Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,944 members, 7,799,203 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 04:56 PM

Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide (64416 Views)

WHO Blames Pesticide For ‘mysterious Deaths’ In Nigerian Town / Nano-silver Nigerian Ebola Drug Is A Pesticide- US / Ebola: Nigeria Reaches Out To U.S. For Experimental Drug; NMA Sets Up Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Joejonah(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
US can't be innocent of EBOLA, it's a manufactured virus, all these they are talking is complete trash.. our problem is that we don't perform our own research

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by hikmojj(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
hmmmmmm.........only Allah knows the hidden

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Exponental(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
If usa cant help, let them shut up.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Orikinla(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
[size=18pt]The clinically approved drugs amiodarone, dronedarone and verapamil inhibit filovirus cell entry.[/size]
Gehring G1, Rohrmann K2, Atenchong N1, Mittler E3, Becker S3, Dahlmann F4, Pöhlmann S4, Vondran FW5, David S6, Manns MP7, Ciesek S7, von Hahn T8.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVES:
Filoviruses such as Ebola virus and Marburg virus cause a severe haemorrhagic fever syndrome in humans for which there is no specific treatment. Since filoviruses use a complex route of cell entry that depends on numerous cellular factors, we hypothesized that there may be drugs already approved for human use for other indications that interfere with signal transduction or other cellular processes required for their entry and hence have anti-filoviral properties.
METHODS:
We used authentic filoviruses and lentiviral particles pseudotyped with filoviral glycoproteins to identify and characterize such compounds.
RESULTS:
We discovered that amiodarone, a multi-ion channel inhibitor and adrenoceptor antagonist, is a potent inhibitor of filovirus cell entry at concentrations that are routinely reached in human serum during anti-arrhythmic therapy. A similar effect was observed with the amiodarone-related agent dronedarone and the L-type calcium channel blocker verapamil. Inhibition by amiodarone was concentration dependent and similarly affected pseudoviruses as well as authentic filoviruses. Inhibition of filovirus entry was observed with most but not all cell types tested and was accentuated by the pre-treatment of cells, indicating a host cell-directed mechanism of action. The New World arenavirus Guanarito was also inhibited by amiodarone while the Old World arenavirus Lassa and members of the Rhabdoviridae (vesicular stomatitis virus) and Bunyaviridae (Hantaan) families were largely resistant.
CONCLUSIONS:
The ion channel blockers amiodarone, dronedarone and verapamil inhibit filoviral cell entry.
© The Author 2014. Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the British Society for Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. All rights reserved. For Permissions, please e-mail: journals.permissions@oup.com.

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Mariopgomery(m): 3:06pm On Aug 16, 2014
The drugs shud be testd on monkeys first, if the results are encouraging then humans can have it. I would love to see the faces of americans if this turns out to be a cure for ebola.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by ZUBY77(m): 3:08pm On Aug 16, 2014
Haha
.I was first on Nairaland..then punch and now vanguard..

When I get CNN.. We throw a party.

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by PENMIGHT(m): 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2014
Who cares whether Nano is similar to BAYGON or RAID. Let the sick get cured, we can change the nomenclature later.

12 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 16, 2014
Arosa: The dongoyaro leave is medicinal it can also be used as pesticide. We should also try it on Ebola.
we av dongoyaro tree at home. We fit chew am lyk dat?

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by ilotriouzAY(m): 3:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
Y US no go use us play since our government self no care

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by M4gunners: 3:10pm On Aug 16, 2014
USA is loosing it naway days, many Country don't respect them like b4 eg.Iran, Syria, Russia, North K and so on maybe nigeria will join them soon.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Nobody: 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
What if ebola is a pest disease?

9 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Princek12(m): 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
Since majority of Nigerians are either illiterates or educated illiterates, their response to America's claim does not surprise me. The scientist who created the so called ebola drug chose to remain anonymous. Why? He chose to because he is a scam. A real scientist will stand by his creation and defend it in peer review and scientific journals.

Which laboratory was used in the development? Has it been tested on animals? Is there a procedure in place for clinical trials? This "feel among" attitude displayed by all these benighted Nigerians without the infrastructure that entitles you to be among is laughable. You want to feel as though you are producing an Ebola cure but you don't have electricity, you have a decrepit educational system, you have no funding for scientific research, and you have no procedure for regulating clinical trials. But you want to feel among.

Good luck to the people taking Nigeria's Ebola drug.

