Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,032 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:42 AM

Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! (1056 Views)

5 Months As A Governor, I Am Already Tired - El Rufai / Is Buhari Capable Of Offering "TRUE" DEMOCRACY? / Is Nigeria Ripe For Democracy?true Democracy, Remembering Jfk May 29 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 9:43pm On Aug 22, 2014
Was just wondering if this could actually happen, I mean we claim to be practicing democracy, but it seems that only those from the principle tribe in a state are elected Governor for that particular state.

Just close your eyes and imagine:

An Igbo man being a Governor in Kaduna.
A Yoruba man being a Governor in Imo.
An Hausa man being the Governor of Lagos.

Does it tickle your brain to even begin to imagine that? I know it does mine!

I'm not a separatist, but its obvious that the position of governor in our democracy does in fact breed separatism.

If a black man can rule the United States of America after their horrid history of slavery, then I see no reason why we that practice the democracy borrowed from them, can't take what would seem to be a less harder step in promoting true meritocracy in governor elections as opposed to the way it is now; being zoned to the principle tribe of the state.

So what do y'all think?

1 Like

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by GetUmad: 9:55am On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara: Was just wondering if this could actually happen, I mean we claim to be practicing democracy, but it seems that only those from the principle tribe in a state are elected Governor for that particular state.

I'm not a separatist, but its obvious that the position of governor in our democracy does in fact breed separatism.

If a black man can rule the United States of America after their horrid history of slavery, then I see no reason why we that practice the democracy borrowed from them, can't take what would seem to be a less harder step in promoting true meritocracy in governor elections as opposed to the way it is now; being zoned to the principle tribe of the state.

So what do y'all think?

Yea, its absolutely possible. when the word TRIBALISM has being expunged from naija dictionary, that time we can have governors and other political office holders of another tribe calling the shots.
Having the first lady from another tribe(esp the major groups), for now poses much threat to one's political career, how much more the main man. if for instance, I, as an ibo man with a yoruba wife want to contest for governorship seat in my state, or me that yoruba man with an anambra woman as my wife vying for governorship position in my state , how much support do you think I can garner from my people without their usual "stranger as a wife" sentiment? lets start from their first.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by hungryboy(m): 10:05am On Aug 23, 2014
Bro, u are joking right?, even minority tribes in many states here nigeria can't produce a governor,
The oron people of akwa ibom hasn't produced a governor and am not sure the ever will
other ones include the ekoi people of cross river
the idomas of benue
etc.
In almost every state we have in this country, the majority tribe are the rulers and the minority tribe are the ruled

1 Like

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by BRAVO0(m): 10:06am On Aug 23, 2014
Only when nigerians agree to live together as one family

1 Like

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by ibedun: 1:04pm On Aug 23, 2014
Foolish thinking.

This sort of thing takes time. How can I a Yorubaman expect to appear in Kaduna and hope to rule them because we share the same Nigerian nationality?

I would expect that to be possible in 300 years time, long after the tribal lines have faded. America is not a good example because the country's original people have been wiped out.

London (Paris) (Amsterdam) are full of immigrants but that has had very little impact on the governance and representation. As cosmopolitan as London is, it is represented almost in full by indigenous English people (and rightly so)

2 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 23, 2014
So in essence, our democracy is being built on tribal identities, as opposed to being built on the basis of competing ideas.

How far and fast can we progress with such foundation?
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 1:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
ibedun: Foolish thinking.

This sort of thing takes time. How can I a Yorubaman expect to appear in Kaduna and hope to rule them because we share the same Nigerian nationality?

I would expect that to be possible in 300 years time, long after the tribal lines have faded. America is not a good example because the country's original people have been wiped out.

London (Paris) (Amsterdam) are full of immigrants but that has had very little impact on the governance and representation. As cosmopolitan as London is, it is represented almost in full by indigenous English people (and rightly so)

How will it fade though? It would seem tribalism is passed down from generation to generation.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by ibedun: 1:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
My brother, democracy have limits. You just haven't seen it.

What is democracy in getting enough of your people to migrate en mass to somebody else's land in the hope to usurp their governance and tradition by voting yourselves in into power or threatening to 'take over' based on some bogus democracy.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 1:20pm On Aug 23, 2014
Well in the "ideal" Nigeria, all that shouldn't matter, what should matter are your ideas, character, and pedigree.

