Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,182 members, 7,780,256 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:23 AM

Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience (2149 Views)

Atheism And Terrorism; Annihilation in The Quest For Atheistic Domination / My Atheism And Its Effect On My Mum! / I Renounce Atheism And Agnosticism!!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 4:15am On Aug 17, 2014
A week after the Ebola virus entered Lagos, I showed all the symptoms..............

Fever, headache, sore-throat and weakness. The thought of dying from Ebola was scary. 21 days left to live and so many things to do. These were my constant thoughts;
-who will remember me after I die apart from my family?
-what have I achieved? So I wont die famous?
-I must not infect my family- must call them to travel to UK at once.
-If there is a chance of taking experimental drugs, will i take it knowing that there could be dangerous side-effects?
-So, I will die in a hell-hole called the Quarantine centre?
-What chances do I have to recover?
-How I wish I could reset time like Tom Cruise in the Edge of Tomorrow.
-Is God punishing me? lol...I'm an atheist and so many christians have died from Ebola anyway.
-What will death be like? Will I sleep forever?
-So, I am not going to see PES 2015 or the next world cup?
-I am going to die a kama sutra virgin? I have never had crazy se.x before (in kitchen, crab style, swimming pool etc)

I spent 3 days going through these thoughts. The scariest one was that I wouldnt exist any more- just blackout. I started reliving the best times of my life from my memory. I also had some funny thoughts about death; woulld Nairaland miss me? Would my christian Nairaland haters rejoice at my death and subsequent teeth-gnashing in hell?

My family advised me to take malaria drugs first. I did and it turned out to be malaria. You should see how I was jumping despite being sick. THANK GOD I HAVE MALARIA!!! EBOLA, I DODGED YOU!!!.
===============================================================================

The interesting thing that I want all of us to consider is that I was still cracking jokes on nairaland throughout this ordeal. I actually opened two funny Ebola threads during my sickness.

I LAUGHED AT DEATH......but it was a hollow laughter knowing that it would be my family that suffered from my death and not myself.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by whatofyou: 4:38am On Aug 17, 2014
Nice to see that you are healing. But after all said and done, what is next on your spiritual life

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 4:40am On Aug 17, 2014
whatofyou: Nice to see that you are healing. But after all said and done, what is next on your spiritual life

Se.x, alcohol and videogames

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by timmy2409(m): 5:14am On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

The Holy Trinity

4 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by F00028: 5:16am On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2: . You should see how I was jumping despite being sick. THANK GOD I HAVE MALARIA...

undecided thank God? atheist??

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 5:29am On Aug 17, 2014
F00028:

undecided thank God? atheist??

"thank God" is an expression in English language. Has nothing to do with a belief in God

I see that too much Arabic has spoilt your English vocabulary undecided

Funky muslim

4 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 5:36am On Aug 17, 2014
timmy2409:

The Holy Trinity

cool cool cool cool
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by F00028: 6:03am On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

"thank God" is an expression in English language. Has nothing to do with a belief in God

I see that too much Arabic has spoilt your English vocabulary undecided

Funky muslim
bull$%!£...the context betrays you. it was more than just a colloquiallism in your case.

p.s: even though I believe you really did shout "alhamdulillah" in english, I know you left that in so you can have this argument with somebody...but I couldn't resist

feeble minded atheist

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by alabiyemmy(m): 7:42am On Aug 17, 2014
Who cares..
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by mazaje(m): 9:16am On Aug 17, 2014
I am afraid of death simply because of the fact that everything ends after death. . .The thought of everything ending after death is what i find depressing. . .I am not afraid of what will happen to me after i die. . .death exist only when i don't. . .As for life, i think i have been fulfilled. . was lucky to be born into a very rich home with lots of privileges that i have utilized to my benefit. . i have lived out a lot of my fantasies. . .my s e x u a l fantasies have been lived out(still living it though). . .I have seen a lot of things. . .Been there done that. . But still wanting more or wanting the status quo to remain and never wanting less. . .Life to me is a mystery. . .I am afraid of dying(the process) but I am not afraid of death or what will come after. . .If i die many people will miss me, my family will miss me for extended period , some friends will miss me for extended period of time as well and my employees will miss me (mostly because i am their main source of income). if i die their source of income will be shaken a little or cut short so they'll miss me cos of that if not for anything else grin grin (I try my best to be a good boss and employer).

If I die I want my body to be used for medical research. . .I don't want to be buried. . .But i want my body to be used to add knowledge to mankind. . .

