Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,561 members, 7,809,046 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry (148893 Views)

How To Survive In The Oil And Gas Industry? / How Do I Break Into Oil & Gas Industry In Nigeria? / Highest Paid Jobs In Nigeria Apart From The Oil Industry. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 6:22am On Aug 25, 2014
waltrek: Do Business Administrators have any chance in the oil and gas world.?
Yes they do, of course. Bus admin is a social science. You can consider HR, procurement, logistic services and secretarial roles. They are the non-technical but essential units in oil firms. Just make sure you are flexible and adjust to industry needs. Certifications and trainings will aid in that respect. I'm actually a procurement analyst.
But overall, they don't get as much openings as engineers and co (which is expected).
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Feex: 8:18am On Aug 25, 2014
Nice thread and great discussion so far. I am learning a lot. I think Seun and the mods should move this to front page for more valuable contributions.

Imag5, how can one get NDT certification?
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by crudedude(m): 8:19am On Aug 25, 2014
Xfire what can you say about ROV Piloting? I keep seeing the job ad every where.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 8:22am On Aug 25, 2014
Feex: Nice thread and great discussion so far. I am learning a lot. I think Seun and the mods should move this to front page for more valuable contributions.

Imag5, how can one get NDT certification?
so many good NDT sch out there,am currently the head of training/qaqc dept in my coy,send me pm,we discuss on how to get certified.location of training is PH.

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 25, 2014
hmmm ROV another good area but very expensive to get certified most certification are done oversea...but you must have a good knowledge of subsea engineering,mechanical,electrical,physics.their pay na die....one thing about oil and gas is that they are so many ways to break in,give in your best and pray to God..thats all u need
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 8:59am On Aug 25, 2014
imag5: hmmm ROV another good area but very expensive to get certified most certification are done oversea...but you must have a good knowledge of subsea engineering,mechanical,electrical,physics.their pay na die....one thing about oil and gas is that they are so many ways to break in,give in your best and pray to God..thats all u need
okay Sir.
But how adviceable is it to pursue these exorbitant certification oneself since most of this Coys train their new recruits?
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 10:50am On Aug 25, 2014
imag5: hmm it good to be here,that list above is cool but as for me electrical and electronics guys have been dominating oil and gas field they fit into anywhere subsea and other technical area,but you forgot to mention NDT technicians,those guys are in high demand like craze coded job cool cash,you work offshore inspecting drilling tools,pipeline,platform etc am a geophysicst but to tell you the truth geoscience no longer sells in nigeria like that simple reason is that most seismic survey as been carried out long ago..so was going on now is drilling and other engineering role ie production.where they recruit 5 geoscientist,50 engineers will be also be recruited you can see the ratio,i have been in the geo-science field but am currently into Asset integrity....via NDT,(am ASNT NDT CERTIFIED IN ET,UT,LPT,RFI,DPI,MT LEVEL 2) though am planing msc in exploration geophysics in uniport.as for experience you can get it anyday any time,you can decide to volunteer..for any small oil and gas coy.
less i forget corrossion engineering is another wicked area.

kudos xfire

imag5

Great, great contribution imag. I completely agree with you that NDT (non-destructive testing) technicians are hot cakes as you need them in any major engineering project in the oil and gas (construction, repairs, revamp, manufacturing, etc.). As a matter of fact, there is urgent need for NDT technicians in countries like Canada as they are in short supply. However, this is just a list of the top 10 (i.e. some of the most demanded oil jobs in the world). It's not a comprehensive list. Thanks for adding that.

I also concur that most of the seismic surveys in Nigeria has been done years ago. Nigeria's fields have been well analyzed and really, the risk of investment is low as most of the fields have been studied. It is normal to have more engineers in drilling and production work for obvious reasons as you mentioned. However, you still need geologists at the early stage of drilling. Besides, the list did not limit the demand to only Nigeria. There are oil exploration projects going on around the world, thus experienced geoscientists and seismic interpreters are in high demand. It's always difficult for young graduates to break into the industry. In many cases, they even need an MSc or even a PhD to be considered for employment. But once established, they are hot cakes.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 10:51am On Aug 25, 2014
Geniuz: Sir xfire, can someone who studied Electrical/Electronics Engineering and did instrumentation and control in his finals work as an Instrumentation and control engineer in an oil and gas company?
of course. You don't even need to do a final year project in I & C to be employed for an I & C engineering role. There are many elect/elect engineers working as I & C engineers in the oil industry.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by boneruns(m): 11:38am On Aug 25, 2014
Do Risk Analyst have a stake in the industry? Operational Risk, Information Security, to be precise.

