Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,595 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:59 PM

Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola (871 Views)

Dr. Ameyo Adadevoh Dies From Ebola Virus / Nigerian Doctor Recovers, Discharges From Quarantine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 12:20pm On Aug 21, 2014
Dr Kent Brantly, the American doctor who
contracted the deadly Ebola virus in Liberia while
working as a missionary in the country will be
released from Atlanta's Emory University
Hospital today August 21st after being
successful treated.
According to the spokesperson of the hospital,
Vince Dollard, Dr. Kent's blood samples came
back negative for the virus after undergoing
proper screening for two days. Dr. Kent is
expected to give a statement regarding his
discharge later today at a news conference
before leaving the hospital.
Dr. Kent and another US missionary Nancy
Writebol contracted the disease while working to
fight the outbreak in Liberia. After they
contracted the disease they were taken to an
isolation unit at Emory University Hospital,
where they were treated with the experimental
drug, ZMapp.

lindaikeji..com/2014/08/us-doctor-with-ebola-to-be-released.html?m=1

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 12:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
this people are always perfect at what they do?
what is the secret?dont tell me its zmapp
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by Nobody: 12:35pm On Aug 21, 2014
nigerianvenom: this people are always perfect at what they do?
what is the secret?dont tell me its zmapp

He was injected with serum from an African survivor of Ebola.,and had extensive supportive care(i.e...IV fluid,et al) in addition to the zmapp

2 Likes

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 1:33pm On Aug 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

He was injected with serum from an African survivor of Ebola.,and had extensive supportive care(i.e...IV fluid,et al) in addition to the zmapp

ok.tans for d info but how cum the say there is no cure yet people who were positive to ebola now are becoming negative
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by Nobody: 1:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
nigerianvenom:

ok.tans for d info but how cum the say there is no cure yet people who were positive to ebola now are becoming negative

Again,to put it simply....it is all in the immune response which is determined by genetics.

People whose immune system (roughly put) responds strongly to Ebola.....survive the virus (and luckily remain immune....meaning they will never ever catch it again).

Of course....ebola epidemics usually end with good preventive measures (once the virus cannot reach its victims...it dies out).

2 Likes

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 1:49pm On Aug 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Again,to put it simply....it is all in the immune response which is determined by genetics.

People whose immune system (roughly put) responds strongly to Ebola.....survive the virus (and luckily remain immune....meaning they will never ever catch it again).

Of course....ebola epidemics usually end with good preventive measures (once the virus cannot reach its victims...it dies out).

so therre are actually peeps dat are immune to ebola?
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 21, 2014
nigerianvenom:

so therre are actually peeps dat are immune to ebola?

Yes....that is the only good news in this crisis.

But immune people actually fall into these categories.

1.There are those whose cells lack a certain receptor. Because of that, the Ebola virus cannot enter their system....so no matter what happens they won't be a victim.(Same thing is seen in some HIV positive people....who will never fall sick because even though they have the virus....their CD4 cells lack a certain receptor....door if you will....that the HIV virus needs to enter the cell....so as a result they will never fall sick.).

2.As I said earlier....people whose immune system responds in a certain way to Ebola virus infection in their body....and does so strongly....will survive the virus...(and as I said....will not fall sick again if exposed to the virus again.....like those who survive chicken pox virus infection for example).

2 Likes

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 2:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Yes....that is the only good news in this crisis.

But immune people actually fall into these categories.

1.There are those whose cells lack a certain receptor. Because of that, the Ebola virus cannot enter their system....so no matter what happens they won't be a victim.(Same thing is seen in some HIV positive people....who will never fall sick because even though they have the virus....their CD4 cells lack a certain receptor....door if you will....that the HIV virus needs to enter the cell....so as a result they will never fall sick.).

2.As I said earlier....people whose immune system responds in a certain way to Ebola virus infection in their body....and does so strongly....will survive the virus...(and as I said....will not fall sick again if exposed to the virus again.....like those who survive chicken pox virus infection for example).

thank u so much bro.i've practically stop handshake due to this fear.
is any test one could do to know if he or she is immune to this ebola?
just anxious and curious
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by Nobody: 2:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
nigerianvenom:

thank u so much bro.i've practically stop handshake due to this fear.
is any test one could do to know if he or she is immune to this ebola?
just anxious and curious

As far as I am aware....no test for now sadly.

Much of what we know about immunity to Ebola comes from research done on infected people....and on animal subjects.

2 Likes

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 11:46am On Aug 24, 2014
bushdoc9919:

As far as I am aware....no test for now sadly.

Much of what we know about immunity to Ebola comes from research done on infected people....and on animal subjects.

my doc,i'm back to u wit more question.
read this;

The fiancé of late Justina Ejelonu, the First
Consultant nurse who died on August 14th from
complications from the deadly Ebola Virus has
been discharged from the Ebola Isolation Centre,
Sahara Reporters reports.
Dennis (pictured left) who turned himself in for
observation after falling ill 14 days after his
fiancée Justina died, was certified free of the
virus and discharged from the Isolation center
yesterday evening August 23rd after tests
carried out on him showed he didn't have Ebola.
Narrating how Justina fell ill and later
died, Dennis said Justina, [b]who was two months
pregnant when the illness started, began
vomiting on him [/b]and then collapsed in his
presence before he immediately rushed her to
the hospital. He said while she was admitted at
the isolation center, he hung around the hospital
occasionally going into the Ebola ward to cater
for her as nurses and doctors abandoned her to
her fate at the treatment center.
Justina was the nurse who attended directly to
Patrick Sawyer at the First Consultant Hospital

even after @bolded occured,the guy didnt still contact the virus.is it as a result of his higher immune system?
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by Nobody: 1:56pm On Aug 24, 2014
nigerianvenom:

my doc,i'm back to u wit more question.
read this;

even after @bolded occured,the guy didnt still contact the virus.is it as a result of his higher immune system?

Possibly....it is possible his immune system was resistant.

At the same time....people who get Ebola get it from prolonged contact with the patient(without wearing protective clothing properly).The guy did not have prolonged contact with her....so he would not have gotten it.

1 Like

Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by phreakabit(m): 2:00pm On Aug 24, 2014
Thank God for his life. Now want to know if he is willing to donate some of his blood.
Re: Dr Kent Brantly Totally Recovers From Ebola by nigerianvenom(m): 4:57pm On Aug 24, 2014
bushdoc9919:

Possibly....it is possible his immune system was resistant.

At the same time....people who get Ebola get it from prolonged contact with the patient(without wearing protective clothing properly).The guy did not have prolonged contact with her....so he would not have gotten it.

thanks bro

(1) (Reply)

After Ebola Has Almost Been Defeated, Another One Has Come... Pls Read / Http://garciniawowfacts.com/trylo-flex/ / Nitro XL The Above Ingredients Are All Natural And Very Potent Asscientifically

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.