Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,052 members, 7,807,158 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:28 AM

How Good Is God? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Good Is God? (16160 Views)

Have You Ever Just Sat And Thought About How Good God Is? / Is GOD GOOD TO YOU THIS YEAR / Is "God" Of The Old Testament Satan? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Good Is God? by Revolva(m): 8:39am On Aug 24, 2014
Nice post.....sometimes i wonder if God really exist the way they potray him to be...sef..but think about it...how can God e so good and kind loving to bring evil to this world..to test his children......so we r mugu na...abi

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is God? by MrDoGood(m): 8:47am On Aug 24, 2014
can't say bt i knw GOD is very good

chk dis thread out and laff a little
https://www.nairaland.com/1871033/sex-vs-football
Re: How Good Is God? by patostation(m): 8:48am On Aug 24, 2014
Look out: perhaps there may be someone who will carry you off as his prey through the philosophy and empty deception according to the elementary things of the world and not according to Christ (Colossians 2:8. Compare Act 17:18, 1Cor 2:13).

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Infomizer(m): 8:49am On Aug 24, 2014
Billyonaire: In absolute truism, there is no good and evil. Everything works towards singularity. Think about earthquake, for victims of the cataclysmic natural tectonic re-alignment it is evil, but within the cosmic creativity, its core goal is to alignment of the san adreas fault, a sequence that can only make the planet better.

So in essence, Cosmic Infinity codenamed God by religion is neutrality. Both good and bad is of same source. That source is what you call God....2 sides of the same coin.
Word!!! My thoughts exactly!
Re: How Good Is God? by kadas01(m): 8:52am On Aug 24, 2014
The Truth is very simple but man has chose to complicate It!

TRUTH IS: The "Immeasurable Goodness" of GOD ALMIGHTY brought "everything created" into "being"!

And "THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR" Said....."Let There Be Light"!!!.......

The above testifies that THE GREAT CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH "does not and would never know evil"!! There is "nothing" like "evil" existing around "THE ALMIGHTY HIMSELF"!

HE is, and remains "Goodness" Personified!

Shalom!

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Nobody: 8:55am On Aug 24, 2014
Go watch "Mega mind" I think that's the perfect answer to your question.

No one will be crowned a champion without defeating an opponent. In other words "in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God"

Now looking at that you will understand God was just there and was bored that he had to create all for fun or to keep busy. Now if you read further you will understand everything was heavenly but if there was no evil how will Adam and Eve understand that God is good and the Almighty since there no one rebelling him? If you go further you will wonder what the forbidden fruit was doing in the Garden of Eden if it wasn't there to fool man and for those who thinks the forbidden fruit they ate is sexx please read this

Genesis 3:22 And the LORD God said, Behold ... lest he put forth his hand, and take also of the tree of life, and eat, and live for ever

Now it really makes me wonder why the tree of life was created. I personally think it was designed for Adam and Eve to eat so they could know even thus understand the greatness of God else they would have been forgiven.
Re: How Good Is God? by 1stola: 9:02am On Aug 24, 2014
finofaya:

If you don't know the answer, just say so. Or try to make an informed guess.

Logic is used on God all the time. How do you convince yourself that there is God? You probably tell yourself that life is too complex to not be designed or that we must have been caused by a superior being. These involve application of logic. Without such rationalizations, you would have no reason to prefer God to a spanner. So it is not correct to say that using logic on God never works out well.

Besides, how do you explain your preference for a particular religion over another? All religions give their Gods various, usually differing properties. Without using logic to discriminate between what properties God should or should not have, you would be left with no option but to believe in every God. Or arbitrarily choose one.

All I'm trying to do is determine the properties of God.
Re: How Good Is God? by shigoslim(m): 9:38am On Aug 24, 2014
@OP God created both Good and Evil.

Evil can only befall man if disobey the will of GOD, this evil is created by God to punish man for his disobedience .