28 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by duni04(m): 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
ratiken:

You my friend is a Size 38 FOOL. Stay on topic and stop derailing this important thread

On topic: We need to test out Nano silver before discarding it. The speed at which the US condemned this option supports many conspiracy theories.
Even if the US goverrment did not come out to question this mystery silver, i would have done so. For christ sake where is the research to support this nanosilver? Are we that ignorant in this country?

16 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by ugotuf(m): 3:11pm On Aug 16, 2014
overhypedsteve: We need the pesticide.
Bros, I echo ur opinion, ''WE NEED THE PESTICIDE'' The Yankees can GAD! with their zmapp!.
Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Leopantro: 3:12pm On Aug 16, 2014
I see no difference between the indigenes of Liberia chasing American doctors away from villages with cases of Ebola and the comments that are on this thread.

13 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Omadachi(m): 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2014
Let forget about US and go ahead to test the nano silver on animals first,if it works then we go ahead to treat our citizens.Must US accredit everything before we use them?There is no harm in trial.Let's follow due process to establish the authencity of the nano silver claim.Am so surprise that lagos state government was too fast to reject nano silver becos US stance.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Just20(f): 3:14pm On Aug 16, 2014
Nano Silver Vs Zmapp

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by begwong: 3:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
Shame on you americanos.
when we did our first experiment with hot salt water bath,where are thou?

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by omoredia: 3:15pm On Aug 16, 2014
$%^&

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by andrewza: 3:16pm On Aug 16, 2014
People who blam the west for ebola are fools.

7 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by rakish(m): 3:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
wow,i think what the US says by calling the nano silver a pesticide shuld nt make us rain insults on them but to proof them wrong. They have reasons for calling it a pesticide,lets give them reasons why its not and can cure EVD. Experiment the vaccines to be sure it works,seems govt is certain it wil work.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Nobody: 3:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
[size=13pt]All id say is where are our own professors in microbiology, our pharmacists? Where are they? If this outbreak was in china, i can imagine sevrral vaccine being developed by now. We just need to wake up if we must survive.

Meanwhile, our president is watching movie with oboli in Aso rock.

#Good politician Bad Leader[/size]

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by obeski13(m): 3:19pm On Aug 16, 2014
Joejonah: US can't be innocent of EBOLA, it's a manufactured virus, all these they are talking is complete trash.. our problem is that we don't perform our own research
.its not only dat we fail to experiment wit those drugs,but unfortunately majority of dis researchers hide dis research work frm everybody
Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Moblord(m): 3:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
I told u.. They created this virus.

2 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
DjAndroid: It's like vanguard has removed the story, the link is not working anymore.
just clicked it, it still there... cool
Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Nobody: 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
ZUBY77: Haha
.I was first on Nairaland..then punch and now vanguard..

When I get CNN.. We throw a party.
first to contrat ebola or what?

5 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by kobonaire(m): 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
danot1030: US is becoming useless by the day, let obama go and drink his zmap and leave us to test our pesticide.
Oh yeah and Nigeria is becoming better by the day ... cheesy

3 Likes

Whoever put this on the front page is a type A móron on a mission. Vanguard quotes two people and calls it "a social media backlash".

I hate this site. Look at what you caused with your foolish misinformation yesterday.

[size=16pt]There is no effing drug called nanosilver. It is an antibacterial compound that has been in existence for years.[/size] But the dummy who titled and promoted yesterday's threads wants people to think this "nameless Nigerian in the diaspora" invented it.

WHY must you embarrass Nigeria like this? Are you secretly a white racist? The world is laughing at us.

19 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by DonCaleb: 3:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
Dear Amarica since You have refused to give us ur Zmapp, Don't worry Heaven of the righouse God will make Nano slyver work for us!
Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by sammieguze(m): 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Who cares if it is herbicide, germicide or humanicide Someone is on the verge of death and you are saying the drug is poison... Poison or not, what has he got to lose?

The simple truth is... America can go f.uck themselves. Let whoever wanna try the drug try it. After all.... Even the zmapp of a drug didn't work for everybody and i believe it is much better we learn from our mistakes that sitting down and doing nothing at all.

3 Likes

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by Godjone(m): 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Whether na pesticides or insecticide na our business e no concern UNa. Useless us! grin

1 Like

Re: Ebola: Nigerians Blast US FDA For Calling Its Experimental Drug, Pesticide by nairaman66(m): 3:22pm On Aug 16, 2014
Until proven otherwise, the USA is right. Let's be constructive in our criticism and also objective!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Coronavirus: FG Confirms Five New Cases / 6 Diseases That Could Embarrass You In The Public / Help I Need A Drugs That Can Make Me Last Long In Bed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.