Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,906 members, 7,806,643 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:40 PM

Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. (2611 Views)

Wife Quarrels With Husband, Dumps Six-month-old Baby On Waste / A Cheating Husband Is Not The Worst Thing That Can Happen In Marriage. / Did This Happen In Your Family While Growing Up? (Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by nurey(m): 11:47am On Aug 17, 2014
This is how my mum manages her own situation

1. You must always have a cup or tin for measuring food to cook, so if someone will not eat out of it you know how many cups to deduct from it.
2. Always check the freezer for leftovers, e.g if beans is there you can cook small rice to complement it and vice versa.
3. There is always someone in the house who is always hungry or too lazy to cook or doesn't mind leftovers find who that person is and always associate that person with left overs.
4. You can always give leftovers to neighbours, guard etc but make sure it is well packaged.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by oieda: 12:18pm On Aug 17, 2014
All you need is a good fridge (better deep freezer) (effectively working, though the power situation in Nigeria), a microwave and some plastic takeaways. :-)
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Stillfire: 12:57pm On Aug 17, 2014
ifyalways: Strict discipline. . .teaching by example.

Cooked food stored in the freezer MUST be consumed before cooking any new thing. No junks,juices(unless home made) when there is food in the house. Keep everyone's left over in the fridge, microwave and force the person to eat it for next day/meal. Kids would only cry,pull stunts but when they see you wont give in,they comply.

Get a generator that can power-on your freezer.

I have kids and this works for me. Plain old discipline and rules. shikena

You don kill me be that. angry grin
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by ifyalways(f): 1:16pm On Aug 17, 2014
Stillfire:

You don kill me be that. angry grin
Lol. Sorry ooo.

Nobody throws away or reject food in my house. You eat whatsoever is placed in front of you . No questions. cheesy
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Richy4(m): 1:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
Your solution is just deep freezer and constant power supply.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by greatgod2012(f): 11:28pm On Aug 17, 2014
ifyalways:
Lol. Sorry ooo.

Nobody throws away or reject food in my house. You eat whatsoever is placed in front of you . No questions. cheesy

but there will sometimes some exceptions ma?
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Nobody: 8:51am On Aug 18, 2014
It isn't easy not to have wastage in a home especially when children are involved but it could be minimized. Get a measurement cup for food that can't be stored in the freezer for long after being cooked. Let everyone take the quantity they can finish, no left overs.

In my home, we take the portions we can finish. If I catch you waste food. Next time I will make sure u take half of the portion you normally eat. Though for now I have a stable power supply in my area, so any left over food is stored and eaten later.

The key thing is that cook the quantity you can finish. And let everyone finish what they dished. Enforce discipline on children, meaning no changing mine after the food has been cooked. Ify's ways look harsh but I tell you it is the best way. I remember when I was growing up, there was no separate food for anybody. Whatsoever is being served is what everyone will eat, so I didn't have a choice but to eat it whether I like it or not. In this case, there was no wastage in our house then.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by ifyalways(f): 10:47am On Aug 18, 2014
greatgod2012:

but there will sometimes some exceptions ma?
Yeah.

When one is not very strong, you go easy on them.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 18, 2014
D children must have particular foods they lv, prepare more of that.
As for u tayour, ur assss need to flogged for wasting food.
If u can't discipline urself, I wonder how u will discipline d kids tongue
Abeg, where road to ur house? grin
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by taryour(f): 1:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
moca: D children must have particular foods they lv, prepare more of that.
As for u tayour, ur assss need to flogged for wasting food.
If u can't discipline urself, I wonder how u will discipline d kids tongue
Abeg, where road to ur house? grin

Hmmmm my sister,my own issue sef tire me ooo. As am typing this am munching on samosa and that's what have been eating since morning o,I never chop correct food. I cooked yam and egg stew this morning o but I never taste am,only hubby and the kids ate.

Most times I just loose interest in the food when am done cooking. Hubby don talk talk talk.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Nobody: 2:50pm On Aug 18, 2014
taryour:

Hmmmm my sister,my own issue sef tire me ooo. As am typing this am munching on samosa and that's what have been eating since morning o,I never chop correct food. I cooked yam and egg stew this morning o but I never taste am,only hubby and the kids ate.

Most times I just loose interest in the food when am done cooking. Hubby don talk talk talk.

It seems u r d picky type.
Hv seen some like that.
Concentrate on what hubby and d kids like. Better that way.
Small quantity does it.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by DukeNija(m): 12:17am On Aug 19, 2014
Ujujoan: Get a Dog!

