Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,798 members, 7,802,557 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:17 PM

Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt - Business (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt (22222 Views)

Five South West Sates Owes 45% Of The Country's External Debt Stock by States. / States With The Lowest External Debt In Nigeria / Nigeria External Debt Stands At $6.67 Billion - Okonjo-iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by benswagtt(m): 10:06pm On Aug 20, 2014
aholiab:

why do you think with your third leg? if you don't suffer from the economic consequence, your children would. so show
some concern for our commonwealth pls
comment on nairaland wont help either... So do sumtyn nd dnt come here commentin..
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by emmatok(m): 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
GenBuhari: I doubt authencity of Thief Obasanjo's economic figures.
A man that can deceive the nation for 8 years that Abacha looted by conducting fake court proceedings abroad and organising the return of phantom "Loot" that nobody has ever traced in our treasury accounts is capable of any level of deception.

For instance I do not know if any economist can explain how Thief Obasanjo managed to devalue Naira 500% from N22=$1 to N135=$1 whilst hiking fuel prices from N20/litre to N75/litre and still maintain Inflation steady at around 10%??

It does add not add up- his finances needs to be fully audited.

You forgot that the CURRENT FINANCE MINISTER was involved in OBJ debt reetucturing .
You might not like OBJ, but give it him he did well concerning our debt.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by benswagtt(m): 10:08pm On Aug 20, 2014
1stola:
Chai!
see wetin mtn free 10mb dey cause, what a clown
its only fools dat quote me
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by Nobody: 10:37pm On Aug 20, 2014
she is also a World Bank stooge and deceptive to Nigerian now as she was during Thief Obasanjo's rule
emmatok:

You forgot that the CURRENT FINANCE MINISTER was involved in OBJ debt reetucturing .
You might not like OBJ, but give it him he did well concerning our debt.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 11:02pm On Aug 20, 2014
1stola:
so
SO you wont have a clue about what goes on in ND
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 11:12pm On Aug 20, 2014
SirShymex:

Blimey! shocked

Really and truly, I was going to cuss you out. however, based on our previous chat about trains in the UK on a next thread and the fact that you live in London(I rate my fellow Londoners) - I'll give you pass. I'm sure by virtue of living here, you should be acquainted with what good governance is. That's if you're not the type that just go to work, and lock yourself inside your house calling naij almost 24hrs a day, like those mums - or those freshies who're always begging it, trying to be more English than the Queen.

Now take a look at the links you posted - with tons of on-going(uncompleted) inconsequential projects, and pray tell me that's the type of life-saving rojects I was alluding to. Water treatment plant in Abuja - like really? Two km roads here and there - are you having a laugh? Even the worst state governors in naij have completed far better projects. And if I were to post the achievements of all the worst despots that ever ruled in Africa - their non-existent achievements would dwarf whatever you posted up there.

Stop messing about - post REAL PROJECTS!
Let me say something here, where ever I live, i would always be a Nigerian, I dont suffer that inferiority complex most people do, I will Rep 9ja even if I live in the moon, so if I go to work and lock myself up and call 9ja 24/7 what has that got to do with anything?Like I told one of my colleague at work, i dont live in the Uk, I just work here, I live in 9ja.I dont know howmany times a year you go back 9ja, but i do at least every 4th month,you wont believe how much some sectors have improved,them project listed where never heard of B4 GEJ, every leader is facing criticism, even OBAMA.I have seen ur mind is set to reject anything positive Im going to say as you have rightfully picked out teh Ongoing project and failed to site the completed ones as if you did not see them,if you check the last link you will notice it comes out state by state, so check ur state and see wa gwan there, Also like I told one poster on here B4, if you feel GEJ is the worst Leader we ever had I challenge you to name one i n the past that was better??

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by darlingbobo(m): 11:20pm On Aug 20, 2014
You no get sense at. Wake up please

yorke1: Atleast we are seeing the evidence of the money/fund in the transformation development agenda programmes of Mr. President. Is not as if the debt is rising without a corresponding increase in infrastructural development and positive transformation in the lives of Nigerians. GEJ is working, Nigeria is developing while haters keep on hating. GEJ till 2019.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by emiye(m): 2:04am On Aug 21, 2014
The increase in petrol price from 65 to 97 naira per litre in Jan 2012 was supposed to free more funds for the govt.