Good can only befall man when he start keeping, obeying the will of GOD , is then man will realize that GOD is good.

Evil befall king Nebunezacky and turn to animal eating plant for good seven days because he disobey the will of God. In other words the picture is clearly shown that God create both and good and bad (evil) for man to justify that God exit, and to keep his will. Though man is band by flesh, but God gave us sufficient grace that is Jesus Christ.

I will relate it to preaching of BIBLE, did your know that evil befall the Israelites when they disobey God, but were later relief when they came to GOD.
Re: How Good Is God? by Amadaz(m): 9:44am On Aug 24, 2014
chrisviral: I think your number 2 points said it all.
Without evil, there will be no good, for something can only be good in relation to another!
We can say an aeroplane is the fastest means of transportation because we are comparing it in relation to cars, animals and foot...

So God is the creator of both Evil and Good.
God even has an evil spirit (or created them, something like that)
1sam 16:14
Now the Spirit of the LORD had left Saul, and the LORD sent a tormenting spirit that filled him with depression and fear.

Another translation said
Now the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD terrorized him.

So I also want to believe that when God was creating Devil, he knew that devil will rebel, for without Devil tormenting us, I don't think we as humans would have sought for God the way we are doing today, Devil was created for a purpose.
Again in Jesus situation, note that he knew Judas was going to betray him but he never said a word, why that the purpose of his coming would be fulfilled.
So yeah God created both evil and good.
Is 45:7
I form the light and create darkness, I bring prosperity and create disaster; I, the LORD, do all these things.

Last bullet:
Is 45:11

"This is what the LORD says-- the Holy One of Israel, and its Maker: Concerning things to come, do you question me about my children, or give me orders about the work of my hands?

So in other words whether Bad or Evil, never question God!
superb write up. But somewhere in the bible reads that far be it from God that any evil comes Him. The bible is hard to understand
Re: How Good Is God? by tjones007: 9:47am On Aug 24, 2014
in the beginning when man was created. I don't think they could distinguish between good and evil. Even when they where naked they felt no shame. And God instructed them not to eat from the tree of knowledge of good and evil. After the fall of man. This is why when man is born we could distinguish what is good from what is bad.

And you asking if God is Good and Evil. Even when job questioned God. God showed up and said "who is this that darken my counsel with words without knowledge" job 38:2.

Now every readers embrace yourself and answer these question.

Where were you when good and evil when created?
What purpose was good and evil created for?
Where were you when the tree of knowledge of good and evil was planted in the garden of eden?

To the op who am I to question God about good and evil.
All I know is he can do all things and no plans of God cannot be thwarted

I stand in the awe of God

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by datola: 9:58am On Aug 24, 2014
Whatever the situation, whether we see it bad or good God remains good.

God is the good , all the time!

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Nobody: 10:07am On Aug 24, 2014
If God does really exist, he is a big time fool for creating the devil. He is a manipulator and worse than a tyrant. He should be stoned to death and burnt to ashes.

Unfortunately such an entity only exists in a Christianised mind angry

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:22am On Aug 24, 2014
Amadaz: superb write up. But somewhere in the bible reads that far be it from God that any evil comes Him. The bible is hard to understand

Yeah bro, I have read that part too, you know why I'm not surprised, the bible say, it's a two edged sword, in other words it can mean to different things!

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by Tunguy01(m): 10:27am On Aug 24, 2014
Ya ! ., God is good bt nt enough 4 liberians nd turning his back on Nigerians
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:27am On Aug 24, 2014
Infomizer:

So, as a father, you can burn your child eternally, so as to correct him, yeah?

I don't think it's really God's plan for his children to burn eternally, that's why he sent his Son.
See God is un-changeable, a feature like that comes with great responsibility, for God to think something and rethink it at another time, is changeable, which he can't do.

