Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,772 members, 7,806,128 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

*update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please (1135 Views)

Thermostat / My Experience With Thermostat Removal / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

*update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 8:41am On Aug 21, 2014
Dear car gurus,

I've got a chevy Transport or Venture whose cylinder gasket got toasted after a while of using it in Nigeria and after replacement the mech advised to disconnect it as it isn't suitable for our clime because when its pluged in the radiator fan on works intermittently but when unplugged it works from the moment the ignition is turned on until its turned off.

However I noticed that the temperature gauge on the dash board isn't working and this is giving me cause for worry.should I leave it like the mech advised or revert back to manufacturers defaullt setting.

I also need someone to help me unlock the radio as it came wwith no manual and it shows locked.
Thanks for your help.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:45am On Aug 21, 2014
Issues with thermostat have been overflogged on NL cartalk. Restore your themostat and set your fans back to their original settings. Ensure you have no coolant leaks and car should run fine.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 11:55am On Aug 21, 2014
GAZZUZZ: Issues with thermostat have been overflogged on NL cartalk. Restore your themostat and set your fans back to their original settings. Ensure you have no coolant leaks and car should run fine.

Thanks a lot bro. Please how do I check for coolant leaks?
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
gaby:

Thanks a lot bro. Please how do I check for coolant leaks?

What do you have in your radiator? Coolant or water?
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 3:34pm On Aug 21, 2014
GAZZUZZ:
What do you have in your radiator? Coolant or water?

I've got water in the radiator tnx
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Lexusgs430: 5:12pm On Aug 21, 2014
gaby:

Beginning of your trouble. A vehicle running @ such high temperatures needs more than water to cool down (ice cream of the motor vehicle ie coolant is necessary and protects vital parts from rust)

1 Like

Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 8:55pm On Aug 21, 2014
gaby:

You can use water in an emergency but you should research and use the appropriate coolant in your cooling system.

I run distilled water in some of my cars but I add Redline Water Wetter and I monitor the system religiously.

Temperature in Texas runs into 120 degrees sometimes and I have never overheated.

Read up on this, return all the removed stuff back to the way the Chevy engineers designed them (proper coolant, thermostat, fan sensor, etc).

Unlike what some on here think, Nigerian is not Mars and if the vehicle does not overheat in the US it should not overheat in Nigeria.

The only problem in Nigeria is the quality of petrol and it's effect on the SMOG equipments.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 7:14am On Aug 22, 2014
CityNG:
You can use water in an emergency but you should research and use the appropriate coolant in your cooling system.
I run distilled water in some of my cars but I add Redline Water Wetter and I monitor the system religiously.
Temperature in Texas runs into 120 degrees sometimes and I have never overheated.
Read up on this, return all the removed stuff back to the way the Chevy engineers designed them (proper coolant, thermostat, fan sensor, etc).
Unlike what some on here think, Nigerian is not Mars and if the vehicle does not overheat in the US it should not overheat in Nigeria.
The only problem in Nigeria is the quality of petrol and it's effect on the SMOG equipments.

Many tnx boss. Please percentage of water to coolant should I do?

1 Like

Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 8:18am On Aug 22, 2014
gaby: Many tnx boss. Please percentage of water to coolant should I do?

50/50 mix ratio.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 8:42am On Aug 22, 2014
Dodge charger SRT 8 2010
6.1L Hemi
My thermostat works fine and I have never tampered with it
Coolant and water in the radiator
Yet my engine will eat if I don't turn on the Ac on a long drive
because the fan won't run unless the Ac Is on I never noticed until last week
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 10:57am On Aug 22, 2014
Siena:
50/50 mix ratio.

