Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,474 members, 7,808,705 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:43 PM

Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? (22252 Views)

Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / How Many Ladies Can Act Like This Lady If They Catch Their Husbands Cheating? / Rude Awakening: I Am Not My Husband's Next Of Kin And Beneficiary!! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by LaRoyalHighness(f): 5:27pm On Aug 25, 2014
Welcome to the odd world..
simplyOJ: There are also numerous cases of men using their Fathers and brothers. There was a similar case of such that happened at my wife's place of work last year 2013. After the man passed, making his father the first option and brother the 2nd, the wife and kids where practically left in the cold. The office had to own their own frantically enter into some form of agreement between the father and brother for his wife and kids to be able to collect some stipend..

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by bukatyne(f): 5:28pm On Aug 25, 2014
egopersonified: Sometimes, it boils down to the uncertainty of who dies first. What if the wife is next of kin and she dies before the husband or they die together? This is assuming the kids would have a longer life span than the parents. Where a child is made next of kin instead of his mother, at the man's death, the child would make sure he takes care of his mum and in a situation where the woman remarries, he is assured that his 'sweat' is not enjoyed or transferred to another man.

I thought the marriage vow was till death do us part?

Or does marriage continue in death?

Did the woman not work together with the man while he was alive?

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Tallesty1(m): 5:31pm On Aug 25, 2014
iwakolewa:

why do you say by law? Is it compulsory to make your spouse next of kin
Well, if you cleave to your partner according to the bible then s/he becomes the closest person to you. I think that automaticaly makes him/her the right person to contact when need arises.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by egopersonified(f): 5:36pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blockus:

[b]LAWYERS in the house please correct me...

Last time I checked:: If your your child is under the age of 18, they cant inherit a single thing and in the absence of a Guardian, your estate MAY be taken over by the Government.

Now if the Mother is still alive, your estate wold be handed over to the Mother who is the legal guardian of the Minor to hold in trust for the child pending when they reach the legal age of 18.. grin (so last last, the woman still controls your property)..

If the Child is 18+ (meaning youhave been married to the same woman for 18 plus years) and you die and leave her with nothing to live out the rest of her life, rather subjecting a Mother to depending on stipends from her child to survive, then that Man is cursed even beyond the grave..

And what makes you think that the Woman would not marry someone wealthier than the man?!

I still maintain that if a Man does not pass on his estate to his wife or leave his wife a sizable portion of his estate for her to live off of, then that marriage should end whilst everyone is still alive so the woman can put her effort into a marriage where she counts.

The above suggestion makes the womans contributions in the marriage look trivial..

NOW!! What if the Woman has all the Money and properties, is it okay for her to leave them to her Kids and have her husband live off of the handouts from her kids?![/b]

My comment is my opinion, it doesnt have to go down well with everyone. And your statement about the kids handing their mother stipends? Hey, thought the trend now is everyone advocating for wives to ensure they work in case of eventualities. What if a man's wealth is handed over to his brothers and his wife and kids get nothing, guy, shit happens. Or havent you read threads on nl about a mother's hatred for her own kids? So she also can leave the kids behind and leave with their father's properties, life isnt as we used to know it. All I believe is that in the case of death of any or both of the parents, taking care of the kids till they can take care of themselves should be top priority.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Amhappy(f): 5:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
The Spouse by default is supposed to be the next of kin. But when there is no trust people use their kids,although this is irrational if the children are still very young. Using your father or siblings as next of kin is kind of silly and your family will suffer for it.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Aug 25, 2014
Tallesty1: Well, if you cleave to your partner according to the bible then s/he becomes the closest person to you. I think that automaticaly makes him/her the right person to contact when need arises.

I gerrit smiley
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by egopersonified(f): 5:45pm On Aug 25, 2014
soulglo:

Have a trust set up. Someone else besides the husband or wife could be trustee.

Getting someone reliable is very difficult these days. You find someone whose late parents left millions in accounts and assets but before he gets ordinary 200k for sch fees from the said trustee, it is a tug of war. While the trustee is using the said properties to send his kids to schs everyone knows he cant afford with his income.

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Aug 25, 2014
Please i have a question to ask those of saying that it's silly to make one's sibling or parent next of kin. My question is: is it also silly for me to be 'wasting' my hard earned money in paying my late uncle's son's school fees and meeting his other needs and even those of his mum atimes since his dad died leaving nothing to inherit? Please answer me so that i can stop spending my money on the lad and channel all the money in building my own family. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 7:11pm On Aug 25, 2014
egopersonified:

My comment is my opinion, it doesnt have to go down well with everyone. And your statement about the kids handing their mother stipends? Hey, thought the trend now is everyone advocating for wives to ensure they work in case of eventualities. What if a man's wealth is handed over to his brothers and his wife and kids get nothing, guy, shit happens. Or havent you read threads on nl about a mother's hatred for her own kids? So she also can leave the kids behind and leave with their father's properties, life isnt as we used to know it. All I believe is that in the case of death of any or both of the parents, taking care of the kids till they can take care of themselves should be top priority.