The 32naira increase in petrol price has failed to curtail govts borrowing, and the infrastructural growth fails to commensurate with the funds available.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by LeStylo: 2:21am On Aug 21, 2014
A break-down of the rising debt profile showed that Federal Government’s external and domestic debts amounted to N8.8 trillion or $57.030 billion as at the end of June 2014. Federal Government borrowing from multilateral Institutions amounted to $3.826 billion while loans from bilateral sources mainly China Exim Bank and Eurobond amounted to $2.537 billion.

This fact is more damning when x-rayed against the disappearance of a total of $67b from ECA and Reserves left by the Obj govt and almost totally depleted by the current govt. Interestingly, NOI has been the Finance egg-header for Nigeria for 13 out of 15.5yrs of pDP plundering rule of the nation.
Think!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by dvee2: 5:37am On Aug 21, 2014
erico2k2:
Let me say something here, where ever I live, i would always be a Nigerian, I dont suffer that inferiority complex most people do, I will Rep 9ja even if I live in the moon, so if I go to work and lock myself up and call 9ja 24/7 what has that got to do with anything?Like I told one of my colleague at work, i dont live in the Uk, I just work here, I live in 9ja.I dont know howmany times a year you go back 9ja, but i do at least every 4th month,you wont believe how much some sectors have improved,them project listed where never heard of B4 GEJ, every leader is facing criticism, even OBAMA.I have seen ur mind is set to reject anything positive Im going to say as you have rightfully picked out teh Ongoing project and failed to site the completed ones as if you did not see them,if you check the last link you will notice it comes out state by state, so check ur state and see wa gwan there, Also like I told one poster on here B4, if you feel GEJ is the worst Leader we ever had I challenge you to name one i n the past that was better??

You keep repeating project and sectors improving, list them. its not about coming to nija , can you list the projects and the sectors? can you equate them with the hundreds of billions of dollers generated?
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by lastpage: 5:45am On Aug 21, 2014
Finance Minister: But as at December 31, 2012 Federal Government’s external debt was $4.14 billion as against a total debt stock of both Federal and state governments of $6.5 billion. As at December 2013, however, the total stock of external debt was $8.821 billion indicating a rise of $556 million in the first half of 2014.

In other words, within ONE YEAR, this clueless Otuoke man DOUBLED NIGERIA's DEBT, from 4Billion to 8Billion! shocked shocked
Just look at the figures as posted by the Minister for Finance, even though he tried to befuddle us by stating the 3013 first and the 2012 later (but l have helped him re-arraigned it properly! wink )

Before you know it now, we will go abegging to IMF!
Does anyone remember the how Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), of General Babangida (as directed by the IMF),destroyed this country around 1983-1985?

Seems that is where this Jonathan's Govt is taking us back to!

Idrismusty97: I know of a country that has a $16 trillion debts smiley. That country debt/GDP ratio is around 100%! Ours is just over 12%. Although our government need to do something so even when we become a 1st world country it wouldn't be base on borrowed wealth.

Dont feel relaxed at all.
Factor-in the fact that we are an Oil producing nations, ...scratch ground small, "awoof 3million barrels of oil", at close $100/barrel, is what we get everyday! That is about $300 million EVERYDAY.... at least half of that (for expenses) goes to the nations coffers.....YET WE ARE STILL IN DEBT! shocked shocked

As much as l dislike "Obachanjo", l remember that he PAID OFF MOST OF NIGERIA's DEBT to the Paris club, before leaving Govt in 2007!

Now, within how many years, this Jona-Daft administration has created a mountain of debt for us!

*If you ask Govt to provide electricity by building power stations, they would quickly pass the buck and say 'PRIVATE SECTOR should provide the money
*Ask them to provide affordable housing, they say its the job of private sector!
*Ask the Govt to fund education, they would remind you that it is the job of the "Mega-Churches" to build Universities and Secondary schools!
*Even the health sector is crippled as Govt is still waiting for private Investors!
*What about our moribund refineries and the never ending "removal of subsidy" so that private sector can build refineries?
*Even to fund our gallant soldiers, they are still waiting for "private sector participation" (PPP) angry angry

The question that begs for an answer is thus: WHAT DID THAT SHOELESS EMBEZZLER THAT EATS #1 BILLION FOOD, DO WITH ALL THE BORROWED FUNDS, IF HIS GOVT CANT FUND ANY MAJOR DEVELOPMENTAL PROJECT?

