Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,639 members, 7,801,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 02:06 AM

Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix (6882 Views)

Giant Fawn Gsd Pups Available For New Home / Fawn Gsd On Heat / How To Identify A Gsd Mix (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 4:00am On Aug 30, 2014
Alikaxon: Dog is not security. Stop using that as an excuse for keeping them... You love dogs, fine. The way you over emphasize them makes me wonder; when so much of your time, money, and attention is spent on "buying," "training" and "feeding" dogs; It will limit the level of your achievement. Time, energy and focus are tools, that gears meaningful achievement, if utilized well. You've achieved something already, yes, but you could achieve more, you know ? Its my opinion!
abeg go and siddown!!! angry
Seun continue o jare. I always like dog stories

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by ayobase(m): 9:47am On Sep 10, 2014
seun, pls post pictures of the dog and related pics or I don't believe.
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by arcbay(m): 5:16pm On Sep 10, 2014
Wow!!! I love this...I had the intention of starting up a thread like this for a long while now, this will create an avenue where animal behaviorists and pet trainers can share experiences, starters and newbies can also learn from them. I've always shared the belief that dogs do speak but it takes only a wise man to decipher the dog's true intent. You should give your pet all the attention he needs and try build a chemistry between you two, only then can you enjoy the values of breeding...I hereby implore all pet behaviorists and trainers to please share their past and present experiences here...As people say, learning never ends. CHEERS!!!

2 Likes

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 9:42am On Sep 15, 2014
Alikaxon: Dog is not security. Stop using that as an excuse for keeping them... You love dogs, fine. The way you over emphasize them makes me wonder; when so much of your time, money, and attention is spent on "buying," "training" and "feeding" dogs; It will limit the level of your achievement. Time, energy and focus are tools, that gears meaningful achievement, if utilized well. You've achieved something already, yes, but you could achieve more, you know ? Its my opinion!
Years from now, you will read the above again and feel ashamed by this manifestation of the overbearing arrogance & ignorance of your youth.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 9:58am On Sep 15, 2014
I'd like to "house train" my dog. Currently, he prefers to spend most of his time outside. He comes inside only to disturb me. When he's inside he demands food and attention. I dare not lie down on a flat surface of reclining chair, or he'll climb all over me and won't stop until I return to a more elevated position. If he doesn't get any attention, or after finishing his food, he immediately wants to go out and get himself dirty. If I allow him to enter the house without supervision by leaving the doors open, he will poop inside and then go back outside to harass people, hunt animals, and lie in dirt. He will also steal items from inside the house - plastic bottles, my shirts, etc - & carry them outside to destroy them.

I want to train him to live indoors. This of course includes not pooping inside when I'm not watching him, but I also want him to be more well-behaved indoors generally. I need him to quietly lie down and not bother me when he's inside, regardless of what I'm doing. It won't be easy.
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by tolutweety(m): 10:26am On Sep 15, 2014
Oook.. i'm here to learn.

continue boss ....
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 10:33am On Oct 16, 2014
House-training my dog has been rewarding. It gave me an opportunity to strengthen his recall because I had to call him inside against his will many times. He's learned not to poo/weewee in my office after 1 "accident", but he hasn't learned that deserted areas of the house are off-limits too. I've been unable to catch him in the act of pooping in those areas in order to correct him. He prefers to go out to poo/weewee but if he can't go out immediately, he will poo/weewee in a deserted area of the house instead of holding it. I may need to create artificial training opportunities by forcing him to stay inside when I know he's going to want to poo so I can correct him when he's about do it in the wrong place.

I swore that I would teach my dog only useful things, so I've taught him:
1) "HEY!" - to stop doing whatever he's doing. I use it to stop him from jumping on me or touching wrong things inside.
2) "Sit" - to sit, obviously. he usually obeys this and expects a pat on the head.
3) "Down" - to lie down. I paired this with pointing at the floor, which I use whenever he's confused.
4) "Come" - to come to me and follow me. If he doesn't obey, I'll start walking towards him and then he'll obey.
5) "Back" - to give me space, usually when I'm about to open a door. If he doesn't obey, I walk into him to force him back.

I think "Drop It" and "Stay" would be really useful too, but due to his resource guarding issues and my busy schedule, I haven't really tried.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by olu77(m): 12:51am On Oct 17, 2014
Seun:

Years from now, you will read the above again and feel ashamed by this manifestation of the overbearing arrogance & ignorance of your youth.

grin
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 7:37pm On Mar 17, 2015
what breed is sloan and how old is he?
any picture?
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Seun(m): 12:40am On Apr 10, 2015
For a while I've been feeding my dog home-cooked noodles mixed with canned sardines because I'm lazy and cheap. Raw food is expensive and time-consuming if you don't have a large deep freezer. Twice a day, I crush two 70g packs of noodles, add a generous amount of water and cook it in a 800W microwave for 10 minutes. Then I add a tin of sardines mash it, and mix it thoroughly with the noodles. Then I wait for it to cool and serve it to the dog. It's a very fast way to feed a dog. Rice is cheaper than Indomie, but I don't use it because cooking it takes longer. Couscous is also good but I can't always get it. Shawa fish is a cheaper and better alternative to canned sardines, but can't be stored as conveniently.