Thanks Sienna, you is da boss!!
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 11:00am On Aug 22, 2014
Readone35L: Dodge charger SRT 8 2010
6.1L Hemi

Thanks for your help bro I appreciate!
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 12:08pm On Aug 22, 2014
Readone35L: Dodge charger SRT 8 2010
6.1L Hemi

This is not normal.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by ZIMDRILL(m): 1:00pm On Aug 22, 2014
CityNG:

This is not normal.

dont rush to say its not normal

from what i have observed here most nigerians when they see the temperature gauge being on the middle they thing it is overheating when infact that the right average operating temperature

the question to ask is on which mark does the pointer points on the gauge
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

dont rush to say its not normal

from what i have observed here most nigerians when they see the temperature gauge being on the middle they thing it is overheating when infact that the right average operating temperature

the question to ask is on which mark does the pointer points on the gauge

It is not normal and nothing in my original post was a rush.

"the fan won't run unless the Ac Is on"

This is not normal and the temperature gauge should not have great fluctuation (noticeable fluctuations) between running the AC and not.

OP, this is not normal. I'm most certain that a switch is amiss.

Jump on a Dodge forum and ask on there instead of trying to recreate the wheel.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by JUO(m): 2:55am On Aug 23, 2014
I think is normal unless otherwise. on a high way my fan doesn't work because of the air flowing in and temperature will be around 80° but will come on in the city and stay between 90°-100°. lastly the fan will come on when I turn on the AC on highway
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:35am On Aug 23, 2014
CityNG:

It is not normal and nothing in my original post was a rush.

"the fan won't run unless the Ac Is on"

This is not normal and the temperature gauge should not have great fluctuation (noticeable fluctuations) between running the AC and not.

OP, this is not normal. I'm most certain that a switch is amiss.

Jump on a Dodge forum and ask on there instead of trying to recreate the wheel.

like i said before we need the figures 1st

most people here think that being on the middle is overheating when it is the normal operating temperature

so without the figures its all guess work
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 23, 2014
ZIMDRILL:

like i said before we need the figures 1st

most people here think that being on the middle is overheating when it is the normal operating temperature

so without the figures its all guess work

I am secure in my automotive troubleshooting skills to go out on a limb and don;t require figures 1st.

1) Modern automobiles do not have have a temp gauge that swings that wildly that turning on AC changes the temperature of the cooling system noticeable by a simple dashboard gauge.

2) OP stated that one of his cooling fans does not work until the AC is on. The condenser cooling fan may not be activated if the ac is not turned on but if when it comes on the temperature goes lower then something is amiss.

No need to criticize my troubleshooting, state yours and leave it at that. OP can use the best one that he feels will help him.

PS: Just to be clear, I am not saying he should start dismantling his cooling system, but enough data ha sheen presented to assure me that he needs to escalate his research into finding the cause of the fluctuating temp gauge. Hemi engines are not cheap, even in the US.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 11:57am On Aug 23, 2014
JUO: I think is normal unless otherwise. on a high way my fan doesn't work because of the air flowing in and temperature will be around 80° but will come on in the city and stay between 90°-100°. lastly the fan will come on when I turn on the AC on highway

Do you drive a 2010 Dodge Charger SRT8 with a Hemi engine?
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by GAZZUZZ(m): 4:52pm On Aug 23, 2014
CityNg is right I did have a chat with readone35L about the issue a week back, the car actually overheats without the a.c on. I told him to check his CTS. Hope you guys will give it a rest now.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by sultaan(m): 6:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ: CityNg is right I did have a chat with readone35L about the issue a week back, the car actually overheats without the a.c on. I told him to check his CTS. Hope you guys will give it a rest now.

or clean dust off radiator first ,but fn should come on for that year he should have check gages light on when hot ,but the fuse box and fan relays should be looked at could have been damages when he said it almost caught fire. a wire might be exposed/damaged causing thiese probs
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 6:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
sultaan:

or clean dust off radiator first ,but fn should come on for that year he should have check gages light on when hot ,but the fuse box and fan relays should be looked at could have been damages when he said it almost caught fire. a wire might be exposed/damaged causing thiese probs
Hmmm i have never thought of that incidence relating to the fan not working without switching on the ac
i think the fuse is fine
i gave her a comprehensive scan non faults of course no engine light on
...When you switch on the engine the two fans stay stationary ...

when you drive two long distance or you keep pulling the engine hard
the temp gets hot almost going to red
until i switch on my ac ,then the two fans work ,temp starts falling normal
i use my ac always not minding fuel economy with the 6.1l engine

until few days back when i noticed
angry angry angry
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 6:55pm On Aug 23, 2014
GAZZUZZ: CityNg is right I did have a chat with readone35L about the issue a week back, the car actually overheats without the a.c on. I told him to check his CTS. Hope you guys will give it a rest now.