Well, the answer is ....either "fresh air" or "living in bondage"!
Chose your "choice"

Truly, "There was a country"!

Lastpage!

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2014
emiye: The increase in petrol price from 65 to 97 naira per litre in Jan 2012 was supposed to free more funds for the govt.

The 32naira increase in petrol price has failed to curtail govts borrowing, and the infrastructural growth fails to commensurate with the funds available.

But it forced the dealers to make petrol available to everybody or jave you forgotten so soon how I ise to queue to but petrol at the station? Unless U dnt drive
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 7:15am On Aug 21, 2014
dvee2:

You keep repeating project and sectors improving, list them. its not about coming to nija , can you list the projects and the sectors? can you equate them with the hundreds of billions of dollers generated?
Generated from where?
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by Nobody: 8:23am On Aug 21, 2014
lastpage:

In other words, within ONE YEAR, this clueless Otuoke man DOUBLED NIGERIA's DEBT, from 4Billion to 8Billion! shocked shocked
Just look at the figures as posted by the Minister for Finance, even though he tried to befuddle us by stating the 3013 first and the 2012 later (but l have helped him re-arraigned it properly! wink )

Before you know it now, we will go abegging to IMF!
Does anyone remember the how Structural Adjustment Programme (SAP), of General Babangida (as directed by the IMF),destroyed this country around 1983-1985?

Seems that is where this Jonathan's Govt is taking us back to!

Dont feel relaxed at all.
Factor-in the fact that we are an Oil producing nations, ...scratch ground small, "awoof 3million barrels of oil", at close $100/barrel, is what we get everyday! That is about $300 million EVERYDAY.... at least half of that (for expenses) goes to the nations coffers.....YET WE ARE STILL IN DEBT! shocked shocked

As much as l dislike "Obachanjo", l remember that he PAID OFF MOST OF NIGERIA's DEBT to the Paris club, before leaving Govt in 2007!

Now, within how many years, this Jona-Daft administration has created a mountain of debt for us!

*If you ask Govt to provide electricity by building power stations, they would quickly pass the buck and say 'PRIVATE SECTOR should provide the money
*Ask them to provide affordable housing, they say its the job of private sector!
*Ask the Govt to fund education, they would remind you that it is the job of the "Mega-Churches" to build Universities and Secondary schools!
*Even the health sector is crippled as Govt is still waiting for private Investors!
*What about our moribund refineries and the never ending "removal of subsidy" so that private sector can build refineries?
*Even to fund our gallant soldiers, they are still waiting for "private sector participation" (PPP) angry angry

The question that begs for an answer is thus: WHAT DID THAT SHOELESS EMBEZZLER THAT EATS #1 BILLION FOOD, DO WITH ALL THE BORROWED FUNDS, IF HIS GOVT CANT FUND ANY MAJOR DEVELOPMENTAL PROJECT?

Well, the answer is ....either "fresh air" or "living in bondage"!
Chose your "choice"

Truly, "There was a country"!