[b]Without a doubt, your comments are indeed not just your opinion but you intellectual property.. And you my darling are well entitled to them. I was in no way trying to suggest otherwise, just trading ideas as should be on a forum..

I want to come from an equal rights perspective.. Saying a Man should will his estate to his kids in the event of his passing without regard for his wife who may have survived him makes whatever efforts his wife put into assisting him acquire his estate virtually insignificant. It's sort of how men buy properties in their names instead of 'Mr. And Mrs.' Therefore giving the woman no claims whatsoever to said property/ies.

Like I pointed out, a man can't will his estate to children under the age of 18 as they would require an adult to hold the estate in trust pending when the kids reach adulthood.. In this case, the mother automatically gets hold of said estate for a given period of time and seeing how this can make the Woman feel vulnerable allows for her to exploit said estate and deplete it for selfish interests.

I also asked if it would be okay for a Woman to will over all her possessions to her children and subject her husband to collecting stipends/upkeep from his kids in the event of her passing? Or is this a Mans world type situation?[/b]

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 7:12pm On Aug 25, 2014
donpeey22: Please i have a question to ask those of saying that it's silly to make one's sibling or parent next of kin. My question is: is it also silly for me to be 'wasting' my hard earned money in paying my late uncle's son's school fees and meeting his other needs and even those of his mum atimes since his dad died leaving nothing to inherit? Please answer me so that i can stop spending my money on the lad and channel all the money in building my own family. Thanks in advance.

Your family should always come first.. Charity begins at home,

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by soulglo: 7:25pm On Aug 25, 2014
egopersonified:

Getting someone reliable is very difficult these days. You find someone whose late parents left millions in accounts and assets but before he gets ordinary 200k for sch fees from the said trustee, it is a tug of war. While the trustee is using the said properties to send his kids to schs everyone knows he cant afford with his income.

A trustee does use the money as he wishes but as the Trust stipulates. It is a court document just like a will. In many cases there's more than one trustee. The trust should be written in a way that the child still has money in there when he is old enough to handle money. Disobeying a court order can mean jail time and a trustee cannot even withdraw school funds from a trust if the trust says to pay the funds directly to the school the child attends. In fact in financial institutions they have departments that can read and interpret Trusts. If the Trustee is taking money he is likely working with someone at the financial institution to defraud the Trust. Even in Nigeria it will not be so easy to do this. Imagine this child turns 25 and gets a copy of his Trust. A well established bank like UBA would pay millions just so it does not get out that their employees are fraudulent. People should simply know their rights. You should not make decisions like this out of fear or ignorance. A Trust is definitely not a blank check for the Trustee

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blockus:

Your family should always come first.. Charity begins at home,
Ok. That means i would have to cut all supports for the boy and his mum and have him withdrawn from school next term so as to focus on my family alone. Thanks for the advice.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by simplyOJ(m): 7:54pm On Aug 25, 2014
donpeey22: Ok. That means i would have to cut all supports for the boy and his mum and have him withdrawn from school next term so as to focus on my family alone. Thanks for the advice.
My brother, you do not need to discontinue what you have started if they are within your means to carry. What you where advised about earlier is that your immediate family is your primary responsibility, and if God has so blessed you, it will not be out of place to extend some assistance to others, in this case, your late uncle's wife and son.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 7:57pm On Aug 25, 2014
donpeey22: Ok. That means i would have to cut all supports for the boy and his mum and have him withdrawn from school next term so as to focus on my family alone. Thanks for the advice.

I simply said 'Family comes first'..

If you cant afford to accommodate your cousin comfortably together with your family then do the best you can for him without making your immediate family suffer.

Thats what I advised.

7 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 7:59pm On Aug 25, 2014
soulglo:

A trustee does use the money as he wishes but as the Trust stipulates. It is a court document just like a will. In many cases there's more than one trustee. The trust should be written in a way that the child still has money in there when he is old enough to handle money. Disobeying a court order can mean jail time and a trustee cannot even withdraw school funds from a trust if the trust says to pay the funds directly to the school the child attends. In fact in financial institutions they have departments that can read and interpret Trusts. If the Trustee is taking money he is likely working with someone at the financial institution to defraud the Trust. Even in Nigeria it will not be so easy to do this. Imagine this child turns 25 and gets a copy of his Trust. A well established bank like UBA would pay millions just so it does not get out that their employees are fraudulent. People should simply know their rights. You should not make decisions like this out of fear or ignorance. A Trust is definitely not a blank check for the Trustee

A trust fund can be mismanaged especially if it isn't fixed.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by bukatyne(f): 8:01pm On Aug 25, 2014
donpeey22: Please i have a question to ask those of saying that it's silly to make one's sibling or parent next of kin. My question is: is it also silly for me to be 'wasting' my hard earned money in paying my late uncle's son's school fees and meeting his other needs and even those of his mum atimes since his dad died leaving nothing to inherit? Please answer me so that i can stop spending my money on the lad and channel all the money in building my own family. Thanks in advance.

