Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,589 members, 7,809,129 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:28 AM

66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. - TV/Movies (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. (17624 Views)

Big Brother Africa 'hotshots' Official Thread / Primetime Emmys Awards 2013: Categories, Nominees & Winners / Big Brother Africa 5 (the Official Thread) Is Here! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by mcpat(m): 2:01pm On Aug 26, 2014
RayMcblue02:

Lolz grin

They were completely outclassed by the competition. All in all, this edition was the poorest performance ever recorded by HBO in the last decade.
19 nominations, no Award.. HBO was counting on GOT to bang them in but for Cersei to loose i have to watch the winner in action... As for me i think she deserved the award... I think GOT deserved more..
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by IyawoToBe(f): 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2014
When is my GOT coming back? grin
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcblue02(m): 2:48pm On Aug 26, 2014
mcpat:
19 nominations, no Award.. HBO was counting on GOT to bang them in but for Cersei to loose i have to watch the winner in action... As for me i think she deserved the award... I think GOT deserved more..
"When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die."

Yep, GOT most definitely deserved more. The show did win something though, but it was in a lesser important Category - basically insignificant to a series that is used to winning the best prices.

I was kinda counting on Peter Dinklage (Tyrion) to bag an Emmy, but alas, Aaron from Breaking Bad staged a coup. In fact, it was a night that one show dominated everyone else... yeah, you guessed right. Breaking Bad.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:00pm On Aug 26, 2014
Breaking Bad is the BEST SERIES EVER. The only TV series I've seen which come close are "The Sopranos" and "The Wire". Bryan Cranston is amazing. I can't imagine another actor interpreting that role in the same way.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by Obi1kenobi(m): 11:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
I actually envy people who haven't watched Breaking Bad. I wish I could experience it all over again and not know what to expect.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 3:27am On Aug 27, 2014
Obi1kenobi: Breaking Bad is the BEST SERIES EVER. The only TV series I've seen which come close are "The Sopranos" and "The Wire". Bryan Cranston is amazing. I can't imagine another actor interpreting that role in the same way.

You definitely knew what you were talking about cuz the IMDb seems to agree with you.

IMDb top 5 TV Shows:
#1-Breaking Bad (AMC)
#2-True Detective (HBO)
#3-The Wire (HBO)
#4-Game Of Thrones (HBO)
#5-The Sopranos (HBO)

Breaking Bad spoilt what would being a clean sweep of the top 5 by HBO.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 3:37am On Aug 27, 2014
Obi1kenobi: I actually envy people who haven't watched Breaking Bad. I wish I could experience it all over again and not know what to expect.