6 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 9:19am On Aug 17, 2014
mazaje: I am afraid of death simply because of the fact that everything ends after death. . .The thought of everything ending after death is what i find depressing. . .I am not afraid of what will happen to me after i die. . .death exist only when i don't. . .As for life, i think i have been fulfilled. . was lucky to be born into a very rich home with lots of privileges that i have utilized to my benefit. . i have lived out a lot of my fantasies. . .my sexual fantasies have been lived out(still living it though). . .I have seen a lot of things. . .Been there done that. . But still wanting more or wanting the status quo to remain and never wanting less. . .Life to me is a mystery. . .I am afraid of dying(the process) but I am not afraid of death or what will come after. . .If i die many people will miss me, my family will miss me for extended period , some friends will miss me for extended period of time as well and my (mostly because i am their main source of income) if i die their source of income will be shaken a little or cut short so they'll miss me cos of that if not for anything else grin grin (I try my best to be a good boss and employer).

If I die I want my body to be used for medical research. . .I don't want to be buried. . .But i want my body to be used to add knowledge to mankind. . .

cry cry cry

So beautifully said!!

It is the same for me.

Also, I want to have an impact on Nigeria before I die. I know that I have done a lot on Nairaland already. I have had over 400 threads on religion and changed/educated many on the dangers/issues with religion but I actually want to make more change.

Also, I want to travel more before I die. I havent been to Denmark, Holland, Norway, Sweden, Japan. Those are my dream countries

It is the suffering of others that worries me most about death. And maybe dying before I achieve my dreams

4 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by GeneralShepherd(m): 9:54am On Aug 17, 2014
I don't want to die. It's depressing sometimes I don't blame theists for hoping on eternity.

4 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 9:58am On Aug 17, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I don't want to die. It's depressing sometimes I don't blame theists for hoping on eternity.

Life generally is depressing. Just look at Gaza or Somalia.

One has to do his or her best to enjoy
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by mazaje(m): 10:09am On Aug 17, 2014
GeneralShepherd: I don't want to die. It's depressing sometimes I don't blame theists for hoping on eternity.

It's the depressing nature of life and the fact that most don't get to actualize their dreams that makes people dream up the idea of eternity. . .It is a very fine idea even though it wishful thought. . .Reincarnation, life after death are all wishful thoughts. . .Its sad for we humans to accept that everything ends after death, its actually depressing so we invent ideas about living after we die just to placate our minds. . .
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by plaetton: 12:20pm On Aug 17, 2014
The constant fear of death, the fear of fading into nothingness is the basis of human religions.

We create gods, ancestral spirits,etc, to give us delusions of continuity of life even after death.

3 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by Nobody: 12:44pm On Aug 17, 2014
death is not to be feared, it is not the end but a transition. however, the human mind has been programmed to fear death by some fallacious doctrines of eternal hell, etc, in attempts to enslave humans and prevent them from attaining true spiritual growth and mental evolution.
In all, 'there is a circle of life' , a reality many will never understand under the umbrella of organized religions. death is a phase in the circle of life's macrocosm, though hardly believed by many due to religious-cobwebbed mentality.

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by traware(m): 2:46pm On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Life generally is depressing. Just look at Gaza or Somalia.

One has to do his or her best to enjoy
Gaza and Somalia?Are those locations not better than Nigeria?As for death,I have no fear of it.It will happen when and how it will happen.Death gives one freedom.Doesn't it?No more worries,no more stresses.I'll welcome it whenever and wherever it decides to visit me

1 Like

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by submit: 5:48pm On Aug 17, 2014
I secretly wish for it sometimes..
But truth be told, atheism is really the best.

You know, my dad forced me to follow him to church today(happens once in a while) and I heard the pastor saying with faith, we can't be a victim of ebola. He even had verses from the bible to support himself. I was initially laughing, then I started thinking about the spanish priest. Was it this same thinking that he had? What about other missionaries who weren't lucky to have this same attentions before they died.

Then I thought about the GOs in Nigeria. How they could have influenced researches towards finding a cure by just each selling 1 of their "jets". But nobody sees anything wrong in what they are doing cos "politicians" do worse.(Smh)

I logged into nairaland and I saw "e-grace convention" and I was like this people don't rest. Now I think I know why Nigeria is really backward. People desperately are looking for just something to hold on to. Just anything that would make them happy while neglecting( I should say procastinating) what really needs to be done.

My conclusion was religion is crazy. You know, it makes people wish for a better afterlife while neglecting the much good that could happen in this one.

You Only Live Once. That has been my watchword ever since. So every little thing I find doing, I do like it's my last and in that way, I contribute my best to the growth of the country.

Oh! My trinity..since I don't do videogames, so its: Sex. Alcohol and Weed. ( Don't hate pls)

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by frank317: 6:04pm On Aug 17, 2014
After my girl died last year, I suffered a lot. But then I thought, if such a lovely(even my mum) person could die then death must not be so bad after all. But then, I don't want to die. Why would want people to miss a lovely person like me?