So it shouldn't matter, even if you're Asian(lol, extreme case), as long as you are a Nigerian citizen and you're ideas and agenda are superior to that of your completion.

The T-2 California Gov is another example.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by redsun(m): 1:32pm On Aug 23, 2014
ibedun: My brother, democracy have limits. You just haven't seen it.

What is democracy in getting enough of your people to migrate en mass to somebody else's land in the hope to usurp their governance and tradition by voting yourselves in into power or threatening to 'take over' based on some bogus democracy.

Soon people like you will be left behind on the scorching earth while the real people of the new age will endlessly float across the oceans and skies in their gigantic enclaves that never stops.

Do ever imagine what the earth might be in a thousand years time?And in your time you can't make the best of it,stuck up in past past and thinking in reverse.

1 Like

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by kolaaderin: 1:40pm On Aug 23, 2014
tongue tongue grin. Not this topic again in a different format. It's not possible for ur tribe man to be gov in Lagos. Stop that ur wild dream it's hurting u.

If that is what u think then yoruba should have been representative in some part of London today where every 8 of 10 black man on street speaks yoruba.

2 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Sloan: 1:54pm On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara: Was just wondering if this could actually happen, I mean we claim to be practicing democracy, but it seems that only those from the principle tribe in a state are elected Governor for that particular state.

So what do y'all think?

You these Igbos and your long throat! You've failed massively in governing the smallest patch of land in Nigeria, an entire region smaller than some states. No other Nigerian aspires to govern any state in the SE, people who live there do so mostly because of FG work assignments. No normal non-native student will leave the best schools in the West, in the north and SS to go to SE. No Nigerian wants to stay longer in SE than he has to but ibos on the other hand want to keep their land to themselves and migrate to claim joint indigeneship in other parts of Nigeria why abusing the same people! Imagine ibos saying why do northerners always give their building contracts to ibos as though they are too stupid to be building contractors on their own? Mister forget it! With millions of native indigenes in almost every state, there is absolutely no reason, nothing an ibo man can bring in governance that can not be found in the native population. Yet, Iboland is the most failed region outside the places where terrorism has a foothold in Nigeria.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by emiye(m): 2:25pm On Aug 23, 2014
Nigeria is a mere geographical expression, over 250 ethnic groups with little or no sense of nationalism.

It is a lost cause for this generation, may be the next 100 years if Nigeria manages to stay as one.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by ibedun: 2:38pm On Aug 23, 2014
redsun:
Soon people like you will be left behind on the scorching earth while the real people of the new age will endlessly float across the oceans and skies in their gigantic enclaves that never stops.
Do ever imagine what the earth might be in a thousand years time?And in your time you can't make the best of it,stuck up in past past and thinking in reverse.

Give me just one example (Country or city state, America is a stolen land so not a good example) where the above has happened. We are all tribal and we have our own portion of the Earth, and wars have been fought and will continue to be fought to defend it.

Even the Romans eventually went back home.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by ibedun: 2:41pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sloan:
You these Igbos and your long throat! You've failed massively in governing the smallest patch of land in Nigeria, an entire region smaller than some states. No other Nigerian aspires to govern any state in the SE, people who live there do so mostly because of FG work assignments. No normal non-native student will leave the best schools in the West, in the north and SS to go to SE. No Nigerian wants to stay longer in SE than he has to but ibos on the other hand want to keep their land to themselves and migrate to claim joint indigeneship in other parts of Nigeria why abusing the same people! Imagine ibos saying why do northerners always give their building contracts to ibos as though they are too stupid to be building contractors on their own? Mister forget it! With millions of native indigenes in almost every state, there is absolutely no reason, nothing an ibo man can bring in governance that can not be found in the native population. Yet, Iboland is the most failed region outside the places where terrorism has a foothold in Nigeria.

Crazy Igbos talk about Lagos as if Lagos means anything.

Lagos is just one of a few administrative outpost created to administer Nigeria and bring development to the people. It is an important and integral part of Yoruba Land and will forever remain so.

