Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,881 members, 7,802,847 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:10 PM

Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? (934 Views)

Tuning The Old Car - Renault 19, Chamade, 1994 / Revamping Your Old Car To Absolute Restoration / Is Mileage Of 156,000 Miles Too High For A 1999 (ie 14-Year-Old) Car? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 8:41pm On Aug 21, 2014
I guess we need to set the guideline fo what is considered old and new.

For me an old car is pre OBD and a new car post OBD2.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Homguy(m): 9:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
Lol. A fall out from the other thread?alright. The more complex and computerised a car engine is,the higher the calibre of expertise required to tune it. Hence, newer cars are harder to modify performace wise, albeit more rewarding afterwards.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 21, 2014
Homguy: Lol. A fall out from the other thread?alright. The more complex and computerised a car engine is,the higher the calibre of expertise required to tune it. Hence, newer cars are harder to modify performace wise, albeit more rewarding afterwards.

Have you personally performed a tune on a modern car or at least have done some research towards this goal in order to reach this conclusion?

I asked this in all seriousness so that I know where to start from in addressing the points that you made.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 11:05pm On Aug 21, 2014
It's definitely easier to squeeze more horses out of a modern engine. Better still if it's OBDII model. ECU flashing means you don't even have to pop the hood. A new map can be downloaded to the ECU via the a OBD port, while you're sitting behind the wheel.

You can even have different maps, with the option to choose which one to run. On Audi / Volkswagen running Bosch Motronic ME7 and newer, power options can be selected using the cruise control switch.

Older cars can be upgraded too, but relying more on traditional methods, mostly mechanical. And often more expensive.

2 Likes

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 11:26pm On Aug 21, 2014
Siena: It's definitely easier to squeeze more horses out of a modern engine. Better still if it's OBDII model. ECU flashing means you don't even have to pop the hood. A new map can be downloaded to the ECU via the a OBD port, while you're sitting behind the wheel.

You can even have different maps, with the option to choose which one to run. On Audi / Volkswagen running Bosch Motronic ME7 and newer, power options can be selected using the cruise control switch.

Older cars can be upgraded too, but relying more on traditional methods, mostly mechanical. And often more expensive.

An astute response from an industry expert.

To get 20 horsepower from most pre OBD vehicles will for sure require stuff like headers, bigger carburators, camshaft regrind, maybe even crankshaft.

And usually all efficiency will be totally lost since it's harder to get the proper performance curves.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Jacksolo4me(m): 5:26am On Aug 22, 2014
Got in touch with an ECU chipper in da UK to see if I could get a piggyback ECU for my car and the first thing he asked was the Model and year of the car followed with if it had an OBDII port.

So lucky me. Since I won't be taking the car overseas I can just pull out the ECU/ECM n come next month it's riding first class for a new map!

So I pretty much agree here.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 12:20pm On Aug 22, 2014
Jacksolo4me: Got in touch with an ECU chipper in da UK to see if I could get a piggyback ECU for my car and the first thing he asked was the Model and year of the car followed with if it had an OBDII port.

So lucky me. Since I won't be taking the car overseas I can just pull out the ECU/ECM n come next month it's riding first class for a new map!

So I pretty much agree here.

An astute decision.

This validates my point all along that there are indeed educated drivers in Nigeria.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Homguy(m): 12:47pm On Aug 22, 2014
CityNG:

Have you personally performed a tune on a modern car or at least have done some research towards this goal in order to reach this conclusion?

I asked this in all seriousness so that I know where to start from in addressing the points that you made.
None. However, a chunk of researchs on forums esp on tunning older/"analog" based cars. Sincerely, I really don't think I would get motivation tunning modern, already hard-driven cars as much as I would a 2.3 190 merc (my dream project)for example. So your address sir.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2014
Homguy: None. However, a chunk of researchs on forums esp on tunning older/"analog" based cars. Sincerely, I really don't think I would get motivation tunning modern, already hard-driven cars as much as I would a 2.3 190 merc (my dream project)for example. So your address sir.

I have owned maybe 5 of the 190e so I speak with authority. It's a fools errand to try to squeeze any performance from the 2.3 engine. It's possible but you will spend a lot of money as it will require a lot of machining work.

If you like the shape (frankly I think it's one of the most beautiful car design on the 80s) then try to get the 16V model instead or get a 2.6 and place it on a diet. The forte of this car in my opinion is in the suspension and handling which will not be possible with our roads in Nigeria.

