Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,124 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:13 AM

Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet (691 Views)

Dele Momodu: Enough Of The Blame Game And Paranoia Of Buhari’s Cabinet / Buhari’s Cabinet: 33 Ministerial Nominees Fail Corruption Test-tribune / What Are The Three Arms Of Government And Their Symbols Of Authority? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet by Omachona: 9:35am On Aug 20, 2014
Lagos State Govt’s response to Ebola

I am writing riting these words as I watch what is probably the highest concentration of Europeans in the UK….at the exit/entrance point of thee Eurostar train at St Pancras Station, London.I am surrounded by recognisable Spanish, Italian, French and German dialects and a few unknown ones, probably Polish and Romanischte. No, I am not traveling to mainland Europe; I am waiting for a train to Leeds. As I sit amidst this voluminous human traffic, I marvel at the open borders and welcoming arms of this great country, England. In the last two hours, despite the media frenzy on Ebola Fever, 300 Nigerians have disembarked from a Virgin jet and walked unhindered and unrestricted into the UK, free to go and do as we please within the confines of the Law. BanYet, only a few days ago, a fellow African country, who shares no immediate border with us and whose Health Infrastructure is no where as developed as ours….has banned Nigerian passengers and Nigerian flights into its territory!If my Geography is correct, they may even be closer to the Ebola River than we are!A Nigerian proverb states that we should keep our eyes open while we shed tears. Indeed, we had some divine intervention (luck) with the index Ebola case….
The man collapsed and needed hospitalisation immediately on arrival on our shores, had he spent a few more hours in town or made it to his conference city the consequences would have been devastating. Equally, had there been no doctors strike, the likelihood would have been a transfer from the airport to the nearby LASUTH. His admission process in this teaching hospital environment would have caused more direct contacts and a greater public health hazard. But, aside from the luck, credit must be given to the Lagos state Government for its calculated, military style response, despite many limitations, to the immediate threat posed by this index individual to a city of 20 million and our nation of 120 million plus.

However, Governor Fashola and Dr Jide Idris swung into action thus: They crash-trained lab technicians and civil servants on how to enter a house and check for the Ebola virus. In four days, they turned an abandoned government building into an isolation unit. In a week they managed to find and cold-call scores of people from blue-collar workers to diplomats who may have touched the index case, Patrick Sawyer
Within days they procured necessary PPE gear to protect health workers. Coordinated response They put out a massive and coordinated public education and awareness campaign. All officials pushed the same message with the same emphasis, factual and unemotional. When the government received the passenger list for Mr. Sawyer’s flight, contact information was missing for 18 of the flight’s 48 passengers. All officials had were names and nationalities. Nothing else. The airline tracked down some passengers by calling the ticket agents that booked the flight, while government officials found others by contacting local Embassies. A crew of volunteers set about cold-calling people with the frightening news they might have Ebola. They sent nurses, lab technicians and civil servants into homes to deliver forms for potential carriers to fill out twice daily, asking about fever and other symptoms. They have recruited hundreds of volunteers, with good remuneration and life insurance, to handle complex contact tracing, barrier nursing, infection control and critical care management.
We had never treated one single case of Ebola in Nigeria before, and doctors were on strike.
The Lagos State authorities deserve some praise. According to the Wall Street Journal : “What is clear, though is that hundreds more lives could have been saved if more West African governments acted as Lagos did.”Of course, all this would not have been possible or achievable without the input of, and partnership with, the Federal Ministry of Health and its extensive national and international contacts. Prof. Onyebuchi and Dr Idris, both doctors themselves, have facilitated the early curtailment of the spread of this deadly virus. It is my view, and prayer, that Nigeria can and will contain Ebola.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2014/08/lagos-state-govts-response-ebola/#sthash.4yvjCFFe.dpuf

2 Likes

Re: Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet by Sibrah: 9:40am On Aug 20, 2014
Even in the face 2015 . . . I hope others can do same if it ever gets to them.
Re: Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet by Nobody: 9:50am On Aug 20, 2014
Honestly, the Lagos State Government indeed did well. I commend the quick response of the government especially the Governor Mr. Babatunde Fashola, Commissioner for Health Dr. Jide Idris and Commissioner for Information. I also commend the Bravery of First Consultant Hospital Team and Specifically its Senior Consultant and the Medical Team that held that Mad Man to ransom. let me also commend The Minister of Health Prof Onyebuchi Chukwu and President Goodluck Jonathan for their cooperation. Not forgeting the Nigerian People for their prayers, vigilance and support to the Government and the Medical Team despite external barriers from the USA and WHO. Kudo to us all. Like I always say, Ebola will not penetrate Nigeria. Flu failed, SARS failed, Ebola has failed.

Nigeria Has Come of Age
God Bless Us All
#Barcanista

2 Likes

Re: Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet by KnowAll(m): 10:12am On Aug 20, 2014
If only our nation can be run with such dexterity and effectiveness, then our nation would be the much talked about but elusive "El dorado" . Kudos to Fashola and his crew. We cannot discount the role played by the federal authorities for being pro-active on this one, tackling this monstrosity with the co-operation it desired to the envy and praise worthiness to Nigerians, Africans and foreigners alike.

Kudos to Fashola and his crew for being forthright from the onset
. cool

1 Like

Re: Kudos To Lagos State Government And It's Cabinet by tobtap: 10:22am On Aug 20, 2014
i commend lasg....

(1) (Reply)

Presidential Spokesman And His Twittering, Facebook Crowd / Ten Things I Would Want The President To Change / BOKOHARAM: PDP exonerate Sheriff, Ihejirika; says APC party a supporter of APC ideology

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.