Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,738 members, 7,802,233 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 AM

"I Am Not My Hair" - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / "I Am Not My Hair" (1590 Views)

A New Look: Wanna Cut My Hair / How To Grow Nigerian Hair Long: My Hair Journey / My Hair Woes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Am Not My Hair" by divadarlin(f): 5:42am On Jul 24, 2006
Some of you might have heard India Aries new song with Akon. Talking about skin but most importantly hair. She talks about her struggle as a black woman with her hair . Not being able to keep it because the world did not consider it "good hair"
Good hair is almost white hair. I don't think we came out from our mother's womb realizing that God had blessed us with the misfortune of bad hair. We learned that when media images showcased 'next to no' beauties with naturally kinky hair, we learned that it wasn't good hair when we go to both black and white hair salons and have the stylist struggle to do our hair because they just didn't learn to work it in beauty school. We learned that by realizing 99% of the products out there are not made for us. The 1% include relaxers and products to take care of relaxed hair some what. Lots of natural sistahs I run into are always hunting for a hair product that would at least work. A stylist that could give them something other than an afro. If u look at some old historical pictures of white womens hair you will realize that with each passing decade their hair became better manged, softer and more free flowing.(i don't believe in evolution) It took years of research and development to get where their hair is now. How much money is spent on developing products for the natural kinky black hair Notice how they advertise they advertise new products on infomercials. They always get the mixed race girl as if to say "Hey we made it for you too."
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by luvu567(f): 5:49am On Jul 24, 2006
ive heard the song and i love it.
the part that really touched me was when she said "good hair means curls and waves, bad hair means you look like a slave"

im listening to it now
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by eveseh(f): 6:08am On Jul 24, 2006
LOL
am not my hiar too
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by ikamefa(f): 8:15pm On Jul 24, 2006
@ topic see permed hair , weaves, waves i don been through it all, i truly believe in indias song,like the song says am not my hair. right now my hair is all natural no more perms for me. in fact this summer its been boiling hot in NY and what i have on rite now is if you are familiar with old Nigerian hair styles threaded hair( kiko olowu in yoruba lang)

if ma friends don't like the way i look they should hit the road, i wonder why we sista are always trying to conform to this hype by big companies manufacturing this hair products.
i believe people should not be judged by their hair. find what best work for you and rock it
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by kellorah: 8:47pm On Jul 24, 2006
i perm my hair. i don't give a monkeys what anyone says!
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by iice(f): 6:06pm On Jul 26, 2006
I love the song and the message it sends lol
@Kellorah, India also said that at the turn of the century, its time 4 us 2 redefine who we b/are
U can shave it, wear dreads or wear it straight
Essentially what she's saying is that we are more than our hair or skin. What is important is the person within, our souls wink
I braid my hair but other wise i carry a fro wink wink
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by desiree(f): 11:56pm On Jul 26, 2006
kellorah:

i perm my hair. i don't give a monkeys what anyone says!

I second that, i do whatever i like with my hair, relaxers, highlights, weave. The operative word here is "MY" "MIO".
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by divadarlin(f): 4:13am On Jul 27, 2006
desiree:

I second that, i do whatever i like with my hair, relaxers, highlights, weave. The operative word here is "MY" "MIO".

I am not saying don't perm your hair, whites girls perm their hair, get weaves, color and also stay natural. But whatever they decide to work with they are guaranteed the most advanced innovations in hair care at their fingertips. Most of us black girls perm our hair because it easier to find people and products that can at least adequately manage our permed hair than our natural hair. Most black girls after cutting their hair(when its damaged) barely wait after 2 inches of growth to get a perm.
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by Nobody: 7:39am On Jul 27, 2006
phew. so good to be a guy. simply scrape the darned thing off! No stress!

Pele Girls, i never had girls in my family and it was not until i started mixing with my female cousins here in the states i realised what black females go thru just to make their hair look good.
I dont think most white girls do anything to their hair, my girlfriend does nothing to hers and its silky smooth.
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by benincitys(f): 12:15pm On Dec 06, 2008
i love my hair because is mine
Re: "I Am Not My Hair" by mohawkchic(f): 2:11pm On Dec 06, 2008
~Never heard the song before!! Just googled it,watched it on Youtube . . . The words are Indeed Inspiring!!

~Am having
"I Am Not My Hair Moment"

(1) (Reply)

Where Do You Shop For Clothes? / What Kind Of Gift Should I Buy For My Girlfriend? / Fashion Designer School In Ilorin

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.