Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,911 members, 7,802,964 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:48 AM

Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic (3496 Views)

The Meaning Of Apc's Loss In Bayelsa / NNPC Records N378bn Loss In 8 Months / Photo Of The Day : Nigerian Police Officers Pushing Their Van In Traffic (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by CyberG: 5:53pm On Aug 21, 2014
Your other post is already several pages long with more than a few distractions, so I am hoping you can find this more easily and hope NL finds this suggestion helpful and ideal for solving tribalism problem on NL.

Solution: The solution to a this forum is an autonomous, active, graduated post and user ranking system. Let me explain:

1. First, you'd need a new button (call it block or dislike or whatever). When a topic is created and posters start responding, tribalistic posts will rack up blocks or dislikes. Post and user ranking policies that will be implemented will curb tribalism:

- If a user blocks a post, it should not appear to this user subsequently if he revisits the topic because he has blocked it.

- If a post gets say a certain percentage (say 10%) of blocks from the total number of respondents to that topic or post, it should automatically drop to the very end of the queue or post list, while ones that have been liked should bubble-up to the top of the list (closer to the front page). This automatically places the worst post at the end of the X number of pages, reducing their visibility.

- If a post exceeds say a threshold of say 50%, that post is automatically blocked and flagged in your database, it will not be returned in regular seach queries and no one will see it again, until it is expunged from your database during some cleaning process. This way all tribalistic posts are made irrelevant.

- However, 50% is just a ratio, if a post dislikes is less than 50% but racks up a significant number of dislikes (say 400 out of 100), it must also be dropped because a large minority of posters and commenters have disavowed such a post and find it offensive.

Users:
- If a user is banned in the current system, he can easily create another ID. This is a waste of time on the part of the moderator to keep running after even 10 of these type of people everyday.

- If a user's posts is consistently blocked by 50% respondents or more, it means that about or more than half of the time, he writes tribalistic, inflaming or out of point contributions most of the time, this user needs to be penalized. First, he should be auto-banned for a few days at a time and if on returning, his posts begin to get likes or does not rack up more dislikes, he remains or climbs higher in rank. However, if he drops below the cut off zone for bans, he should be banned for longer periods of time. Such bans should not need moderator intervention and it frees up workers or moderators for more productive tasks.

- Like the mentions notifications, you can create a block notification where blocked posts can be shown to whoever made them. He can go back and use his common sense to fix the problem. If the post is edited, it can be "liked" back into the queue and be a regular post. How cool will that be? The same way, a poster that is falling out of NL due to multiple blocks can come to his senses and slightly rise back into the ranks of normal or passable where most people are not offended by his comments.

- These measures will be applicable and will not only curb tribalism but people who are clearly trolling or distracting from the topic.

In all, you'd need to invest some hours / days / weeks of writing some new code and testing, but this will not reduce traffic because everyone determines if he is banned on this forum or if he remains by making non-negative contributions, if you can't help the topic by contributing in a positive way you can sit on the fence but do not ruin the experience for others. In turn, moderators will spend less time hunting for offending posts or responding to offensive emails and traffic will certainly improve because this self moderating system is dependent on the poster and the users who are reading it who in turn moderate themselves.

Also, a while ago, I made suggestions to solve the problem of tribalistic moderators, some or most of these would help greatly.

https://www.nairaland.com/1460234/rejoinder-seun-nlanders-suggestions-read

7 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by vicadex07(m): 5:57pm On Aug 21, 2014
But it still leaves the decision in the hands of we the users now and most are tribalists. If a post doesn't favour my tribe, I automatically block it, but if it does, I do otherwise...so on the long run, it turns into a game of numbers. Which means the tribe with more online presence rules

12 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Genius100: 6:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
Quite frankly, stupidity is responsible for the inability to control tribal warlords on this forum. The problem is very simple.. Seun and his moderators have no meaningful way to punish tribal offenders. The only tool they have is to ban the moniker of the offenders and all the offender just needs to re-register another one and continue the commotion. In saner climes, public fora have the ability to ban the IP address of offenders hence they won't be able to post from the same device. Until Seun and his fellow admin clowns obtain the ability to ban IP addresses, nothing will change..

