Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,819 members, 7,802,625 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 05:43 PM

Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School (1611 Views)

Pls My Friend Needs Advice. He Was Paid Half Salary. / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward / After Studying Geology For 4 Years, What Next? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by Jelailah(f): 12:30pm On Aug 24, 2014
I have just been offered an admission to study mathematics but i'm scared i may nt be able to secure a job after school. I have made a lot of research and i found out that most companies would rather employ an engineer than a mathematician. I also want to ask if there's any professional exam mathematicians do like ICAN. I would also be glad if i can meet a mathematician who was able to secure a gud job after skul so as to encourage me . Prefarably a female but i will appreciate comments 4rm d male folks too. Apart 4rm teaching or lecturing. Thank you
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by Nobody: 3:51pm On Aug 24, 2014
Thr av been threads about dis topic b4, thr r lot of jobs u can do wt mathematics aside teaching or lecturing e.g finance, telecommunications etc bt all this require further qualifications. jst search 4 it here on nairaland n u wil get ur answers
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by profem1(m): 10:54pm On Aug 24, 2014
professional exams like ican, acca, Cisco.... anyone
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by Nobody: 2:52am On Aug 25, 2014
It's really good you're asking these questions now. I have seen cases where people wait till they are through with school before they start asking questions about job prospects.
I feel you have a bird at hand! An admission to the university is always better than NONE. It is either you accept or Regect. What you do is ultimately your decision and yours alone. But if i were you, i'll accept the admission and start inquiring(NOW) about what Change of Course entails. After which i'll concurrently prepare myself for Next year's Post UTME.
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by stephengee(m): 1:14am On Aug 26, 2014
I studied maths in schl too and am now a graduate. Now after school,it depends on your interest,mathematicians can branch into any science field. I personally av interest into ICT. so am doing my masters in ICT and also av a certification in an IT field from NIIT. just to av an edge. so it depends on your interest,be it accounting, finance,it,engineering, education. name it
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by tobex234: 7:33am On Sep 02, 2014
stephengee: I studied maths in schl too and am now a graduate. Now after school,it depends on your interest,mathematicians can branch into any science field. I personally av interest into ICT. so am doing my masters in ICT and also av a certification in an IT field from NIIT. just to av an edge. so it depends on your interest,be it accounting, finance,it,engineering, education. name it

Stephengee, would you love to drop your contact details or just hook me up tobi@creativitykills.co.

I am a Mathematics graduate too, presently serving. I am a programmer/web developer. Mathematicians are hot cakes bro, I can't forget how I gapped my colleagues in the interview exam we did on camp.
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by Feex: 10:27am On Sep 02, 2014
Jelailah: I have just been offered an admission to study mathematics but i'm scared i may nt be able to secure a job after school. I have made a lot of research and i found out that most companies would rather employ an engineer than a mathematician. I also want to ask if there's any professional exam mathematicians do like ICAN. I would also be glad if i can meet a mathematician who was able to secure a gud job after skul so as to encourage me . Prefarably a female but i will appreciate comments 4rm d male folks too. Apart 4rm teaching or lecturing. Thank you
To be very candid with you, if you are smart and still young, go for or switch to engineering preferably electrical engineering since it is similar to Mathematics. Mathematics ain't bad as you can get jobs in schools, universities, bank, audit firms, IT etc. like any other graduate but you will always be at a disadvantage to the engineers when it comes jobs in oil and gas, telecommunication, manufacturing and to some extent IT.

I am just being truthful. People, especially mathematicians and lecturers may tell you all kinds of sweet things about the course but you will realize the stark truth when you get to the labour market.

if age is not on your side, stick to mathematics. It isn't a bad course by any standard.
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by stephengee(m): 10:11pm On Sep 02, 2014
tobex234:

Stephengee, would you love to drop your contact details or just hook me up tobi@creativitykills.co.

I am a Mathematics graduate too, presently serving. I am a programmer/web developer. Mathematicians are hot cakes bro, I can't forget how I gapped my colleagues in the interview exam we did on camp.
whatsapp-08062460066
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by mikeayus(m): 10:13pm On Dec 22, 2014
stephengee:
whatsapp-08062460066
Ama add u up too boss, m a 300 level undergraduate of mathematics. . Like to hear so much from u.. .Thanks
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by ipledge01: 10:49pm On Dec 22, 2014
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by asalimpo(m): 11:11pm On Dec 22, 2014
Why did you apply to study mathematics if what you really wanted is something else?

Career-wise, and looking further than just money,
there is no prominent mathematician/physicist out of nigeria.
You could set a target to win the fields medal, the wolf oe Abel prize.
You could tackle one of the millenium problems (the kind perelman solved in d negative and rejected the prize money on)

you could continue where von neumann left off, and try to advance the field of computer science/economics.

You could patent an algorithm and sell your work for good money.
Knowledge is a form of capital, but its only those working on the edge of their fields tht really understand this statement.
You could read up on wolfram alpha (an answers engine )
it takes a very smart mind to create that.

If all u want is a good job other posts have addressed that.
Re: Advise Pls. My Job Opportunity After Studying Mathematics In School by COOLCATS: 7:56am On Dec 23, 2014
Jelailah:
I have just been offered an admission to study mathematics but i'm scared i may nt be able to secure a job after school. I have made a lot of research and i found out that most companies would rather employ an engineer than a mathematician. I also want to ask if there's any professional exam mathematicians do like ICAN. I would also be glad if i can meet a mathematician who was able to secure a gud job after skul so as to encourage me . Prefarably a female but i will appreciate comments 4rm d male folks too. Apart 4rm teaching or lecturing. Thank you
pls your course is not bad , just make sure you come out with good grades. You match with every physical sciences. You can work in any sector of the economy.

(1) (Reply)

Job Interview Tips - Job Interview Questions And Answers ( A Must Watch ) / Can 0ne Million Naira Tk Me Abroad / Should I Pick Up This Offer Or Go To India?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.