Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,318 members, 7,808,071 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:40 AM

480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon (55388 Views)

Top ISIS Member Arrested While Attempting To Flee To Nigeria / Massive Tension In Mubi: Soldiers Flee As Boko Haram Invades / Gwoza Town Fall To Boko Haram As Soldiers Flee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by PointB: 2:47pm On Aug 25, 2014
Nigerian soldiers defect? Arrant nonsense!!

It's not even on BBC website, the so called source! I am sure this is another of Shekau propaganda, given life by the anti-GEJ goons!

3 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 2:48pm On Aug 25, 2014
cowards! How many American soldiers defected to Mexico when they were sent to fight Al-qaeda in Afghanistan?? Bunch of lazy, useless cowards. They are only good at harassing innocent civilians undecided

5 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 2:49pm On Aug 25, 2014
Gbawe:

You can say that again. All the major problems of Nigeria have worsened under GEJ.
THE MOST ANNOYING THING IS THAT SEVERAL PEOPLE STILL SUPPORT HIM.
U SEE THE STUUPID *GEJITES* RANTING ALL OVER NL IN SUPPORT OF GEJ.SOMETIMES I JUST FEEL LIKE TAKING A CEMENT BLOCK AND HITTING THEM ON THE HEAD WITHangry

HOW CAN HUMAN BEINGS BE SO STUPIIDangry

16 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 2:53pm On Aug 25, 2014
sad
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 2:55pm On Aug 25, 2014
himkers: cowards! How many American soldiers defected to Mexico when they were sent to fight Al-qaeda in Afghanistan?? Bunch of lazy, useless cowards. They are only good at harassing innocent civilians undecided
THESE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COWARDICE.THE SOLDIERS ARE POORLY EQUIPPED AND POORLY FUNDED.THE NIGERIAN ARMY HAS BEEN ERODED BY CORRUPTION.IF THE SOLDIERS DIE THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE THE FAMILY THEY LEAVE BEHIND WILL NOT BE TAKEN CARE OF!!!!

NOBODY WANTS TO DIE IN VAIN!!!!!!ND DYING 4 NIGERIA EQUATES TO DYING IN VAIN!!!!!!!angry

23 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by PointB: 2:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
In any case when soldiers defect, they move from one opposing army to the other. In other words, Nigeria is at war with Boko Haram not Cameroon, hence our soldiers can only defect from Nigeria Army to Boko Haram terrorists, not join Cameroon's Army.

That's why this topic is arrant nonsense!

1 Like

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by oloyeolaglory: 3:00pm On Aug 25, 2014
Na lier is not possible. I beg find another thing to say. It is only civilian that can believe you
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by 4Play(m): 3:06pm On Aug 25, 2014
PointB: Nigerian soldiers defect? Arrant nonsense!!

It's not even on BBC website, the so called source! I am sure this is another of Shekau propaganda, given life by the anti-GEJ goons!

You faux patriots are the worst traitors of all because by denying the extent of this Boko Haram menace, you help to perpetuate it. If you were serious about finding the source, you will find it. See here:

Some 480 Nigerian soldiers have fled into Cameroon following fierce fighting with Boko Haram militants, Cameroon's army has said.

Army spokesman Lt Col Didier Badjek said the soldiers had been disarmed and were now being accommodated in schools.

Clashes are said to be continuing in the border town of Gamboru Ngala.

Boko Haram on Sunday released a video in which it said it had established an Islamic state in the towns and villages it controls in north-eastern Nigeria.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-28927898

16 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by naptu2: 3:07pm On Aug 25, 2014
@BBCAfrica

Correction - 480 #Nigerian soldiers have deserted to #Cameroon . They are being taken to the northern city of Maroua.

https://mobile.twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/503901813704499200

2 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Gbawe: 3:08pm On Aug 25, 2014
dhammyg:
THESE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH COWARDICE.THE SOLDIERS ARE POORLY EQUIPPED AND POORLY FUNDED.THE NIGERIAN ARMY HAS BEEM ERODED BY CORRUPTION.IF THE SOLDIERS DIE THERE IS A HIGH CHANCE THE FAMILY THEY LEAVE BEHIND WILL NOT BE TAKEN CARE OF!!!!

NOBODY WANTS TO DIE IN VAIN!!!!!!ND DYING 4 NIGERIA EQUATES TO DYING IN VAIN!!!!!!!angry

Indeed. Whether this claim is true or otherwise is not important. What is inevitable, unless something drastic happens, is that our Army will continue to see many members deserting and going AWOL because of low morale and total disillusionment with their own Army leaders and the politicians above them.

