Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,395 members, 7,808,384 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:17 AM

New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car (9539 Views)

Why I'll Never Buy A Tokunbo Car Again / I Need Help My Chevrolet Optra / New Cars Vs Tokunbo Cars In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Funseeka(m): 4:34pm On Oct 23, 2008
Hi Guys, Could You Compare Buying A New Chevrolet Optra At N2.3m To A Tokunbo Toyota Camry, 2003 Model
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Fhemmmy: 7:43pm On Oct 23, 2008
Is this for a Nigerian Road or somewhere in the western world?
For Nigerian Road, i will advice to settle for a 2003 Camry, why?

1. Resale value is good.
2. Availability of parts and labour (Nigerians can fix Toyota better than Japanese sef)
3. Bigger and looks better.
4. Durable.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by abbyode(m): 9:43pm On Oct 23, 2008
Fhemmmy:

1. Resale value is good.
2. Availability of parts and labour (Nigerians can fix Toyota better than Japanese sef)
4. Durable.

I dont agree with u. Brand new car is the best anyday! How dare u compare a tokunbo car of about 8 year old with a brand new car, abeg. When exactly are nigerians going to be delivered from toks?
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by adeyemik: 10:50pm On Oct 23, 2008
Fhemmmy:

1. Resale value is good.
4. Durable.

I agree with Fhemmmy, it is far better to buy the 2003 toyota camry (tokunbo car) than buy a glorified junk as a new car in the likes of Kia, Chevrolet, Geely, felicia, Octava and Hyundai. Don't be deceived
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Fhemmmy: 1:50am On Oct 24, 2008
abbyode:

I don't agree with u. Brand new car is the best anyday! How dare u compare a tokunbo car of about 8 year old with a brand new car, abeg. When exactly are nigerians going to be delivered from toks?

Sorry oh! White man, and we Nigerians think about it that Toyota did not become world best sellers on nothing.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 10:29am On Oct 24, 2008
Brand new cars do not necessarily mean better cars. I have learnt from personal experience (mistakes). The saying, "THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO" applies to everything these days, including cars. The previous generation Camry is way more reliable than the new plastic Camry. New cars these days are just plastic. I don't know what the world is turning to. I have been in most new cars and all I feel around is plastic materials. Too bad.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by igwe11(m): 10:39am On Oct 24, 2008
sojioguns:

Brand new cars do not necessarily mean better cars. I have learnt from personal experience (mistakes). The saying, "THEY DON'T MAKE THEM LIKE THEY USED TO" applies to everything these days, including cars. The previous generation Camry is way more reliable than the new plastic Camry. New cars these days are just plastic. I don't know what the world is turning to. I have been in most new cars and all I feel around is plastic materials. Too bad.
Na true talk.

Everything is being integrated as to make bigger profit from smaller input.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by zesty: 10:47am On Oct 24, 2008
My dear i prefer the chevrolet optra.At least i can beat my chest and say that i have bought a new car.AND,i will not see the mechanic for at least a year.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 10:53am On Oct 24, 2008
zesty:

My dear i prefer the chevrolet optra.At least i can beat my chest and say that i have bought a new car.AND,i will not see the mechanic for at least a year.
There is nothing to be proud of buying a new car that really isn't value for money. After the year without visiting a mechanic, you could frequent the mechanic shop every other month. N2.3m is a lot of money oh. You probably won't be able to sell it @ 50% of its value later.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by spikedcylinder: 11:11am On Oct 24, 2008
abbyode:

I don't agree with u. Brand new car is the best anyday! How dare u compare a tokunbo car of about 8 year old with a brand new car, abeg. When exactly are nigerians going to be delivered from toks?

How can a car made in 2003 be 8 years old? Or is this some kind of auto language that I don't understand?
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by koko777(m): 11:19am On Oct 24, 2008
'Mint' of course! Toks my foot! Why bothering myself about reselling, i'll rather dash it out, if i no longer want it.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by JJYOU: 11:34am On Oct 24, 2008
spikedcylinder:

How can a car made in 2003 be 8 years old? Or is this some kind of auto language that I don't understand?
spike why you dey put wahala for my bros maths na? the bobo wan make him point you dey draw his leg out
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by jkpretty(f): 12:04pm On Oct 24, 2008
If i'm not mistakened, tokunbo cars don't all look beaten & myteriously wounded except they were 1st used by Nigerians. . .lol. Toks from abroad almost always look like brand new. I'ld prefer a toks Honda or toyota than any of those cheap brand ones.