Lastpage!
. Baba u re soooooo on point....dey feeel u. Sum ethnic group will reun dis country aground over ethnicism and sensationalism in govt just ordinarily because they feel its their turn to rule or whatever bt if u look at it closely we ave more igbos in critical sectors of present economy, we ave enough igbos forming d advisory think tank for d present administration. We can even see hw d mad goat Jonaidiot is so reluctant to remove dat aviation pest just because of pressure frm sum quaters unduly cos she is an igbo. Look at hw hausa minister of education was thrown without timing look at hw minister for defence was thrown away without notice erelu obada. See hw lamido was thrown to d dustbin cos of too much efficiency . For u to knw today igbos re the ruling dis country nt even jonathan. I'm also aware of d parasitic army generals also having oil coampanies sucking us dry. Bt wat maddens me mre is d nonchallancy nd unbrazen record breaking thieveing dat dey ave embarked on. U hardly see a removal of an igbo man or woman in govt. These is xactly wat u get wen an igbo race is in power. Common bandit dats wat dey are. Very greedy souls. I can smell dem frm a distance. Get me a nuclear reactor nd I swear I will wipe dis country outta xcistence nt even sepration. The sins of dis country quips me a lot dat I can never ever even ave a patience of seeing it split bt to see it burrrrrrnnnnnn. Nigeria land of d captive and of the oppressed. 5 steps media hyped foward 100 steps backwards. Tell me d grandest tin dat has ever happened to a nigerian individual apart frm dis inflation we face everyday nd apart frm dose demonic priviledged children we ave here on dis site whose mamas nd papas ave secured for deir generations juicy contracts for dere pockets. Ask me wat a common nigerian can be proud of if nt d fear of d unknown nt even d brainwashing of our religion who re nt even helping matters. Nigeria shall burn and burn and burn till it turns frum ashes to dust.....
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 10:56am On Aug 21, 2014
lowgeorge: . Baba u re soooooo on point....dey feeel u. Sum ethnic group will reun dis country aground over ethnicism and sensationalism in govt just ordinarily because they feel its their turn to rule or whatever bt if u look at it closely we ave more igbos in critical sectors of present economy, we ave enough igbos forming d advisory think tank for d present administration. We can even see hw d mad goat Jonaidiot is so reluctant to remove dat aviation pest just because of pressure frm sum quaters unduly cos she is an igbo. Look at hw hausa minister of education was thrown without timing look at hw minister for defence was thrown away without notice erelu obada. See hw lamido was thrown to d dustbin cos of too much efficiency . For u to knw today igbos re the ruling dis country nt even jonathan. I'm also aware of d parasitic army generals also having oil coampanies sucking us dry. Bt wat maddens me mre is d nonchallancy nd unbrazen record breaking thieveing dat dey ave embarked on. U hardly see a removal of an igbo man or woman in govt. These is xactly wat u get wen an igbo race is in power. Common bandit dats wat dey are. Very greedy souls. I can smell dem frm a distance. Get me a nuclear reactor nd I swear I will wipe dis country outta xcistence nt even sepration. The sins of dis country quips me a lot dat I can never ever even ave a patience of seeing it split bt to see it burrrrrrnnnnnn. Nigeria land of d captive and of the oppressed. 5 steps media hyped foward 100 steps backwards. Tell me d grandest tin dat has ever happened to a nigerian individual apart frm dis inflation we face everyday nd apart frm dose demonic priviledged children we ave here on dis site whose mamas nd papas ave secured for deir generations juicy contracts for dere pockets. Ask me wat a common nigerian can be proud of if nt d fear of d unknown nt even d brainwashing of our religion who re nt even helping matters. Nigeria shall burn and burn and burn till it turns frum ashes to dust.....
You are sooo disconnected from Nigeria to the tune of crimi ality.now tell me.whats the relationship between GEJ and the IGBOS? FYI Im not even and Igbo person.Damn ur hathred for the Ig os must ha e a CV or U are jst simply deluded in ur lil village that U ave got no sence of direction or the geographical regio s of the various ethinic groups in Nigeria
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by emiye(m): 11:01am On Aug 21, 2014
erico2k2:
But it forced the dealers to make petrol available to everybody or jave you forgotten so soon how I ise to queue to but petrol at the station? Unless U dnt drive

In ur mind, you have justified the rip off.

Where are the 4 greenfield refineries promised by the govt for increasing from 65 -97 naira? Was there no fuel scarcity this year. ?

I really feel sorry for most of you who covered your eyes of objectivity with primordial ethnic lens.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 11:15am On Aug 21, 2014
emiye:

In ur mind, you have justified the rip off.

Where are the 4 greenfield refineries promised by the govt for increasing from 65 -97 naira? Was there no fuel scarcity this year. ?

I really feel sorry for most of you who covered your eyes of objectivity with primordial ethnic lens.

Nop U cant justify any form.of criminality.Im trying to pick out the few positives from an already bad situation if you get me.Building refinaries by the FG would be stupid as it wont work.The private aector has to
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by emiye(m): 11:28am On Aug 21, 2014
erico2k2:
Nop U cant justify any form.of criminality.Im trying to pick out the few positives from an already bad situation if you get me.Building refinaries by the FG would be stupid as it wont work.The private aector has to

Dont defend the indefensible, except you are paid to do so.

