Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,472 members, 7,808,702 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:40 PM

9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! (10880 Views)

Two Families Battle Over Paternity Of Girl, 16 / Paternity Fraud In Nigeria: Are You Your Baby’s Daddy? / Should Men Get Paternity Leave? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by OLUJOSHINS(m): 12:15pm On Aug 21, 2014
1. Kids will learn more about compassion.
It was in July that columnist Kozo Hattori decided to try a new experiment — one that taught him to be compassionate above all else. Deseret News National reported on Hattori’s experiment, citing researchers and experts who found that learning about compassion and empathy are essential to helping kids grow into more humane and giving people. By staying home with the kids and teaching them from those early days, dads can help spread that message to their children.
“Efforts to boost empathy and compassion among youths may be important, considering research that shows it has been on the wane in American youths,” the National reported.

2. Dad will be more directly involved in child care.
The Organizations for Economic Co-Operation and Development released a study in January 2013 that found dads who spent more time with their kids — at least two weeks after birth — are more likely to be involved in their care in the years to follow.
“The study noted that fathers’ use of paternity and parental leave was largest when leave was well-paid and designated specifically for fathers,” CNN reported.

3. Dad gets a break from work.
While there are certain benefits kids receive when their dads take time off, fathers are gaining something from it too. John Rossheim, a career expert, wrote for monster.com that taking paternity leave is something many men will do if they full understand the benefits of it. And one of those benefits is getting the time off and being able to step away from the office for a couple of weeks.
Whether and how much working fathers continue to labor while on leave “varies per person and according to circumstances,” said Maryella Gockel, a strategy leader in accounting a Ernst & Young. “If you’re in the middle of a big (business) deal, the transition to leave may take longer.”

4. Mom gets a break from child-rearing.
Wahm.com — a work-at-home mothers information website — expressed one important part of dads taking paternity leave. It offers moms a break from always doing the child-rearing. Stresses and complications that a mother experiences in the early days of raising a child can be relieved by the dad stepping into that role, wahm.com noted.
“If the father were able to get paternity leave, it would take a huge burden off your shoulders,” reads wahm.com. “You would still be able to help in the raising of your child, but the father would be there to help change diapers, feed the baby and make sure they are down for another nap. This would enable you to focus a little longer on your work and get some projects out of the way (or make a business call without worrying about being interrupted).”

5. It will change the perception of dads.
Do dads get a bad rep? Critics have said in the past that dads aren’t as caring of their kids, but that changes when they take paternity leave, Time magazine reported. So paternity leave will actually offer men a chance to learn from feminism, relieving dads from having to stick to the stereotypes that culture has often associated them with — being uncaring and not as dedicated to kids as the mother, Time reported.
“Paternity leave is a practical lesson in why men should be feminists, not just because it’s right and fair but because feminism — in its simplest sense of treating people equally and not constraining them with artificial gender roles — benefits men too,” wrote James Poniewozik for Time.

6. Dad gets an enriching experience.
Craig Melvin wrote for MSNBC about his experience as a dad who took paternity leave. He explained that he was lucky to get the benefits of paternity leave from his employer, and he was even more blessed to learn what it’s like to be a father from the get-go.
Melvin noted that dads sometimes have to play catch up with learning about their kids and their habits, attitudes and patterns. But with paternity leave, he was quick to understand what his child would be like.
“Having experienced it first-hand, I would argue that a modest investment that encourages fathers to start off on the right foot is a more than worthwhile. We all pick up the tab down the road when children whose fathers weren’t there start growing up,” Melvin wrote

2 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by SAMBARRY: 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
L to the I and A with the R and the S
tongue

excuses to keep on yashin the wife that the place has not healed
tongue

4 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Godmystrength: 2:13pm On Aug 21, 2014
SAMBARRY: L to the I and A with the R and the S
tongue

excuses to keep on yashin the wife that the place has not healed
tongue

hahahaha!!! grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Kanwulia: 4:37pm On Aug 21, 2014
No AFRICAN man should get paternity leave!
Except he was PHYSICALLY present in the delivery room and did the OMUGUO himself! kiss
You don't reward idleness with more IDLENESS! kiss

12 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by raiszy2k(m): 1:10am On Aug 22, 2014
?
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by fastguy10: 5:03am On Aug 22, 2014
Ok
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Nobody: 5:06am On Aug 22, 2014
When I have a kid, I will participate actively in everything concerning their baby-sittng I so much love kids.

