Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,808 members, 7,806,257 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Is A Party Really Necessary? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is A Party Really Necessary? (1525 Views)

Is Hitting A Child Really Necessary In Correcting That Child???? / OMG! Small Children Rocking Themselves In Intimate Dance At A Party :o / Are Extra Lessons Really Necessary For School Children? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 2:08pm On Aug 19, 2014
Unlike the prejudice that has just be planted in your mind about the topic, we need to celebrate when the need arises, say graduation, wedding, etc but not burial ceremony, wtf!, celebrating what? I feel when a person, relatively advanced in age dies, we should be remorseful because that means that person will no longer be in our company (especially for those who love their grandparents), we no longer see their faces, talk and stuff
I feel the whole 'toku' as the biggest culprits, the ijebus call it is a waste of valuable resources. Last year, Lagos state government estimated that about N6 billion was spent on 'owanbe', as it is called, in a single year. WHAT! Six kini? I rest my case. Over to the house
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by SAMBARRY: 2:55pm On Aug 19, 2014
Well it boils down to individual preferences. Some people consider parties as a waste of money while some people like us see it as a big deal
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by Nobody: 3:29pm On Aug 19, 2014
It's a personal thing. Some like to party, some don't. Where I have a problem is when people are made to feel under pressure to throw a party. 'When is your child dedication? We dey come chop rice o. When is ur child doing one year birthday? Buy enough drinks o' and all such nonsense talk.

1 Like

Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by crackhaus: 3:37pm On Aug 19, 2014
I'm not a big fan of organizing parties or attending them, takes some extra motivation to get me into one...unfortunately.

2 Likes

Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 4:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
Gaggi: It's a personal thing. Some like to party, some don't. Where I have a problem is when people are made to feel under pressure to throw a party. 'When is your child dedication? We dey come chop rice o. When is ur child doing one year birthday? Buy enough drinks o' and all such nonsense talk.
azin, that kind nonsense
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 6:43pm On Aug 19, 2014
Just because you disapprove for whatever reason, doesn't mean people should not do what they feel they need to do at some point in time. As long as its not illegal.

Its wrong to dictate to others as if you are God, just trying to control their lives for no other reason besides bad belle.

If it even stops at bad belle alone, that is manageable, what I would strongly have issues with, are attempts to go beyond bad bele and physically harm people out of envy.

That, is a sin which anyone indulging in, will pay for.

Guaranteed.
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 6:46pm On Aug 19, 2014
Even the bible says people will be marrying, giving in marriage, holding whatever ceremonies they need to, till the end of the world.

So, if you are going to end the world because you do not like people having a party or whatever, go ahead and do so, but do not, under any circumstances, attempt to harm individuals because of your jealousy.

That will not work.
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by jumzzy448: 7:58pm On Aug 19, 2014
itstpia1: Even the bible says people will be marrying, giving in marriage, holding whatever ceremonies they need to, till the end of the world.

So, if you are going to end the world because you do not like people having a party or whatever, go ahead and do so, but do not, under any circumstances, attempt to harm individuals because of your jealousy.

That will not work.

hiannnn.......and where in the post did the op said he was going harm people?
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 8:50pm On Aug 19, 2014
You may want to wait until your wedding day or any occasion, after receiving threats of this type, to find out if the op and his/her ilk said they are going to harm people.
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 10:06pm On Aug 19, 2014
itstpia1: Just because you disapprove for whatever reason, doesn't mean people should not do what they feel they need to do at some point in time. As long as its not illegal.

Its wrong to dictate to others as if you are God, just trying to control their lives for no other reason besides bad belle.

If it even stops at bad belle alone, that is manageable, what I would strongly have issues with, are attempts to go beyond bad bele and physically harm people out of envy.

That, is a sin which anyone indulging in, will pay for.

Guaranteed.
better read well before saying nonsense. Did i say it's a crime. Well i know your type
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 10:09pm On Aug 19, 2014
itstpia1: Even the bible says people will be marrying, giving in marriage, holding whatever ceremonies they need to, till the end of the world.

That will not work.
celebrate even when you have other pressing matters? Aiit
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 10:13pm On Aug 19, 2014
itstpia1: You may want to wait until your wedding day or any occasion, after receiving threats of this type, to find out if the op and his/her ilk said they are going to harm people.
does the post seem like a threat to you?
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 1:10pm On Aug 20, 2014
BobbyDean: celebrate even when you have other pressing matters? Aiit

What exactly concerns you?

If people want to celebrate, what is it to you?

