Are Gods, All Of You, All 100 Trillion Of You. by Rilwayne001: 7:27pm On Aug 16, 2014
rationalmind:

Allah will be very proud of you grin

Nothing will be very proud of you grin grin undecided

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

What Is The Interpretation Of The Dream Of Seeing Washed Bitter Leaf? / Another Evidence Of God's Existence / If You Get A Telescope, You Will Immediately Stop Believing The Bible

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.