Yeah, Breaking bad is top class. I haven't met anyone who didn't like the show, even my fiance who normally don't watch violent shows couldn't take her eyes off of this, when I brought the Season 1-5 complete DVD pack home. Breaking Bad is both addictive and compelling.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by tuagbo: 11:20am On Aug 27, 2014
RayMcblue02: A show surely can't be overrated if it's within the top 5 best TV shows on the planet in the IMDb, right? You can call GOT overrated all you want, but facts doesn't lie...
IMDb may be a credible source for tv shows information but they got this one wrong.The "Game of thrones" tv series really isn't that good.Afterall,its best season has been season one where they referenced a lot of scenes and dialogue from the book.So,my suggestion to the true fans of "Game of thrones" is to read the books if you really want to get the storys' context and authenticity."Game of thrones" tv series scope and depth doesn't even come close to a masterpiece like "Boardwalk Empire"(eventhough season four was its poorest season).Comparing "Breaking Bad" to "The Wire" is an insult to "The Wire".Even Vince Gilligan(the creator of "Breaking Bad) has admitted he used elements from "The Wire" in "Breaking Bad"."The Wire" is head and shoulders ahead of every other tv show made but do you know what?It never even won a single "Emmy"(that shows you how knowledgeable the "Emmy" committee is about tv shows).By the way,"my fiancee?"I always thought you were in your late teens or early twenties because of your enthusiasm.What do you think about the show,"The Tudors?"Good stuff too
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by Obi1kenobi(m): 12:19pm On Aug 27, 2014
tuagbo: IMDb may be a credible source for tv shows information but they got this one wrong.The "Game of thrones" tv series really isn't that good.Afterall,its best season has been season one where they referenced a lot of scenes and dialogue from the book.So,my suggestion to the true fans of "Game of thrones" is to read the books if you really want to get the storys' context and authenticity."Game of thrones" tv series scope and depth doesn't even come close to a masterpiece like "Boardwalk Empire"(eventhough season four was its poorest season).Comparing "Breaking Bad" to "The Wire" is an insult to "The Wire".Even Vince Gilligan(the creator of "Breaking Bad) has admitted he used elements from "The Wire" in "Breaking Bad"."The Wire" is head and shoulders ahead of every other tv show made but do you know what?It never even won a single "Emmy"(that shows you how knowledgeable the "Emmy" committee is about tv shows).By the way,"my fiancee?"I always thought you were in your late teens or early twenties because of your enthusiasm.What do you think about the show,"The Tudors?"Good stuff too
Game of Thrones is a fantastic show - and very original too. Season 1 may be arguably the best (mine is season 4) but they're all great seasons. And to suggest that comparing Breaking Bad to the Wire is an insult because one took some influences from the other is ridiculous. I've watched "The Wire" and it's a fantastic show, but Breaking Bad is better. Even if BB is not better, it's not an insult to compare them at all. It's just a matter of opinion which you prefer. "The Wire" didn't do very well at awards cos it had what often seemed an incoherent, scatter-gun approach with too many plots and sub-plots and characters to follow. You couldn't really follow a dominant central theme or character in "The Wire". Sometimes, you had to go deep into a season, or a future season, to understand what happened in a previous episode. It needs a lot of patience to follow. Even "The Sopranos" is better than "The Wire" for me. And the Emmy people you're insulting are filled with great stakeholders and legendary professionals in the industry who have seen and done it all, and know what film making is all about. Awards aren't given to the most popular shows, but those of greatest artistic merit. Shows like Mad Men, The Sopranos and Breaking Bad that dominate these awards aren't the most watched shows, but they're the biggest artistic accomplishments.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 12:57pm On Aug 27, 2014
tuagbo: IMDb may be a credible source for tv shows information but they got this one wrong.
Then TV.com that scored GOT 9/I0 overall also got it wrong, no? How about Rotten Tomatoes that gave it 96% ratings based on 48 reviews? Or Metacritic that gave it 79% ratings based on 28 reviews? Surely this top critics web pages can't be all wrong, or can they?

tuagbo:
The "Game of thrones" tv series really isn't that good.Afterall,its best season has been season one where they referenced a lot of scenes and dialogue from the book.So,my suggestion to the true fans of "Game of thrones" is to read the books if you really want to get the storys' context and authenticity.
You kept referencing the books. I've read the books but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the television version. If anything, the books gave me a unique perspective (made me a good critic) but didn't deride me from enjoying the show and all the quotes it kept churning out. And even so, sometimes, they are really not all that alike in terms of story lines, which is what makes the TV show dynamic and unpredictable even if you had read the books. Big ups to the showrunner.

tuagbo:
"Game of thrones" tv series scope and depth doesn't even come close to a masterpiece like "Boardwalk Empire"(eventhough season four was its poorest season)
Okay, you're now practically talking out of your âss.grin

tuagbo:
.Comparing "Breaking Bad" to "The Wire" is an insult to "The Wire".Even Vince Gilligan(the creator of "Breaking Bad) has admitted he used elements from "The Wire" in "Breaking Bad"."The Wire" is head and shoulders ahead of every other tv show made but do you know what?It never even won a single "Emmy"(that shows you how knowledgeable the "Emmy" committee is about tv shows).
The wire is a top show, no doubt. All the characters are pretty interesting:

Omar: the drug dealers nightmare, McNulty: the antihero Baltimore cop, Marlo, Stringer Bell, the greek, Chris, Clay Davis: Mr Sh-eeeeeeet, Lester, Snoop... so many of 'em!

...but,

^^ saying that it's better than Breaking Bad is tantamount to saying that Green Apple is better than Red Apple. Absurd. They are both good in their own way, and there is really no basis for comparisons here. While the Wire is surrealistic, Breaking bad is fantastic. Both draws you in and get you so much invested that you feel like you know the characters intimately (not in a séxual manner, mind you).

Bottom line, Breaking bad appealed to a lot more audience than The Wire ever did, because where as the Wire is vulgar and contained MA materials, Breaking Bad really don't have any age restrictions and have a more natural feel to it than the Wire ever did.

tuagbo:
By the way,"my fiancee?"I always thought you were in your late teens or early twenties because of your enthusiasm.What do you think about the show,"The Tudors?"Good stuff too
I'm in my early to mid 20's and yes, I'm getting married.tongue I'm enthusiastic by nature, I guess, and it rubs off on people around me.