3 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by neenar: 6:12pm On Aug 21, 2014
vicadex07: But it still leaves the decision in the hands of we the users now and most are tribalists. If a post doesn't favour my tribe, I automatically block it, but if it does, I do otherwise...so on the long run, it turns into a game of numbers. Which means the tribe with more online presence rules
Exactly! I will simply create more handles, then frustrate my perceived enemies; Even in cases where not needed. Putting such poeers in the hands of your opponents is disastrous! Such a method is counterproductive, and would only create more enmity.

Then again, we have the minorities. So, a tribe like gwarri, with little or no representation here should freely get insults, right? (no offence to the gwari people).

2 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by vicadex07(m): 6:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: Exactly! I will simply create more handles, then frustrate my perceived enemies; Even in cases where not needed. Putting such poeers in the hands of your opponents is disastrous! Such a method is counterproductive, and would only create more enmity.

Then again, we have the minorities. So, a tribe like gwarri, with little or no representation here should freely get insults, right? (no offence to the gwari people).

Lol...only Yorubas and Igbos are going to rule. Other tribes will simply run off take cover when the war starts

1 Like

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by neenar: 6:25pm On Aug 21, 2014
vicadex07:
Lol...only Yorubas and Igbos are going to rule. Other tribes will simply run off take cover when the war starts
Indeed. Posters like Gbawe and berem would be hunted round the forum. Even if they write something as harmless as "praise the Lord", their enemies would still hit block button. Seun shouldn't create any dislike/block button, it would be much bloodier than it is right now!

3 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 6:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: Indeed. Posters like Gbawe and berem would be hunted round the forum. Even if they write something as harmless as "praise the Lord", their enemies would still hit block button. Seun shouldn't create any dislike/block button, it would be much bloodier than it is right now!
babe,check your pm abeg! cool
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by TheArbiter: 6:42pm On Aug 21, 2014
@CyberG --> The first practical solution to the issue i have come across on Nairaland.

@Seun ---> The rabid tribalism, ignorance and crass stupidity exhibited by some members are a big turn off and limits my visits and interactions to the barest minimum in recent times . Excuse me if i'm mistaken, seems i did mention (some time ago) something to the effect that you could take a look at Reddit and implement some of the good things in use there. Reddit implements an algorithm some what similar to what @CyberG noted above. However, even the Reddit ranking system is not perfect (i know 'cause i'm active there) but you could work out your own implementation with a little effort.

2 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 6:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
The solution. Is to make me a Mod.

2 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by CyberG: 6:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: Indeed. Posters like Gbawe and berem would be hunted round the forum. Even if they write something as harmless as "praise the Lord", their enemies would still hit block button. Seun shouldn't create any dislike/block button, it would be much bloodier than it is right now!

Well, as a follow up to some of the responses, I think I'd like to make the point that there is no one size fits all solution to this type of problem, but that is not an excuse for not amerliorating the problem and reducing it's impact and spread. This is how progressive people and societies think of problems and solutions. What I'd expect from you is to proffer your own solution or add new ideas on how a suggestion can be improved. If an 80% or 10% solution exists to a complex problem, would you throw out that solution when you had previously a 0% solution? Please think and add value to the conversation and not shoot down every idea while proposing no new ideas.

NL is a business and Seun as a business man would think of how technology or technological solutions align with his business objectives and solve problems, while not hurting the business. This idea does that, but it can be improved and I am sure he is creative enough to add his own spin and not implement only exactly a single idea. For example, I thought of IP blocking, but there are 3 major problems with IP blocking:

1. Reduction in traffic, reduction in business, reduction in revenue = Bad idea, bad solution!

2. An IP block can still be circumvented by a knowledgeable user who all he needs to do is to spread the solution and voila, NL is back in square one only worse because a lot of effort has gone into a solution which has now been circumvented.

3. In Nigeria, an IP address is probably shared by many users on a single network, e.g. MTN. NL can only block that one IP, not the local IPs on a network. If a 1000 users are on the network coming from a part of Lagos, they will all be blocked because only 1 IP is visible, you see how that takes control away from Seun, NL and business? Also, 1 poster's stupidity leads to the withdrawal of access privileges by the other 999!