Foolish people having stupid ideas

5 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by iboTOTOdeySMELL: 2:45pm On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara:
The T-2 California Gov is another example.
This is not California, This is not a migrant country like USA or New Zea land. This is Nigeria, This is Africa.

As Africans we are tribal people and we are ethnically attached to our territory.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by T9ksy(m): 3:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
iboTOTOdeySMELL: This is not California, This is not a migrant country like USA or New Zea land. This is Nigeria, This is Africa.

As Africans we are tribal people and we are ethnically attached to our territory.

At bolded.................GBABE!!!

Except, of course, those whose ancestral land is nothing to write home about.

@ Op, a yorubaman can NEVER become governor in Imo state for the mere fact that the ibos have a deep-rooted hatred for yorubas. Case study, Awo! At any rate, no yorubaman wants to be governor in iboland. Only Ibos wants to hold top political office in another man's land- a region where the ibos arbor unhealthy hatred for the locals.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by itstpia1: 3:43pm On Aug 23, 2014
Why should a governor be from a different tribe?

None of the people in that tribe have what it takes? Is that what you're saying?

2 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by T9ksy(m): 3:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
itstpia1: Why should a governor be from a different tribe?

None of the people in that tribe have what it takes? Is that what you're saying?

That's exactly what he's getting at.

"Pesin wey wan dash you rich agbada, you will first of all look at what he's wearing before contemplating taking him up on his offer".

That was how the slimy zik wanted to be premier of western region in '51 before we sent him packing back to his cursed land.

And what did zik did for his people that Awo didn't do ten times as much for the yorubas. So much so that many ibos left their homeland to

partake in the free education, awo established for his people without any input from the Fg.

Ibos have been lusting after yorubaland since 1944

5 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Descartes: 5:51pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sloan:

My dear stop deceiving the public. Wisdom is the principle thing. cool

1 Like

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Orunto: 6:58pm On Aug 23, 2014
BARAK OBAMA IS A US NATIONALIST. CHUKA, ADEBOWALE, OMOLOLA ET CETERA ARE ALL NIGERIAN ENGLISH CITIZENS. THEY ALL KNOW VERY WELL THE HISTORY OF THE PEOPLE AND THE NATIONS THE ARE RULING. DON'T WE ALL KNOW WHEN OBAMA ORDERED THE RETURN OF HIS RELATION TO KENYA? MAKE AN IGBOMAN THE GOVERNOR OF KANO UNDER THE PRESENT AUTONOMY STATUS OF OUR STATES, CHAOS WILL FESTER. WHEN WE REINFORCE THE AUTONOMY OF OUR STATES AND CREATE GOOD CITIZENSHIP KNOWLEDGE AND RULES ON WHICH EVERY ETHNIC CITIZEN OF A STATE CAN BE ASSESSED AND RATED, THEN WE SHALL HAVE EXCELLENT ETHNIC MIX. A YORUBAMAN WHO WANTS TO BE GOVERNOR OF IMO WILL SIMPLY LEARN THE RULES AND FEAT IN. WHEN YOU ARE IN ROME BE A ROMAN. YOU VALUE TO MAKE HEAVEN BE LIKE CHRIST. THIS IS THE GOLDEN RULE. GOD BLESS NIGERIA.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 7:15pm On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara: So in essence, our democracy is being built on tribal identities, as opposed to being built on the basis of competing ideas.

How far and fast can we progress with such foundation?

I hope this is not about lagos again.

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 7:18pm On Aug 23, 2014
Yes it's possible
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 7:57pm On Aug 23, 2014
django1:

I hope this is not about lagos again.

It's not oooooooo!

People assuming that I am Igbo, when I never said I was. I will remain tribe-less on Nairaland, and just be a Nigerian, woohooo!

I just think that we still have a lot of room to grow in our democracy, and in promoting unity in Nigeria as a whole. It's almost like how the NYSC scheme tries(though failed woefully) to promote national unity, I just believe a better Nigeria would exist when we pay more attention to merit, and almost become blind to tribe, and become true Nigerians (since we are still together anyway).