I've not seen any advert that suggest they are needed.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 2:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
addictiv: inspiring thread op. i am a graduate of gas engineering currently planning on going for Msc in the US but am having difficulties in picking between Drilling, Subsea and Production engineering. i want to engage myself in facing the challenges in the industry as well as fix myself in an area that guarantees job security globally and attractive remuneration . i dont intend to spend more than 15 yrs in the industry before retiring to set up an O&G firm back home. advice pls
All three guarantee job security and attractive pay package. Drilling and subsea are particularly great.
There are various services offered in the oil industry. Except for consulting and a few other services, it's capital intensive to set up an O & G firm except you do it with other partners that are willing to provide required funds. What type of O & G firm do you intend to set up?
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 7:31pm On Aug 25, 2014
imag5: hmm it good to be here,that list above is cool but as for me electrical and electronics guys have been dominating oil and gas field they fit into anywhere subsea and other technical area,but you forgot to mention NDT technicians,those guys are in high demand like craze coded job cool cash,you work offshore inspecting drilling tools,pipeline,platform etc am a geophysicst but to tell you the truth geoscience no longer sells in nigeria like that simple reason is that most seismic survey as been carried out long ago..so was going on now is drilling and other engineering role ie production.where they recruit 5 geoscientist,50 engineers will be also be recruited you can see the ratio,i have been in the geo-science field but am currently into Asset integrity....via NDT,(am ASNT NDT CERTIFIED IN ET,UT,LPT,RFI,DPI,MT LEVEL 2) though am planing msc in exploration geophysics in uniport.as for experience you can get it anyday any time,you can decide to volunteer..for any small oil and gas coy.
less i forget corrossion engineering is another wicked area.

kudos xfire

imag5
nice one bro, bt I tink d PCN guys are really having an upper hand against d ASNT guys in terms of demand....tho I stand to be corrected
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by addictiv(m): 7:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by addictiv(m): 7:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
xfire:
All three guarantee job security and attractive pay package. Drilling and subsea are particularly great.
There are various services offered in the oil industry. Except for consulting and a few other services, it's capital intensive to set up an O & G firm except you do it with other partners that are willing to provide required funds. What type of O & G firm do you intend to set up?
Thanks Op.

Mainly servicing, production of drilling fluids and provision of well completion and optimization services for now.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 9:24pm On Aug 25, 2014
profem1: how does mathematics fit in here??
cheesy Oil and gas industry is big. Cuts across so many disciplines. Just that some disciplines are much higher in demand than others.
A postgraduate degree in a more relevant course will give you a better chance of 'fitting in' there.
Good luck

By the way, mathematics is a great course

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by TheCode(m): 8:24am On Aug 26, 2014
xfire back with another great thread... the world is becoming a better place. pls advice: I'm torn between petroleum engineering and petroleum geoscience for my M.Sc and I want the one that would make me much more indispensible in the Oil and Gas industry. I am presently a graduate of Chemical Engineering.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by SundayPhilip: 9:29am On Aug 26, 2014
Where does an agricultural and bioresources engineer fit in this oil and Gas industry. Thank you

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 11:30am On Aug 26, 2014
TheCode: xfire back with another great thread... the world is becoming a better place. pls advice: I'm torn between petroleum engineering and petroleum geoscience for my M.Sc and I want the one that would make me much more indispensible in the Oil and Gas industry. I am presently a graduate of Chemical Engineering.
Lol. Why will you want to make a drastic switch from engineering to geoscience? You won't be able to compete with people with Bsc geoscience + MSc petroleum geoscience. You don't even have the requisite qualifications. Better stick to your engineering.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by TheCode(m): 11:58am On Aug 26, 2014
gudrated:
Lol. Why will you want to make a drastic switch from engineering to geoscience? You won't be able to compete with people with Bsc geoscience + MSc petroleum geoscience. You don't even have the requisite qualifications. Better stick to your engineering.

Lol. What do you mean by 'I wont be able to compete...'? As a chemical engineering graduate, I can move to geoscience. I am well informed on that. If its a matter of the IQ and hardwork involved to succeed, dont worry...
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by TheCode(m): 2:02pm On Aug 26, 2014
TheCode: xfire back with another great thread... the world is becoming a better place. pls advice: I'm torn between petroleum engineering and petroleum geoscience for my M.Sc and I want the one that would make me much more indispensible in the Oil and Gas industry. I am presently a graduate of Chemical Engineering.

xfire i still dey wait o
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 6:32pm On Aug 26, 2014
TheCode: xfire back with another great thread... the world is becoming a better place. pls advice: I'm torn between petroleum engineering and petroleum geoscience for my M.Sc and I want the one that would make me much more indispensable in the Oil and Gas industry. I am presently a graduate of Chemical Engineering.
I wouldn't advise you to go for an MSc in petroleum geoscience for the following
1) It will be hard to sell yourself to any employer with a BSc in chemical engineering and MSc in petroleum geoscience. This doesn't not have anything to do with your intelligence. Most employers will be more disposed to candidates with BSc and MSc in geosciences.
2) There are more job opportunities in the industry for engineers than for geoscientists. Go to an average oil exploration and producing firm, the ratio of engineers to geoscientists may be like 5 or 6 to 1, or even more.
3) The combination is far apart. You will hardly see a reputable institution which will willing to offer you an MSc in petroleum geoscience with a degree in chemical engineering. Only schools of low repute (even in UK) who are more interested in your money will do that. The differences between the 2 courses are much. so, having a BSc in chemical engineering + MSc in petroleum geoscience from a lowly rated school = bad sell

6 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Champella(m): 12:24am On Aug 27, 2014
Xfire. . .coming up with sensible posts since 500BC cool

2 Likes

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Mixty: 5:43am On Aug 27, 2014
Moderators, kindly push this to the front page. It will benefit many. Necessary for more contributions.