I loved the Tudors, most especially the 1st season. A Showtime production, I think...
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by tuagbo: 1:29am On Aug 28, 2014
RayMcBlue:
Then TV.com that scored GOT 9/I0 overall also got it wrong, no? How about Rotten Tomatoes that gave it 96% ratings based on 48 reviews? Or Metacritic that gave it 79% ratings based on 28 reviews? Surely this top critics web pages can't be all wrong, or can they?

You kept referencing the books. I've read the books but it doesn't stop me from enjoying the television version. If anything, the books gave me a unique perspective (made me a good critic) but didn't deride me from enjoying the show and all the quotes it kept churning out. And even so, sometimes, they are really not all that alike in terms of story lines, which is what makes the TV show dynamic and unpredictable even if you had read the books. Big ups to the showrunner.

Okay, you're now practically talking out of your âss.grin

The wire is a top show, no doubt. All the characters are pretty interesting:

Omar: the drug dealers nightmare, McNulty: the antihero Baltimore cop, Marlo, Stringer Bell, the greek, Chris, Clay Davis: Mr Sh-eeeeeeet, Lester, Snoop... so many of 'em!

...but,

^^ saying that it's better than Breaking Bad is tantamount to saying that Green Apple is better than Red Apple. Absurd. They are both good in their own way, and there is really no basis for comparisons here. While the Wire is surrealistic, Breaking bad is fantastic. Both draws you in and get you so much invested that you feel like you know the characters intimately (not in a séxual manner, mind you).

Bottom line, Breaking bad appealed to a lot more audience than The Wire ever did, because where as the Wire is vulgar and contained MA materials, Breaking Bad really don't have any age restrictions and have a more natural feel to it than the Wire ever did.

I'm in my early to mid 20's and yes, I'm getting married.tongue I'm enthusiastic by nature, I guess, and it rubs off on people around me.

I loved the Tudors, most especially the 1st season. A Showtime production, I think...
"The Wire" is the greatest original series ever produced for tv.It never received a best series Emmy nomination much less a win but it deserved that trophy,an oscar,a national book award and a freaking Nobel peace prize to boot"-Peter Traver,Film critic. What I really love about "the wire" is its deliberate unresoved plots.It was cryptic and refused to spoon-feed viewers(which is exactly what the so-called "greatest show" "Breaking Bad" did with its cartooney conclusion)"The wires" take on urban decay and institutional corruption was simply groundbreaking.Don't get me wrong,"Breaking bad" is a good show but too many people have carassed it to the point of excess.In terms of writing,plot development and overall message,it doesn't come close to "the wire" and never will.Like "Lost" and many other shows before it,"Breaking bad" and "Game of thrones" are destined to be placed in the "meh" and "its alright" categories.Yes,many have said "the wire" is "difficult" to understand because of its heavy use of slangs and similar characters but they always fail to realize things constantly happened on the show...important things unlike "Game of thrones" which is a show where people are walking to some place for a whole season.Ofcourse "GOT" is a highly-rated and popular show but no one should believe the hype,even "Duck Dynasty" has millions of viewers.As for the lack of Emmy nominations for "the wire,"many have criticised the Emmy nomination process as outdated and in need of revamping.Smart shows that challenge conventional thoughts about society,usually "hurts" the brains of the committee members.The process goes through some minor changes yearly but not enough to effect any real changes.The whole ordeal is subjective.The best shows aren't always going to make the cut because the people who provide input on the process are submitting their own opinions.It doesn't mean the Emmys' are totally flawed in recognising talent and hardwork but you just can't deny the fact that it is just a popularity contest.Shows like "the wire" don't need awards to know that they are good."A great work doesn't need crowns."As "Stringer Bell" would say,"nuff said."
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 6:13am On Aug 28, 2014
tuagbo: "The Wire" is the greatest original series ever produced for tv.It never received a best series Emmy nomination much less a win but it deserved that trophy,an oscar,a national book award and a freaking Nobel peace prize to boot"-Peter Traver,Film critic. What I really love about "the wire" is its deliberate unresoved plots.It was cryptic and refused to spoon-feed viewers(which is exactly what the so-called "greatest show" "Breaking Bad" did with its cartooney conclusion)"The wires" take on urban decay and institutional corruption was simply groundbreaking.Don't get me wrong,"Breaking bad" is a good show but too many people have carassed it to the point of excess.In terms of writing,plot development and overall message,it doesn't come close to "the wire" and never will.Like "Lost" and many other shows before it,"Breaking bad" and "Game of thrones" are destined to be placed in the "meh" and "its alright" categories.Yes,many have said "the wire" is "difficult" to understand because of its heavy use of slangs and similar characters but they always fail to realize things constantly happened on the show...important things unlike "Game of thrones" which is a show where people are walking to some place for a whole season.Ofcourse "GOT" is a highly-rated and popular show but no one should believe the hype,even "Duck Dynasty" has millions of viewers.As for the lack of Emmy nominations for "the wire,"many have criticised the Emmy nomination process as outdated and in need of revamping.Smart shows that challenge conventional thoughts about society,usually "hurts" the brains of the committee members.The process goes through some minor changes yearly but not enough to effect any real changes.The whole ordeal is subjective.The best shows aren't always going to make the cut because the people who provide input on the process are submitting their own opinions.It doesn't mean the Emmys' are totally flawed in recognising talent and hardwork but you just can't deny the fact that it is just a popularity contest.Shows like "the wire" don't need awards to know that they are good."A great work doesn't need crowns."As "Stringer Bell" would say,"nuff said."

