Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,538 members, 7,808,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan (1106 Views)

Statistics Of The Biafrian War: What Chance Does Odua /arewa Military Have? / APC Woman Leader In Lagos West Allegedly Caught With Election Materials / Nigerian Military Have Delivered On Security Challenges –jonathan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by NgeneUkwenu(f): 5:56pm On Aug 16, 2014
Nigerian Former Military President, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida has said that the policing of election processes should be left to the police and that the military have no business in the process. The former head of state stated this yesterday while fielding questions from newsmen at his uphill residence in Minna, Niger State, on the occasion of his 73rd birthday coming up tomorrow. Babangida said with a well trained and well-equipped police force, elections could be held in the country without any rancour. “I don’t believe that the military should supervise elections because I don’t believe it should participate. A peep into the Nigeria Police Force, which is the closest to the people, is capable of doing so if the government is able to train them, they will be able to handle any situation,” the former leader said. “I was already an officer in the Nigerian Army in the 60s and there were no military presence (during elections) in those days except the Nigeria Police and I think it is high time we restored the past glory of the force. But I think it is again, what the developing countries face,” he added.

According to reports from Daily Trust, IBB argued that the military could only be used in electoral processes in circumstances for giving logistical support, citing the case of Niger Delta, which has a difficult terrain.

“You can ask those people (military) operating the boats to use their boats in ferrying ballot boxes to such places that cannot be easily accessed through the road and that is perfectly okay. But pertinently, I don’t believe the military guys should be seen on the streets,” Babangida stated. On President Goodluck Jonathan’s unconfirmed ambition to seek a second term in 2015, the ex-military leader said the president is free to contest for any position likeany other Nigerian, adding that whoever is occupying such an office would be willing to seek re-election. “Well, if you were in his shoes, wouldn’t you want to come back if you are there? If you belief in what you are doing and you are doing well, why shouldn’t you? I think what is lacking is what I have always referred to as voter education, the level of understanding, the level of belief is still below what we expect,” he said
Read more at TODAY: http://www.today.ng/politics/military-have-no-business-with-elections-ibb/

1 Like

Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by koboko69: 6:03pm On Aug 16, 2014
The problem is trying to educate anything PDP is like trying to send an slowpoke to uni.

3 Likes

Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by Tolexander: 6:04pm On Aug 16, 2014
This one wey IBB dey talk na theory.

Nigerian situation warrants the army getting involved in the election.

A peep into
the Nigeria Police Force, which
is the closest to the people, is
capable of doing so if the
government is able to train
them, they will be able to
handle any situation,” the
former leader said.
the fact still remains that our police are not well trained.
Should we now leave the fate of the nigerian sensitive electoral processes in the hands of the ill-trained police?
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by Nobody: 6:18pm On Aug 16, 2014
Ibb too has an opinion. The same person that annulled the best election Nigeria ever had. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

2 Likes

Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:20pm On Aug 16, 2014
If anyone should be talking of credibility of an election,it shouldn't be IBB. He is just a bloody hypocrite!

angry
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by RockMaxi: 6:35pm On Aug 16, 2014
saxywale: Ibb too has an opinion. The same person that annulled the best election Nigeria evr had. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

My brother let's move on, 21years gone now and the main actor is now lecturing us how to go about our elections now.
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by Tolexander: 6:36pm On Aug 16, 2014
MzJackBaueress: If anyone should be talking of credibility of an election,it shouldn't be IBB. He is just a bloody hypocrite!

angry
he isn't a bloody hypocrite, he only has a hypocritic blood.
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by NgeneUkwenu(f): 6:41pm On Aug 16, 2014
MzJackBaueress: If anyone should be talking of credibility of an election,it shouldn't be IBB. He is just a bloody hypocrite!

angry

Doesn't take anything away from the message! Even a thief can as well, advise one to stay away from crime, because of his/her own experience! Don't comment like the usual suspects here.
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by MzJackBaueress(f): 6:45pm On Aug 16, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Doesn't take anything away from the message! Even a thief can as well, advise one to stay away from crime, because of his/her own experience! Don't comment like the usual suspects here.
I love the message but dislike the messenger. I can't change that!

angry
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by omenka(m): 6:57pm On Aug 16, 2014
Under Jonathan, the military has been too damn exposed to the civilian population giving rise to incessant abuse of civil rights!

IBB might not be a saint, but one can't really take away the fact that he keeps making very valid points whenever he speaks!!

I expect them to tag him a Boko Haram sponsor now that his opinion doesn't seem to tally with theirs.

Nice one Maradona!! We may love or hate you all we want, but we can't deny the fact we admire your intelligence!

1 Like

Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by Nobody: 7:49am On Aug 17, 2014
RockMaxi:

My brother let's move on, 21years gone now and the main actor is now lecturing us how to go about our elections now.
yeah...the same man that got Nigeria to this mess. The same man that took corruption to a whole new level in Nigeria. still good riddance to bad rubbish.
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by opiaoku: 7:56am On Aug 17, 2014
NgeneUkwenu:

Mr she-male the. Military are there to kill a disgusting creation like you.
Ozu nwuluawu
Your opinion counts to only the fools like you so go and do surgery or forever become a she-male
You are irrelevant to many

GO
AND
DIE
Re: Military Have No Business With Election IBB Educates Jonathan by Nobody: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2014
My question to all those who oppose the deployment od security personnel during elections is this,

which of these is preferable in nation like Nigeria where politics is do or die?

A. Ballot box snatching, maiming, arson, murder because politicians are running the show.

B. Peaceful elections because, because security personnels are running the show.

(1) (Reply)

There Is No Ebola Epidemic In Lagos - Fashola / BOKO HARAM I & BOKO HARAM II: IN LIGHT OF NEW REVELATIONS & WIKILEAKS DOCS. / Visuals From Amaechi's Visit To Emohua

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.