As far as addressing the points you made, please read Siena post #3, I really can't say it better than my brother did.

Pic shows a 2.3 and a 2.6 both auto. Next one I work on will have a 2.6 with 5 speed transmission from another model and then suspension work.

Second pic is not mine but shows a 16v, I saw one in Ibadan last month. Was as ratty as heck and I spoke to the owner, he had no clue how special the car was.

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:39pm On Aug 22, 2014
Alrite here's ma Old man's 6.8L V10 magnum Ford excursion with a K&N Long tube CAI with larger injectors and a titanium dual exhaust....that power plant is a monster.though it's toeing in a bulletproof rear.

It's tuned to chunk out close to 455HP(that's what I was told I knew some block work was done but don't have enough info)..it's now in storage.i tend to it from time to time.

Trust me Nigerians do modify there cars.Old or New..Though for my dad he preferred he's old Babe.

1 Like

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Aug 22, 2014
Do you care to share what he did to get over 200 horsepower on the gas engine?

The diesels, being turbo diesels, can use Banks Engineering products to get insane performance increase.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 1:52pm On Aug 22, 2014
"Ask any performance enthusiast and they all agree—the most effective way to increase horsepower and fuel mileage is with aftermarket power programmers. And, this is especially true for diesel trucks that can routinely see triple-digit horsepower and single-digit MPG gains"

http://www.autoanything (dot) com/performance-chips/banks-vs-edge.aspx

No need to wrench as much on newer cars as in older cars.

Of course you can get even more power if you do decide to wrench on a newer car grin
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Jacksolo4me(m): 1:59pm On Aug 22, 2014
CityNG: Do you care to share what he did to get over 200 horsepower on the gas engine?

The diesels, being turbo diesels, can use Banks Engineering products to get insane performance increase.

Actually it's an import - All I know is that apart from what was listed here there probably was some kinda re-flash done to its ECU(in his words "the brain was tinkered with"wink.n that to me is probably a chip.
.i saw another Ford excursion in abuja n it was nothing compared to this(stock).

1 Like

Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Jacksolo4me(m): 2:10pm On Aug 22, 2014
I think stock, The 2000 6.8 V10 comes with about 310hp. It's not a diesel.and I know it was previously a Government issued ride(it has an upgraded shock also)...I don't think da stock block without any performance mods could pull da bulletproof windows n reinforced door panels..There is no way.i drove it once n floored it (safe no traffic).

I swear I was so scared hoping it wouldn't stop in time.but damn it pulls like a mother#! $@/.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Homguy(m): 10:16pm On Aug 23, 2014
CityNG:

I have owned maybe 5 of the 190e so I speak with authority. It's a fools errand to try to squeeze any performance from the 2.3 engine. It's possible but you will spend a lot of money as it will require a lot of machining work.

If you like the shape (frankly I think it's one of the most beautiful car design on the 80s) then try to get the 16V model instead or get a 2.6 and place it on a diet. The forte of this car in my opinion is in the suspension and handling which will not be possible with our roads in Nigeria.

As far as addressing the points you made, please read Siena post #3, I really can't say it better than my brother did.

Pic shows a 2.3 and a 2.6 both auto. Next one I work on will have a 2.6 with 5 speed transmission from another model and then suspension work.

Second pic is not mine but shows a 16v, I saw one in Ibadan last month. Was as ratty as heck and I spoke to the owner, he had no clue how special the car was.
You are a lucky man! You stated a fact about the 2.6L variant being better for tunning due to Rad and slam setup, but that ride is scarce in naija. Almost every 190e is the 2.3L capacity. I have seen just a few of them. But are there any differences in the engine bay layout as regards the 2.5L and 2.6L versions? I hope i find a decent 2.6 soon or I'ld just stick to the popular 2.3 and do any modification I can find online to it.
Re: Which Is Easier To Upgrade It's Performance, An Old Car Or A New One? by Nobody: 2:26am On Aug 24, 2014
Homguy: You are a lucky man! You stated a fact about the 2.6L variant being better for tunning due to Rad and slam setup, but that ride is scarce in naija. Almost every 190e is the 2.3L capacity. I have seen just a few of them. But are there any differences in the engine bay layout as regards the 2.5L and 2.6L versions? I hope i find a decent 2.6 soon or I'ld just stick to the popular 2.3 and do any modification I can find online to it.

It's the same body shell.

(1) (Reply)

My Break Light Is Permanently ON. / How I Beat Lagos Traffic / Help! Frequent Stop Issues

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.