I am actually thinking of going for a masters in welding engineering, but might switch to subsea

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by felix281(m): 9:05am On Aug 27, 2014
@xfire,kudos to u. I have a B.eng in mechanical engineering as well as an experience in die penetral inspection of directional drilling tools, basic knowledge of directional drilling during my internship..am vying to do my M.eng in my same school. Please,advice me on which course to study that will supplement my keen interest in oil and gas...thanks.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by doziej84: 11:40am On Aug 27, 2014
@xfire, imag5, and any poster in this thread who has the wherewithal to help.
please i am looking for a Job or Internship opportunity, even it means working for free. i need experience and i need it badly.
I've got a degree in Geophysics.

Thanks
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 12:50pm On Aug 27, 2014
SundayPhilip: Where does an agricultural and bioresources engineer fit in this oil and Gas industry. Thank you
Lol. Maybe in the research centers for biofuel and clean energy sources
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Nobody: 12:51pm On Aug 27, 2014
TheCode:

Lol. What do you mean by 'I wont be able to compete...'? As a chemical engineering graduate, I can move to geoscience. I am well informed on that. If its a matter of the IQ and hardwork involved to succeed, dont worry...
It's not a matter of IQ. Read xfire's comment. I think it captures it all.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by Feex: 6:03pm On Aug 27, 2014
I currently work in the food and beverages industry. I earn a decent income though won't mind to earn more.
I have always dreamt of moving to the oil industry but I am a bot weary of job security. I think that oil and gas industry is cyclical. When oil prices are high, many jobs are created but when oil prices are low, thousands of jobs are lost and oil firms start embarking on job losses. Though high oil prices have been sustained for quite a well.

Though I will like to move, I wonder if my years of experience as a process/production engineer will count when applying for jobs. I don't want to start from entry level or earn pays commiserate with entry level. Is the engineering experience in food/beverage industry (maintenance of boilers, steam pipes, pumps, chillers, process vessels, etc.) useful in the oil industry?

And how about job security in the oil industry?

Thanks
-xfire, gudrated and others, kindly assist
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by DrFunmi(f): 10:54pm On Aug 27, 2014
@OP
Tanks 4 highlighting some of top courses in the oil industry, though u left out occupational health as HSE is very essential 2 oil companies. I believe dat there is a demand for occupational health /industrial health workers in d industry, especially offshore health workers. Am currently considering dat option since I am in d medical line. Wat do u tink?
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by xfire: 11:46am On Aug 28, 2014
Feex: I currently work in the food and beverages industry. I earn a decent income though won't mind to earn more.
I have always dreamt of moving to the oil industry but I am a bot weary of job security. I think that oil and gas industry is cyclical. When oil prices are high, many jobs are created but when oil prices are low, thousands of jobs are lost and oil firms start embarking on job losses. Though high oil prices have been sustained for quite a well.

Though I will like to move, I wonder if my years of experience as a process/production engineer will count when applying for jobs. I don't want to start from entry level or earn pays commiserate with entry level. Is the engineering experience in food/beverage industry (maintenance of boilers, steam pipes, pumps, chillers, process vessels, etc.) useful in the oil industry?

And how about job security in the oil industry?

Thanks
-xfire, gudrated and others, kindly assist

very industry has its up and down. The oil industry is not exempted. Generally speaking, there is job stability in the sector. In most cases, technology evolves in the sector, and one has to be adaptable to change. In addition, many simply move from one company to another within the sector.

Industries have different engineering needs and concepts. Even reputable firms (Total, BP, Exxon, Shell, Baker Hughes, Petrobas, etc) have their unique systems, processes, structures and even technologies. So you will still need to learn a lot if you move across industries or within the same industry.
I have never heard of an experienced engineer (5+ years) moving from another industry to the oil industry, except for a change of career. I have heard and seen experienced accountants, safety officers, HR practitioners, security experts, IT experts, etc. but not engineers. I am sure there are, and they will definitely not start at entry level.
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by edwardjr: 2:08pm On Aug 28, 2014
OP wat r d prospects of environmental engr. in the oil and gas industry as u've nt mentiond it amongst ur ratings?
Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by autofreak2020(m): 3:26pm On Aug 28, 2014
xfire:

for employment. But once es
Please do you have an idea of where and how I can get qualification and certification as NDT technician in Nigeria?
I do not want quack, impromptu or seminar like training like the one advertised by mound inspections.

1 Like

Re: Top 10 Most Demanded Jobs In The Oil And Gas Industry by bluish(f): 5:06pm On Aug 28, 2014
@xfire

Sir,petroleum engineers should be on high demand too.

Wats ur take on dat?

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / ACCA Or ICAN: Which Is Better? / Logistics Or Supply Chain Management

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.