Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,896 members, 7,802,881 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 01:25 AM

The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” - Science/Technology (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” (18904 Views)

10 Most Strange Stars (known) In The Observable Universe.. / Top 10 Most Mysterious Planets (known) In The Observable Universe / Top 10 Most Intelligent Dogs In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 9:20am On Aug 21, 2014
We can conclude wit wat d oda guy said ealier abot law 7. Takin credit for d result
Blakjewelry:
I know. although I agree with you on the fact there a lot of scientists who were not given credit for their works but that's not to say most of them were cheated out their work. Been that those who gave credit to them do so for a reason, and and another thing is two scientist can be working on the same thing independently and its the one with the most accurate that Will considered. were I disagree with you is calling them overrated, no scientist will that is work is not dependent on work of his predecessors, it is the ability to pull down great works and established one that stand the test of time that one to be great.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Blakjewelry(m): 9:55am On Aug 21, 2014
sekzy99: We can conclude wit wat d oda guy said ealier abot law 7. Takin credit for d result
No he said it in a greedy sort of way.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 11:48am On Aug 21, 2014
Blakjewelry:
No he said it in a greedy sort of way.

Lolzzzzz
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Bonaventura(m): 6:20am On Aug 25, 2014
If these are overrated 'geniuses' please kindly tell us the real ones.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 6:48am On Aug 25, 2014
Bonaventura: If these are overrated 'geniuses' please kindly tell us the real ones.
Read d post again
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Afrobasic(m): 11:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
How can you say Einstein is overrated Are you kidding me I know this is your opinion but seriously, you need to read more on Einstein. He defined space-time as we know it today, it takes a complete genius to do that!
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2014
Afrobasic: How can you say Einstein is overrated Are you kidding me I know this is your opinion but seriously, you need to read more on Einstein. He defined space-time as we know it today, it takes a complete genius to do that!

Yea... I see ur point bt es still overated frm my point of view

Wud go deep into his works mayb I will see convinction or proofs e still overated
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Blakjewelry(m): 6:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
sekzy99:

Yea... I see ur point bt es still overated frm my point of view

Wud go deep into his works mayb I will see convinction or proofs e still overated
bros change this your mindset o. If einstein is overrated then the word genuis must have been redefined, or may be you need see through his eyez to realize he is god. Einstein is that man you will like to prove wrong but the fact is you cant.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 7:42pm On Aug 27, 2014
Blakjewelry:
bros change this your mindset o. If einstein is overrated then the word genuis must have been redefined, or may be you need see through his eyez to realize he is god. Einstein is that man you will like to prove wrong but the fact is you cant.

Hmmmmm
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by xtervaganza(m): 7:30am On Aug 28, 2014
Everyone knows Thomas Edison was never an inventor.

Just a businessman, a ruthless one
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 2:22am On Aug 29, 2014
xtervaganza: Everyone knows Thomas Edison was never an inventor.

Just a businessman, a ruthless one

Thanks.. On point
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Evathyst(f): 2:43pm On Sep 07, 2014
Hmnnn Hmnnn!
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 7:44am On Sep 12, 2014
Evathyst: Hmnnn Hmnnn!
grin
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by paranorman(m): 9:18am On Sep 15, 2014
Blakjewelry: Some of the names you mentioned of whom credit were not given are great minds with all due respect, but they were all pace setter and most of them were involve in basic science. When it come to advance science mostly about the universe, scientist like einstein, hawkings are gods. Some of the predictions of einstein requires super computer to test them, some prediction still hold till date i.e gravitational lensing and others still require more advance computer to test them.
By the way do you know america is building the first quantum computer that will be able to disable any form of security base on prediction of some of the genuis you called overrated?

whats a quantum computer? Answer me. I dont wanna use google. Make it simple too.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by paranorman(m): 9:21am On Sep 15, 2014
I am only quite cool with one on ur list, the artist that drew things and people gave so much hype on!
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Blakjewelry(m): 10:48am On Sep 15, 2014
paranorman:

whats a quantum computer? Answer me. I dont wanna use google. Make it simple too.
first of all i heard even the google you are thinking of using is building one. Now to the question you ask, quantum computer is based on the principle of quantum mechanics.
I will only go into how its works. A normal computer process data in bits, in form of ones and zeros. that is their form of data processing can only exist in either ones or zeros. A quantum computer form of data procession exist in dual state. I.e it does not need to choose between ones and zeros, it pick the right ones or zeros.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by paranorman(m): 11:37am On Sep 15, 2014
Blakjewelry:
A normal computer process data in bits, in form of ones and zeros. that is their form of data processing can only exist in either ones or zeros. A quantum computer form of data procession exist in dual state. I.e it does not need to choose between ones and zeros, it pick the right ones or zeros.
would'v wrote 'wow', but honestly, i didnt get it like i would want to. i am tryin to picture ow it works. I am not as dumb as you think bro, i am tryin to interprete this to get it once and for all.
For example. If i wanna program the way my electric bulb illuminates at home using a 2 bits system, i can get 4 states:
-00, off.
-01, dim.
-10, bright
-11, very bright.