Work around: Chain user IDs coming from the same IP address AND MATCH on every metadata sent by the device. This is not a perfect solution but the idea is to establish that poster X has 10 IDs and chain all those IDs so that when a banned user creates another ID, his previous ban cascades unto the new ID, which forces him to wait until his ID comes back into reckoning and he can then improve on his posting history and no longer be below the drop zone.

For posters who are tag teaming a user like Gbawe or Berem or whoever, NL needs to create a review system that funnels high block rates to the moderators (human beings for review). When it is found that a pattern of consistent blocks are placed on a user because he is from some other tribe or an undeserving block, then such blocks should be cleared and a warning sent to such people, after which they could be penalized. Note that before it gets to that stage, there are multiple checkpoints like first failing posts that get dropped to the bottom of the queue, which means not visible except you go looking for it, where it can be "liked" out of that position, or the user can have a change of mind and fix what people hate about the post, plus the user eventually getting so many blocks he loses posting privileges, and then to the high block rates that triggers a human review.

If you have a better idea or an improvement, bring out your own suggestions. Do not just shooting down every solution without suggesting a superior one or any one at all.

4 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by neenar: 6:48pm On Aug 21, 2014
berem: babe,check your pm abeg! cool
I don't know the password to this e-mail o! I'll PM you my real e-mail. embarassed
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by TonySpike: 6:50pm On Aug 21, 2014
I think i support a user ranking system, this should help isolate new user IDs and their notoriety for posting irrelevant materials. In addition, units should be allocated in an hierarchical manner to promote the use of single IDs. This can be done by allocating scores or points to real contributors in such a way that they can climb up the contribution food chain. Infact, this method can be used to select mods later in the future. I believe certain web programming algorithms will be needed to solve this tribalism problem once and for all. A lot of knowledgeable posters have stopped commenting within a space of two years of tribal congregation on Nairaland. This is a way to clean up the system with a magic bullet.

4 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by CyberG: 6:54pm On Aug 21, 2014
TonySpike: I think i support a user ranking system, this should help isolate new user IDs and their notoriety for posting irrelevant materials. In addition, units should be allocated in an hierarchical manner to promote the use of single IDs. This can be done by allocate scores or points to real contributors in such a way that they can climb up the contribution food chain. Infact, this method can be used to select mods later in the future.

Another good spin on the ranking system! Weeds out new users who created the IDs to troll and ruin the user experience of other normal posters.

1 Like

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 6:59pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: I don't know the password to this e-mail o! 10minutes mail things. I'll PM you my real e-mail. embarassed
ok send to goldenfidel@yahoo.com
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 7:00pm On Aug 21, 2014
CyberG:

Another good spin on the ranking system! Weeds out new users who created the IDs to troll and ruin the user experience of other normal posters.
So your moniker still dey around? I remember when CyberG use to attack me like mad!! grin grin

I am welcoming back your moniker ogbeni! cool
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by neenar: 7:03pm On Aug 21, 2014
berem: ok send to goldenfidel@yahoo.com
No wahala.

@CyberG: PM Seun your ideas, abeg. I'm not his P.A! undecided

3 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by CyberG: 7:04pm On Aug 21, 2014
berem: So your moniker still dey around? I remember when CyberG use to attack me like mad!! grin grin

Really? CyberG is mostly retired now just read the comments once in a while, only to disappear again. Good some old timers are still keeping the flag flying.
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 21, 2014
am
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by CyberG: 7:47pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: No wahala.

Of course not, in your dreams would you be PA! Did you see his name on the post the first time or you missed it? You are just another poster with an opinion but rather than just shooting down everything, propose your own ideas or improve on the existing ones. Obviously, even Seun wanted to improve on his current ideas, that is why he asked for suggestions and he will know enough not to shoot down everything when current ideas have fallen short of solving the problem. Hint: you are not important, your ideas may be important but with no ideas, you can guess who you really are? cool grin

3 Likes

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by fx45(m): 8:19pm On Aug 21, 2014
berem: babe,check your pm abeg! cool

That's the same Modus Operandi those cultists have been using to forment trouble on Nairaland. Exchanging emails, PMs and phone calls... Mob mentality.

