Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,693 members, 7,802,026 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:07 AM

Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? (23709 Views)

10 Reasons Why You Shouldn't Indulge In Sex Before Marriage- Danceville / She Broke Up When I Told Her No Sex Before Marriage / Husband, Wife And Lover Living Together (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by lalasticlala(m): 5:18pm On Aug 15, 2014
In today’s world of soaring divorce rates, most couples are hesitant to commit themselves to marriage for fear of finding out that they are not really suited to be long-term partners. And yet, it is only natural that two people in a serious relationship would want to share a life together. In such a situation cohabitation or living together without being formally married may offer a middle path.

But really how good is this idea for the health of a relationship?

The biggest advantage of cohabitation before marriage is that it gives both partners a fair idea of how it would feel to be married to the person. When dating, people naturally put their best foot forward but sharing a life with the same person can turn out to be a different ballgame altogether. Living together can be a good way of getting to know about the other aspects of your partner and get a feel of the commitment and practical responsibilities that sharing a life and home demands. Cohabitation lets you know how being married is different from merely dating your partner.

Living together also provides a way of getting to know aspects of your partner which might disappoint you later. If you discover that the person you are living with is extremely irresponsible with money or that he/she has a tendency to get physically violent when upset, it is easier to exit the relationship while still cohabiting. This is because, if you are already married, there will be legal issues to sort out and in the worst case scenario, kids from the marriage to take care of, in case your partner is emotionally or physically abusive.

Nevertheless, many are of the opinion that living together before marriage does not guarantee marital happiness.
In fact, christians, especially born again ones, frown at living together before marriage.

Those that live together before marriage are called live-in-lovers.

Guys/babes, are you for or against living together before marriage?

4 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
For me am totally against it , I don't need to live with you first before I can get to know some things I can't cope with about you , moreover you can never know someone completely , we are going to be spending our entire life together so why the rush , it's more irritating when the girl turns to his house maid , washing clothes and all that .

26 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by englishmart(m): 5:34pm On Aug 15, 2014
After marriage she packs in.

That's all.

I no get power for long comments

19 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by bustyhelen(f): 5:43pm On Aug 15, 2014
Not a good idea at all. But spending the week end in his place occasionally may be OK.Than live-in-lovers.

Some as they live together, d babe may get pregnant once or twice and the man may cajole her to evacuate the stuff, and she may oblige him to answer a "loyal" wife to b. After he may throw her out and find one flimsy excuse like "my mama said I can't marry outside my tribe".

hahahahahahaha

sisters shine ur eyes ooooo

31 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by pickabeau1: 5:49pm On Aug 15, 2014
With the moniker you have, your profile leaves much to be desired

undecided undecided

bustyhelen: Not a good idea at all. But spending the week end in his place occasionally may be OK.Than live-in-lovers.

Some as they live together, d babe may get pregnant once or twice and the man may cajole her to evacuate the stuff, and she may oblige him to answer a "loyal" wife to b. After he may throw her out and find one flimsy excuse like "my mama said I can't marry outside my tribe".

hahahahahahaha

sisters shine ur eyes ooooo

3 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 5:53pm On Aug 15, 2014
Not a good idea.
Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Houseofglam7(f): 5:57pm On Aug 15, 2014
A wonderful idea.
grin

6 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by oyihou: 5:59pm On Aug 15, 2014
Traditional Marriage is the most potent and powerful type of marriage in Africa. If the MAN HAS PAID HER BRIDE PRICE THEN THEY ARE HUSBAND AND WIFE.

So if a lady is ashamed of the custom and tradition of her people and her land, she can go ahead and do court marriage.

But from where i hail from if you like go and do court MARRIAGE without the traditional marriage you are not regarded as a married person according to the tradition of my beloved lineage.

No matter where i find myself i will never abandone my culture because of a BORROWED CULTURE from another NATION

I SHALL FOLLOW THE FOOTSTEP OF MY LINEAGE/ FORE FATHERS NO MATTER WHAT.

10 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by bustyhelen(f): 6:04pm On Aug 15, 2014
oyihou: Traditional Marriage is the most potent and powerful type of marriage in Africa. If the MAN HAS PAID HER BRIDE PRICE THEN THEY ARE HUSBAND AND WIFE.

So if a lady is ashamed of the custom and tradition of her people and her land, she can go ahead and do court marriage.

But from where i hail from if you like go and do court MARRIAGE without the traditional marriage you are not regarded as a married person according to the tradition of my beloved lineage.

