Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,803 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 PM

My Biology android app is finally out - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / My Biology android app is finally out (1915 Views)

Nigerian Defence Academy 68RC Is Finally Out / Lautech Admission List Is Finally Out On Lautechadmissions.net / Anambra State University Post Ume Is Finally Out (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 9:44pm On Aug 24, 2014
You can download here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toscanyacademy.completebiology&hl=en

I am working on a new android app that will be useful to students planning to sit for WAEC, NECO and JAMB biology exams or people that have interest in biology.

Before I going into the full details I will like to inform you that a similar app I develop for chemistry ranks first with the keyword chemistry in Google play. It has over 70, 000 downloads. The link is here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toscanyacademy.completechemistry

I will need your help, suggestions and contributions (My fellow Nairalanders) to make this biology app very resourceful and educative. This thread will serve as milestone until the app is released.

I will focus on the content the app will serve so if you feel that there is something to add or remove kindly drop it here.
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 9:52pm On Aug 24, 2014
The biology mobile app content is categorized into six groups

1. Biology Tutorials

2 Biology Formula

3. Practical Biology

4. Biology Theory Questions

5. Biology Terms and Dictionary

6. Biology Objective Questions (Quiz)

Please let me know if there is any other category you would like me to add. I will show the scope of each category to make it clear and understandable.
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 10:01pm On Aug 24, 2014
For the Biology Tutorial category, the following topics will be covered in details. Please note that I tried as much as possible to include all biology topics present in the current WAEC and NECO syllabus. If you feel that some topics are missing, kindly let me know.

Biology Tutorial Category

1. Concept of living thing

2.Organization of life

3.Cell and its environment

4.Cell Structure

5. Cell as a living form

6. Cell Properties

7. Tissue System

8. Excretory System

9. Homeostasis

10. Respiratory System

11. Hormonal Coordination

12. Central Nervous System

13. Human Sense Organ

14. Animal Nutrition

15. Reproductive System

16. Transport System

17. Plant Nutrition

18. Micro-organism and Man

19. Biology of Heredity

20. Basis of Heredity

21. Probability in Genetics

22. Genetics in Medicine

23. Physiological Variations

24. Morphological Variations

25. Evolution and Adaptation

26. Theory of Evolution

27. Component of Ecosystem

28. Biology of Ecosystem

29. Ecological Management

30. Ecology of Population

31. Ecological Factors

32. Food Webs and Trophic Levels

33. Energy Transformation

34. Natural Resource

35. Conservation of Resources

Right now I have 35 topics that cover almost everything you need to know about in biology. It is concise and easy to follow.

Let me know what you think.....
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 1:46am On Aug 27, 2014
This is a sample of one of the biology tutorial content below

Biology Of Heredity

Biology Of Heredity (Genetics)-Transmission And Expression Of Characteristics In Organisms

Hereditary Variations: Characters that can be transferred from parents to offsprings-from generation to generation like skin colour, eye and hair, blood group, sickle cell, shape of face and nose

Genetics is the branch of biology that deals with the science of heredity. Heredity is the transfer of characteristics from one generation to the next. It is the reason why offspring resemble their parents. For instance, we know that a tall mother and a tall father are liable to have children that are tall.

It as well explains why cats constantly give birth to kittens and never puppies. Geneticists (scientists who study genetics) are interested in finding out two things regarding this observation.

First, what is there in the cells of a person's body that signals the body to become tall instead of short? Second, how are the signals for "tallness" transferred from parent to offspring, from one generation to the next?

The process of heredity takes place in the midst of every living thing including animals, plants, bacteria, protists and fungi. The study of heredity is known as genetics and scientists that learn heredity are called geneticists.

Through heredity, living things take over traits from their parents. Traits are physical characteristics. You bear a resemblance to your parents due to the fact that you inherited your hair and skin color, nose shape, height, and other traits from them.

Cells are the fundamental unit of structure and function of every living thing. Small biochemical structures inside every cell known as genes transmit traits from one generation to the other.

Genes are made of a chemical known as DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid). Genes are strung jointly to structure long chains of DNA in structures referred to as chromosomes.

Genes are similar to blueprints for building a house, apart from the fact that they bear the plans for building cells, tissues, organs, and bodies. They have the instructions for manufacturing the thousands of chemical building blocks in the body.

These building blocks are known as proteins. Proteins are made of smaller units known as amino acids. Differences in genes give rise to the building of diverse amino acids and proteins.

