Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,925 members, 7,806,685 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:47 PM

Help With Language For A Children's Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Help With Language For A Children's Book (476 Views)

Diwali Poems In Hindi Of 10 Lines | Diwali Poems In Hindi Language For Kids (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help With Language For A Children's Book by elenwriter: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2014
Hello,

I write children's books and I'm working on one that has a charcter who is from Lagos visiting her granddaughter in the UK.
My question is, what would a girl call her Yoruban Grandmother? The Grandmother is her father's mother.

My research leads me to think it might be Iyagba, but I can't tell for sure.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Elen
Re: Help With Language For A Children's Book by LarrySun(m): 12:24am On Aug 20, 2014
elenwriter: Hello,

I write children's books and I'm working on one that has a charcter who is from Lagos visiting her granddaughter in the UK.
My question is, what would a girl call her Yoruban Grandmother? The Grandmother is her father's mother.

My research leads me to think it might be Iyagba, but I can't tell for sure.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Elen
You can still stick with 'Grandma', except if you're writing the book in Yoruba language, or you portray the granddaughter as a stark illiterate in the book. However though, you can rather use terms like 'Big Mummy/Granny/Mama'.
Re: Help With Language For A Children's Book by elenwriter: 8:28am On Aug 22, 2014
Thanks for the help cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Purpose In Life 2 / Warri Ofego Episode Three / Call For Entries/submission (poets Only)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.