Solid points you made, but while I agree with some of them, the jabs on Breaking Bad and GOT were unfair and undeserved.

First of all, let's analyze The Wire and Breaking Bad:

-The Wire was a show about society and the examination of the role police and criminals play in a modern urban environment and how each is locked into and endless unbreakable and unchangable cycle. Breaking Bad is about a good man being corrupted by greed and how the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
-The Wire is more ambitious and tried to tell a wider variety of stories examining the workings of Balitmore from a different angle each season. Breaking Bad is focused on a single small set of characters with extreme focus.
-Where as the Wire's purpose is to tell the story of a place, Breaking Bad's purpose is to tell the story of a man, not a place.
-The Wire strived for almost naturalistic realism because it is intended to reflect modern society in a very specific place, Breaking Bad goes for high drama because it is modeled on classical tragedy with main focus on character and plot.

They both do what they do very well, but they do different things. It's not really fair to judge them against one another like that. I think Walter White's story arc is a very interesting study of human nature. The Wire had some unforgettable characters. But I think it's impossible to rank them against each other, as one was a series of different story lines and people, while Breaking Bad is the inexorable decline of one man's life.

...but,

^^^ If I'd to choose, I would say Breaking Bad, and here's why:

As much as I like The Wire, and can appreciate its good points, there's a certain shallowness, even a bit of a smirking adolescentness to it. It's a better "work of art" than the Breaking bad, no doubt. By that I mean The Wire could be translated more easily into other forms of art without losing what makes it great. Imagine an adaptation of The Wire as a novel, movie (or series of movies), or a play. With care, these adaptations might themselves be great.

That said, I do think that people sometimes overlook flaws in The Wire. And I'm not talking just about season five (which I didn't think was significantly worse than season four, although I admit it's been awhile since I've watched either.) For example, consider the almost complete lack of interesting, well-rounded female characters. Yes, some of this is due to the subject matter (few drug gangs will be run by women, and female cops are greatly outnumbered by their male counterparts). Contrast this with a show such as "The Sopranos", which managed to have a number of superb female characters despite similar crime/police plot elements. There is simply no female character in The Wire anywhere near as well-developed as Carmella Soprano or even Dr. Melfi.

Then there's Brother Mouzone, a cartoon of a character whose best use is to make Omar seem less over-the-top by comparison. When they team up, we get a cinematic John Woo movie scene. undecided

Compared directly, Breaking Bad is not much better in
this regard. The male characters are more numerous and well-written (in general) than the female characters.
However, the show is about 90% Walter's story, 9% Jesse's story, and 1% Other. In other words it isn't trying to tell a sweeping, intricate, woven-layered story involving various groups and echelons of power in a city. When you tell the story of a city (and not just one or two particular people) then the relative lack of representation of a group is glaring. If you're just telling the story of one or two people, then focusing almost exclusively on those two people isn't a flaw. (Unless they're boring or lack depth. However, I don't think that is the case.)