These differences give rise to individuals that possess various traits like hair color or blood types.

A gene offers only the prospective for the development of a trait. The way this potential is achieved depends partially on the interaction of the gene with other genes. But it as well depends partly on the environment.

For instance, a person may have a genetic tendency toward being overweight. But the person's real weight will depend on such environmental factors like the kinds of food the person eats and the amount of exercise that person does.

The history of Genetics

Humans have known about hereditary characteristics for thousands of years. That knowledge has been used for the improvement of domestic plants and animals. Until the late nineteenth century, however, that knowledge had been obtained through trial-and-error experiments.

The contemporary science of genetics started with the pioneering work of the Austrian monk and botanist Gregor Mendel (1822–1884).

Words you may come across and their meaning[i][/i]

DNA (deoxyribonucleic acid): Molecules that make up chromosomes and on which genes are situated.

Dominant gene: The state or genetic trait that will constantly convey itself when present as part of a pair of genes in a chromosome.

Gene: A section of a DNA molecule that carries instructions for the formation, functioning, and transmission of specific traits from one generation to another.

Heredity: The transfer of characteristics from parents to offspring.

Nucleotide: A group of atoms that exists in a DNA molecule.

Proteins: Large molecules that is crucial to the structure and functioning of all living cells.

Recessive gene: The state or genetic trait that can put across itself only when two genes, one from both parents, are available and act as a kind of code for creating the trait, but will not articulate itself when paired with a dominant gene.

Triad: This is as well referred to as codon; group of three nucleotides that carry a particular message for a cell.

Through heredity, variations demonstrated by individuals can build up and cause a number of species to evolve. The study of heredity in biology is known as genetics, which includes the field of epigenetic.

In humans, eye color is an example of an inherited characteristic: characteristics transferred from parents to offspring. An individual might inherit the "brown-eye trait" from one of the parents. Inherited traits are restricted by genes and the complete set of genes within an organism's genome is known as its genotype.

If you want to read the full tutorial on this topic follow it here http://toscanyacademy.com/blog/nigeria-education/jamb-biology-24-biology-heredity
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 1:57am On Aug 27, 2014
Each tutorial is accompanied by diagrams that will help you understand the topic you are reading and practical aspect of it. Below is an extract from a tutorial page.

Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 2:00am On Aug 27, 2014
Please drop your email here if you will like me to notify you when the biology app is released. If you want to be among the first people that will download and test the app also drop your email here.

You can also send me an email at tosca207[at]gmail.com with subject: Biology app.
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 2:08am On Aug 27, 2014
In the Theory questions and Solution:- It is focused with solving most of the likely questions that you will see in the exam hall and previous past questions from WAEC and NECO exams.

You can see some samples of the questions below.

Question

(a) State four modes of nutrition in plants.

(b) Outline the process involved in the light and dark reactions of photosynthesis. (c) Describe briefly the modifications and the mechanisms associated with the following habits:

(I) filter feeding in mosquito larva;

(ii) parasitic feeding in tapeworm.

Question extracted from June 1988 SSCE Biology 2 Section B Essay Question number 2

Solution to the question

(a) Four modes of nutrition in plants are:

i) Autotrophic or holophytic nutrition is a mode of nutrition by which green leaves or plants manufacture their food using atmospheric carbon dioxide and soil water as raw materials with sunlight as the source of energy.

This type of autotrophic nutrition is the photosynthetic autotrophic nutrition. Autotrophs are organisms that can manufacture their own food from the substances present in their surroundings with the help of light (photosynthesis) or chemical energy (chemosynthesis). Producers are green plants that make use of sunlight to manufacture food from nutrients obtained from the soil.

Strictly, the definition implies that autotrophs acquire carbon from inorganic sources such as carbon dioxide (CO2. Autotrophs are normally plants; they are as well known as "self feeders" or "primary producers".

The second type of autotrophic nutrition in plant is chemosynthetic nutrition or chemosynthesis: This is type of autotrophic nutrition where the energy required for the synthesis of food is derived from chemicals or inorganic compound instead of from light energy from the sun.

(ii) Parasitic nutrition: This is the type of plant nutrition by which a few plants derive their organic substance from other plants. Such plants are referred to as parasite while the plants from which they derive their nourishment and protection is referred to as host.