Please take care of your uncle's son however put your family first.

God will reward you

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blockus:

I simply said 'Family comes first'..

If you cant afford to accommodate your cousin comfortably together with your family then do the best you can for him without making your immediate family suffer.

Thats what I advised.
Your advice was wrong in the sense that you made it seem as though ALL siblings or relatives will always take all the dead man's wealth and live his family with nothing. You didn't take into cognizance the fact that some siblings/relatives could even take better care of the man's children than the wife as some wives have abandoned their children with her late husband's siblings upon his death and got remarried to other men. I think it would have been better if you had said that the man should entrust his wealth to his most TRUSTED person, be it his wife, friend or sibling, if his children haven't grown to the legal age at the time of his death.You made it look like none of the man's sibling/relative can EVER be trusted to take better care of his children in his absence, while the wife is always trustworthy.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Blockus: 8:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
donpeey22: Your advice was wrong in the sense that you made it seem as though ALL siblings or relatives will always take all the dead man's wealth and live his family with nothing. You didn't take into cognizance the fact that some siblings/relatives could even take better care of the man's children than the wife as some wives have abandoned their children with her late husband's siblings upon his death and got remarried to other men. I think it would have been better if you had said that the man should entrust his wealth to his most TRUSTED person, be it his wife, friend or sibling, if his children haven't grown to the legal age at the time of his death.You made it look like none of the man's sibling/relative can EVER be trusted to take better care of his children in his absence, while the wife is always trustworthy.

We are Humans and more importantly Africans. A mans estate in the hands of his siblings would almost never be used exclusively for his children he left behind.

I can never argue with some of the points you have raised here especially the part about 'MOST TRUSTED' person. However, I always expect that in an ideal marriage, a Man's most trusted person ideally be his wife and vice versa. A marriage where the most trusted person is not the spouse is indeed troubled and isnt an ideal picture.

If the case is such that the wife isnt a trusted partner, than that presents a different situation.

12 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by soulglo: 8:51pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blockus:

A trust fund can be mismanaged especially if it isn't fixed.

That's why you get a good lawyer. Any Trust that gives a Trustee a blank check was not well written. Totally defeats the purpose of a Trust

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 9:23pm On Aug 25, 2014
Blockus:

We are Humans and more importantly Africans. A mans estate in the hands of his siblings would almost never be used exclusively for his children he left behind.

I can never argue with some of the points you have raised here especially the part about 'MOST TRUSTED' person. However, I always expect that in an ideal marriage, a Man's most trusted person ideally be his wife and vice versa. A marriage where the most trusted person is not the spouse is indeed troubled and isnt an ideal picture.

If the case is such that the wife isnt a trusted partner, than that presents a different situation.
The situation of things in most cases show that ideal marriages are rare. Which means that most people including women, marry for selfish reasons. It is not an express thing that a wife MUST take better care of a man's children. If you agree with that, then also agree with me that a man MUST not always make his wife the sole trustee to his wealth at the point of death. This is why i agreed with the poster that said that a man should better make his children his 'next of kin', but where the children are not up to legal age, then the most trusted person which could be his wife, sibling, friend or other relative should hold his wealth in trust for the children until they reach the legal age.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 10:02pm On Aug 25, 2014
simplyOJ:
My brother, you do not need to discontinue what you have started if they are within your means to carry. What you where advised about earlier is that your immediate family is your primary responsibility, and if God has so blessed you, it will not be out of place to extend some assistance to others, in this case, your late uncle's wife and son.
But people are never 'blessed' enough! I'm only making sacrifices from the little i have to accommodate my late uncle's son's needs. Which means that I'm denying my self and immediate family members some extra luxuries just to care for the boy. Anyways, i was only being sarcastic, I can never be influenced by the obvious SELFISHNESS of some people on this forum to stop helping the poor lad. What got me pissed was that some posters on this thread made it look like a man's sibling or relative can never be trusted with his wealth to take better care of his children in the event of his death, when i have been doing just that for my late uncle's family, despite the fact that the man didn't live a dime when he died. And I'm not even very rich oo, just from my normal hustling.

