Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,413 members, 7,781,195 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 10:27 AM

Car Change Of Ownership - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Change Of Ownership (20565 Views)

Registration Of Vehicles/Change Of Ownership/Driver License / Car Change / What does Transfer of Ownership Car Document Entail ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 9:10am On Aug 22, 2014
Thanks all

Updated

1 Like

Re: Car Change Of Ownership by chillex8(m): 11:07am On Aug 22, 2014
eluquenson: I just bought a registered car from someone. I want to change the ownership to mine then I spoke with someone working in a licensing office which he told me I will need to get my own new plate number alongside the change of ownership for a fee of 30k. The car already has a new plate number.

Does it mean i can't change ownership without changing the license plate?

Your candid advice will be appreciated.

Really?
What a white lie.
So long the vehicle is registered with a new plate number, all you need is a change of vehicle particulars to be in your name...
That should cost 15k Max..

Contact Mr Johnson on Nairaland, he will do it for you swiftly.

1 Like

Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 1:37pm On Aug 22, 2014
chillex8:

Really?
What a white lie.
So long the vehicle is registered with a new plate number, all you need is a change of vehicle particulars to be in your name...
That should cost 15k Max..

Contact Mr Johnson on Nairaland, he will do it for you swiftly.
Thanks & pls Link me with Mr Johnson
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by chillex8(m): 2:24pm On Aug 22, 2014
eluquenson: Thanks & pls Link me with Mr Johnson

www.nairaland.com/1370441/renewal-registration-vehicles-cheapest-rate

Go to that link
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kashif(m): 5:50pm On Aug 22, 2014
eluquenson: I just bought a registered car from someone. I want to change the ownership to mine then I spoke with someone working in a licensing office which he told me I will need to get my own new plate number alongside the change of ownership for a fee of 30k. The car already has a new plate number.
Does it mean i can't change ownership without changing the license plate?
Your candid advice will be appreciated.
From my findings, the licensing dude may have told you the truth. Johnson can confirm that.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 6:15pm On Aug 22, 2014
chillex8:

www.nairaland.com/1370441/renewal-registration-vehicles-cheapest-rate

Go to that link
its helpful, I appreciate
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 7:11pm On Aug 22, 2014
Kashif:
From my findings, the licensing dude may have told you the truth. Johnson can confirm that.
He even billed me 38k
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by chillex8(m): 10:06pm On Aug 22, 2014
eluquenson: He even billed me 38k

Same johnson billed me 15k sometime in April, Unless there is a new law in place which I doubt.

How come when the old plates where still in place, one doesn't have to change plates when doing a change of vehicle particulars
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by chillex8(m): 10:06pm On Aug 22, 2014
eluquenson: He even billed me 38k
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 11:21pm On Aug 22, 2014
chillex8:

Same johnson billed me 15k sometime in April, Unless there is a new law in place which I doubt.

How come when the old plates where still in place, one doesn't have to change plates when doing a change of vehicle particulars
Johnson said it's 35k cos I called him this night. He also said the new plate number can't be transferred to a new user.

It was the initial licensing officer I spoke with yesterday that billed me 38k not Johnson.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by LAGATA(m): 4:11pm On Aug 25, 2014
what are the documents u collected backing the registered car u bought? i actually bought a fairly used car last week Monday here in abuja. we signed the sales agreement, he gave me all the documents of his car ( plate num receipt, old and renewed vehicle particulars, insurance, proof of ownership etc) we then signed another letter in respect of transfer of ownership. Hence, with all these i took to VIO office in Mabushi, gave the chap 14,500 and behold, the vehicle particulars came in my name (though they made a copy for their record)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Car Change Of Ownership by chillex8(m): 6:23pm On Aug 25, 2014
LAGATA: what are the documents u collected backing the registered car u bought? i actually bought a fairly used car last week Monday here in abuja. we signed the sales agreement, he gave me all the documents of his car ( plate num receipt, old and renewed vehicle particulars, insurance, proof of ownership etc) we then signed another letter in respect of transfer of ownership. Hence, with all these i took to VIO office in Mabushi, gave the chap 14,500 and behold, the vehicle particulars came in my name (though they made a copy for their record)