1 Like

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by thewarrior72: 8:22pm On Aug 21, 2014
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nobody: 8:28pm On Aug 21, 2014
fx45:

That's the same Modus Operandi those cultists have been using to forment trouble on Nairaland. Exchanging emails, PMs and phone calls... Mob mentality.
na you sabi! cheesy
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by hushmail: 9:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
@ Op ideas r good bt i think NL enjoys its heavy traffic cos of d freedom it gives pple to express themselves

takeaway this freedom n another site giving 9ja dis freedom will spring up n dat will b d end of NL

my advise to oga Seun is to milk it as long as he can cos its not gonna last 4ever. Yahoo gave way to google when they started restrictive policies.

Another word 4 internet is freedom. Any other thing n u r on ur own

just my opinion

1 Like

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by reedonne: 10:44pm On Aug 21, 2014
Ranking system.
Every post and topic should attract a number of point. eg 5 point per post and 20 point per topic (already created topic should attract negative mark), 1 point per like.
When a person made a tribalist post, they should lose 200 points.
When a person have -500 points they should be ban automatically.
There should be list of 6 non-partisan member that will determine if a post is tribalist. The poster should only lose point when 4 of them accept a post as tribalistic.
Posters with high point should have special privileges that will make them special than other members. This will discourage a user from having multiple handles. It will also make user afraid of losing point.

1 Like

Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by Nihilist: 11:07pm On Aug 21, 2014
The easiest solution I can think of is time delayed postin

Seun needs to introduce a delay between creation of a new account and posting on a thread for the 1st time.

If users need to wait for a minimum of 1-3 hours after creating a new account before they are able to post anything, it solves the problem of creating accounts to bypass a ban, by enforcing a timeout of a few hours at least for banned offenders.

The only downside to this is that the mods become too powerful. Perhaps, this concept should be limited to the politics section if eventually implemented?
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by onatisi(m): 11:16pm On Aug 21, 2014
Seun the solution is ban ban ban , ban anything bannable . Ban without mercy or compassion . Because they want to spoil ur work . If someone like let him or her create 50 monikers ,what ppl don't understand is it isn't easy creating new accounts all the time , let someone try and create 10 monikers and see how easy it is eventually they will get tired and behave . Seun ban any one that insult any tribe .even sef ban your mods that refuses to ban tribalists or people who make bad comments . Ban mods that instigate tribal e wars. Show and lead buy example and believe me ppl will comply and behave . Nigerians need koboko and horsewhips ,they won't behave if u keep patting them on the head . Ban ban ban ban
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by deathTOyorubas: 11:23pm On Aug 21, 2014
berem: So your moniker still dey around? I remember when CyberG use to attack me like mad!! grin grin

wink
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by deathTOyorubas: 11:24pm On Aug 21, 2014
neenar: No wahala.

grin
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by vicadex07(m): 11:45pm On Aug 21, 2014
CyberG:

If you have a better idea or an improvement, bring out your own suggestions. Do not just shooting down every solution without suggesting a superior one or any one at all.

Like I have earlier stated in one of my previous posts, I think it is easier, less complex and more effective if the offenders are just confined to a particular section of the forum where they can speak all the trash they want till they cool off, and they remain their till they are done. It will be like an e-cell where they will be jailed for a period of time.
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by JEITO: 11:58pm On Aug 21, 2014
For your mind abi? @ OP

No spoil we NL for us o....

Take away the supporters of APC and we'll have a better forum.
By the way, it isn't bad to spice up a thread by throwing smoke sometimes.

Just that some of them bigots take it too far..
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by JEITO: 12:08am On Aug 22, 2014
Who b dat osho free wey help me edit without my asking him/her?

I said janja.weed supporters ni
Re: Seun: Solution To Tribalism, Trolling, Etc With No Loss In Traffic by shizzle11(m): 12:10am On Aug 22, 2014
wetin concern me?

(1) (2) (Reply)

It’s A Disgrace On Igbo To Beg Buhari For Appointments – Ohanaeze / Boko Haram Group Shares New Photos Of Its Weapons Of Mass Destruction / Picture Of Ebira People Welcoming Yahaya Bello,

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.