I think God thought of Hell and Gbam! Hell appeared for sinners, and he was oh why children, what have you made me do, and he repented why he created Man, that's statement is the bible was an indication that he was bittered for creating Hell for Man, so he sent his Son (he came himself) and showed you a way out to escape his anger, just believe and follow him and Hell will be empty.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by generalissimo(m): 10:29am On Aug 24, 2014
finofaya: I've been wondering what is meant by a good God.

God is good.

Okay.

The problem here is that "good" is meaningless without "evil". In order for good to exist, evil must exist, since a thing can only be good in relation to another thing.

Christians will say that God is good and man introduced evil after the fall. Or perhaps it was the fall of Lucifer that introduced evil. Either way, what it means is that God became good at the point of the introduction of evil. Before then, he was good in relation to what? Nothing. So he could not have been good.

In order for God to be good from the on set, there must have been evil somewhere, from the on set. There are four ways this could have played out:

1. God is neither good nor evil, he just is. In this case, good and evil only have meaning because we say they do. What we mean when we say something is good or evil is that we approve or do not approve of it. Nothing is objectively good or evil.

2. Assuming that one thing can be both at the same time, God is both good and evil. Good and evil exist objectively, and they are both embodied in God.

3. Assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is good, while another entity exists which is evil. This entity would be similar to God, (eg if God has a good personality, it would have an evil personality) in order to be the antithesis of God. Thus it should be sentient. Here, God is not responsible for the evil being. Instead something higher than both God and the evil being is responsible for both of them.

4. Still assuming that nothing can be both at the same time, God is evil, while another entity exists which is good. And something else is responsible for both of them.

Which one is obtainable? I have no idea. I could even be entirely wrong.

Any ideas?
Human beings(Adam and Eve), (at the point of creation) had no knowledge of the existence of GOOD or EVIL until they ate from the forbidden tree in the garden of Eden. They were just like baby who has no knowledge of those who can harm him or not. But when Human beings have come to know the existence and understand the difference btw the two, they concluded that the side in which God belongs is the GOOD which is true. God is the originator of all that is good because God Himself is good.
Re: How Good Is God? by GodMode: 10:31am On Aug 24, 2014
finofaya

You should read this:

Isaiah 45:7 (KJV)
I form the light, and create darkness: I
make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.

Hope this answers your question...

Read and study the bible or other holy books and u'll notice god and satan are just imaginations of humans.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:32am On Aug 24, 2014
macof:

God doesn't feel "happiness" or anger

There's always a balanced and fair reward for every act.

God does feel anger and happiness!
He was angry with Man, thus he repented why he created Man, he was happy with David's sacrifice, thus he stopped his wrath (angel of death) from finishing Isreal, he was happy with Solomon's sacrifice, thus he he him wisdom, God has emotions dear! He is no robot.

Their is not always an equal reward for every good or evil, God said, " I will have mercy on whom I will have Mercy" some sinners go unpurnished and some don't.

One thing I have leant is that, A fully comprehensible God is no God at all.
God is still God because No one man can fully understand God, he is inexhaustible!

3 Likes

Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:36am On Aug 24, 2014
macof:

Traits from father to son is not like Consciousness of God in man

This is a whole different ball game.

God itself is a body of consciousness, that manifest into human life among others

Hahahaha you make me laugh, it's all the same thing. And God created Man in his own image, he passed his trait to man, a consciousness of both good and evil, just God has the choice to kill Devil but he choosed not to because of a divine purpose, so also is me and you, with a choice not to patronise NairaLand but we choose to, Why? To fulfill the purpose of this thread! It is because you want to convince me, that is why your still posting me, so also the devil and hell was created by God because both are still fulfilling their purpose.

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by dasanchez1(m): 10:38am On Aug 24, 2014
justi4jesu: GOD is GOOD
example : GOD is GOOD Motors
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:47am On Aug 24, 2014
ifeness: If God does really exist, he is a big time fool for creating the devil. He is a manipulator and worse than a tyrant. He should be stoned to death and burnt to ashes.

