Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,154 members, 7,807,517 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:34 PM

Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! (1407 Views)

Web Of Trust (WOT) Firefox Addon Rating For Nairaland / Pls Wot Is Nigeria Zip Code? / My Laptop Speakers Are Not Working Anymore, Wat Should I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 9:54pm On Jul 24, 2006
Is it possible for a 60GB Hard drive to be full within 3wks? I'm suprised to hear my pc tell me i got barely 400MB of space left on my c:\ disk. Any1 there to giv me answer? I'm so,so upset,
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by diddy4(m): 12:06am On Jul 25, 2006
first, it depends on the kindda files and programs u got on it. if u have files like movie files and stuff, it sure will take up memory space. secondly, are u sure it is 60gigs or u were told 60 gigs. u should check to see if it is actually 60 gigs. if it is, check the kindda files u got on it and delete unnecessary files. clean your temp folder and defragment your disk.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 12:31am On Jul 25, 2006
@diddy4 :actually its a 80GB Drive about 13GB is for sum recovery stuff that i cant tamper wit,i think 7GB is for the installed memory, And the remainig 60GB is for my use;I only hav music files-2GB(all in mp3 format) about 25musical videos no movies of any sort! etc thats all i've got.What do u say
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 12:34am On Jul 25, 2006
@diddy4 : or do u know of a way i can check for the actuall size of the disk myself ? Let me know
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by diddy4(m): 12:35am On Jul 25, 2006
my man, recheck dat computer again cuzz if what u said above is right, i really dont think u have 400mb left. check it again. do some checks. go to ma computer and click properties, check the memory stuff and do disk defragmenting. go to start-all programs--accessories--system tools--disk defragemter and run it. it should tell u how much memory u got left.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by wormedup(m): 10:06am On Jul 26, 2006
open "My Computer", right-click on the hard drive and select properties.
it'll show the size being used and the free space left.

there's the probability that the motherboard BIOS settings for the hard drive is not reporting the actual disk size.
u might need to check that too.

cheers.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by Christino(m): 1:42pm On Jul 26, 2006
Kindly let me know if you are using a PC or a MAC, then i'll know where to start from. Cos if 7GB is for memory and 13GB is for recovery, i wonder how much space your OS and programs will consume.

I'll recommend that you unhide all files on your hard disk. Click on Tools, folder options, click on view, click on show hidden files and folders and also uncheck hide protected operating system files.

Download and install this software, Tree size professional, it will reveal how much space EACH folder on your hard drive is using, then you'll see who the culprit really is. I've been using it since 99 and it sure works well.

the link is http://www.download.com/TreeSize-Professional/3000-2248_4-10545909.html

I suspect you probably have an offline downloaders. Infact if you have teleport or http weazel, these guys can download an average of 2GB to 10GB daily depending on the speed of your link.

Let's know how you went about it. Hope this helps.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 2:55pm On Jul 26, 2006
@wormd up :I av done dat several times and it keeps givin me d same figure and how do i get to the motherboard BIO settings u mentiond,

@Christino I'm usin a Windows PC not MAC,I av unhidden all folders and files on my pc,where do i go frm there? What r these offline downloaders, ?
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by New(m): 3:34pm On Jul 26, 2006
To get into your BIOS, During bootup, press F8, F12 or F10 as your PC dictates(this depends on your configuration).

Before you do that I suggest you go to properties for C:, click on 'tools', go to error checking, click 'check now' and select the check disk options.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 11:13pm On Jul 26, 2006
What really do i wanna do in my BIOS setting I know nothin about dis thing and i dont want to mess up my system, I just want u guys to take me thru step by step.
U get me?
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by wormedup(m): 8:58am On Jul 27, 2006
what figures do u get ?
if it's reproting approxmately 80GB then there's no need for u to go to BIOS.
that'd mean something's playin pranks with ur windows.
what's ur BIOS version ? u can get that from system information.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 12:59pm On Jul 27, 2006
@wormedup: It gave me the actual 80GB figure. I did unhid my files and folders as u @Christino said and i think i found sme things "out of order" i was get back to u guys as soon as i come up wit the list.ok? undecided
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by Christino(m): 2:13pm On Jul 27, 2006
Hi Prof,
If your PC is as densely populated as mine (with folders) then you'll be writing ICAN trying to find out which folder has issues. Try to download the software i told you about. (tree size pro)

http://www.download.com/TreeSize-Professional/3000-2248_4-10545909.html

install it and run it, it will list your folders and their sizes. You can see how much each folder consumes at a glance (windows only does that for files and not folders)

From here you can see which folder is storing those criminals. If the folder shows you "chinese codes" then you may need to back up important documents on another disk and format your HDD.

In the interim, you can do a disk clean up and defragmentation.

Click on start > Accessories > system tools > disk cleanup

for defragmenting,

Click on start> Accessories >system tools > Disk Defragmenter.

go back to check your free space and revert to us.
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by hayprof(m): 2:47pm On Jul 27, 2006
smiley Am back,@christino i think i must do away wit anymore download for now because aiint got any space for dat. wink
So,i said earlier i discover a folder named "Temp" culd u believe it contains a 27.1GB rubbish angry ,i dont know wot dis folder is for?
I discovered this folder under Documents and settings/Local Settings, can some one tell me what dis is about. I'm Angry angry angry angry
Re: Wot! Wat! Whot! Impossible! by wormedup(m): 3:13pm On Jul 27, 2006
delete everything u can from the folder.
it contains temporary files ranging from installed programs to unzipped/unpacked intallation files. word, excel, powerpoint and all. some windowsreplaced files too.

the only files u can't delete from the temp folder are being used, so just skip over the files and delete the rest.
they are all temp files generated during boot up, installation or working in windows so they are junks !

nice find bro, u should try keeping the folder as empty as possible.

don't forget to check ur recycle bin after deleting.

cheers

(1) (Reply)

I Need To Bypass A Firewall: Lan Experts Needed Here Urgently! / HELP!!! My Hp Deskjet F380 Won't Print / Microsoft Unveils Windows 10, Says Upgrade Is Free

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.