Though the above meal is affordable and cost-effective, I've been thinking about switching my dog to a dry dog food for a while, because it's more nutritionally complete while still being cheap. Previous attempts to switch by dog to dry food didn't work out, so I waited until I could find a premium dog food that lists a protein source rather than cereal as it's primary ingredient. Also, I chose to buy puppy version of that dog food because puppy foods are more appealing to dogs and have more protein and fat, while being only a little bit more expensive. I thought that I might have to starve him for a while to get him interested in the dry food, but it wasn't necessary. He finished his first meal very quickly.

I think he loves this dry food for two reason: it smells better due to its quality ingredients, and its fine texture makes it easy to lap up. New problem: I don't know where to get more of this puppy food, cos it's out of stock where I bought it. We may have to switch again in 20 days. They say feeding an adult dog with puppy food can make the dog overweight, but this sounds strange since I can just feed less & save money.

sledjama:
what breed is sloan and how old is he?
any picture?
He's either 2 years and 10 months old (if what I was told is true) or 3 years and ten months old (if what his card originally said is true).

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Ymodulus: 2:06am On Apr 10, 2015
Seun:
For a while I've been feeding my dog home-cooked noodles mixed with canned sardines because I'm lazy and cheap. Raw food is expensive and time-consuming if you don't have a large deep freezer. Twice a day, I [b]crush two 70g packs of noodles, add a generous amount of water and cook it in a 800W microwave for 10 minutes. Then I add a tin of sardines mash it, and mix it thoroughly with the noodles.

Can I be your dog?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by feedapet: 5:08am On Apr 10, 2015
Hi Seun,

What brand of dog food is out of stock in the store close to you?

Dry food still remains the best for dogs, no need to cook, refrigerate. When you are not around, anyone can measure out and feed your dog. Dry food also help keep their teeth clean and free from tartar.

/feed-a-pet
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Trippledots(m): 5:47am On Apr 10, 2015
Seun:

heheheee....sleek buh wikid mehn. lwfmh
Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Sessyjee(m): 7:27am On Apr 10, 2015
Seun:
For a while I've been feeding my dog home-cooked noodles mixed with canned sardines because I'm lazy and cheap. Raw food is expensive and time-consuming if you don't have a large deep freezer. Twice a day, I crush two 70g packs of noodles, add a generous amount of water and cook it in a 800W microwave for 10 minutes. Then I add a tin of sardines mash it, and mix it thoroughly with the noodles. Then I wait for it to cool and serve it to the dog. It's a very fast way to feed a dog. Rice is cheaper than Indomie, but I don't use it because cooking it takes longer. Couscous is also good but I can't always get it. Shawa fish is a cheaper and better alternative to canned sardines, but can't be stored as conveniently.

Though the above meal is affordable and cost-effective, I've been thinking about switching my dog to a dry dog food for a while, because it's more nutritionally complete while still being cheap. Previous attempts to switch by dog to dry food didn't work out, so I waited until I could find a premium dog food that lists a protein source rather than cereal as it's primary ingredient. Also, I chose to buy puppy version of that dog food because puppy foods are more appealing to dogs and have more protein and fat, while being only a little bit more expensive. I thought that I might have to starve him for a while to get him interested in the dry food, but it wasn't necessary. He finished his first meal very quickly.

I think he loves this dry food for two reason: it smells better due to its quality ingredients, and its fine texture makes it easy to lap up. New problem: I don't know where to get more of this puppy food, cos it's out of stock where I bought it. We may have to switch again in 20 days. They say feeding an adult dog with puppy food can make the dog overweight, but this sounds strange since I can just feed less & save money.

He's either 2 years and 10 months old (if what I was told is true) or 3 years and ten months old (if what his card originally said is true).
Nice Gsd you've got there bawz...
I guess he should be 2 years and 10 months old.. Do you give him supplements, cos he looks so healthy..
I prefer mixing dry food and cooked food tho.. Added with lots of chicken intestines and Fish bones (cooked tho) it gives the dog varieties..

1 Like

Re: Managing Sloan - My Fawn GSD Mix by Nobody: 8:45am On Oct 02, 2015
hi seun, can you share recent pictures of Sloan?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Help Stop Dog Fight / Please Any Agent Around Ibadan or Lagos That Can Help Me Market My Dogs? / Lovely Pets

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.