4 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by cococandy(f): 10:30pm On Aug 25, 2014
Are you doing it at the detriment of your iown immediate family?
If no why should you stop?
I don't see how the posts here discourage anyone from taking care of their siblings.

Paying the fees of a brother is very different from making him your heir when you have a wife and kids.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by cococandy(f): 10:36pm On Aug 25, 2014
Can a wife also entrust her estate to her siblings to take care of her kids in the eventuality of her sudden death?
And don't act like there aren't hordes of wealthy women out there. There are.
I just want to know if it sits well with you that she wills her wealth to her siblings or any other person she TRUST more than her husband so that if she dies before him,he won't use the money to marry another wife and abandon her own.
donpeey22: Your advice was wrong in the sense that you made it seem as though ALL siblings or relatives will always take all the dead man's wealth and live his family with nothing. You didn't take into cognizance the fact that some siblings/relatives could even take better care of the man's children than the wife as some wives have abandoned their children with her late husband's siblings upon his death and got remarried to other men. I think it would have been better if you had said that the man should entrust his wealth to his most TRUSTED person, be it his wife, friend or sibling, if his children haven't grown to the legal age at the time of his death.You made it look like none of the man's sibling/relative can EVER be trusted to take better care of his children in his absence, while the wife is always trustworthy.

9 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by SAMBARRY: 10:37pm On Aug 25, 2014
Confession time grin
see as all of them dey jabo dey go.so Kanwuliiiaaaaaaa was right after all. Nigerian Husband/wife=roommates. Kids are better for next of kin.iyen na nice grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by SAMBARRY: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
So they don't even trust themselves talk less of the wives they are living with grin
interesting. Keep it up tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by soulglo: 10:39pm On Aug 25, 2014
cococandy: Are you doing it at the detriment of your iown immediate family?
If no why should you stop?
I don't see how the posts here discourage anyone from taking care of their siblings.

Paying the fees of a brother is very different from making him your heir when you have a wife and kids.

It's gross irresponsibility in my opinion. Makes no sense to me. You just cannot hide these feelings. If someone truly feels that their wife is that useless that she cannot make sure that their final will and testament is carried out then the marriage always had problems. You cannot feel that poorly about someone and think they do not know. Classic case of "we meet in the bedroom and make babies" marriage. Everything else is separate.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by SAMBARRY: 10:41pm On Aug 25, 2014
Gbam.end of discussion cool
soulglo:

It's gross irresponsibility in my opinion. Makes no sense to me. You just cannot hide these feelings. If someone truly feels that their wife is that useless that she cannot make sure that their final will and testament is carried out then the marriage always had problems. You cannot feel that poorly about someone and think they do not know. Classic case of "we meet in the bedroom and make babies" marriage. Everything else is separate.
Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Kanwulia: 10:45pm On Aug 25, 2014
Or is the union viewed a marriage of convenience which only exist to bear children.

This is more like it in AFRICA AND NIGERIA! kiss
The rest na PINOCCHIO!!! kiss

AKA CHRISTIAN 419 VOWS! cheesy

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by cococandy(f): 10:50pm On Aug 25, 2014
Seriously
soulglo:

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by babygirlfl: 12:12am On Aug 26, 2014
Most Nigerians do not value the work women put into marriage. With respect to housewives (I never look down on full time housewives) I personally can not be one because most of our people don't value women's hardwork.

You can imagine a woman gives up her career to look after the kids only to find out that the kids are her husbands beneficiary which means she will have to live off the kids.

Women work for your money and if you ever have to stay at home to look after the kids, please make sure your name is in the documents of all properties and businesses your husband acquires while you are both married.

13 Likes

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 12:58am On Aug 26, 2014
I believe some men are wiser now.
They finally discovered that some wives agree to marry them because of Their money and may kill Them once they get a chance.
To be on a safer side, they prefer to make their children next of kin.
I think is ffair enough grin

1 Like

Re: Why Are Some Wives Been Denied Next Of Kin Status By Their Husbands? by Nobody: 1:18am On Aug 26, 2014
Why are we always hypocritical in everything we do in this country. There is always a big gap between practice & theory in everything. Ideally we are religious & belong to one faith or ther other. Are we really practicing those faiths as laid down in the holy books? Marriage is like wrapper & shoes. You wear yours to fit you & knows where it pinches.
Everyone is commenting like the motor park tout who thinks only of profits. When we talk of assets we should also remember liabilities.
Or don't dead relatives ever have liabilties? Are liabilities always left for the wives & children alone to pay off?
Our African family system put alot of checks on abuse of a deceased member's estate unless the deceased had cut his ties before his death.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Do You Call Your Husband Daddy? / I Mistakenly Impregnanted My Wife's Sis And Cousin... / Daughters Of Lesbians Kick Against Lesbianism

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.