Whether tokunbo or no tokunbo, a correct Toyota will always always oppress a Kia, in hold-ups . . . LMAO
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by c0274309: 12:06pm On Oct 24, 2008
I guess the decision of having a used car to a brand new one has to be based on factors of performance, reliability, future value (over 5 years monetary), maintenance costs, safety rating etc.

A good scenario example is the early 90's new Daewoo racer to the used Honda prelude (1988) 3- 4 years older counterpart. The Daewoo racer was new but reliability was extremely poor and maintenance was quite expensive. Today Daewoo racers are scarce to come by as owners phased them out but Honda prelude's are still running (in good state) all over the place.

If the Chevrolet is reliable and moderate to maintain in comparison to it's above counterpart then yes it will be the better option to take however knowing Detroit built cars I beg to differ, and trust me I know cos my cousin works with them and uses a Nissan!!

Ford - Fix or repair daily.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by PopinJ(m): 12:40pm On Oct 24, 2008
Some tokunbo cars are as good as brand new ones
and because it's tokunbo does not mean they've been over used.
All you need to do is to be very careful when selecting a particular one by checking the mileage and some other stuffs.
As for me, I'll go for a Camry that's as good as new with a mileage of nothing more than 50,000KM.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Fhemmmy: 12:54pm On Oct 24, 2008
zesty:

Dont start jumping up that you wont see a mechanic for at least one year, a car cld go wrong at anytimes, yes, you will be under warranty that will take care of the trouble, however, it all depends on maintenance, and like i said earlier, if you driving the vehicle on Nigerian road, i will stay away from Optra.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Aiyetunje: 2:05pm On Oct 24, 2008
My guy go for the Optra!

My dad uses an Optra bought 4 years ago & has not had cause to change anything in the car save for the regular maintainance jobs & things that need regular changing like oil, fan belt etc. the upholstery is still tight! The engine is untouched!

Can u vouch that same would happen to ur 03 Camry? I doubt it.

Go for the new car, I can vouch for its quality. Chevrolet may not be a common brand in Nigeria so peeps tend to look down on it but its a solid brand that will give u value for ur money!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by GoldCircle: 2:38pm On Oct 24, 2008
O boy go buy "tear rubber"! Dem dey forbid if you sef tear nylon comot from motor seats? No be so so use remain we go dey buy all the days of our lives!!

Tear rubber is it joo!! smiley smiley
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by c0274309: 2:55pm On Oct 24, 2008
Ask yourself this simple question will I buy a new Daewoo or a used 3-4 year old reliable car.

I know my choice as another name for the Chevrolet Optra is , you guessed right "DAEWOO LACETTI"!!!

embarassed

Or are we saying we don't remember Daewoo products again, Cheap, problematic, little resale value, expensive parts.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 3:01pm On Oct 24, 2008
@Aiyetunje. You listed fanbelt as part of things that need regular changing. That doesn't sound like a reliable car to me.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Fhemmmy: 3:12pm On Oct 24, 2008
There is nothing wrong in buying a brand new car and tear off the rubber, and smell the good "brand new" aroma in the car, but would u buy a lemon all in the name of tearing the rubber, i think that will be a big mistake, if you are so obsessed with brand new, buy something taht worths it, dish out real money for brand new rides with good quality and names, else, get what u can afford with rest of mind.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by nicenaira(m): 3:17pm On Oct 24, 2008
men there is nothing like a new car
believe me

www.secureajob..com
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by nicenaira(m): 3:20pm On Oct 24, 2008
A new car is the bomb

www.secureajob..com
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Aiyetunje: 3:40pm On Oct 24, 2008
Things like fanbelt are changed at regular intervals after the car has run a certain number of miles. . .