What are the pressing matters that concern you more than them?
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by afrobaby(f): 1:15pm On Aug 20, 2014
Gaggi: It's a personal thing. Some like to party, some don't. Where I have a problem is when people are made to feel under pressure to throw a party. 'When is your child dedication? We dey come chop rice o. When is ur child doing one year birthday? Buy enough drinks o' and all such nonsense talk.
You are damn right, I remember when my daughter's 1st year birthday was approaching and neighbours were asking me, not even asking sef, they were putting pressure on us to celebrate her birthday in a big way, I told them bluntly, no party until she is 5 years. 3 years living with this neighbours, they had never celebrated their kids birthday in a big way, yet they wanted us to. Personnally, I think party should be a personal decision, not to be enforced.

1 Like

Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 5:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
itstpia1:

What exactly concerns you?

If people want to celebrate, what is it to you?

What are the pressing matters that concern you more than them?

i didnt say they should not 'celebrate' and i didnt say those matter are pressing to me. Imagine spending an awful lot of money on burial ceremony when you have kids & family to cater for. And my post was just an opinion not a decree!
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 5:18pm On Aug 20, 2014
BobbyDean: i didnt say they should not 'celebrate' and i didnt say those matter are pressing to me. Imagine spending an awful lot of money on burial ceremony when you have kids & family to cater for. And my post was just an opinion not a decree!

if your culture calls for you spending such and such on burials, then you are free to refuse or do so, its your decision.

if the people involved know they have kids and family to cater for, what exactly is your own business there? Dont you have your own issues to face?

the only reason why i can understand your ameboish rants, is if you say there is a security or ebola problem involved in celebrations.

If thats the case, say it out in plain language instead of going on and on about nothing.
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2014
SAMBARRY: Well it boils down to individual preferences. Some people consider parties as a waste of money while some people like us see it as a big deal

What do you think?

I feel a little plushy wedding, up there in manchester or london, with a touch of purple or gold colour and 15-25 people in attendance would be enough to remain visible in our memories as perfect and binding....or don't you think? No crowd but just pure and serene class. Fresh green air. Lot of drinks and desserts dishes. Family, friends and smiles.

Let me know your opinoin. Time is runing out woman and we need to plan. Start making the calls now.

Btw have you decided on who will be your bestie yet?

cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 5:25pm On Aug 20, 2014
itstpia1:

if your culture calls for you spending such and such on burials, then you are free to refuse or do so, its your decision.

if the people involved know they have kids and family to cater for, what exactly is your own business there? Dont you have your own issues to face?

the only reason why i can understand your ameboish rants, is if you say there is a security or ebola problem involved in celebrations.

If thats the case, say it out in plain language instead of going on and on about nothing.

i think the post said something into your ears cos you argue as if i called your name. I get your point tho. But i think we should sometime follow our mind rather than some lame culture. #justsaying
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by itstpia1: 5:30pm On Aug 20, 2014
you've mentioned various things which to you, are reasons why some unnamed people should call off, or not do, whichever celebration you are talking about.

so, sounds like you are the culprit here.

your friend went further and included other occasions, etc, in your list.

in africa, living to an old age is cause for celebration, thats why you see people celebrating such. Whether they can afford to or not, is another matter, you did not think to make mention of that in your objections, instead you kept rambling vaguely and could not pinpoint what exactly you are trying to say.

personally, if something is not my business, i dont carry it on my head.
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by BobbyDean(m): 5:44pm On Aug 20, 2014
itstpia1: you've mentioned various things which to you, are reasons why some unnamed people should call off, or not do, whichever celebration you are talking about.

so, sounds like you are the culprit here.

your friend went further and included other occasions, etc, in your list.

in africa, living to an old age is cause for celebration, thats why you see people celebrating such. Whether they can afford to or not, is another matter, you did not think to make mention of that in your objections, instead you kept rambling vaguely and could not pinpoint what exactly you are trying to say.

personally, if something is not my business, i dont carry it on my head.

as for the culprit ish, no am not. No one is hawking anything here+ i only wrote against the burial stuff. You know what, whatever!
Re: Is A Party Really Necessary? by teemy(m): 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
I agree with the OP's views of not necessarily repainting heaving and earth all in the name of celebrations.

In our society where the 'bigness' of a person is being attributed to how much he/she can spend at a go without recourse to how such funds were gotten, it would seem as if the less 'affefelicious' ones are not well to do or atimes called stingy. At the same time if the occasion calls for it (and you have the money but not to a case of borrowing or crying after the party) by all means claim your forte. Different dishes for different folks.

(1) (Reply)

Please Help,what Would You Do If You Are The Husband...candid Advice Only.. / PHOTOS- Meet Couple Who Plans To Wed 38 Times In 83 Days In Different Countries. / He Is Confused And Urgently Needs Your Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.