Exactly what I said....
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 8:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
LAGATA: what are the documents u collected backing the registered car u bought? i actually bought a fairly used car last week Monday here in abuja. we signed the sales agreement, he gave me all the documents of his car ( plate num receipt, old and renewed vehicle particulars, insurance, proof of ownership etc) we then signed another letter in respect of transfer of ownership. Hence, with all these i took to VIO office in Mabushi, gave the chap 14,500 and behold, the vehicle particulars came in my name (though they made a copy for their record)
That means these guys are misleading me to paying such amount.
Thanks for the info.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Nobody: 4:10pm On Aug 26, 2014
New plate numbers are tied to owners name and not to the vehicle. That's why the officer recommended a new one. 30k is around the correct price. But if the plate number is old I suggest you just use it the way it is and renew yearly in the previous owners name. As far as you have your purchase/change of ownership agreement than nothing do you. Just Renew the damn papers yearly for about 5k than facing the wahala of new registration. After all a court recently ruled the new plate numbers as not compulsory so no worries.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by eluquenson(m): 7:08pm On Aug 26, 2014
chukux2: New plate numbers are tied to owners name and not to the vehicle. That's why the officer recommended a new one. 30k is around the correct price. But if the plate number is old I suggest you just use it the way it is and renew yearly in the previous owners name. As far as you have your purchase/change of ownership agreement than nothing do you. Just Renew the damn papers yearly for about 5k than facing the wahala of new registration. After all a court recently ruled the new plate numbers as not compulsory so no worries.
The car has a new plate number, I will just try get my own new plate.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by NineLife(m): 7:33pm On Oct 20, 2016
A VIO guy I met today bill me 22k. Those guy have something up their sleeve.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by princemillla(m): 4:15am On Oct 21, 2016
I actually was going to open a thread like this but guess op already clear the ground for me.

I will like to hear from partybf achugulatan or what's the name again.

Is it possible to change ownership without changing information on the plate number or buying another one.
Have once tried this and I was surprised my assigned plate number wasn't registered with my car. Anytime I checked online I always got "ur plate number is active yet to be assigned to any vehicle" then I knew I would never apply to re register already registered vehicle again but do change of ownership on the documents

So my question partybf and others,
1. is it possible for a car to carry different name on documents showing prove of ownership and plate number. Bear in mind, all payment to renew document are all tied to the information on the plate number.

2. If it's possible, won't it contradict it self wen applying for say tinted permit. Where you have to upload your proof of ownership, and insurance number ?

3. Is there any side effect to these change or better what is the better way to go about it if one just purchased an already registered car wit the new plate number.

Thanks

Ps. I want to process mine, so I need clarification. Thanks again
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kjnwancaro: 11:38am On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:
I actually was going to open a thread like this but guess op already clear the ground for me.

Is it possible to change ownership without changing information on the plate number or buying another one.
Have once tried this and I was surprised my assigned plate number wasn't registered with my car. Anytime I checked online I always got "ur plate number is active yet to be assigned to any vehicle" then I knew I would never apply to re register already registered vehicle again but do change of ownership on the documents

1. is it possible for a car to carry different name on documents showing prove of ownership and plate number. Bear in mind, all payment to renew document are all tied to the information on the plate number.

2. If it's possible, won't it contradict it self wen applying for say tinted permit. Where you have to upload your proof of ownership, and insurance number ?

3. Is there any side effect to these change or better what is the better way to go about it if one just purchased an already registered car wit the new plate number.

Thanks

Answer to your question is yes. I I recently change all old info of a used car to the details of new owner include the number plates
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by princemillla(m): 12:03pm On Oct 21, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

Answer to your question is yes. I I recently change all old info of a used car to the details of new owner include the number plates

Good, how much did you make the change and how long does it takes
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kjnwancaro: 12:12pm On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:

Good, how much did you make the change and how long does it takes

22k including that 5k insurance. I believe it doesn't take more than a few days but I didn't call the man that did mine until after like two weeks then I got it.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by princemillla(m): 12:59pm On Oct 21, 2016
Kjnwancaro:

22k including that 5k insurance. I believe it doesn't take more than a few days but I didn't call the man that did mine until after like two weeks then I got it.