Parasites causes harm to their host and can sometimes leads to the death of the host. This is type of relationship in which the parasite gains while its host is at loss.

iv) Mutualism (symbiosis) — This is a mode of feeding relationship whereby two organisms are living together for the common benefit of each other. The relationship may be between organisms that belong to the same group or different groups. Example is seen in the relationship between nitrogen fixing bacteria, rhizobium and root noodles of leguminous plants as well as fungi and algae in lichens.

(iv) Epiphytic nutrition — This is the mode of plant of nutrition that occurs when plants attach themselves to other plants for support. They acquire minerals and water from the position of attachment to the host plants but produce their own food through photosynthesis because they have green leaves and chlorophyll.

(b) (I) Light reaction takes place in the grana of the chloroplast which contains chlorophyll, a pigment that traps light energy during the process of photosynthesis. The absorption of light energy by chlorophyll assists in the splitting of water molecule into hydrogen and hydroxyl ions as shown in the equation below:

4H20 —> Light energy —> 4H+ —> OH—40H .

The hydroxyl components obtained again react with each other to give rise to water and oxygen as shown in the equation below:

20H + 20H - -> 2H20 + O2 . The overall reactions = 4H20 radiant energy 4H+ + 2H20 + O2 + 4e.

In the process of light reaction, electrons are transferred to photosystem I, two molecules of ATP are produced from ADP and inorganic phosphate.

ADP + P1 —> ATP (photophosphory — lotion) electrons move further to another photosystem

1. NADP is reduced to NADPH and two molecules of NADPH are synthesized.

(ii) Dark reaction takes place in the stoma of the chloroplast in the presence of NADPH and ATP. The Hydrogen (H) produced in the light reaction passes through series of reactions in which they reduce carbon dioxide to form sugar(glucose) as represented in the following equation: CO2 + 4H —> CH2O + H20. The reactions are catalysed by enzymes.

(c) (i) Explanation of filter feeding in mosquito: The head of a mosquito has brushes, mandible and maxillae. Ventral surface of the head is upward and this allows the pair of brushes at the sides of the Mouth to sweep through water and enmesh small food particles which are combed into the mouth by the maxilla and mandibles.

(ii) Explanation of parasitic feeding in tape worm: The head or (scolex) of a tape worm has hooks, rostellum and suckers. The hooks and the suckers allow them to attach themselves to the walls of the intestine of its host. The whole body surface is adapted for absorption of digested food from its host.

check out the next question below
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by bhaliz44(m): 6:59am On Aug 27, 2014
release the app bro.. its interesting.. i love the chemistry nd physics app they're awesome. cool
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by taiocol: 7:04am On Aug 27, 2014
am having problem downloading the physics app. it's showing insufficient space when I have upto one gb
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 9:53am On Aug 27, 2014
taiocol: am having problem downloading the physics app. it's showing insufficient space when I have upto one gb

I don't know why you are problem with it because the physics android app is around 3M. What you can do is to uninstall any app that you are not using and try to install the physics app again. I hope it will work for you
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 9:57am On Aug 27, 2014
bhaliz44: release the app bro.. its interesting.. i love the chemistry nd physics app they're awesome. cool

Thank you for your kind words. I think this biology app will even be much better than the previous apps
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 9:59am On Aug 27, 2014
Thanks for those that have send an email to me. You will definitely get the app once it is release. If you are interested to be among the first people to use it you can drop your email here or send me a message at tosca207[at]gmail.com.
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by Nobody: 12:44am On Aug 28, 2014
do you have a math app?
How easy to understand is your physics app?
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 1:18am On Aug 28, 2014
Xsolutions: do you have a math app?
How easy to understand is your physics app?

Yes I have a maths app with almost 50 000 downloads in Google Play. This is the link https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.chidi.elearning

You can also download my physics app here. It is concise and simple but covers necessary topics in physics https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toscanytech.physicspractical

Let me know if you have any problem downloading it
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 12:36am On Sep 01, 2014
This mobile app will be released this coming week. I will inform you guys when it is ready for download
Re: My Biology android app is finally out by nollyj: 3:01pm On Nov 18, 2014
The complete biology app is finally out. You can get it from here https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.toscanyacademy.completebiology&hl=en

(1) (Reply)

Crises At Kings College Lagos / Michael Okpara University Of Agriculture Umudike, 2015 Post-utme Details. / University Of Lagos (UNILAG) PRE-DEGREE Form 2015/16 Is Still On. (080 61335186)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.