Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,484 members, 7,808,759 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:28 PM

Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors (2088 Views)

Fear Of Ebola: Villagers Flee From The Sight Of Red Cross And Western Doctors / How Do Doctors Calculate Medical Bills? / Mosquitoes Find Some People More Delicious Than Others (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by 5minsmadness: 9:10am On Aug 24, 2014
Reasons why people hate doctors:

1. They wanted to become doctors themselves but never had the chance.

2. In medical school their doctor counterparts never interacted with them and so they interpreted it to mean pride instead of realising they didn't just have the time.

3. Some medical students were proud assholes. But that is so for other professions as well.

4. The money they earn. They don't understand why their friend who they knew yesterday now earns more than them.

5. Their rise in stature after they graduate. They still look like they are too busy for you but the truth is they still don't have the time.

6. People go to see doctors when they are sick and helpless and at thier most vulnerable. Some doctors don't empathise with patients maybe because they are too busy and overworked. The number of patients seen by a doctor daily in goverment hospitals is disgustingly too much! Its like a market! Thar's why i prefer private.

Doctors can tell from a glance when an illness is serious or minor. The minor ones they treat dismissively without much attention not knowing that the patients feelings are hurt because they really don't know what is happening to them and feel the doctor should give them all the attention.

7. When people are sick in hospital they are asking for your help. Shouting on your patients at such a time makes them feel humiliated. When they get better they won't remember the good you did but will instead attribute it to God. Meanwhile they will hold a grudge and anger against the doctor.

8. Most people don't know what doctors really do. Most people think doctors only treat typhoid and malaria. They don't know about the many other sickness out there. If they did they would be more appreciative of you.

9. Most Nigerians, a large majority are IGNORANT. its not their fault, this county's education sector is a shambles. That's why some graduates were willing to drink salt and water to cure Ebola.

10. Some senior doctors insult junior doctors in precence of patients. I have personally seen this happen in LUTH. And after insulting and humiliating the young doctor whom we thought had been doing a good job they still let him attend to us. Of course outlr confidence in him had died completely by then and when we went after the Oga he said he's not supposed to handle the case. So why not correct the doctor in private? If you don't respect your kind how do you expect others to respect you?

11. Some people are just greedy and want to harvest where they have not planted.

12. Plain old jealousy for jealousy's sake. These people are angry at anybody that is seen to becoming better than them. If tomorrow the rich man on their street dies they will rejoice simply because something bad has befallen them. If a jeep crashes in their front it will sweet them because now the person has to trek like they do. If tomorrow the doctors start earning N1000 a month they will be happy that at least let the doctor suffer small.

Those are my reasons why I feel there is so much hatred for doctors in this country. Hopefully things will get better because like it or not they are the custodians of our health as a nation

Three people you must pay well without question: Your lawyer, your doctor and your security for they are the ones that guard your life and freedom.
Thank you.

9 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by Nobody: 10:01am On Aug 24, 2014
A very funny and true post....
Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by onihaxy: 10:09am On Aug 24, 2014
undecided
Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by emmke(m): 11:19am On Aug 24, 2014
loool what a joker...no one hates doctors. from what I know, doctors are always fighting tooth and nail to ensure other health workers do not rise to the peak of their profession (just read their 24 demands). this op, however, believes that these same doctors should get kisses and hugs from these same guys...it's like Ballotelli saying everyone hates him cos he's sooo good..em, dude everyone hates you cos of your nasty attitude.

hahahahaha what a clown...

4 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by jjwaterfalls(f): 7:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
Am starting to think d op is a doc.

MeanwhilE yur write-up doesn't look like it was researched on, rather it looks like It was written 4rm ur mind and u were angry whilE writting it, cos itS too provocativE undecided

2 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by 5minsmadness: 7:37am On Aug 25, 2014
jjwaterfalls: Am starting to think d op is a doc.

MeanwhilE yur write-up doesn't look like it was researched on, rather it looks like It was written 4rm ur mind and u were angry whilE writting it, cos itS too provocativE undecided
No I'm not.

I didn't research anything o grin Na as e dey my mind I talk am o. Research ke.
I wasn't trying to come off as angry, just trying to see the whole issue from an unbiased point of view. It was even a bit funny to me sef smiley
Wetin provocate you inside?

3 Likes

Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by chookudi(m): 12:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
The following represent the views of someone i knew back in LUTH days when we were both students ( i am not a medical doctor) and he goes by the name Dr Fasehun