Thats what I meant!
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 4:11pm On Oct 24, 2008
The normal interval for replacing fan belts is every 3 years or 36,000 miles. How many times did ur dad change the belt?
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by freezy(m): 4:28pm On Oct 24, 2008
Aiyetunje:

My guy go for the Optra!

My dad uses an Optra bought 4 years ago & has not had cause to change anything in the car save for the regular maintainance jobs & things that need regular changing like oil, fan belt etc. the upholstery is still tight! The engine is untouched!

Can u vouch that same would happen to ur 03 Camry? I doubt it.

Go for the new car, I can vouch for its quality. Chevrolet may not be a common brand in Nigeria so peeps tend to look down on it but its a solid brand that will give u value for ur money!

Errr. . . 4 years ago? Guy, we introduced chevrolet to into the nigerian market mid 2006. May 16 to be exact.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by PopinJ(m): 4:33pm On Oct 24, 2008
Errr. . . 4 years ago? Guy, we introduced chevrolet to into the nigerian market mid 2006. May 16 to be exact.

hehehehe,
You don hammer my guy with a 7 inch nail o,
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by tkb417(m): 4:39pm On Oct 24, 2008
how can a toks be berra than Brand new.
Maybe that Camry is better than the Optra but a 2003 camry cannot be better than Elantra and a Sonata even if its Hyundai that made them.
Toyota and Honda are overpriced!!! cant see myself paying 2.2m for 2004 EOD when i'll just add probably between 500-800k to get a smashing brand new car. (even if its the new Optima, its a lot berra than a 2004 Honda)

make una pray make the spirit of aloku leave una lives!!
bend down this, bend down that
na wa o
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 4:41pm On Oct 24, 2008
Why didn't i think of that. Maybe his dad imported it.
@ tkb417 You are talking about Hyundai, which is to me the most improved Korean car. They make great cars. We are talking about a Chevrolet optra here. Chevrolet/Daewoo, make up your minds.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by Fhemmmy: 5:00pm On Oct 24, 2008
tkb417:

how can a toks be berra than Brand new.
Maybe that Camry is better than the Optra but a 2003 camry cannot be better than Elantra and a Sonata even if its Hyundai that made them.
Toyota and Honda are overpriced!!! can't see myself paying 2.2m for 2004 EOD when i'll just add probably between 500-800k to get a smashing brand new car. (even if its the new Optima, its a lot berra than a 2004 Honda)

make una pray make the spirit of aloku leave una lives!!
bend down this, bend down that
na wa o

This thread is not about Hyundai, it is about Optra.
Chevy dont have good record my guy, lately, they are trying to improve the looks and still not the performances.
Hyundai has been so much improved, that Toyota and Honda shd be worried, Hundai, even in the western world, they are taking over, see the new Genesis and you will raise your hat for them.
But for Optra? i will still settle for a 1992 honda accord instead of that boz of lemon.
Sorry, but just my own preference.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by freezy(m): 5:06pm On Oct 24, 2008
Yeh, most improved car but its still got its issues.
Beacause of the pedigree, demand outgrew supply
The cars had to be mass produced to meet demand
Two of ma colleagues got the Elantra.
The cars have broken down at least twice each.
To top it all, Stallion motors say the cars cannot be replaced.
Even new cars get their own yawa.
If u r buying new, buy a trusted brand with a beautiful 2nd hand value.
I know some 1 whose still trying to sell a 14 mnth old Kia Optima for 1m. (it was 1.3 last month & 'd probably drop to like 800k next month
My car is 2 years old & i still get askin of 2m.
My guys, make una shine una eye.
Re: New Chevrolet Optra Vs Tokunbo Car by sojioguns(m): 5:25pm On Oct 24, 2008
14 month old kia optima for 1m. I think that is a great deal. Can we see pics?
In as much as we all clamour for the 'trusted' names. They too mess up. The reliability of TOyotas and Hondas is not as it used to be.
@freezy. The only reason you still get that amount for your car is because its demand is high. I bet it is either a Toyota or Honda. It doesn't mean it is far better than the optima.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What's D Best Oil To Service Sienna Engine. / Number Plates: How Well Do You Know Your Car? / FRSC To Impound Motorcycles, Tricycles Without Number Plates From August

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.