Please let everybody have a pill of chill

i'll check cts
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 9:49pm On Aug 23, 2014
I've said this before and it may need repeating.

Not all faults in the vehicle will register code. This however doesn't mean that the vehicle is in optimum operating mode. Some fault only register if a certain level of parameter is met. For example the CEL may only come on if the car senses 3 occasions of "knock" in x amount of miles.

Other codes may also exists for other brands but may not exist for another brand. So just because brand A has a P0101 code (as an example) does not mean that brand B should also be able to squawk that code too.

Additionally, I recommend to those NL that have performance vehicles to invest in OBD2 scan tools that are PC based and that offer live scanning. I will have as such with me in December in Ibadan for those that may want to actually see what goes on in their vehicles as they drive. It will literarily show you what sensors are doing and what valves are opening.

Good luck to the OP on solving this.

PS: I'll also have one that is specific to VW/Audi.

Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by Nobody: 1:05am On Aug 24, 2014
CityNG: I've said this before and it may need repeating.

Not all faults in the vehicle will register code. This however doesn't mean that the vehicle is in optimum operating mode. Some fault only register if a certain level of parameter is met. For example the CEL may only come on if the car senses 3 occasions of "knock" in x amount of miles.

Other codes may also exists for other brands but may not exist for another brand. So just because brand A has a P0101 code (as an example) does not mean that brand B should also be able to squawk that code too.

Additionally, I recommend to those NL that have performance vehicles to invest in OBD2 scan tools that are PC based and that offer live scanning. I will have as such with me in December in Ibadan for those that may want to actually see what goes on in their vehicles as they drive. It will literarily show you what sensors are doing and what valves are opening.

Good luck to the OP on solving this.

PS: I'll also have one that is specific to VW/Audi.

Gonna need one for sure
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 4:37am On Aug 24, 2014
Thanks guys for all the contributions. I've reverted all connections back to manufacturers setting and I'm quite ok and more confident driving seeing my temp gauge is working. The only thing remaining is finding the recommended coolant type.

These are my findings after the default reversion:

(I)I allowed engine run idling for about 15 minutes and noticed the temp gauge rise to about 3/4 of the gauge indicator and then the cooling fan engaged itself and immediately the temp gauge fell back mid-line which I'm sure is the normal level.

(2)When I ran engine idling and turned on the ac the fans came on immediately.

From my observation the cooling fans won't come on until the engine heats up to about 75-80 degrees Celsius or when the ac is turned on.

Still on the lookout for the recommended coolant.will appreciate any advise on that also.
Re: *update*Help With My Chevy Transport Thermostat Please by gaby(m): 10:17am On Sep 10, 2014
Did a trip from warri-abuja on 03/09 after having the thermostat reconnected and it was sweet sail down to Abuja,however on my return trip from Abuja on 09/09 I noticed my temp gauge hit the red and I parked,was lucky not to have gotten my engine head toasted.

I allowed engine to cool off for about 30 mins refilled radiator and continued only to notice same yet again all within Okene. At this point I decided to undo the thermostat which means the cooling fan sets in motion immediately and constantly without any recourse to engine temp that was how I could drive without anymore troubles back to my destination.

Now my question are these::

Do I just connect the cooling fan directly and if this will have any negative impact on engine and overall motor perfomance or simply get another thermostat for this engine in relation to our tropics here and if yes to second question what should I look for on a new thermostat.
Many thanks gurus for your professional inputs.

(1) (Reply)

VW Golf Radio Code / Pic-pls My Car Is Showing This Sign. / Gearbox Problem On Toyota Highlander 2004

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.