Culture has nothing to do with the governor position as per the Nigerian constitution, and it can still be preserved even if merit, for instance, dictates that the best governorship candidate for a certain election be from a different tribe. You still would have Obas, Chiefs and Sheiks, but the best brains would always be at the top leading in the formal political structure.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by reedonne: 8:06pm On Aug 23, 2014
Why do you think it is development to be rule by a person from another tribe. Will you vote a white man as Nigerian president?.

3 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Aug 23, 2014
There is difference between nationhood and democracy.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Sloan: 8:10pm On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara:

It's not oooooooo!

People assuming that I am Igbo, when I never said I was. I will remain tribe-less on Nairaland, and just be a Nigerian, woohooo!

I just think that we still have a lot of room to grow in our democracy, and in promoting unity in Nigeria as a whole. It's almost like how the NYSC scheme tries(though failed woefully) to promote national unity, I just believe a better Nigeria would exist when we pay more attention to merit, and almost become blind to tribe, and become true Nigerians (since we are still together anyway).

Culture has nothing to do with the governor position as per the Nigerian constitution, and it can still be preserved even if merit, for instance, dictates that the best governorship candidate for a certain election be from a different tribe. You still would have Obas, Chiefs and Sheiks, but the best brains would always be at the top leading in the formal political structure.

Why are you these flat elements so crafty? Are you saying out of 1 Million people who are natives of a state, none of them can lead their own state as governor, so much so that they need a Nigerian from another tribe, especially that tribe of the iboelas, the Igbos from the land of the dead sun? Why do I ask? Because no northerner or westerner or an SS or MB is even remotely interested in being governor of any other state or people except his own land and people! The only exception are the greedy flat nematodes who cannot even contribute any productive endavour to Nigeria's economy, who claim the shaite-yard called Anambra or the seaport Island called Enugu or the amazon jungle of Abia are the japan and Dubai of Nigeria? You failed in finding one human being to lead an entire region, no even 1 political party from the SE ever succeeded but guess what? You figure it is better to leave your own backyard to go and be governor elsewhere? LWKMD! grin grin grin Ibo longthroaties will get their deathwish someday - soon!

4 Likes

Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by cocoduck: 10:19pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sloan is just a big tribalistic fool. your likes are the problem or Nigeria. The OP identified a problem in Nigeria and tries to put up a solution instead of contributing in a meaningful way to the proposed solutions you are busy goofing about showing to all and sundry how hopelessly stupid and chauvinistic your upside down brain is. How do you know he is igbo? and you and idiots like yourself keep on saying that we hate yoruba then idiots like yourself are the ones that love us
homo stupidus
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by Nobody: 10:26pm On Aug 23, 2014
Sloan:

Why are you these flat elements so crafty? Are you saying out of 1 Million people who are natives of a state, none of them can lead their own state as governor, so much so that they need a Nigerian from another tribe, especially that tribe of the iboelas, the Igbos from the land of the dead sun? Why do I ask? Because no northerner or westerner or an SS or MB is even remotely interested in being governor of any other state or people except his own land and people! The only exception are the greedy flat nematodes who cannot even contribute any productive endavour to Nigeria's economy, who claim the shaite-yard called Anambra or the seaport Island called Enugu or the amazon jungle of Abia are the japan and Dubai of Nigeria? You failed in finding one human being to lead an entire region, no even 1 political party from the SE ever succeeded but guess what? You figure it is better to leave your own backyard to go and be governor elsewhere? LWKMD! grin grin grin Ibo longthroaties will get their deathwish someday - soon!

It's obvious you are looking at this from a very sinister point of view, and this isn't really were I hoped to take the discussion.
Re: Can A Governor Be From A Different Tribe? True Democracy! by reedonne: 10:53pm On Aug 23, 2014
UchihaMadara:

It's obvious you are looking at this from a very sinister point of view, and this isn't really were I hoped to take the discussion.
That guy is simply tribalist.
But I still dont agree that a person from another tribe should be allow to rule me.
America is a country with only Americans. America have their culture, language(a typical american mother's tongue is english).
If yoruba and igbo or hausa have the same culture(dressing,moral,language etc) then I can allow them to rule over me.

(1) (Reply)

US, South Africa In Cold War With Nigeria / Almajiri System Is Keeping The North Down And Dragging Nigeria Backwards / Nigerians Need To Thank Idoma For Allowing David Mark Run For Fifth Term

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.