No matter where i find myself i will never abandone my culture because of a BORROWED CULTURE from another NATION

are u with us on this thread?

75 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by bustyhelen(f): 6:08pm On Aug 15, 2014
oyihou: Traditional Marriage is the most potent and powerful type of marriage in Africa. If the MAN HAS PAID HER BRIDE PRICE THEN THEY ARE HUSBAND AND WIFE.

are u with us on this thread?

2 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by oyihou: 6:11pm On Aug 15, 2014
bustyhelen:

are u with us on this threa d?

What do you mean?
Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Jim88(m): 6:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
In cohabitation now called trial marriage,u do watever there is to do in marriage,why not marry at once instead?plus,in our social settings now,marriage is a contract n contracts gets terminated,so one should get married without cohabating and if it does not work out,you can always divorce and no one will sue you.

3 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by lalasticlala(m): 9:46pm On Aug 15, 2014
[quote author=bustyhelen]Not a good idea at all. But spending the week end in his place occasionally may be OK.Than live-in-lovers.

hahahahahahaha

sisters shine ur eyes ooooo[/quote

lol

1 Like

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Jerrick(m): 10:29pm On Aug 15, 2014
Very Bad.
Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by ideology(m): 11:46pm On Aug 15, 2014

U are right bro, traditional is the real thing, but The main idea is the father's approval. Even without paying bride price if the father or(in his absence ) representative approves she can go with you if she wants.
God approves it too. (In fact God said the lady does not even have the right to say yes to any man, expect his father approves)
if a man says to a lady, "marry me", the best response should be, "see my father "

Court marriage is man's wisdom born out of selfish interest

White wedding is a traditional wedding in some parts of Europe.

Engagement is man's knowledge born to satisfy carnal fantasies

Every nation have their own traditional marriage
What is mostly practised in Africa is combination of various traditional wedding customs from other cultures.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wedding_customs_by_country

Finally, if my sweetie wants us to live together, I have no problem with that, but Her dad must approve.

9 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by daveP(m): 11:55pm On Aug 15, 2014
grin the devil has made what was once in the wrong direction to be now right in direction. Cohabit ko, koba-hit ni!

Seriously its rubbish- just one excuse is given-- knowing more about your partner! Ce fini.

Cant he/she know since its not only one way to know a person. And again its the fear of crashing that made it so valid. Meaning that fireproof among partners is thin to say the least. The man cant absorb Nkechi's insult. Bolatito cant do without using pestles in a fight, so mama lekan advices he lives with Bola to confirm the rumor. Pa Goddy advices Ugo to give her belle to see her loyalty as they live together.

I even heard that a certain tribe in Nigeria makes it a MUST for the lady to get pregnated before they can smell the aisle!

Bottomline- the fear of the unknown. Entering the school to write a test without registering properly.

7 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 4:44am On Aug 16, 2014
In our culture, it's wrong. It often leads to outside wedlock childbirths.

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 4:46am On Aug 16, 2014
No
Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Dygeasy(m): 4:48am On Aug 16, 2014

This kain highness no be for here o

8 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Osama10(m): 4:49am On Aug 16, 2014
I want to know for those of you who are so called christians, what does your bible say about fornication? angry

1 Like

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by xynerise: 4:52am On Aug 16, 2014
Pay her dowry and she is all yours. When you choose to do your White wedding is nobody's business. Cohabitation has been used to deceive a lot of women.

Tell girls from now till Jesus comes they will never adhere.

9 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by padeolu: 4:54am On Aug 16, 2014
Good for tthe guy, bad for the lady

2 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by anishe(m): 4:57am On Aug 16, 2014
What will the lady be doing there?

Get married before you move in with him.

I preach total abstinence until marriage night.

Be warned!!!

But FP things. I thank God o.

8 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Onlinebizexpert(m): 5:03am On Aug 16, 2014
it is the number one cause for unwanted pregnancy
Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by engrflames: 5:03am On Aug 16, 2014
If u'r man living together with a lady before marriage, there is no difference between u and bokoharam. #bringbackourgirls

6 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by ayoku777(m): 5:08am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala: In today’s world of soaring divorce rates, most couples are hesitant to commit themselves to marriage for fear of finding out that they are not really suited to be long-term partners. And yet, it is only natural that two people in a serious relationship would want to share a life together. In such a situation cohabitation or living together without being formally married may offer a middle path.

The biggest advantage of cohabitation before marriage is that it gives both partners a fair idea of how it would feel to be married to the person. When dating, people naturally put their best foot forward but sharing a life with the same person can turn out to be a different ballgame altogether. Living together can be a good way of getting to know about the other aspects of your partner and get a feel of the commitment and practical responsibilities that sharing a life and home demands. Cohabitation lets you know how being married is different from merely dating your partner.

