Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,644 members, 7,801,871 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:59 AM

17 Nations Aide In Ebola Fight:1,500 Red Cross Volunteers, 130 Int.staff Member - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 17 Nations Aide In Ebola Fight:1,500 Red Cross Volunteers, 130 Int.staff Member (515 Views)

Nigerian Volunteers To Sierra Leone, Liberia Locked Up In Hotel Over Unpaid Bill / See Photos Of Brave Nigerian Health Volunteers Battling Ebola Virus In Liberia / Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

17 Nations Aide In Ebola Fight:1,500 Red Cross Volunteers, 130 Int.staff Member by Ekundayo7: 7:21pm On Aug 16, 2014
A very interesting video, I pray for all these people being displaced by the razing of their homes. Tried to get the video embed but wouldn't work.
http://www.voanews.com/media/video/2415625.html
Red Cross Federation Chief: Ebola Can Be Defeated
Lisa Schlein
August 16, 2014 6:09 AM
GENEVA—

The head of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies says he is optimistic that Ebola, which is decimating people in West Africa, can be defeated. But, he warns time is of the essence to stop the spread of the deadly disease.

More than 1,500 Red Cross volunteers are working in Ebola-affected communities in Guinea, Sierra Leone and Liberia. Secretary-General of the International Red Cross Federation, Elhadj as Sy says these men and women are on the frontline of the fight against Ebola.

He says he is humbled by the work they do. And, the visit he recently paid to Guinea and Sierra Leone was in large part to show solidarity with them. He wanted to show these brave men and women that they were not alone in their struggle to combat this vicious disease.

“I do not know how I would look like if six months after Ebola then I come to say thank you while during that time when they were on the field risking their lives and doing the best they could and I sit in Geneva all the time,” he said.

Sy says national Red Cross societies throughout the world are involved in bringing the Ebola epidemic to an end. He says nearly 130 international staff members are working in the field.

In addition, he says volunteers are coming from 17 different countries around the world.

Regional knowledge

He says they include people from neighboring Ivory Coast and Rwanda, as well as Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo--nations that have been struck with Ebola in the past and have a wealth of knowledge to impart.

“I think that shows a very strong sense of solidarity-that all resources are required," he said. "Expertise is a resource. Experience of having worked in an Ebola setting is a resource. Bringing your own knowledge of the environment and the cultural setting is a resource. And, of course, we badly need the financial resources and the infrastructure and the equipments that will allow us to cope and then continue to support the response.”

The Red Cross Federation chief says the overwhelming support from so many people and governments makes him optimistic that this disease, which already has claimed more than 1,000 lives, will be defeated. But, he notes it will take many more months and many more lives before this is accomplished.

“While we are very happy with what is being done, we are always asking ourselves if this is enough - probably not," said Sy. "It is not enough because we need to keep on going to scale to reach almost everybody. There is nothing like a half solution in this kind of crisis. So, 50 percent or 70 percent or even 80 will not be satisfactory. We will only make a difference if we walk the whole last mile to the 100 percent.”

[/b]Secretary-General Sy stresses the importance of remaining vigilant. He warns against complacency once cases start to go down, as has happened in the past. He says this could trigger a slower response to the epidemic, which would be a disaster. He says the effort to combat this disease must be sustained until Ebola is stopped.
http://www.voanews.com/content/ebola-can-be-defeated-but-time-is-of-the-essenced/2415466.html
Re: 17 Nations Aide In Ebola Fight:1,500 Red Cross Volunteers, 130 Int.staff Member by jjwaterfalls(f): 9:00pm On Aug 16, 2014
Thank God.
And I pray dat God will preserve d lives of as many dat has volunteered.

(1) (Reply)

EBOLA NOT In Ilorin / Elmiy Hair & Body Cream / Photo And Name Of Second US Ebola Patient Revealed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.