Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,414 members, 7,808,475 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Rivers 2015: Why Bonny Deserves To Produce Amaechi’s Successor - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Rivers 2015: Why Bonny Deserves To Produce Amaechi’s Successor (492 Views)

Oshiomhole Picks Godwin Obaseki As His Successor? / Elections 2015: Why The Social Media Is Highly Overrated - Sahara Reporters / 2015: Why Buhari May Defeat Jonathan- Analysis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Rivers 2015: Why Bonny Deserves To Produce Amaechi’s Successor by kingsley18(m): 9:00am On Aug 22, 2014
AHEAD of the 2015 elections, a major thorny issue in Rivers where Governor Rotimi Amaechi’s successor should come from: Upland Rivers or Riverine Rivers. In this interview, Mrs Abie Atedoghu Bob – Abbey Hart, a lawyer, one of the leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and a member of Rivers Mainstream Coalition speaks on Why Riverine Rivers especially Bonny should produce the next occupant of the Government House. Excerpts:
By Clifford Ndujihe
Her take on the emergence of about 20 governorship aspirants for the race on the plank of the PDP
It is a healthy development that must be checked in other not lose its flair. The Party leaders should moderate what happens in this regard to ensure that what is an advantage does not become a disadvantage due to the inability to contain the quest for governorship. Among the aspirants are known foremost politicians with pedigree and penchant for excellence who have tested the waters and have the goodwill of the people in Rivers State.

The issue is critical and crucial because becomes governor of a place has a lot to do with the development of the state; we would be wasting a total of 24 years if make the wrong choice. We must discourage sectional development or no development and advancement at all. Good governance can only be achieved when we remove sentiments to position the person who has the capacity, experience and exposure to provide unbiased leadership capable of growing the state.
On who should produce the next governor between Upland and Riverine Rivers
There is no argument about the side of the two to produce the next governor, it is the Riverine Rivers. The Upland Rivers have produced governors consecutively, for 16 years. It is the turn of the Riverine. It is important we maintain the arrangement of the Upland and Riverine divide because it has worked for us. In the last 15 years and above, we have produced deputy governors.
The question is should we still produce a deputy governor? The Upland should produce the deputy this time. Particularly, the Ikweres have dominated the judiciary for 18 years and are still poised to keep it without any argument. The judiciary is one arm of the three arms. It is therefore most unreasonable and inequitable for one ethnic group to keep two arms out of three and allow the rest to struggle to share one, the legislature between the Kalabaris and the Ogonis.
After producing two Ikwere governors in about eight years, another group should be considered in accordance with the zoning provisions of the PDP Constitution 2012 as amended in Chapter (1) section (7) sub – section (3) item (c) under aims and objective of the Party, which provides for “adhering to the policy of the rotation and zoning of Party and public elective offices pursuance of the principle of equity, justice and fairness”.
It is indeed honourable for party leaders, members and all people to learn to respect the ideals and policies of the party and to try to accommodate others.
On which part of Riverine Rivers should benefit first
This is the turn of Bonny by all know qualifications, including divine intervention and or arrangement. Bonny has for as long as Nigeria existed, participated in elections where their votes counted, but are negotiated out because every other community or group have a fair share of power except Bonny. And this is disturbing because Bonny is carrying the country’s economic burden and is saddled with problems of gas and crude oil-related processes exposing us to death from inhaling the lowest quality of air and pollutants, terminal and untimely death and health issues.
Bonny has the lowest life expectancy rating of 30 years. We have never been part of any government; we have never produced a senator, chief judge, speaker, deputy speaker, deputy governor or governor. No position at all in any of the arms of government. Bonny people are well educated and have qualified people in their numbers to serve the state. That Bonny has not been considered in these matters is a misnomer and a major setback for the people of Bonny. The leadership should allow party policies and principle to prevail.
On her past governorship aspiration
Today, I am an elder and a leader in the PDP. I aspired to contest for the governorship of the state under PDP in 2011 after 13 years of being elected to the Federal House of Representatives and waiting to be remembered. That mandate was unattended following the twist of tragedy and I had to allow the Party leadership’s decision for the choice of Governor Chibuike Rotimi Amaechi to prevail over my interest.
And so dropping from the contest in PDP, I supported Mr. President for the very obvious reason of keeping my structure intact and my supporters with me.
This very action has come to add value to PDP today, as my group has enlarged the PDP family tremendously. I have since after the election continued with service to my party at various levels and capacities, and I feel good about it.

http://www.ayayamedia.com/2014/08/rivers-2015-why-bonny-deserves-to.html

Re: Rivers 2015: Why Bonny Deserves To Produce Amaechi’s Successor by hushmail: 9:13am On Aug 22, 2014
una think say Wike dey play?

(1) (Reply)

Jega’s Comments On Elections Reassuring –APC / APC, PDP, Accord Flex Muscle In Oyo Over 2015 Poll / Hatefull & Funny Comments By South-africans After Nigeria's Loss To Congo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.