4 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by alaladakosta(f): 5:07am On Aug 22, 2014
Payed paternity leave, else na hunger go send am outt.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Blaqsmith(m): 5:09am On Aug 22, 2014
I just dey come from vigil,if I reach house I go comment.
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by megabyte2(f): 5:09am On Aug 22, 2014
Paternity leave then what will he be doing
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by KillerBeauty(f): 5:09am On Aug 22, 2014
Alright. Where are the remaining 3 points
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by pussypounder(m): 5:17am On Aug 22, 2014
bb
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by popson1st: 5:18am On Aug 22, 2014
What is this one saying?
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by devigblegble: 5:27am On Aug 22, 2014
I GUESS THIS IS FOR MARRIED COUPLE ONLY, not my F business
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by flyca: 5:28am On Aug 22, 2014
No man should be given any paternity leave except with endorsement from the wife! kiss

The wife should decide if the man is useful at home based on his previous records of home and child care tongue

Otherwise no need to keep an lazy man at home and create more work for the woman sef angry

6 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Danjunior(m): 5:43am On Aug 22, 2014
Kia. Only me
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by esof1(f): 5:55am On Aug 22, 2014
@ op, why do u think maternity leave is given? If u know why it is given, then u wouldn't talk abt paternity leave.

Anyway, maybe paternity leave would be given when men begin to breastfeed.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Pavore9: 5:56am On Aug 22, 2014
Hmm....l hope this does not apply to a man who is polygamous with wives still bearing children! No one should be made to pay for the lifestyle choice he has made.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Nobody: 6:06am On Aug 22, 2014
Paternity leave for naija.
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Godmystrength: 6:08am On Aug 22, 2014
Pavore9: Hmm....l hope this does not apply to a man who is
polygamous with wives still bearing children! No one should be made to
pay for the lifestyle choice he has made.
lol. It means from one paternity leave to another. He might even spend a whole year on pat leave.

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Missmossy(f): 6:11am On Aug 22, 2014
4. Mom gets a break from child REARING! This is so damn hilarious"grin"cheesy hahahahaha

Whats that supposed to mean? Does a woman rear her kids agains? Chai! Smhsadsad

If a man gets a paternity leave makes it easy for a wonderful bond to be created between father and son or daughter.

Moreover not all men get so involved in child nurturing anyway,if the man in question wishes to be actively involved in his baby's growth,then good idea.

3 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by dridowu: 6:42am On Aug 22, 2014
Ok
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by erico2k2(m): 7:01am On Aug 22, 2014
This would be good xpecially now women want equal rights

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by erico2k2(m): 7:02am On Aug 22, 2014
esof1: @ op, why do u think maternity leave is given? If u know why it is given, then u wouldn't talk abt paternity leave.

Anyway, maybe paternity leave would be given when men begin to breastfeed.
Ok lets get your rational explanation why marternity leave is given plz
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by segradino(m): 7:12am On Aug 22, 2014
Very funny...

Good news for smart phone users, u can get d best data plan(MTN and Etisalat) for ur internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less for as low as N400 for 250mb...check dis out on this thread. www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391662
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by lastpage: 7:28am On Aug 22, 2014
Kanwulia: No AFRICAN man should get paternity leave!
Except he was PHYSICALLY present in the delivery room and did the OMUGUO himself! kiss
You don't reward idleness with more IDLENESS! kiss

So ALL Non-African fathers are physically present in the delivery room?

What a daft supposition you just made?

And to think not being present in a delivery room ............is termed idleness? shocked shocked
Jeez, damn the "witch" who robed you of your intelligence, if you had any, ab initio?

Lastpage!

5 Likes

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by DICKtator: 7:41am On Aug 22, 2014
how can most peeps say men don't deserve paternity leave?

such a selfish statement!!

most of the points outlined by the op isn't even strong a enough!!

i mean, men do most of the in-and-out bedmatics, all the dooouugghhy,misssioonaary,siide phooock,toouchh-your-toes, carry and phoockk. just to make her get that yoyoyo feeling!!!

and to think we would go 5 rounds(if she is a nymphomaniac!!)

even after the fifth, if she suuuckks the d "dead horse", it suddenly comes alive again!, and the beat goes on.............

this is a enough work ,even though it is pleasurable,it is fun-work!

kudos to the Lagos state government but 10 days isnt a enough considering the "sex-work" done!!!

grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by YourCoffin: 7:43am On Aug 22, 2014
I'm not married but I need paternity leave. My dogs need me at home. OP, abeg, how do I go about getting one?
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by romzyxy(m): 7:48am On Aug 22, 2014
no no no.......paternity leave doesn't fit we africans.You don:t expect me to be at home for the sake that i want ro clean diapers n all those stuff.perhaps it's not mandatory.

datx y maid is available.
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by AMAKAVIOLA: 8:06am On Aug 22, 2014
Mtchwwwwwww... nonsense!
Re: 9 Reasons Dad Should Also Take Paternity Leave! by Nobody: 8:16am On Aug 22, 2014
romzyxy: no no no.......paternity leave doesn't fit we africans.You don:t expect me to be at home for the sake that i want ro clean diapers n all those stuff.perhaps it's not mandatory.

datx y maid is available.
LAZY MENsad NO WONDER MUST KIDS ARE NOT CLOSE TO THEIR FATHERSsadSOME FATHERS DON'T REALISE THAT THEY ALSO NEED TO BOND WITH THEIR KIDSsad

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

As A Best-man / Chief-bridesmaid / Why Do The Poor Have More Babies? / What Meal Have You Prepared This Morning For Christmas?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.