A barrel of oil has stayed at over 100 usd for years now, that is a oil boom for you in jonathan administration. lipsrsealed

If debt is increasing astronomically during oil price boom, what will happen if there is a crash? embarassed embarassed

The brent oil price is currently at 102 USdollars per barrel, the lowest price in 14 months.

So much is going wrong at the moment than you can try to defend. It is a lost cause.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 11:38am On Aug 21, 2014
emiye:

Dont defend the indefensible, except you are paid to do so.

A barrel of oil has stayed at over 100 usd for years now, that is a oil boom for you in jonathan administration. lipsrsealed

If debt is increasing astronomically during oil price boom, what will happen if there is a crash? embarassed embarassed

The brent oil price is currently at 102 USdollars per barrel, the lowest price in 14 months.

So much is going wrong at the moment than you can try to defend. It is a lost cause.
So from what you are saying you support my view that we can only run Nigeria with monies generates from Oil revenue right?
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by Holuwathoby(m): 12:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
Mortgaging their children's future

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by marv1: 4:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
Borrow borrow without following up what it is being used for. Corruption is not stealing administratn. Only God knows what the debt profile would reach after his second term. God help nigeria.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by mikemodel24: 7:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
yorke1: Atleast we are seeing the evidence of the money/fund in the transformation development agenda programmes of Mr. President. Is not as if the debt is rising without a corresponding increase in infrastructural development and positive transformation in the lives of Nigerians. GEJ is working, Nigeria is developing while haters keep on hating. GEJ till 2019.
wat infrastruture be dat blackout for 58hours or poor federal road or low employment rate boi i beg go sleep
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by SenatorJames(m): 8:14pm On Aug 22, 2014
benswagtt: *dancin skelewu* hw e take concern ma future? Dats dia 4kin cup of tea!!!

It concern it alot.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by SenatorJames(m): 9:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
.....and how much will this debt rise to after 2015 election?

Nigeria government, killing the future of her youth since 19BC.
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by vanstanzy(m): 2:52am On Aug 23, 2014
Bazinga: PDP o. they want to bankrupt nigeria. 2015 is behind the corner, here is an advice for u all
APC will do worse things than PDP, they are all politicians& alike. Debt burden is international& because of man's natural greed there is no way to get out of it.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by Bazinga(m): 9:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
vanstanzy:
APC will do worse things than PDP, they are all politicians& alike. Debt burden is international& because of man's natural greed there is no way to get out of it.

lets revert to communism then. seems greed wont let democracy work in nigeria, lets copy chinese system of government. at least that way nigerians will be fairly treated
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by DAVE5(m): 2:26pm On Aug 27, 2014
erico2k2:
OK let me xplain more.if we borrow 50 trillion and our power sector become stable wo t U shoit up PDP?point Im trying to rais is debt is a must if development must go on.how and where do U want FG to ger the money to build roads.bridges and support various project.mind you the sole source of income for the payment of civil service os money derived from Oil sales which aint even enough

the nigerian govt's situation is different bro, there is almost no govt industry around anymore to create wealth (or payback the borrowed monies) 4 d govt cos theyve sold out almost all d income earning mechanisms for small CHANGE, its a diff tin if d govt has infrastructure on ground and borrows money which it can payback through it asset, meanwhile our oil reserve and returns only serves the belly of the few oppressors ohhh
Re: Nigeria Sinks Deeper Into External Debt by erico2k2(m): 9:22pm On Sep 02, 2014
DAVE5:

the nigerian govt's situation is different bro, there is almost no govt industry around anymore to create wealth (or payback the borrowed monies) 4 d govt cos theyve sold out almost all d income earning mechanisms for small CHANGE, its a diff tin if d govt has infrastructure on ground and borrows money which it can payback through it asset, meanwhile our oil reserve and returns only serves the belly of the few oppressors ohhh
Ok Agreed, name one country in the western world where teh Govt owns industry that generates wealth.little or none

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

The Used Clothes Business In Nigeria. / Akingbola File A Suit To Recover Intercontinental Bank / ATM in Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.