People forget we live in an information age where even the most basic android phone these days places a lot of information in the hands of those willing to learn and gain knowledge. Which Army officer, after gaining requisite knowledge of the treasonous corruption leaving them exposed and under-equipped, will be happy to go and die for what appears a lost cause our leaders do not seem to believe in with how they choose to loot the funds meant to strengthen the capability of our Army to confront and overcome Boko Haram?

It is very easy for any well-read Army officer to conclude that politicians don't care a jot about their welfare and are only interested in their own self-aggrandizement and continued stay in political office. If you were in the Army, will you choose to continue to be the sacrificial Goat for such wicked and heartless bosses?

14 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by onyenro(m): 3:09pm On Aug 25, 2014
lagdmark:
op,Jingoistic master where is the pic. and source of your story
http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28927898?ocid=socialflow_twitter#

2 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by comos: 3:14pm On Aug 25, 2014
Gbawe:
This is what has gained GEJ uniform condemnation from virtually all his peers worldwide while his brainwashed fans talk and attack everyone, including a mere journalist like Isha Sesay, as if the world is deliberately against their oga. Even as this allegation is not verified, I would not be surprised if this turns out to be true because many unprecedented and terrible developments, such as that claimed here, are the outcome of the kind of callous self-servitude and corruption GEJ is working with even the worst despot like Abacha did not display.
GEJ is literally destroying every Nigerian institution with his myopic greed and lust for power at all cost. He has virtually bankrupted Nigeria buying support he assumes will help him remain in power. He has, to the detriment of Nigeria, been capitulating to political blackmailers and extortionists from day one and since he was sworn in as acting President !!! Why will we not witness the destruction and dismantling of the Nigerian Army when $18 billion disbursed to strengthen our Army's capability against Boko Haram was embezzled under GEJ? When the money that is to be used to defend the nation is looted (something we did not even see under the worst dictators) then what else do Nigerians need to see to note , as many have stated already, that GEJ is a "very dangerous President"?
Talking is cheap!
if you are so patriotic, why not join the army. they are still recruiting at the moment

13 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Arosa(m): 3:15pm On Aug 25, 2014
480 Nigerian soldiers fled to Cameroon during battle with bokoharam, do not mean that they are defecting to Cameroon. undecided

1 Like

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by PointB: 3:16pm On Aug 25, 2014
4Play:

You faux patriots are the worst traitors of all because by denying the extent of this Boko Haram menace, you help to perpetuate it. If you were serious about finding the source, you will find it. See here:

Thanks for the link.

But if you had compared the topic of this thread with the BBC Breaking News, you would have understood where I was coming from. Fleeing to and defecting to Cameroon are two different thing entirely. When soldiers defect, they swear allegiance to opposing army! But I guess the Op changed the subject matter from 'fleeing' to 'defect' either due to ignorance or to create mischief. Either way, Op is wrong!

The operation area is very close to the border with Cameroon. Soldiers can 'flee' (even though the correct word should be retreat) when under immense attack, rather than stay and be annihilated.

14 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by deeobserver209(m): 3:19pm On Aug 25, 2014
jmaine: The content of the thread is very laughable.
Too hilarious.

1 Like

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by naptu2: 3:20pm On Aug 25, 2014
The BBC originally used the word "defection" on their twitter feed. They later changed it to "desertion". That's why you see "correction" at the top of the twitter status.

5 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by naptu2: 3:21pm On Aug 25, 2014
PointB:

Thanks for the link.

But if you had compared the topic of this thread with the BBC Breaking News, you would have understood where I was coming from. Fleeing to and defecting to Cameroon are two different thing entirely. When soldiers defect, they swear allegiance to opposing army! But I guess the Op changed the subject matter from 'fleeing' to 'defect' either due to ignorance or to create mischief. Either way, Op is wrong!

The operation area is very close to the border with Cameroon. Soldiers can 'flee' (even though the correct word should be retreat) when under immense attack, rather than stay and be annihilated.

The BBC originally used the word "defection" on their twitter feed. They later changed it to "desertion". That's why you see "correction" at the top of the twitter status.

5 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by naptu2: 3:26pm On Aug 25, 2014
From the BBC's twitter feed.

Kwara whistleblower
@ kwhistleblower
8m

@BBCAfrica thank God for this use of 'desertion' instead of 'defection'. I was
going to ask BBC if Nigeria I now fighting
Cameroon!!!

2 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by PointB: 3:27pm On Aug 25, 2014
naptu2:

I see. Apologies to the Op then.

But it is pedestrian for BBC to have used such critical term - 'defect' to describe a basic army maneuver such as 'retreat'. Sometimes we give these folks (western media) more respect than they deserve. How can an internationally acclaim world media outfit make such kindergarten mistake? Who knows how many more mistakes they make daily?

14 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 3:30pm On Aug 25, 2014
[s]
PointB: Nigerian soldiers defect? Arrant nonsense!!