Unfortunately such an entity only exists in a Christianised mind angry

Doctrine! You are actually against Doctrine and not God, for some one to hate God is the same as you hating yourself...

Don't you know "For ye are gods"
Denying God existence is like denying yourself, waiting for God to come and drive Ebola away and heal liberia and Nigeria is really funny to me, Infact it should be funny to any christian who understands God.

Did you know that in the bible, Jesus fled twice from danger?
Did you know that God had the power to fight for the Isrealite and David, but No he asked them to fight on their own?
Did you know that God could have made Joseph prime minister of Egypt but yet he allowed him to pass through slavery and other trouble before he got there?

If God prevented Ebola, how would me and you know that there is Ebola? How would me and you know that God actually stopped Ebola? Certain circumstances must prevail for God's power to be felt.

Shalom.
Re: How Good Is God? by GodMode: 10:53am On Aug 24, 2014
kadas01: The Truth is very simple but man has chose to complicate It!

TRUTH IS: The "Immeasurable Goodness" of GOD ALMIGHTY brought "everything created" into "being"!

And "THE ALMIGHTY CREATOR" Said....."Let There Be Light"!!!.......

The above testifies that THE GREAT CREATOR OF HEAVEN AND EARTH "does not and would never know evil"!! There is "nothing" like "evil" existing around "THE ALMIGHTY HIMSELF"!

HE is, and remains "Goodness" Personified!

Shalom!

God created evil
Re: How Good Is God? by GodMode: 10:54am On Aug 24, 2014
shigoslim: @OP God created both Good and Evil.

Evil can only befall man if disobey the will of GOD, this evil is created by God to punish man for his disobedience .

Good can only befall man when he start keeping, obeying the will of GOD , is then man will realize that GOD is good.

Evil befall king Nebunezacky and turn to animal eating plant for good seven days because he disobey the will of God. In other words the picture is clearly shown that God create both and good and bad (evil) for man to justify that God exit, and to keep his will. Though man is band by flesh, but God gave us sufficient grace that is Jesus Christ.

I will relate it to preaching of BIBLE, did your know that evil befall the Israelites when they disobey God, but were later relief when they came to GOD.

Man chooses to be good or evil... Obeying or disobeying the bible has no effect if the mind is neutral.
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 10:54am On Aug 24, 2014
An illustration that I believe would help understand more.

A father was so angry with his children, anytime he goes to work, he warns them to stay inside house and not to go out, for they might be corrupted, but anytime he returns from work, he meets no one at home, this kept on happening, untill one day, the man dug a a hole in front of his house, this hole cannot be closed ever again, and so this whole swallowed one of his children on his way out, out of sadness, this Man constructed a bridge over the hole, and told his children, for any of you to come back to the house, you have to pass through this bridge, any of you that fails to pass over the bridge will fall into the hole, some of his children obeyed and some didnt..

Should the Father be blamed?
Re: How Good Is God? by GodMode: 10:59am On Aug 24, 2014
chrisviral:

Doctrine! You are actually against Doctrine and not God, for some one to hate God is the same as you hating yourself...

Denying God existence is like denying yourself, waiting for God to come and drive Ebola away and heal liberia and Nigeria is really funny to me, Infact it should be funny to any christian who understands God.

Did you know that God had the power to fight for the Isrealite and David, but No he asked them to fight on their own?
Did you know that God could have made Joseph prime minister of Egypt but yet he allowed him to pass through slavery and other trouble before he got there?

If God prevented Ebola, how would me and you know that there is Ebola? How would me and you know that God actually stopped Ebola? Certain circumstances must prevail for God's power to be felt.

Shalom.

God and satan are imaginations of humans. They don't exist.

There is a creator who created good and evil and gives living and non living things freewill. The creator created everything to live to die.