Living together also provides a way of getting to know aspects of your partner which might disappoint you later. If you discover that the person you are living with is extremely irresponsible with money or that he/she has a tendency to get physically violent when upset, it is easier to exit the relationship while still cohabiting. This is because, if you are already married, there will be legal issues to sort out and in the worst case scenario, kids from the marriage to take care of, in case your partner is emotionally or physically abusive.

Nevertheless, many are of the opinion that living together before marriage does not guarantee marital happiness.
In fact, christians, especially born again ones, frown at living together before marriage.

As a christian, Christ and the scriptures should be our standard for defining what is good. We just don't ask if something is good, but also if it is godly. Godly is the believers' definition of "good". And scripturally, having a "live-in" lover is wrong.

Even Jesus Christ that has paid the ultimate price for His bride, the church, with His life, and has given her the earnest of the Spirit (first gift of commitment); has not brought her home yet. They are not yet living together bodily.

It is after the wedding feast of the lamb, that Christ and His church will officially live and be together bodily through the milenial and for eternity.

I believe its best to learn the values of marriage from the one who instituted it in the first place -God; and not from what society deems acceptable now.

So living together with a partner, even a fiancé is wrong and not godly.

15 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Chrisbenogor(m): 5:12am On Aug 16, 2014
There's really no guarantee on what will give a good marriage. It takes two willing people to tango.

That being said I think it depends on the maturity of the couple involved. Living together can be a reminder of what will be when you tie the knot. I think one might lose the excitement of being a newly wedded couple but in its place you would have gone through the teething problems that some early marriages go through. There's no more surprise, you learn quickly that sex life in marriage for instance is far from the occasional hormone filled hook ups you have.

If two mature people feel like they are mentally strong enough to handle it or they already almost spend a lot of time together then why not?

10 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by Nobody: 5:14am On Aug 16, 2014
The truth is even though majority of us here criticize it, over half of unmarried couple cohabitate. I remember when i was in school i was living with my BF, staying with him gave me a sense of direction as he was a serious and focused guy, Damn!!! that guy get principle sha.. we would wake together, pray together, go to the library together, he fixes my assignments, he advices me, he was like my elder brother,i couldnt even think of cheating on him because i had it going well, as soon as he graduated things changed and then i became SEXYSEUN. angry
My point is, it all boils down to the individual you are cohabitating with, marriage doesnt change anybody its just a way of telling people officially that we are cohabitating for life. I have got many couple who initially lived together and ended up as lovely husband and wife and same i had couple who went straight into marriage(after normal dating iissh) and now headed for divorce.... cry

It all boils down to what you both decide and not Nairalander's comments wink

31 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by ednut1(m): 5:29am On Aug 16, 2014
women go still pretend during dat stage. wen ring finally enter ur eye go clear grin

1 Like

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by blueberryp: 5:32am On Aug 16, 2014
sexyseun: The truth is even though majority of us here criticize it, over half of unmarried couple cohabitate. I remember when i was in school i was living with my BF, staying with him gave me a sense of direction as he was a serious and focused guy, Damn!!! that guy get principle sha.. we would wake together, pray together, go to the library together, he fixes my assignments, he advices me, he was like my elder brother,i couldnt even think of cheating on him because i had it going well, as soon as he graduated things changed and then i became SEXYSEUN. angry
My point is, it all boils down to the individual you are cohabitating with, marriage doesnt change anybody its just a way of telling people officially that we are cohabitating for life. I have got many couple who initially lived together and ended up as lovely husband and wife and same i had couple who went straight into marriage(after normal dating iissh) and now headed for divorce.... cry

It all boils down to what you both decide and not Nairalander's comments wink
lmao @becoming SEXYSEUN cheesy

6 Likes

Re: Living Together Before Marriage - Is It A Good Idea? by nairaman66(m): 5:35am On Aug 16, 2014
lalasticlala: In today’s world of soaring divorce rates, most couples are hesitant to commit themselves to marriage for fear of finding out that they are not really suited to be long-term partners. And yet, it is only natural that two people in a serious relationship would want to share a life together. In such a situation cohabitation or living together without being formally married may offer a middle path.

Yes! Keeps you abreast of who the person is and may become!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

My Boyfriend Says He Needs Space. / Doctor Vs Nurse Vs Patients (18+) / American Babes Vs. Nigerian Babes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.