Life is depressing but the thought of hell is worst because I know I cannot meet all the conditions of missin hell. Fortunately, hell does not exist.

I am more afraid of the process of dying than death itself

5 Likes

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by abdulwastecx(m): 6:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

spirituality is a fair of uncertainty. ..religion get too much attention
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by abdulwastecx(m): 6:25pm On Aug 17, 2014
I always ask religious people the following question.
1. will I be able to watch premier league football and champions league in heaven.
2. will I be able to angout late at night
3. will I be able to listen to rap music
4. go out with my lady
5. chat on nairaland etc.
6. play Fifa football game
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 5:58pm On Aug 18, 2014
traware: Gaza and Somalia?Are those locations not better than Nigeria?As for death,I have no fear of it.It will happen when and how it will happen.Death gives one freedom.Doesn't it?No more worries,no more stresses.I'll welcome it whenever and wherever it decides to visit me

You get the freedom but your left behind loved ones get sorrowful....
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 7:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
frank317: After my girl died last year, I suffered a lot. But then I thought, if such a lovely(even my mum) person could die then death must not be so bad after all. But then, I don't want to die. Why would want people to miss a lovely person like me?

Life is depressing but the thought of hell is worst because I know I cannot meet all the conditions of missin hell. Fortunately, hell does not exist.

I am more afraid of the process of dying than death itself

Well said.

But wait....who died? Your daughter or girlfriend?
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by mazaje(m): 7:28pm On Aug 18, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

Well said.

But wait....who died? Your daughter or girlfriend?

His girl friend. . .Logic boy pls who on NL got cancer?. . .You once mentioned it. .
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 7:31pm On Aug 18, 2014
mazaje:

His girl friend. . .Logic boy pls who on NL got cancer?. . .You once mentioned it. .

lol....it was just a rumour that an ex-mod had cancer.

"We" say it at times to make things interesting
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by mazaje(m): 7:41pm On Aug 18, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

lol....it was just a rumour that an ex-mod had cancer.

"We" say it at times to make things interesting

lol . . . .make things interesting indeed. . .
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by Johnbosco77(m): 10:31pm On Aug 18, 2014
U said THANK GOD" which God r u tanking since u an atheist?(as claimed)
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 5:52am On Aug 19, 2014
Johnbosco77: U said THANK GOD" which God r u tanking since u an atheist?(as claimed)

It's an expression. It has nothing to do with a belief in God
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 5:53am On Aug 19, 2014
abdulwastecx: I always ask religious people the following question.
1. will I be able to watch premier league football and champions league in heaven.
2. will I be able to angout late at night
3. will I be able to listen to rap music
4. go out with my lady
5. chat on nairaland etc.
6. play Fifa football game

I also ask if babies who die on earth become older in heaven so that they can talk or reason
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 8:50am On Aug 19, 2014
submit: I secretly wish for it sometimes..
But truth be told, atheism is really the best.

You know, my dad forced me to follow him to church today(happens once in a while) and I heard the pastor saying with faith, we can't be a victim of ebola. He even had verses from the bible to support himself. I was initially laughing, then I started thinking about the spanish priest. Was it this same thinking that he had? What about other missionaries who weren't lucky to have this same attentions before they died.

Then I thought about the GOs in Nigeria. How they could have influenced researches towards finding a cure by just each selling 1 of their "jets". But nobody sees anything wrong in what they are doing cos "politicians" do worse.(Smh)

I logged into nairaland and I saw "e-grace convention" and I was like this people don't rest. Now I think I know why Nigeria is really backward. People desperately are looking for just something to hold on to. Just anything that would make them happy while neglecting( I should say procastinating) what really needs to be done.

My conclusion was religion is crazy. You know, it makes people wish for a better afterlife while neglecting the much good that could happen in this one.

You Only Live Once. That has been my watchword ever since. So every little thing I find doing, I do like it's my last and in that way, I contribute my best to the growth of the country.

Oh! My trinity..since I don't do videogames, so its: Sex. Alcohol and Weed. ( Don't hate pls)

I dont know how I missed your comment!

I agree wholeheartedly with what you say.

You said something important- some pastors would rather buy private jets than to donate money to fight ebola.

Some churches have even raised prayer warriors to pray fight ebola. Had these churches campaigned for proper healthcare and governance from their political members/sponsors, we might have not had this problem

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by Rilwayne001: 11:32am On Aug 19, 2014
TheBigUrban2:

grin grin this guy ehn grin grin
Re: Atheism And Death. My Ebola Experience by TheBigUrban2: 12:10pm On Aug 19, 2014
Rilwayne001:

grin grin this guy ehn grin grin

There's nothing wrong in those things.....you only have one life

(1) (2) (Reply)

Are We All Born As Atheists? / I Wish There Is No Heaven But Hell Only / Do Atheists Experience Nightmares

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.