So, how will this quantum computer select the 1s and 0s here..?
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Blakjewelry(m): 1:32pm On Sep 15, 2014
paranorman:
would'v wrote 'wow', but honestly, i didnt get it like i would want to. i am tryin to picture ow it works. I am not as dumb as you think bro, i am tryin to interprete this to get it once and for all.
For example. If i wanna program the way my electric bulb illuminates at home using a 2 bits system, i can get 4 states:
-00, off.
-01, dim.
-10, bright
-11, very bright.

So, how will this quantum computer select the 1s and 0s here..?
thinking of the best explanation to give. Using your example, in basic computer, your data exist in {00 01 10 11} but in quantum computer, your data is superimposed on each other {}. Thats why i said they are in dual state, so it is no longer a case of 00 01 10 11 as individual but as one.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by paranorman(m): 4:36pm On Sep 15, 2014
Blakjewelry:
thinking of the best explanation to give. Using your example, in basic computer, your data exist in {00 01 10 11} but in quantum computer, your data is superimposed on each other {}. Thats why i said they are in dual state, so it is no longer a case of 00 01 10 11 as individual but as one.
i get it now. I'l read sometin up on that later. That (may) is (be) the future of computin
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 6:07am On Oct 17, 2014
paranorman:

i get it now. I'l read sometin up on that later. That (may) is (be) the future of computin

Nice
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 6:08am On Oct 17, 2014
How do one keep up with dis computing evolution pace in our country
Blakjewelry:

Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Nobody: 2:26pm On Dec 06, 2014
sekzy99:
#1- Leonardo da Vinci
So who's the most super-overrated genius of all time? It's Leonardo da Vinci.
Da Vinci is universally hailed as one of the greatest geniuses of all time. He is celebrated for his art, inventions, science, and being multi-talented.
Leonardo da Vinci is the most overrated genius of all time mainly because of the many outlandish claims made about how much of a genius he was.
Many different sources have"estimated"Da Vinci's IQ to be over 200. This however is quite impossible. It's literally impossible that Da Vinci had an IQ of 200+. Whenever asked for legitimate reasons as to how Da Vinci could of had an IQ of 200+ people will usually respond with an appeal to authority saying something like"this expert said so"or"this person said so".
Da Vinci himself said"Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory".
In order to correctly estimate IQ you have to estimate how well someone would be able to answer the most difficult IQ-style questions.
I know that Da Vinci's IQ would not be any higher than 160 based on some simple observations:
-At least half of Da Vinci's inventions failed when tested, this does not show high IQ at all
-Da Vinci tried to learn mathematics but didn't really get very far
-Da Vinci was not a super-fast learner (the main sign of high IQ)
-Da Vinci's works do not require a high IQ
Nothing Da Vinci did demonstrates that he had an IQ of 200 or higher or even close to that. Da Vinci is so overrated that people think his IQ was higher than Newton's. But how could that be possible? Newton did things like solving thebrachistochrone problemin a few hours, but what did Leonardo da Vinci do to demonstrate his intelligence? I would be surprised if Da Vinci had an IQ higher than 140.
Da Vinci's inventions have also been grossly exaggerated. Da Vinci drew drawings and different people have personally interpreted some of the same drawings to mean different things. This has been the case with Da Vinci's supposed calculator. Objectors once again claim this device wouldn't actually work and isn't actually a drawing of a calculator, but people personally interpret it to be so.
This is also the case with Da Vinci's supposed helicopter. It's not really a helicopter, it's just an aerial screw. Helicopters are closer to Chinese bamboo toys than they are to Da Vinci's sketches. The media and others simply overrated Da Vinci so much they decided to call it a helicopter (some how).
Da Vinci never actually built or tested most of his inventions and at least half of them failed when tested. The vast majority of the models of Da Vinci's designs that really do work are modified versions of Da Vinci's designs or strange interpretations of what Da Vinci's designs mean. In order to get most of Da Vinci's designs to work modifications are necessary.
The more people test out Da Vinci's designs the more people find that his designs don't work. What's genius about coming up with failed designs? Basically anyone who has artistic talent, an IQ of 130 or higher, and spends all their time focusing on inventing new machines would be able to come up with lots of inventions (and having half of them fail).
Da Vinci being far ahead of his time is also an exaggerated claim. Da Vinci was born in the year 1452 AD, not the year 287 BC like Archimedes. Basically everything Da Vinci had done had been independently re-discovered without much effort by others within 200 years or less or had been done prior to Da Vinci. Since at least half of Da Vinci's designs didn't work I'm not sure how much it would have mattered if Da Vinci's writings had been discovered much earlier. During Da Vinci's time being ahead of your time didn't take much.
Other much better engineers like Heron, Archimedes, Al-Jazari, and Tesla are ignored in the media.
Al-Jazari for instance pre-dates Da Vinci by more than 200 years, he invented one of the first programmable analog computers, camshaft, segmented gears, and more. His book is much more detailed than Leonardo da Vinci's drawings, all of his designs work, and even though he pre-dates Da Vinci he is completely ignored in the media.
Or what about the super-genius engineer and mathematician Archimedes, who pre-dates Da Vinci by more than 1600 years. He is also ignored in the media.
Da Vinci is perhaps one of the greatest genius idiots of all time. For Da Vinci being so super-overrated that people think his IQ was 200+, for at least half of Da Vinci's designs not working, for his inventions being grossly overrated, and for the media and many others super-overrating him he ranks as the #1 very most overrated person of all time.
There doesn't even exist one other genius in all of human history as overrated as Da Vinci.
From my list we can see that the media is full of lies and exaggerations. Those are all my thoughts on who's overrated. I wonder how controversial my claims may become...
Dude, i don't agree with you on da vinci. the reason why he is popular is because he is the most talented person in the world. he had the power to draw what he saw both in his mind and in the world. he studied so many things in so little time. oh, he was a very fast learner. he just never focused on one singular thing in his life. it takes true genius to accomplish so much absentmindly. btw, he never tested his designs. which means, he was very creative.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 4:23pm On Dec 06, 2014
Do u really wanna argue abot dis
Teempakguy:
Dude, i don't agree with you on da vinci. the reason why he is popular is because he is the most talented person in the world. he had the power to draw what he saw both in his mind and in the world. he studied so many things in so little time. oh, he was a very fast learner. he just never focused on one singular thing in his life. it takes true genius to accomplish so much absentmindly. btw, he never tested his designs. which means, he was very creative.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Nobody: 8:52pm On Dec 06, 2014
sekzy99:
Do u really wanna argue abot dis
i'm very well aware that it is impossible for da vinci's iq to surpass 200. but, he is in the extraordinary genius. at seven, his right hand got injured, and before it healed, he had mastered the use of his left hand. effectively turning himself ambidextrous. it took me months to become ambidextrous despite the fact that i possess genius level intellect. also, da vinci was never a focused person. that makes him at least 40% less efficient than normal. what we celebrate in da vinci is his uniqueness. he spread his interests across vast fields of incredible contrast. he was a painter, writer, cartographer, engineer, and many more. and nobody has ever repeated that feat! what are YOU talking about?
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by tartar9(m): 12:30am On Dec 14, 2014
I agree with your list except einstein.in originality of tought none beats einstein,not even newton.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by ewosk: 3:32am On Dec 17, 2014
grin Ok op and the research team standing ovation for this...where d one wen una create, or coordinate or invent or copy to make life better for others....
Whether over, under or middle rated....these persons above affected the lives of people in their tym...and millions more till date are still benefiting and utilizing their works...what more Genius do u need...abi na Magician una dey fyd ni......
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 6:39am On Dec 19, 2014
Funny u!!!
ewosk:
grin Ok op and the research team standing ovation for this...where d one wen una create, or coordinate or invent or copy to make life better for others....
Whether over, under or middle rated....these persons above affected the lives of people in their tym...and millions more till date are still benefiting and utilizing their works...what more Genius do u need...abi na Magician una dey fyd ni......
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by samsard(m): 4:09pm On Dec 22, 2014
Gee, your list is over-rated.
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by Abcruz(m): 3:56pm On Dec 27, 2014
After all my research on ALBERT EINSTEIN THE GREAT,his achievement, works, principles are all worthwhile. i beg to disagree that he is over rated..
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 4:51pm On Dec 27, 2014
Abcruz:
After all my research on ALBERT EINSTEIN THE GREAT,his achievement, works, principles are all worthwhile. i beg to disagree that he is over rated..
hmmmm
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by vizier007(m): 10:48pm On Dec 27, 2014
nwaanambra1:

i always wonder why tesla is hardly recognized or mentioned despite all his genuine invention. In fact Thomas Edison stole his light bulb concept and claimed he invented it. Edison never invented any thing in his entire life - he is just a greedy businessman.

Do you know that tesla owned the patent for mobile phones, wireless electricity which he intended to distribute free energy to all human race (but FBI hide the document till today) and various other inventions that would av benefited humanity immensely! Just google Nikola Tesla and you will be amazed!
still dunno why those mo'fos decide to hide his notes...
and they are using some of his discoveries in their covert operations oooo..
Re: The Top 10 Most Overrated“geniuses” by sekzy99(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2014
vizier007:

still dunno why those mo'fos decide to hide his notes...
and they are using some of his discoveries in their covert operations oooo..
es a brain box

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Blobfish Voted "World's Ugliest Animal" / 42-year Old Panel Beater Redesigns Vw Beetle / Nature's Stylus! - The Carrot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.