[/s] http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28927898

3 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by EasternLeopard: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
Ibnsultan01: BreakinNews. Insurgents sack Army barracks in Ngala. As the proceed and capture Gamboru close to cameroon. Alpha jets drop few Bombs before retreating allowing BH to hold claim over the area. Pls what's Happening. Mr president Mr president pls do something

Just Ngala alone

Their advance is slow

Nigeria is dying

Let's get a casket for her
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by PointB: 3:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
madridfc: [s] http://m.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28927898
[/s]
Already trashed. Later comer!

2 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by fajani(m): 3:35pm On Aug 25, 2014
Ibnsultan01: "@BBCAfrica: 480 #Nigerian soldiers have defected to #Cameroon. They are being taken to the northern city of Maroua."

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-28927898
I sorry for Nigeria....
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Gbawe: 3:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
comos:
Talking is cheap!
if you are so patriotic, why not join the army. they are still recruiting at the moment

Did you read and understand anything I wrote? Why will I join an Army of deception where my life and welfare means nothing to those who send me out to face the ultimate sacrifice on behalf of my nation? Which intelligent man, even if the most brave to live, will choose to die for nothing? Many Nigerians who join the Army have no choice. I do. How many well-educated and gainfully employed Nigerians , even if patriotic and willing to make a difference, do you think will readily join the Nigerian Army as currently constituted? Patriotism should not be another word for foolishness my friend.

As a start, I won't be joining the army of a Nation where the politicians do not have the balls to go after the sponsors of terror they claim to know yet leave free to sponsor, arm and support the terrorists who will overcome my "patriotism" with their superior weapons and intel. We should all be speaking in one voice in support of sanctioning the corruption, duplicity and lack of political will killing our Army and turning it into an unattractive destination for many of the youths of Nigeria. Read the story yourself and stop mouthing off at your fellow Nigerians. Face the corrupt leaders you voted for indicted in the report below and making the Nigerian army a destination for unemployed and probably unemployable desperados alone. Are you not ashamed and livid that terrorists are better equipped than men of the Nigerian Army and that corruption has caused this?

Boko Haram crisis: Nigerian troops 'flee into Cameroon'
Breaking news
Some 480 Nigerian soldiers have fled into Cameroon following fierce fighting with Boko Haram militants, Cameroon's army has said.

Army spokesman Lt Col Didier Badjek said the soldiers had been disarmed and were now being accommodated in schools.

Clashes are said to be continuing in the border town of Gamboru Ngala.

Boko Haram on Sunday released a video in which it said it had established an Islamic state in the towns and villages it controls in north-eastern Nigeria.

The group's five-year insurgency has intensified in recent months despite the deployment of thousands of extra troops to the worst-affected areas.

[size=14pt]Last week, a group of soldiers refused to follow orders to go and fight Boko Haram, saying the militants were better equipped.[/size]

Insurgents also seized one of Nigeria's two main police training academies, which is near the town of Gwoza, captured earlier this month.

18 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Yungmilio2(m): 3:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
olapluto: 480!!! WOW!
Well, when they wont get salary on time, have to beg for bullets, and not assured of their family welfare in case they die in action, I dont blame them.
But 480 is an alarmingly high number. The president is not even bothered. He is setting a very very very disturbing precedence here in Nigeria. Never have we had so many deserters.
It is a shame that in a time of war, our leaders are weakening our army.
You right
The President is not bothered at all
I don't mind if he steals our Money but He should work
GEJ Dundee United
Wrecking Nigerians since becoming a President

5 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Demdem(m): 3:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
This is unheard off.
Jonathan remains a curse to the Nigerian Nation.

13 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by sharonirabor: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
KnowAll: I thought d border with cameroon is closed.

I'm confused as well. Thought the borders were really closed.
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by segradino(m): 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
Big fat lie..a

Good news for smart phone users, u can get d best data plan(MTN and Etisalat) for ur internet enabled devices why waste more when u can pay less for as low as N400 for 250mb...check dis out on this thread. www.nairaland.com/1852534/mtn-data-cheapest-rate#25391662
Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by Nobody: 3:42pm On Aug 25, 2014
lagdmark:
op,Jingoistic master where is the pic. and source of your story
you blind? Abi catarh cover ya eyes?

3 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by namelesss: 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2014
On a more serious note!!!
[size=30pt]I dont believe this.[/size]

2 Likes

Re: 480 Nigerian Soldiers Flee To Cameroon by millionboi(m): 3:47pm On Aug 25, 2014
Dnt trust BBC.... hates

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Panic As Police, LASTMA Abandon Lagos Roads / Has Anyone Seen The Silly Advert On The Front Page Of Today's Punch By Fayose? / After Meeting With Tinubu, Senators-elect Queue Behind Yari

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.