Can you pass me his number. Thanks
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kjnwancaro: 3:59pm On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:

Can you pass me his number. Thanks

He's in Ibadan. If you still want it I will get it before night. Changed my phone
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by pattybf(f): 6:57pm On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:

Thanks

once u purchase a registered vehicle, u can either continue to renew d documents on d former owners name and use, this is only if d former owner takes d risk of allowing u to keep d no plate;

or u apply to get a change of ownership/reregistration /replacement as d case may be. under this, u will be required to get a new no plate, this is d only way u can get ur name on d documents.

there is no way a particular vehicle's documents can ve different names on them.

also, u cannot process d new online tinted permit for a vehicle ur name is not yet on d documents.

I hope I answered all ur questioning.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by pattybf(f): 7:13pm On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:

Thanks

once u purchase a registered vehicle, u can either continue to renew d documents on d former owners name and use, this is only if d former owner takes d risk of allowing u to keep d no plate;

or u apply to get a change of ownership/reregistration /replacement as d case may be. under this, u will be required to get a new no plate, this is d only way u can get ur name on d documents.

there is no way a particular vehicle's documents can ve different names on them.

also, u cannot process d new online tinted permit for a vehicle ur name is not yet on d documents.

I hope I answered all ur questions.

PS: I won't be d one to tell everyone that there r guys out there who does oluwole job, hence d prices i see up there!

5 Likes

Re: Car Change Of Ownership by princemillla(m): 8:35pm On Oct 21, 2016
pattybf:

I hope I answered all ur questions.

PS: I won't be d one to tell everyone that there r guys out there who does oluwole job, hence d prices i see up there!

I trust your judgment on issue like this, that why u had to call you out. Is there a way I can get the tinted permit. Note my name is not on the documents and the seller is now deceased. So how do I go about the tinted permit. I will appreciate your response. Thanks

Cc pattybf
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by pattybf(f): 8:46pm On Oct 21, 2016
princemillla:

I trust your judgment on issue like this, that why u had to call you out. Is there a way I can get the tinted permit. Note my name is not on the documents and the seller is now deceased. So how do I go about the tinted permit. I will appreciate your response. Thanks

Cc pattybf

yes its possible. I ve two options but only one will work for u in this case!

contact me on whatsapp.
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Preeck: 6:32am On Jun 13, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

He's in Ibadan. If you still want it I will get it before night. Changed my phone

Hi, do u still have the contact of this person. I'd like to do a change of ownership including a new number plate and other necessary documents. I wil be glad if u can assist me with his number
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kjnwancaro: 7:04am On Jun 15, 2017
Preeck:

Hi, do u still have the contact of this person. I'd like to do a change of ownership including a new number plate and other necessary documents. I wil be glad if u can assist me with his number

Sent you a dm
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Preeck: 7:11am On Jun 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Sent you a dm
sorry d email attached to this account is no longer available. U cn send me a mail at olanjensin@gmail.com or thru WhatsApp 07039641623. Thanks
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Kjnwancaro: 8:24am On Jun 15, 2017
Preeck:
sorry d email attached to this account is no longer available. U cn send me a mail at olanjensin@gmail.com or thru WhatsApp 07039641623. Thanks

Done
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by adanny01(m): 4:52pm On Jun 15, 2017
eluquenson:
That means these guys are misleading me to paying such amount.
Thanks for the info.

Old
Re: Car Change Of Ownership by Preeck: 8:26pm On Jun 15, 2017
Kjnwancaro:

Done
seen thanks

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Things A Mechanic Doesn't Want You To Know / 9 Places Car VIN (vehicle Identification Number) Is Located (Photos) / How To Drive Automatic Vehicles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.