Case Closed!
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by EfemenaXY: 9:24am On Aug 19, 2014
ifyalways:
Lol. Sorry ooo.

Similar rule in my home...est as much as you want BUT don't waste my food!

My youngest son has even learnt to seal up any excess in a plastic take-away container and store in the deep freezer. The only exception to that rule is for soups. Any left over is best flushed down the toilet. embarassed
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Nobody: 9:30am On Aug 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:
Similar rule in my home...est as much as you want BUT don't waste my food!
My youngest son has even learnt to seal up any excess in a plastic take-away container and store in the deep freezer. The only exception to that rule is for soups. Any left over is best flushed down the toilet. embarassed

Gbam, Its good to start them early. I will sit with you for 2 hours throw all your tantrums but that food you must eat it oh.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by tpia1: 9:32am On Aug 19, 2014
Food industry regulations give expiry dates for food, after which you run the risk of food contamination.

However, different places may have different practices.

But a general rule of thumb is if food has stayed past a certain period, you dispose of it.

Especially with all these gmo foods which are not organic.

Same reason why the law requires food providers to not store food beyond certain stipulated times.

When you see mold on your rice, or if it starts to draw like okro even if its in the fridge, throw it away, don't say because of how things are done in nigeria, you must eat it.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by tpia1: 9:36am On Aug 19, 2014
And try the smell test- if it doesn't smell fresh, then neither will you.

Only certain foods like stockfish are exempt from this rule.

Oyinbos know the risks involved in eating food, that's why they tend to be more particular about what they eat.

If you're trying to cut down on waste, probably cooking less food would help, as others have stated.

Freezing too, I guess.
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by EfemenaXY: 9:45am On Aug 19, 2014
aisha2:

Gbam, Its good to start them early. I will sit with you for 2 hours throw all your tantrums but that food you must eat it oh.

Lol!

But I don't force them to eat, if they don't want. That would only create "food issues" for them, especially for the very young ones. Last thing I want to do is make meal times a battle ground. I remember I used to worry when they were toddlers that they'll starve themselves to death, but my/their health visitor assured me that children wouldn't starve themselves and would eat when hungry... And that forcing them would only encourage them to "act" up.

The key is to introduce variety and a healthy selection. Hard concept to adopt as a mum, I know but it works for my two year old daughter. I used to fret over her pickyness but was assured that her weight was absolutely fine. Sigh...they go through stages...today's favourite becomes next week's no-no.

I also find that sitting together as a family at the table during meal times works wonders. cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 19, 2014
EfemenaXY:

Lol!

But I don't force them to eat, if they don't want. That would only create "food issues" for them, especially for the very young ones. Last thing I want to do is make meal times a battle ground. I remember I used to worry when they were toddlers that they'll starve themselves to death, but my/their health visitor assured me that children wouldn't starve themselves and would eat when hungry... And that forcing them would only encourage them to "act" up.

The key is to introduce variety and a healthy selection. Hard concept to adopt as a mum, I know but it works for my two year old daughter. I used to fret over her pickyness but was assured that her weight was absolutely fine. Sigh...they go through stages...today's favourite becomes next week's no-no.

I also find that sitting together as a family at the table during meal times works wonders. cheesy cheesy

I say sit with them because one has the habit of refusing to eat but immediately you buy snacks he is suddenly hungry so eat your food and have a snack, throw all the tantrums you want but you will eat.
The older one has outgrown it sha and now na me dey complain
Re: Food Waste. Does This Happen In Every Home? Please How Did You Sort It Out. by EfemenaXY: 7:22pm On Aug 19, 2014
aisha2:

I say sit with them because one has the habit of refusing to eat but immediately you buy snacks he is suddenly hungry so eat your food and have a snack, throw all the tantrums you want but you will eat.
The older one has outgrown it sha and now na me dey complain

Haha!

I'd always heard that teenage boys can eat like soldiers and used to think it was an exaggeration. Now I'm experiencing it live, I concede. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed grin

Re: snacks...little miss does that too. Negotiating with a two year old can be a Herculean task, so I just keep snacks out of sight. You know the saying: Out of sight is out of mind... cheesy

God bless our homes sha. smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pre-wedding Pix Of Two Lovely People / Re-preciousgirl: She Came Here With her issue And You Guys Start Insulting / (updated, they all died)Black Cockroach Is Killing Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.