OK, so I know I'm gonna get a huge bashing for this, but here goes: Let's face it, asides from the 0.5% of Nigeria-trained residents that attended private medical schools, about 99.5% of these resident doctors basically went through medical school, tuition-free! To the best of my knowledge, no matter how much public universities collect for housing, exams, etc, the truth is that university lecturers and consultants are still paid by the Federal Government. We all must realize that: (1) There are no hidden costs, anywhere. Whatever is 'free' has a price being borne by someone else. (2) If the Federal Government, or earlier regimes of it, have invested heavily in the medical education of Nigerian doctors, whether they be residents or not, is it too much for the same Govt to ask for a little 'consideration' from us doctors? I do not think so. While I stand to be corrected on this point, the information I gather from the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) is that, while residents didn't work in July, they got paid full salaries with allowances. Now, before I go too far, on this very controversial issue, I must say this loud and clear: 'Residents are Indispensable!' The Federal Govt, the FMoH and the good people of Nigeria need residents. There's absolutely no doubt about that! So, for some of us, we never needed a genie to tell us the 'strike-sack' will NOT last; of course, it won't. It wasn't meant to! And, yes, I agree that a 'sack of residents' might not be the best decision, but, as a Manager, some rather Machiavellian actions need to be taken, sometimes, in order to prevent an employee feeling too powerful, and holding the organization to ransom. Some top organizations in the world, including big corporations in Lagos and Port-Harcourt have had to let go staff that were seemingly growing too powerful, even though these staff were quickly re-absorbed, after a seemingly 'chill' period. I will also like to state, very clearly, that this is neither a public support of the Govt and the FMoH, nor a social media condemnation of both, but it will be great if all of us can think about this clearly. We all claim that these 'old professors' had it good in their time: medical students were paid stipends; residents had better facilities to work with (including the One Year Abroad), etc. However, we fail to realize that we no longer live in the 1960s, when Nigeria only had a few medical schools; we also do not live in the oil-boom early 1970s, when there was so much wealth, matched with a moderate population. Nigeria has changed!! We need to accept that fact, and live with it. The population has exploded; medical students in Nigeria will prefer to be accommodated in the 'cosy' rooms of Guantanamo Bay, than the over-bedded rooms they currently have. Whether we like it or not, this population issue will always come up: we need to have policies and incentives to dramatically increase Nigeria's contraceptive prevalence rate (CPR), and soon! Like many of us reading this, I have met the Honourable Minister several times, at home and abroad, and while I do not expressly approve of all of his decisions, I know that there's only so much a man can take: he's not just a doctor, he's also a manager, and there's only so much a manager can take from an employee. The problems of Nigeria's healthcare system cut deeper than the failure of infrastructure, poor workers' salaries (and conditions of work), and others. And, yes, a 'sack of residents' may or may not have been the best decision. However, I dare to say that, at that point, and having been pushed to the wall, it was the 'right decision.'

1 Like

Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by chookudi(m): 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2014
hmm
Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by Arosam(m): 4:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
chookudi: The following represent the views of someone i knew back in LUTH days when we were both students ( i am not a medical doctor) and he goes by the name Dr Fasehun

OK, so I know I'm gonna get a huge bashing for this, but here goes: Let's face it, asides from the 0.5% of Nigeria-trained residents that attended private medical schools, about 99.5% of these resident doctors basically went through medical school, tuition-free! To the best of my knowledge, no matter how much public universities collect for housing, exams, etc, the truth is that university lecturers and consultants are still paid by the Federal Government. We all must realize that: (1) There are no hidden costs, anywhere. Whatever is 'free' has a price being borne by someone else. (2) If the Federal Government, or earlier regimes of it, have invested heavily in the medical education of Nigerian doctors, whether they be residents or not, is it too much for the same Govt to ask for a little 'consideration' from us doctors? I do not think so. While I stand to be corrected on this point, the information I gather from the Federal Ministry of Health (FMoH) is that, while residents didn't work in July, they got paid full salaries with allowances. Now, before I go too far, on this very controversial issue, I must say this loud and clear: 'Residents are Indispensable!' The Federal Govt, the FMoH and the good people of Nigeria need residents. There's absolutely no doubt about that! So, for some of us, we never needed a genie to tell us the 'strike-sack' will NOT last; of course, it won't. It wasn't meant to! And, yes, I agree that a 'sack of residents' might not be the best decision, but, as a Manager, some rather Machiavellian actions need to be taken, sometimes, in order to prevent an employee feeling too powerful, and holding the organization to ransom. Some top organizations in the world, including big corporations in Lagos and Port-Harcourt have had to let go staff that were seemingly growing too powerful, even though these staff were quickly re-absorbed, after a seemingly 'chill' period. I will also like to state, very clearly, that this is neither a public support of the Govt and the FMoH, nor a social media condemnation of both, but it will be great if all of us can think about this clearly. We all claim that these 'old professors' had it good in their time: medical students were paid stipends; residents had better facilities to work with (including the One Year Abroad), etc. However, we fail to realize that we no longer live in the 1960s, when Nigeria only had a few medical schools; we also do not live in the oil-boom early 1970s, when there was so much wealth, matched with a moderate population. Nigeria has changed!! We need to accept that fact, and live with it. The population has exploded; medical students in Nigeria will prefer to be accommodated in the 'cosy' rooms of Guantanamo Bay, than the over-bedded rooms they currently have. Whether we like it or not, this population issue will always come up: we need to have policies and incentives to dramatically increase Nigeria's contraceptive prevalence rate (CPR), and soon! Like many of us reading this, I have met the Honourable Minister several times, at home and abroad, and while I do not expressly approve of all of his decisions, I know that there's only so much a man can take: he's not just a doctor, he's also a manager, and there's only so much a manager can take from an employee. The problems of Nigeria's healthcare system cut deeper than the failure of infrastructure, poor workers' salaries (and conditions of work), and others. And, yes, a 'sack of residents' may or may not have been the best decision. However, I dare to say that, at that point, and having been pushed to the wall, it was the 'right decision.'
Seconded
Re: Reasons Why Some People Hate Doctors by ifyclose2(m): 10:52pm On Aug 25, 2014
emmke: loool what a joker...no one hates doctors. from what I know, doctors are always fighting tooth and nail to ensure other health workers do not rise to the peak of their profession (just read their 24 demands). this op, however, believes that these same doctors should get kisses and hugs from these same guys...it's like Ballotelli saying everyone hates him cos he's sooo good..em, dude everyone hates you cos of your nasty attitude.

hahahahaha what a clown...
the OP has spoken d truth, and you simply can't handle it.

(1) (Reply)

Desist From Swimming! / Blast That Tommy Fat Fast / Getting Rid Of Belly Fat After A Caesarean Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.