But as a straight-up work of drama, Breaking Bad is the better of the two.

I like both, for different reasons - but would probably take GOT to a desert island over either.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by landuseact: 12:20pm On Aug 28, 2014
While I appreciate the arguments that have been goin back and forth about the inclusion of BB, the wire nd GOT on d imdb top 5 list, I think we are ignoring the elephant in the room. Am I the only one that finds it laughable that True Detective that just finished its 1st season (anthology series or not) is already included on that list? At least let's have 2-3 seasons to judge na! Its even nos. 2!! Meaning if BB wasn't there sef it would have jumped soprano, the wire and GOT straight to nos. 1. See I respect imdb o bt dts just some load of crap.

1 Like

Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 1:14pm On Aug 28, 2014
landuseact: While I appreciate the arguments that have been goin back and forth about the inclusion of BB, the wire nd GOT on d imdb top 5 list, I think we are ignoring the elephant in the room. Am I the only one that finds it laughable that True Detective that just finished its 1st season (anthology series or not) is already included on that list? At least let's have 2-3 seasons to judge na! Its even nos. 2!! Meaning if BB wasn't there sef it would have jumped soprano, the wire and GOT straight to nos. 1. See I respect imdb o bt dts just some load of crap.

Witty post. grin grin

Well, like you'd already acknowledged yourself, True Detective is an anthology series -- meaning each season is a completely independent story.

For my part, I'd say True Detective is a fantastic show that may not be for everyone. I also love the usual shows that make it to the top of people's best-of lists such as Breaking Bad, The Wire, Rome, Arrested Development etc... But I don't think I could "rank" them, since each is unique in its own way. I don't see how one could compare flaws from this show to the flaws in that show and put them in some kind of sequential order.

Were I to play the devil's advocate, I suppose the best way to determine which was "best," with "best" being an arbitrary qualifier, would be to compare longevity and consistent quality; i.e., did the show maintain its best attributes through the entire run, was it cancelled prematurely or did it taper off by the end as the good-idea well ran dry (The Simpsons (top of mind every time), Dexter, Lost or Scrubs to name a few).

If I had to argue in favor of Breaking Bad being #1, I suppose the main reason would be because all five seasons were of such high quality that the show never seemed to taper off in quality like the others. There were a few story arcs here and there that were a bit weaker than others, but the overall plot was so strong that the rest didn't matter.

Bottom line, True Detective deserves to be up there because of its excellent writing, performances, visuals and musical score that never ceases to creep me out as I'm watching. I just hope the series ends as well as it started and that future seasons maintain that level of awesomeness.
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by OohMpa: 2:45pm On Aug 28, 2014
First of all, true detective is third on the list not second....

Secondly, IMO, true detective shouldn't make the 9+ rating. 8.9 would be fair but putting it among tv series like The Wire, Breaking Bad, Rome, GOT and Sherlock is kinda an insult.

The storyline is captivating and directing was sublime but the script had really long scenes that weren't eye popping plus more time was spent explaining the series than solving the case. Woody and Mccoughaney were the people that upped those ratings with their acting but ooh Mpa easily scores the series an 8.8 or 8.9

P.S: Arrested Development shouldn't have crossed 8. The last. 2 seasons deserve a 5 sef.....undecided
Re: 66th Emmy Primetime Awards (2014): The Official Thread. by RayMcBlue(m): 4:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
True Detective runs slow and steady without ever seeming to drag. Even minor characters get room to breathe, and seem independently alive; the briefest scenes seem to imply life beyond the frame. The acting by Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson is off the charts. The writing and the concept, by series creator and novelist Nic Pizzolatto, undulates from effectively brash soliloquies to penetratingly nuanced moments carried by sparse prose.

True Detective proves to be everything the HBO marketing has promised it to be: a gorgeous, stylized and dark exploration into the worst parts of the human psyche. The crime they're investigating often takes such a back seat to the show's tricky structure and the all pervasive angst you may once again wonder what exactly HBO has against the notion of narrative urgency. But be patient with this slow-burner of a disturbing, demanding drama. These detectives are truly fascinating. A true Masterpiece. The 9.4 IMDb rating is well deserved.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Chidi Mokeme Returns As Host Of Gulder Ultimate Search 10 / BBNaija: Ilebaye Warns Bryann As They Clash (Video) / Who Has Watched A Man Called God Season 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 90
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.