2 Likes

Re: How Good Is God? by Infomizer(m): 11:05am On Aug 24, 2014
[quote
author=chrisviral]

I don't think it's really God's plan for his children to burn eternally,
that's why he sent his Son.
See God is un-changeable, a feature like that comes with great
responsibility, for God to think something and rethink it at another
time, is changeable, which he can't do.

I think God thought of Hell and Gbam! Hell appeared for sinners, and he
was oh why children, what have you made me do, and he repented why he
created Man, that's statement is the bible was an indication that he was
bittered for creating Hell for Man, so he sent his Son (he came
himself) and showed you a way out to escape his anger, just believe and
follow him and Hell will be empty.[/quote]

Apart from the fact that you didn't answer my question, you just lent credence to my stance on this issue. God, as described by you in the post, is an entity designed out of man's imagination. You think, he thinks. You plan, he plans, as well as possesses many other similar attributes though taken to superhuman proportions. That, my friend, is my point.
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 11:07am On Aug 24, 2014
GodMode:

God and satan are imaginations of humans. They don't exist.

There is a creator who created good and evil and gives living and non living things freewill. The creator created everything to live to die.

You choose to call him "The creator" and I and other Christians choose to call him "God".
My Bible said, to every Man his own, hold on tight to the creator and don't let anyone take it away from you, but as for me and my house, we will serve the Living God.
Re: How Good Is God? by Nobody: 11:09am On Aug 24, 2014
chrisviral:

Shalom.

Lol so I'm a GOD yeah? So why do you do you worship another god if you are a God yourself? You do not make sense at all!!!

1 Like

Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 11:14am On Aug 24, 2014
Infomizer:

Apart from the fact that you didn't answer my question, you just lent credence to my stance on this issue. God, as described by you in the post, is an entity designed out of man's imagination. You think, he thinks. You plan, he plans, as well as possesses many other similar attributes though taken to superhuman proportions. That, my friend, is my point.

If you read all my post, then you notice something, the one I know, I will quote the verse in the bible where it is written, the one I don't know, I suggest it to you.

I'm not telling God exist my mere hear say, no! I too use to doubt God's existence, I never believed it, but one day, I felt his power, I saw a miracle that did convinced me that indeed there is a God.

And then I tried him yet again in my own personal experience and and again he proved to me that he very much exist!
Put a knife on my throat, kill me, amputate me, I will never, I repeat never stop believing in God's existence, only a fool will see white today and tomorrow will say that there is no white, I have seen the works of God in my life and I will only be a fool to say that God is made up!
Thank you!
Re: How Good Is God? by Infomizer(m): 11:14am On Aug 24, 2014
[quote
author=chrisviral]An illustration that I believe would help understand
more.

A father was so angry with his children, anytime he goes to work, he
warns them to stay inside house and not to go out, for they might be
corrupted, but anytime he returns from work, he meets no one at home,
this kept on happening, untill one day, the man dug a a hole in front of
his house, this hole cannot be closed ever again, and so this whole
swallowed one of his children on his way out, out of sadness, this Man
constructed a bridge over the hole, and told his children, for any of
you to come back to the house, you have to pass through this bridge, any
of you that fails to pass over the bridge will fall into the hole, some
of his children obeyed and some didnt..

Should the Father be blamed?[/quote]
Yes he should. Why couldn't he just create a conducive indoor environment for his kids instead of taking unnecessary extreme measures.
Re: How Good Is God? by chrisviral(m): 11:15am On Aug 24, 2014
ifeness:

Lol so I'm a GOD yeah? So why do you do you worship another god if you are a God yourself? You do not make sense at all!!!

grin it's confusing right?
But it's not!
What do you understand by worship God? Answer and we will take it from there

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Pope Francis - It's Better To Be Atheist Than To Be A Hypocritical Catholic / How T.B Joshua Leads Nigeria’s Religious Tourism Drive / God Can Move Mountains? Phillipinos Betrayed? 10,000 Dead.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.